Anime

Roterblitz

: Male
     Rep6

Re: Anime

Post by Roterblitz on April 4th 2009, 3:40 pm

Zezima wrote:I wish I hadn't read that. I haven't watched the series, and you gave away a spoiler. Oh, well.
    Sorry, it always sounded like you already finished it, I'll use black font for spoilers from now on.
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez on April 5th 2009, 2:48 am

Roterblitz wrote:
    Zezima wrote:I wish I hadn't read that. I haven't watched the series, and you gave away a spoiler. Oh, well.
    Sorry, it always sounded like you already finished it, I'll use black font for spoilers from now on.

No problem. Luckily you didn't give anything really major away. I still anticipate progressing through the series, nonetheless.
    Ringtails

Rep24

Post by Ringtails on April 5th 2009, 3:04 am

Roterblitz wrote:_____ the Psychic.
    Did you read the manga or watch the show?

I did both and I felt that it was done much better in the manga, 'cause they focused a lot more on his thought process. They rushed through that in the show (honestly, it was kinda boring, so I don't blame them).
    Erazor

Rep22

Post by Erazor on April 5th 2009, 8:45 am

Zezima wrote:
    Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:
    Sonic The Armadillo wrote:I only like
    Naruto
    DBZ

I always saw these as "All fight and no story."

Same here. I like more well written stories than "Punch, I win!" "Kick! I win!"
    I'm sorry. I beleive you mean "Punch, Kick, get punch/kicked by bad guy, leave and train for 5 episodes, come back and charge up one attack for 5 episodes, I win.".
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on April 5th 2009, 1:05 pm

Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:
    The Freedom Fighter wrote:I loved DB, DBZ, and DBGT, especially because of the fighting. Fighting was the major thing. It was like a law that every episode had to have a fight in them too. If you were watching it for some other reason, yeah, bad idea.

Not a bad idea really. Like I said I loved Dragonball. It isn't the fighting that I'm talking about. It's the 'all fight and no story' I'm talking about. Plus, Dragonball wasn't as repetitive with their fights as DBZ and GT was which made them more enjoyable.
    But there was story. And it is a bad idea, depending on the reason you had.
    So then what's the problem? If you enjoyed it, then no worries. It's not like you had to pay to watch it (unless you actually paid to watch it).

To the first forum that gave me a chance. Thank you. You will be missed.
    Roterblitz

Rep6

Post by Roterblitz on April 5th 2009, 7:50 pm

Omnihush wrote:Did you read the manga or watch the show?
    I read the manga and watched some of the show afterwords. Near's thought process never impressed me like L, or even any of the secondary characters, he just somehow guessed what years worth of detective work couldn't without doing any research or even having any evidence, it really bothered me that after all they built Light and L up to be, they both get beaten by a author-avatar mary sue with psychic powers.

Last edited by Roterblitz on May 19th 2009, 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez on May 13th 2009, 2:18 am

Bumped for epic discussion.
    XNinjaRed

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed on May 15th 2009, 2:55 am

When it comes to Anime and surprise endings (and ESPECIALLY a show where there is no bias of who's right or wrong) School Days take the cake.

As good as Death Note was when it came to THINKING, School Days is good at showing you the HORRORS of NOT thinking! I think it's downright genius.
    And when I said horrors... I really meant it... scariest part? It's actually pretty realistic too.
    That's right, there are no supernatural characters, no main character that's nice to every girl and SERIOUSLY no "perfect girl". The whole thing is a MESS! And My god I love it for it.

Scared to see a picture of this anime?
    You shouldn't.
    Really, you shouldn't.
    Why?
    Look at it!

Does that AT ALL look like what I just described?!
    I don't think so.
    THAT'S THE GENIUS OF IT ALL!!!!!!

It's like the anime puts on a mask for every public eye making everybody think "Oh, seems like a pretty nice anime where we get the see the school days of a few pretty girls!". Boy would they be wrong. By the time you believe it's innocence, the anime pulls off it's "mask" and you will see the Grim Reaper staring at you right in the eye and giving you all the fears you ever had!

To put it mildly, it's like the question "What's the worst that can happen if you have multiple love interests?" being answered to you slowly each episode.

SLOWLY!

And PAINFULLY!!!!

