Schnickelface's Game Reviews!

Schnickelfritz

: Male
     Rep33

Schnickelface's Game Reviews!

Post by Schnickelfritz on June 25th 2012, 12:42 am

So yeah, a while back [insertusernamehere] suggested I post the game reviews from my blog, Much Ado About Something-Or-Other on here. Instead of just posting links to them I'll actually paste them here and format them, since just posting links is a bit too self-promoting. Here's my question: should I paste all of my reviews here, or just the Sonic game reviews? Danke und bitte.

http://www.sonicommunity.net/h13-much-ado-about-something-or-other

EDIT: aaaaaaaand this was supposed to be in Crazy Gadget. Move plz.

Mkay, over the next few weeks (months) I'll be pasting them all in order.

Last edited by Schnickelfritz on July 24th 2012, 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
    sykog

Rep29

Re: Schnickelface's Game Reviews!

Post by sykog on June 25th 2012, 1:03 am

All of your good ones.

Rep33

Post by 84 on June 25th 2012, 1:11 am

I guess none of the Sonic Reviews will be poster here then.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on June 25th 2012, 1:16 am

84 wrote:I guess none of the Sonic Reviews will be poster here then.
    Go eat poop. Poopeater.

Post by Guest on June 25th 2012, 1:48 am

The Freedom Fighter suggested this. I have SUCH good memory, I impress myself.
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on June 25th 2012, 4:04 am

Super S. Hushimo wrote:The Freedom Fighter suggested this. I have SUCH good memory, I impress myself.
    You get a cookie for that. Cookie

But yeah, post everything.

To the first forum that gave me a chance. Thank you. You will be missed.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on June 25th 2012, 9:15 pm

I don't know why I edited the first post instead of posting it separately. Read the bottom of the first post.
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on June 25th 2012, 11:40 pm

Awesome. I look very forward to seeing them in action. Happy

Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on June 28th 2012, 11:40 am

Here's a copy of my first game review from my blog. Everything I post here will start out with a title, and then a link to the original review. Enjoyyyy

Sonic Adventure 2
    http://garliccheese.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/first-review-2/

Well, I figured to start this thing off, I could write a review of my favorite video game of all time, Sonic Adventure 2. This game gets a lot of hate in SEGA circles, and I'm not exactly sure why. In my opinion, SEGA and Sonic Team did a great job with this game, and I get a lot of fun out of it, personally. Bear this in mind first: notice how in my first post I didn't say I own a Dreamcast. Unfortunately, I do not. I have the Gamecube port of the game, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. While in essence it is the same game, there are a few differences in the game, and so I thought I should tell you before I continue. In this review I'll also set the stage for how I'll be reviewing games. When I review games, I rate them on five things: gameplay, story, graphics, sound, and an overall feel of the game. I'll rate each of these on a score of one to one hundred, and then my final score will be an average of the points. So, without further ado, let's start the first review!

