NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Share
    avatar
    The Freedom Fighter





      : Male
     Rep76

    Age: : 28
     Posts: : 5812

    NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by The Freedom Fighter on February 6th 2010, 1:35 pm

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35257428/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/?GT1=43001


    _________________

    To the first forum that gave me a chance. Thank you. You will be missed.
    avatar
    Zez





      : Male
     Rep24

     Posts: : 8707

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Zez on February 6th 2010, 1:37 pm

    She didn't deserve to be arrested in the first place, and afterwards she still sentenced to needless punishement even after claiming that common sense should prevail. Hypocrisy.
    avatar
    NeoMetalSonic





      : Male
     Rep35

    Age: : 24
     Posts: : 5131

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by NeoMetalSonic on February 6th 2010, 2:24 pm


    Breaking the rules is serious buiness

    codeorange





      : Male
     Rep6

    Age: : 28
     Posts: : 948

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by codeorange on February 6th 2010, 2:55 pm

    "Big Brother" can be such a pain. There's simply no reason to be arrested for doodling on a desk. The world is getting more and more crazy these days. What will they arrest you for next? If you burp, you get 10 years in prison? Unbelievable.
    avatar
    Mobius 1



     Rep0

     Posts: : 280

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Mobius 1 on February 6th 2010, 3:20 pm

    codeorange wrote:"Big Brother" can be such a pain. There's simply no reason to be arrested for doodling on a desk. The world is getting more and more crazy these days. What will they arrest you for next? If you burp, you get 10 years in prison? Unbelievable.

    nah you'd only get 10 if you didn't excuse yourself
    avatar
    Erazor





      : Male
     Rep22

     Posts: : 2153

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Erazor on February 6th 2010, 3:25 pm

    That's her punishment for using the opportunity to write something so lame.
    avatar
    Miles24





      : Male
     Rep2

    Age: : 24
     Posts: : 1994

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Miles24 on February 6th 2010, 5:26 pm

    Hives, please refrain from using only a single emoticon to reply. Anyways, this is extremely ridiculous. I can understand the child receiving a detention, but taking such actions for such a small offense is ridiculous.
    avatar
    silversapphire



      : Female
     Rep0

    Age: : 22
     Posts: : 23

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by silversapphire on February 6th 2010, 7:16 pm

    Doodling? Really? That's ridiculous. There are tons of other crimes being committed, and they're gonna bring in a girl who doodled?

    But seriously, who does that "--- was here" anymore? :P
    avatar
    Zez





      : Male
     Rep24

     Posts: : 8707

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Zez on February 6th 2010, 7:20 pm

    silversapphire wrote:Doodling? Really? That's ridiculous. There are tons of other crimes being committed, and they're gonna bring in a girl who doodled?

    But seriously, who does that "--- was here" anymore? :P

    Everyone at my school.
    avatar
    Sweet_Savannah_Charmy



      : Female
     Rep0

    Age: : 25
     Posts: : 337

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Sweet_Savannah_Charmy on February 7th 2010, 12:30 pm

    Heh, I doodle 15 minutes worth of drawings on my desks without having anything said. I must be an expert of espionage!
    avatar
    Zez





      : Male
     Rep24

     Posts: : 8707

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Zez on February 7th 2010, 2:25 pm

    Sweet_Savannah_Charmy wrote:Heh, I doodle 15 minutes worth of drawings on my desks without having anything said. I must be an expert of espionage!

    I do it for 40. I must be a master to the third degree.
    avatar
    silversapphire



      : Female
     Rep0

    Age: : 22
     Posts: : 23

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by silversapphire on February 7th 2010, 5:58 pm

    Zezima wrote:
    Sweet_Savannah_Charmy wrote:Heh, I doodle 15 minutes worth of drawings on my desks without having anything said. I must be an expert of espionage!

    I do it for 40. I must be a master to the third degree.

    I doodle much of my time in school, but I do so on paper, that way I can save 'em, AND not get arrested. :P
    avatar
    Super Racer Z





      : Male
     Rep15

    Age: : 22
     Posts: : 2580

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Super Racer Z on February 7th 2010, 10:32 pm

    I REALLY want to see what she writes for that Essay. I'd imagine it'd be somewhere along the lines of, "Common sense is becoming more and more uncommon."


    _________________

    My Gamertag is Spec Racer Z and my name is Zack.

    Chatbox Quote
    [13:33:49]  Super Racer Z : Guys, we're talking about Sonic on a Sonic forum. What madness is this?
    [13:34:15]  sykog : I know, this usually never happens in the Piantabox
    [13:34:28]  sykog : Alert the authorities!
    [13:34:42]  Super Racer Z : We are the authorities.
    [13:35:19]  sykog : Oh yeah
    avatar
    Army





      : Male
     Rep2

    Age: : 22
     Posts: : 2110

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Army on February 7th 2010, 11:55 pm

    Gawd, I finally did something that could lock me up in jail.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Guest on February 8th 2010, 7:05 am

    Erazor wrote:That's her punishment for using the opportunity to write something so lame.
    The proper punishment for such as that the first time consists of nothing harsher than a hard backhand, followed by the words, "Don't write stupid things on school desks, and especially don't write anything that can be linked to your name even if you do. Now rub it off with your thumb and get back to learning."
    avatar
    sykog





      : Male
     Rep29

    Age: : 23
     Posts: : 8838

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by sykog on February 9th 2010, 1:46 am

    Mly wrote:The form of Mly's facepalm is inexplicable!
    avatar
    The Freedom Fighter





      : Male
     Rep76

    Age: : 28
     Posts: : 5812

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by The Freedom Fighter on February 9th 2010, 2:36 am

    It just goes to show how bad things are getting. It's bad enough the staff actually thought the offense was worse enough for notifying the police, but the fact the police apparently took it so seriously to the point of handcuffing her. Not to mention they felt to add to the punishment with "eight hours of community service, a book report and an essay on what she's learned from the experience." Sickening.