So as you can see, I highly recommend this anime to anyone who liked the brutality of the story in Death Note.

Seriously, watch it.

Or I'll check if someone's inside you after all! :Twisted!: You'll get it when you see the ending.
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez on May 17th 2009, 11:39 pm

I love the Death Note mentions.
    Ringtails

Rep24

Post by Ringtails on May 18th 2009, 3:26 am

So I'm thinking of School Days and it reminds me of something.

Watch the first four episodes of Higurashi. Heck, watch the entire season.

It's... NOTHING like Death Note, but that's ok! We'll all be happy! :Twisted!:

Post by fluffymoochicken on May 18th 2009, 3:50 am

F*** those "harem" anime series. They're all the same, and you know it. =P

It's amazing that so many of you have said "I want an action series with a great plot", and yet nobody has mentioned the Berserk manga yet. (And I mean the MANGA, not the crappy anime adaption.) Its action isn't as good as my favorite series, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but if you want wonderful artwork combined with one of the best fantasy deconstruction stories ever written, Berserk is the series to read.
    Ringtails

Rep24

Post by Ringtails on May 18th 2009, 3:51 am

fluffymoochicken wrote:F*** that "harem" anime bulls***. They're all the same, and you know it. =P

It's amazing that so many of you have said "I want an action series with a great plot", and yet nobody has mentioned the Berserk manga yet. (And I mean the MANGA, not the crappy anime adaption.) Its action isn't as good as my favorite series, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but if you want wonderful artwork combined with one of the best fantasy deconstruction stories ever written, Berserk is the series to read.
    If by "read" you mean wait decades for the next chapter to come out, then yes, I am "read"ing it.

Post by fluffymoochicken on May 18th 2009, 3:57 am

Ringtails wrote:If by "read" you mean wait decades for the next chapter to come out, then yes, I am "read"ing it.
    Haha, yeah, that's the one drawback the series has. But for what's there, it's quite good. I stopped reading around Volume 19 or 20 (mostly because I couldn't believe all the "comic relief" antics he started throwing in that wasn't necessary), but I'm planning on picking up again soon.

I love the implied tragic romantic subplot between Griffith and Guts... so sad, and yet so good.
    XNinjaRed

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed on May 18th 2009, 5:15 am

fluffymoochicken wrote:F*** those "harem" anime series. They're all the same, and you know it. =P

School Days actually isn't a Harem Anime.
    It's more of a deconstruction of a Harem Anime.
    Kinda like what Watchmen is to the Super Heroes Genre.

Post by fluffymoochicken on May 18th 2009, 5:47 am

XNinjaRed wrote:School Days actually isn't a Harem Anime.
    It's more of a deconstruction of a Harem Anime.
    Kinda like what Watchmen is to the Super Heroes Genre.
    Watchmen is a terrible, color-by-numbers deconstruction story though, so hopefully it's not that awful, then.
    XNinjaRed

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed on May 18th 2009, 6:23 am

Hmmm, well I don't watch lots of deconstructions, maybe it's simply because it's new to me how big of a twist the whole story of School Days does with the genre.

Now that you mentioned it, I guess Watchmen does kinda still go with the Genre allot for a deconstruction...

I guess a better example would be that it's like how Elfen Lied is a deconstruction to the Magical Girlfriend Genre.

Does that make more sense?

Post by fluffymoochicken on May 19th 2009, 3:01 am

If I watched, read, or even cared about Elfen Lied, maybe I would. :P

The only good deconstruction story I've read before was Berserk, and that's because it didn't make it SO PLAINLY OBVIOUS that it was one, like other series do. Berserk actually managed to stand on its own as a great and wonderful story aside from the "deconstruction" aspect, which made it much less arrogant and pretentious than that Watchmen crap. Goddamn, I hate Watchmen. >_>

So anyway.... let's talk Dragon Ball for a minute! ^__^ I myself have seen all of DB, DBZ, and DBGT before, and I can safely say Z and GT are amongst the most completely boring, stupid, and mundane action manga/anime I've ever come across. If you're an adult who still loves these shows, then slap yourself, will ya?

I loved DB, DBZ, and DBGT, especially because of the fighting. Fighting was the major thing.
    The fighting is, ironically, one of the worst aspects of DBZ because it's so monotonous and rarely ever interesting. One reason for this is because everyone has the same general powers (flight, super strength, energy beams, etc.) which means battles run low on originality and get boring quickly.