Gameplay: The way this game feels is just spectacular, and I believe it's the way every Sonic game should be set up. In the game there are three ways of playing. First things first, you are presented with the story split into two parts: The Hero side and the Dark side. On the hero side we have the typical, Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. On the dark side of the story, we are introduced to the idea of playing as Dr. Robotnik/Eggman, and we also are shown two new characters, Rouge the Bat, a secret government agent with an obsession with jewels, and Shadow the Hedgehog, whose character is revealed more and more as the game is played. Each character has a specific type of gameplay. Tails and Eggman go through levels busting up robots in Gundam-Style mech suits. Knuckles and Rouge go on scavenger hunt-type levels finding pieces of the Master Emerald and/or Chaos Emeralds. Finally, Sonic and Shadow zip through fast paced action levels, and these are the ones I find the most fun. In addition, each of the characters have hidden power-ups in each level, and while some of them are immediately necessary and must be found before you can continue, others are never specifically used in any instance, but can open up later hidden areas, other powerups, or special animals for the Chao Garden. These special powerups can only be found by using ones found later on, which opens up the game to have a lot of replay value for going through previous levels with newfound abilities to find more content. In each level there are also 3 Chao boxes, which grant you access to the Chao garden upon completion of the level. The Chao garden in Sonic Adventure 2 was the best that has appeared in any Sonic game, ever. Firstly, there's three separate gardens, a neutral one, and Hero and Dark gardens that open up with the first of each of these kinds of Chao that are gotten. In addition, there's a Chao Kindergarten area where you can buy items for the garden, name your chao, and put it into a classroom where it can learn different skills. There's also a Boxing arena and a Racing track, both of which can be used to obtain emblems. All 6 of the characters are playable in the Chao garden, and with using different animals, Chaos Drives, and characters to interact with them, there is literally infinite customization possibility for each. Also, by interacting with them with a specific character and giving them specific Chaos Drives, you can make character Chaos! I'm currently working on a Sonic Chao. With the Chao customization, hidden powerups, and awesome reward for obtaining all the emblems in the Gamecube version, this game has immense replay value, and that's one of the things that makes it my favorite game. My only complaint about the gameplay is that the fun action levels with Sonic and Shadow can feel rudely interrupted by the slightly boring gameplay of Kunckles and Rouge, and the somewhat-awkward gameplay of Tails and Eggman. However, what this game has to offer can easily help you overlook that. Gameplay score: 95.

Story: Well, since this review will hopefully make you get this epic game, I won't give away too much about the story. What I can say, though, is it involves doppelgangers, a giant Death Star-esque space cannon, the Master Emerald, and GUN. It also has a nice twist ending. When I review other games I will give out more about the story, I just don't want to give away much about this particular game. All I can say is: play it and see for yourself. I give the story a 90.

Graphics: The graphics for this game work really well with what this game has to offer. They are very colorful, vibrant, and there's a surprising amount of polygons on some of the levels considering the time it was made. There are several cutscenes mingled in with the gameplay which use the same graphic style as the gameplay itself. This feels little awkward as they zoom in on some of the more hastily textured areas of the graphics, but overall the graphics are rather nice. They deserve a solid 93.

Sound: This section is possibly the best that this game has to offer. The SFX, firstly, are top notch and really set the stage for future Sonic games. There are some classic effects like the telltale ring sound effects, plus new jump and attack sounds that are really smoothly oriented. This game also has some of the best voice acting of any Sonic game. In my opinion, Ryan Drummond has been the best voice actor ever for Sonic, and with Rouge's sassy girly voice, Tails' young but confident sound, and Knuckles' tough guy attitude, this game marks high in voice acting quality. My favorite thing about this game, though, has got to be the music. Each level has a gorgeous track, along with each character's individual theme (most notably Escape from the City and the new version of It Doesn't Matter). Also, the theme for this game, Live and Learn, has got to be one of my favorite songs of all time. Give it a listen if you haven't heard it before, it's awesome. Crush 40 has and always will have a special place in my heart. It goes without saying this section earns a 100.

Overall: All in all, this game rocks. It just rocks. It's fun, looks great, sounds great, plays great, and it's just great in every sense of the word. This is what Sonic games should be. Heck, this is what video games should be! Get this now if you haven't yet. If you already have it, get it again. Seriously. Over all, this game earns a 94.5%. Go get it!
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 2nd 2012, 12:39 pm

Battle for Wesnoth (iPad)
    http://garliccheese.wordpress.com/2011/08/25/ipad-game-review-battle-for-wesnoth/

Searching on Google for "Fire Emblem iPad" surprisingly doesn't yield much results. I'm a big fan of the Fire Emblem series, and I really was looking forward to finding a game of that type for iOS. However, after searching for some time, I was drawn to a little game review at Slide to Play about some game called Battle for Wesnoth. At the time, this game was $1, so I picked it up and thought, why not? Little did I know that I got much more than my money's worth.