    _________________

    To the first forum that gave me a chance. Thank you. You will be missed.
    avatar
    NeoMetalSonic





      : Male
     Rep35

    Age: : 24
     Posts: : 5131

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by NeoMetalSonic on February 9th 2010, 5:55 am

    The Freedom Fighter wrote:It just goes to show how bad things are getting. It's bad enough the staff actually thought the offense was worse enough for notifying the police, but the fact the police apparently took it so seriously to the point of handcuffing her. Not to mention they felt to add to the punishment with "eight hours of community service, a book report and an essay on what she's learned from the experience." Sickening.
    Well maybe she should have think about conquences BEFORE breakung the rules
    avatar
    The Freedom Fighter





      : Male
     Rep76

    Age: : 28
     Posts: : 5812

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by The Freedom Fighter on February 9th 2010, 12:29 pm

    ProTagOnist wrote:
    The Freedom Fighter wrote:It just goes to show how bad things are getting. It's bad enough the staff actually thought the offense was worse enough for notifying the police, but the fact the police apparently took it so seriously to the point of handcuffing her. Not to mention they felt to add to the punishment with "eight hours of community service, a book report and an essay on what she's learned from the experience." Sickening.
    Well maybe she should have think about conquences BEFORE breakung the rules
    I doubt they even told her those consequences, so...


    _________________

    To the first forum that gave me a chance. Thank you. You will be missed.
    avatar
    NeoMetalSonic





      : Male
     Rep35

    Age: : 24
     Posts: : 5131

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by NeoMetalSonic on February 9th 2010, 4:16 pm

    The Freedom Fighter wrote:
    ProTagOnist wrote:
    The Freedom Fighter wrote:It just goes to show how bad things are getting. It's bad enough the staff actually thought the offense was worse enough for notifying the police, but the fact the police apparently took it so seriously to the point of handcuffing her. Not to mention they felt to add to the punishment with "eight hours of community service, a book report and an essay on what she's learned from the experience." Sickening.
    Well maybe she should have think about conquences BEFORE breakung the rules
    I doubt they even told her those consequences, so...
    But she KNEWED doodling on public property is against the rules so.....
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Guest on February 9th 2010, 7:21 pm

    @Sykog, re: facepalm;
    I could write a short book on why physical violence, while crude, works when disciplining children and should be allowed for such purposes both in home and in school, but to be laconic: it activates a very, very basic human response that, more or less, consists of "If something makes you hurt, then don't do it."

    @TFF/TO, re: atrocious spelling/grammar errors;
    The irony is too great to describe.

    @TFF, re: punishment;
    That is extreme. Like I said, a good slap, (Technically, I said backhand, but whatever.) followed by a warning would've surely sufficed.

    @TO, re: thinking about consequences;
    While the punishment was extreme and almost surely one she wouldn't even begin to think of if she were sane, as previously mentioned, I agree to that note.

    codeorange





      : Male
     Rep6

    Age: : 28
     Posts: : 948

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by codeorange on February 9th 2010, 8:31 pm

    ProTagOnist wrote:
    The Freedom Fighter wrote:
    ProTagOnist wrote:
    The Freedom Fighter wrote:It just goes to show how bad things are getting. It's bad enough the staff actually thought the offense was worse enough for notifying the police, but the fact the police apparently took it so seriously to the point of handcuffing her. Not to mention they felt to add to the punishment with "eight hours of community service, a book report and an essay on what she's learned from the experience." Sickening.
    Well maybe she should have think about conquences BEFORE breakung the rules
    I doubt they even told her those consequences, so...
    But she KNEWED doodling on public property is against the rules so.....

    For the record, it's not "knewed" but "knew." Secondly, they never told her of the consequences. I don't believe anyone should go into a classroom expecting to get arrested if they do anything so miniscule like doodling on a desk. Now if somebody tried to be a terrorist in school, then that would be absolutely logical to arrest that student. We're talking about doodling on a desk, people. Come on. Even if doodling on a desk is against the rules, it isn't to be treated like a federal law. She should've just been given minimal punishment, like brief detention or something like that...like it was when I was in my early days of school. Gee, now I sound old. lol
    avatar
    Erazor





      : Male
     Rep22

     Posts: : 2153

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Erazor on February 10th 2010, 2:40 am

    The message on a desk was a code. By deciphering it, we can determine when the bomb is going to go off.
    avatar
    Sweet_Savannah_Charmy



      : Female
     Rep0

    Age: : 25
     Posts: : 337

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Sweet_Savannah_Charmy on February 11th 2010, 5:06 pm

    Mly wrote:to be laconic: it activates a very, very basic human response that, more or less, consists of "If something makes you hurt, then don't do it."

    And to be less laconic and more scientific, it is Operant Conditioning; The child does random behaviours. If the child does something which is deemed unacceptable and you give them a physical punishment of sort (the scheduled reinforcement, in proper terminology), the child soon associates doing that behaviour with that punishment and therefore avoids that behaviour.

    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Guest on February 11th 2010, 5:45 pm

    Yes yes, but I was dumbing it down as much as possible so as to work with the possibility that some of those reading are idiots.

    Sponsored content

    Re: NYC student arrested for doodling on desk

    Post by Sponsored content