Another problem is that battles are never won by outwitting an opponent or forming a brilliant strategy; it's all about who's got the higher "power level" for most of the fight, and then possibly pulling out some lame Deus Ex Machina ability or technique at the last minute to save the day - whether it be some new power transformation, a super large ball of energy, or whatever. It's all a bunch of lazy writing.

The best part of Dragonball was when it was a light-hearted children's series, and after that, it fails miserably.
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez on May 19th 2009, 3:04 am

fluffymoochicken wrote:
    The fighting is, ironically, one of the worst aspects of DBZ because it's so monotonous and rarely ever interesting. One reason for this is because everyone has the same general powers (flight, super strength, energy beams, etc.) which means battles run low on originality and get boring quickly.

Another problem is that battles are never won by outwitting an opponent or forming a brilliant strategy; it's all about who's got the higher "power level" for most of the fight, and then possibly pulling out some lame Deus Ex Machina ability or technique at the last minute to save the day - whether it be some new power transformation, a super large ball of energy, or whatever. It's all a bunch of lazy writing.

The action is just too predictable. The best part of Dragonball was when it was a light-hearted children's series, and after that, it fails miserably.

Hold on, lemme just..

:Clap:

Bravo. I completely agree with it. Dragonball Z's fighting aspect was so predictable, you could just guess what the next episode was just by watching one and not caring about it. Absolutely sloppy.
    XNinjaRed

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed on May 19th 2009, 6:44 am

fluffymoochicken wrote:If I watched, read, or even cared about Elfen Lied, maybe I would. :P

Look, I don't watch allot of Deconstructions, so I wouldn't know what you would find a "good" or "bad" decontruction.

I hope I don't come off as if I specifically making you to watch it, you don't need to watch it for all I care, but all I'm saying is School Days is not just a generic Harem Anime even though it borrows some aspects of it, but most of the things in them gets turned around.
    Ringtails

Rep24

Post by Ringtails on May 19th 2009, 1:34 pm

XNinjaRed wrote:
    fluffymoochicken wrote:If I watched, read, or even cared about Elfen Lied, maybe I would. :P

Look, I don't watch allot of Deconstructions, so I wouldn't know what you would find a "good" or "bad" decontruction.

I hope I don't come off as if I specifically making you to watch it, you don't need to watch it for all I care, but all I'm saying is School Days is not just a generic Harem Anime even though it borrows some aspects of it, but most of the things in them gets turned around.
    Really? I mean, I thoroughly enjoyed the show, but remember? It was 12 episodes. The first 10/11 were full on harem. Only that last episode was really the "deconstruction". It was an awesome episode, truly, but still over 90% of the show was about a lame guy being surrounded by pretty girls.
    XNinjaRed

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed on May 19th 2009, 4:08 pm

Even during it it still turns things around.

Harem Anime Main Characters tend to be shy of girls.
    Makoto instead becomes a fullblown man whore.

Harem Anime girls tend to be annoyed at worst when they're not getting attention.
    Sekai and Kotonoha go lose their minds over it. (It only becomes apparent the second half, but it IS present in the first half.)

It makes you look differently at the genre, where as Harem Animes tend to make you go "man what a lucky guy" School Days instead makes you think Makoto as a big asshole.

That's pretty much a deconstruction.

Technically it's a deconstruction in disguise, and removes it's "mask" in the last few episodes.

Oh by the way if you've seen the Anime, you should read the Manga. It has quite a different but still interesting take on the story.
    Ringtails

Rep24

Post by Ringtails on May 21st 2009, 1:20 pm

WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!@%#$%$@#^%

Haruhi second season is airing. Like, today. Or, I don't know if it's the second season or just a new episode that they randomly inserted DURING K-ON's season, but WHATEVER!!! Bricks have been shat.
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez on June 2nd 2009, 2:13 pm

Bumped.
    Shadow

Rep2

Post by Shadow on June 15th 2009, 6:56 pm

I like Anime. Naruto, Bleach and Hellsing Ultimate are my favorites and Devil May Cry.
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez on June 16th 2009, 1:20 am

I don't know what a Harem Anime is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content