Gameplay: As far as the gameplay for this game goes, it's very smooth on the iPad. It reminded me as a sort of mix between Civilization and Fire Emblem. Your units are set up on a grid made up of hexagons. You can move each unit every turn, and there are different types of land you can move them on. Each race of unit will have different advantages on different types of ground. The units don't each have character in themselves except for the main characters. Units can be bought at your starting castle by your main character, and placed on the battlefield. Units can also be transferred from previous levels. The way to get money for these units is to capture villages, which earn you a set income per turn. Having a unit sit on this space also grants them certain privileges. There are many different races and each of these races have a cluster of campaigns. The races all have their own units, and each unit, upon leveling enough, can gain an upgrade to another type of unit. Certain units have certain advantages over others. Humans and elves are creatures of order, so they are most benefited during the day. Creatures like goblins and undead are creatures of chaos, so they're active at night. As far as the campaigns go, there are tons, and I've invested a good 15 hours into the game and I'm on the second one. This means that you can invest a whole lot of time into this game, and still not get bored with it. The way the game works is just really nice, and there's even a multiplayer game for online or pass-n-play, which is surprisingly really good. I only have a few complaints about this game. Firstly, it almost seems like they make it too easy for the players in some cases, with letting you undo moves or return back to any turn in the game to redo something. This is balanced out, however, by the fact that some levels are impossible to get on the first try, since you can't anticipate everything that's going to happen. Overall it's a nice touch which often encouraged me to continually retry things different ways to see what worked best. Also, some of the buttons feel a little small and hard to press on the iPad screen, but this is a small enough problem since the rest of the UI is well utilized. Gameplay earns an 80.

This is a typical screenshot of gameplay. The starting recruitment area is in the top left, and there's a village to the east of it.

Story: DISCLAIMER-Generally, I won't be adding this as a section to iOS games simply for the fact that if I were to rate a game like Angry Birds on its story, it would fall disappointingly short of expectations. However, there are some games which do incorporate a story, and if they do then I will rate them. This game does indeed have a story, but unfortunately I simply haven't played it enough to really rate it. I do know that the all the campaigns will probably intertwine, and I'll just have to play it to find out. So for now, I can only rate this fairly with N/A.

Graphics: This game has some beautiful artwork in it. The graphics for the game itself aren't too shabby either. The sprites have several animations to each of them, and they all fit together rather nicely and really add to the overall experience of the game. The landscape is also really well detailed, and for an iOS game it reminds me a lot of the graphics of a computer game something like those of Starcraft. It may not sound that good, but when you think of how good the graphics were in Starcraft and compare them to the usual iPad game, you realize how good they really are. I give them a 75.

Sound: I really like the way this game sounds as well. The music is really well orchestrated, but a bit repetitive. The battle and movement sounds are well done, but overused with each unit. However, one can't judge too harshly when you don't have a full console or computer to work with. So, I give them an 80.

Overall: This game is a really good idea of what iPad games should be. It's just what I was looking for that day when I Googled "Fire Emblem iPad", and I'm really glad I found this gem. Even though I got this game for $1, its price has now risen to $4. Still, it is a steal and a great game. I highly recommend getting this game. It earns an 78%.[u]

Last edited by Schnickelfritz on July 2nd 2012, 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on July 2nd 2012, 5:58 pm

Awesome, another review! I'm not sure how much I'd like an iPad game, but if it is like Civilization, I suppose it's worth it. If I ever get an iPad I'll look for it.

Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 2nd 2012, 6:21 pm

It's one of my favorite iPad games to date. It's a bit more like Fire Emblem than Civ, though.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 2nd 2012, 6:29 pm

Peggle HD

http://garliccheese.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/new-game-review-peggle-hd/

Okay, I admit it. I'm a PopCap fanboy if ever there was one. They make the best casual games I've ever played, from the likes of Bejeweled to Plants Vs. Zombies. I've got nearly every single game they've released for the iPad and PC, and yesterday I stayed true to that trend by purchasing Peggle HD the day it came out. Peggle is such a great game whose beauty is masked by its simplicity, as it is with every PopCap game. I think it plays beautifully on the iPad, and if you aren't persuaded to purchase it by the end of this review, then I have failed my purpose in life.

Gameplay: The way this game plays, as I said before, is incredibly simple. At the top of the screen you have a cannon of sorts, and the player can change its direction and fire balls from it. The balls bounce down through the rest of the screen, bouncing off of colored pegs and bricks. The goal of the game is to clear all of the orange pegs and bricks in the level. There are also blue ones, which don't do anything special, purple ones, which give you a boost in points, and green ones, which give you a special power depending on which character you are using. At the bottom of the screen, a bucket moves side to side, and if your ball lands in it, you get the ball returned to you. This can be very helpful, since you only get 10 balls for every level. There are 10 characters, each with 5 levels. However, this game, like every other PopCap game, has immense replay value simply for the fact that it is downright fun.

After you complete the game, you can go back and play through every level trying to get a better score with any character you want to. My favorite character has got to be Renfield, as his special lets your ball come back at the top once after it falls off, which is great when trying to nail some harder-to-reach pegs. There's also challenge levels, which give you certain handicaps and goals on previous levels. Overall, this game is fun, which is priceless when it comes to iOS games. How this game carries over from the PC is a little confusing at first, but relatively easy to control. I do often find myself using the fine tuning wheel as regular controls, because it is a little difficult getting a perfect shot by swiping the screen. Overall, though, it works pretty well with touch controls. You can also do two-player duels, and record instant replays of some good shots you make. I give this section 90.

Story:...... Um, it's PopCap, guys. N/A.

Graphics: The graphics for this game are very simple, which fits in with what the game is. While they are simple, that's not to say in any way that they don't look good. The sprites are very crisp, and the animations all work together very well. Having played this game on several platforms (PC, Mac, X-Box, iPod nano, and now iPad), I can say that the iPad version may just have the best graphics of the lot of them. This game was made to be played in HD. 93.

Sound: The sound effects for this game leave something to be desired, I think, and they're really the only place this game may fall short of par. While the effects themselves do sound good, I think the transfer over to the iPad more capable speakers from the iPhone could have been handled better. The music can get redundant, and isn't nearly as good in Peggle as it was in games like Bejeweled 3 and, most notable, PvZ. While they both fit with the atmosphere of the game itself, I often find myself muting them out of redundancy. It seems like the SFX department was a bit rushed for the HD version of this title, but with how long we've waited for this port, it seems a worthwhile sacrifice overall. 80.

Overall: So, in all honesty, I like this game. It feels great, looks good, and sounds decent. I'm sure I'll be playing the heck out of this game for years to come on my iPad, as I have with every other system I've played it on. Great job, PopCap, you've done it once again. 87%

Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 2nd 2012, 6:30 pm

Starfox Assault
    http://garliccheese.wordpress.com/2011/08/30/game-review-2-starfox-assault/

I first got into the Starfox franchise a while ago, when I bought Starfox 64 on the Wiiware shop. I got a great deal of fun out of it, and since then I've been looking for Assault in every game store I go into. About a year and a half ago, I found myself with Starfox Adventures, and while it was a great game, it wasn't the one I was looking for. 2 months ago, I made my way to a local GameStop to get my sister a copy of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, and I stumbled upon the shelf of used GameCube games, where, Lo and Behold, in the corner sat a $7 used copy of Starfox Assault. I hastily picked it up. Starfox has always been one of those series that Nintendo hasn't released a bunch of games for, but every game they release is good (I'm looking at you, Metroid). Assault, needless to say, fulfilled all of my expectations.

Gameplay: When it comes to this section, I have but one thing to say: Yes. Starfox Assault was just what I was looking for when I wanted more of Starfox 64. There's three types of gameplay (which seems to be a trend with games I really like), and the first type is the tried-and-true Arwing flight. The first level you play, you're introduced to the Arwing flight. The way this works is not unlike play SF64 with a GameCube controller. It works just like it, but there are a few different control settings for more hard-core players. Basically, you move with your control stick, A to shoot, B to bomb, R to brake, Y to boost. What you'd expect for the most part. It runs every bit as beautifully as it did 14 years ago. Next, we've got some Landmaster action. Coming from Super Smash Brothers Brawl, I expected the Landmaster to be a sprawling massive overpowered tank. In Starfox Assault, this isn't the case, which isn't to say it's not good. The gameplay for the Landmaster is horrendously fun, but a little bit of a setback from the other two types of play. Trust me when I say it's good fun for a while, but you'll find yourself longing for the other gameplay segments. Lastly, we have what could possibly be the most fun section of the game, the sections in which you're on foot. Now, I know what you're thinking, unless is doesn't have to do with the fact that this sounds a little too much like Starfox Adventures. Don't get me wrong, though, this game incorporates it more like a third-person-shooter/platformer, and they pull it off masterfully. You can jump around like a crazed buffoon, and there's a smorgasbord of different weapons you can get, including my favorite, the one I lovingly call The Hate Launcher. And no, that's not what the weapon is called. It's actually the Homing Launcher, but I had no idea that's what it meant when it said "H Launcher". So, naturally, my moron instincts took over. In any case, these segments are good fun. There's also a multiplayer game in which up to four players can play as Fox, Slippy, Krystal, Falco, and a few more unlockable characters, in the Arwing, Landmaster, and on foot. This is stupidly fun. Overall, this game lives up to its predecessors with a few minor flaws. I shall rate this with 85.

Story: In the beginning of the game we're introduced to the new and improved Starfox team, made up of Fox, Falco, Slippy, and Krystal. Peppy has evidently retired from dogfighting and taken to piloting the Great Fox with ROB. The team is seen chasing down Andrew Oikonny, the nephew of Andross, and supposedly defeating the last vestiges of Andross' army. After defeating Oikonny, a strange new creature called an aparoid attacks the team. The team then gets a distress call from good ol' Katina, where they defeat another aparoid and find that Pigma Dengar, a previous Starfox traitor, sent out the call. He takes something called a core from the wreckage. The team chases him down, meeting up with Star Wolf along the way, and when they catch him they discover he's been taken over by the aparoids. They quickly rid themselves of him and retrieve the core. They are about to assault the aparoid homeworld when they receive another distress signal, this time from Sauria (which changed its name from Dinosaur Planet over the year, evidently). After saving the day there, they learn that Corneria has been assaulted by the aparoids. With help from Star Wolf, they destroy the infected General Pepper's ship, and the General is saved by Peppy in the nick of time.After that, they move on to the orbital warp gate, and defend it from aparoids, yet again aided by Star Wolf. They advance on the planet, and after a long and gruesome level, Peppy sacrifices himself in order to let them have access to the core of the planet.Star Wolf comes once again and helps them, using themselves as bait as they near the queen. Then, the team destroys the queen and realize that ROB and Peppy survived the crash of the Great Fox, and it is hinted that Star Wolf may have survived.Overall, the story of the game was rather predictable, but enjoyable all the same. Not bad, considering. 75.

The new Starfox team. Look! Falco has a Hate Launcher!

Graphics: The graphics for Assault were all very nice. They took the exceptional graphic capabilities of Starfox Adventures and multiplied them tenfold. The Arwing, enemies, and the Landmaster look great, and so do the small, on-foot forms of the characters, along with their weapons and buildings. This game has a lot better graphics then some Wii games. 87.

Sound: The music of this game is classic Starfox stuff, nicely orchestrated and fast paced. However, the "NO MERCY!" ...... voice acting leaves a little to be "NO MERCY!".... desired. The voices of Fox and Falco are nice, my only "NO MERCY!".....complaint is Slippy's voice acting. Particularly in one level where "NO MERCY!"...he repeatedly shouts the same thing over and over again. But this can be overlooked by how great the music is. 70. "NO MERCY!"

Overall: I was very impressed with this game. It's a lot of fun, genuinely. I like the flow of the gameplay elements and how they work together, and it's all very well set up as a story. The levels are all fun enough to make you want to keep playing. The only really bad thing about this game is the lack of "Do a barrel roll!"  79%.

"NO MERCY!"
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 2nd 2012, 6:31 pm

Pulse: Volume I
    http://garliccheese.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/ipad-game-review-pulse-volume-one/

A while back, in fact, March 11th, when I bought my iPad 2, one of the first games I looked for was Guitar Hero. This was brought about by the fact that after school one day I saw some girl outside the building playing it on an iPad, and it looked like the coolest thing ever. Sadly, there was no iPad Guitar Hero game to be found, and I generally dislike getting non-HD games for money. That's why I was very excited when Cipher Prime came out with a new game called Pulse. I was drawn to it by the fact that it was the iPad Game of the Week some time ago, but I waited to let the reviews age a bit before getting it. A few weeks later, I caved and paid for the game, even though I had to pay the full price then as the Game of the Week sale was over. The reason I've been looking for games of this type is because I'm a drummer, and rhythm based games have always appealed to me. Cipher Prime's Pulse really fits the bill.

Gameplay: Let me start by saying this: The screenshots do not do this game justice. The way it's all put together just feels right, and to me the feel of a game can't be captured in a picture. Basically, you've got a game screen with a set of circles extending out at equal increments that little dots appear on and spin around. Following a steady beat, a pulse (where the game gets its name) goes out through each ring continually, and as the pulse passes through each dot, you tap the dot and it plays a note. The rhythms can get quite complex, and the pulse speed and ring amount changes per song. If you miss a note, you hear a rather disappointing clicking sound. And it doesn't make the pretty things fly out of the dot. There's also a variety of songs, from the ascending basic notes of Straylight, to the slow jazz of Let's Roll, all the way to the surprisingly fitting rap in Follow my Voice. There's currently 11 songs, and there's been one update. All the songs are great, and each have different feel. Don't think for a second that having more rings on the screen increases the difficulty, because one of the hardest songs in the game, Cirrus, only has four. You are given a percentage based on how many notes you hit on each level. This game is great for some fancy-finger action. The menus can be a bit slippery. Really my only complaint. 90.

Story: lolwut N/A

Graphics: This game r purdy. The colors on each level change, and the combinations are all very aesthetically pleasing. The menus are all nice looking as well. For an iOS game, it's definitely some of the highest quality I've seen. The level graphics are all different, too. As I alluded to before, upon pressing a note correctly, a flurry of little graphics shoots out if it in different colors, adding a nice smooth feeling over all to the game. There's not really any complaint I can make about it. Everything is nice. 85.

Sound: This is where the game takes the cake. Since it's a game largely about songs, it can be expected that the music in this game is great. And it is. The songs are all massively different, yet all beautifully orchestrated. They make this game worth the price tag, believe me. They're all catchy, fun, and great to play. My favorite is an upbeat tune called Sakura (which I think means flower in Japanese. How manly.). It's very catchy and fun to play, and it gets stuck in your head and leaves you craving to play more. There's not really anything I don't like about the sound, but the menus are a little monotonous. Overall, though, great sounding stuff. 93.

Overall: Well, here we are again, with another great game. I apologize for rating largely games I really like, but the fact of the matter is, I don't have many games I don't. So yet again, I find myself reviewing another great quality game, which I must score with 89%.

No mercy!
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 2nd 2012, 6:33 pm

Anomaly: Warzone Earth
    http://garliccheese.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/new-game-review-anomaly-warzone-earth-hd/

I should start by saying this: I like tower defense games. A lot. There's just something about them that makes me happy. If you don't know what tower defense is, where the heck have you been? The basic premise developed from an in-game minigame from Warcraft II. Basically, you are given a set track through which some type of enemy troop will walk, and your job is to build towers with different abilities to hinder their progress through the map and destroy them before they reach the end. Well, the thing about this game is that it's not tower DEfense, it's tower OFfense. That means that you control the little guys going through the map and attacking the defensive towers. This is a really neat concept that is well placed in Anomaly. I first read about this game in GameInformer a while back and after looking on Amazon for it I couldn't really find a way to get it. I was really happy when it came out for the iPad, especially since it was developed by Chillingo, Ltd. (possibly the best casual game designer since PopCap) I never got around to buying it till last week. Boy, was I missing out.

Gameplay: Coming from a background of playing a lot of TD games in my life, I came into this game expecting to find it strange, honestly. The thought had never really occurred to me of playing a well-known game genre completely backward. It's like playing a Mario game in which you're Bowser hiding in castles and waiting to fight him. It's weird to think of, but when you really think of how well-done it can be, it really opens up a lot of potential. In fact, looking back, I'm really surprised no one thought of this before. Well, if anyone was fit to pioneer this endeavor, it's definitely Chillingo. With great games coming from them such as Cut the Rope, Infinity Field, Collision Effect, and (I hesitate to say) Angry Birds, needless to say I had high expectations. And they didn't let me down, either. Firstly, the UI for this game is a winner. It's set up beautifully to make it so easy to set out paths for your troops it's not even funny. You can buy troops, place them, pick up and use an assortment of special attacks, and scroll the map with just a few taps. You can see how much money you're bringing in, how far you are in the level, and the health of your troops without detracting from the main action of the game. There are different types of troops with different abilities and strengths, and they each have upgrades which make them stronger, for a price. I never really thought about what it was like for the guy sending little dudes at my towers, but if I had, I imagine it would work a lot like this. Each mission has different objectives, and they aren't easy. I played on the lowest difficulty setting and still had a heck of a time getting through the last few! You get a few different special tactics that'll be dropped on you by plane during the levels. There's a repair function, a smokescreen to hide your troops, a decoy to distract the enemies, and an airstrike to destroy towers. They all work very well for their purpose and you are given just the right amount to maintain the proper challenge. In addition, there's different types of enemy towers, each with different ways of handling them. Very well done. My only complaint is the lack of units you can have on the field at once. While I feel like it could be done where you send out a bunch of little cheap guys, instead you manage 4 or 5 guys with specific traits. This isn't really a big issue, it just takes the game away from its roots a bit. It deserves a solid 85.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="500" caption="Basic gameplay screenie. The blue thing is a decoy and its AOE."][/caption]

Story: ... eh, this game's story reminds me of Battle: LA. Aliens invade and you kick their butts. Derp. Can't really rate this. N/A.

Graphics: The iPad never ceases to amaze me. Some of these games have the best graphics I've seen. This game was originally a Mac game, and it looks just like it on the iPad. Everything is smooth, the path-planning screen looks really awesome, the shots from both enemies and allies are both clear and detailed, and the landscape looks realistic. Well done. The beginning sequence could use some cropping, however, and in the thick of things the power ups don't stick out that well. 80.

Sound: Everyone in this game has Australian accents. This makes it awesome. I don't really get why, but I'm not sure I care. I mean, they're Australian. Yes. The music is decent and well orchestrated, the SFX are all very crisp, and the voice acting is surprisingly well done, but the characters tend to shout an awful lot whilst fighting. But they're Australian. 83.

Overall: Well, what can I say? I've been introduced to something completely different than my usual and I feel like a better person because of it. Not really, but this game has a lot to offer to everyone, even TD fans like myself. Thinking of games from a different perspective might be fun sometimes. Maybe I would like to play as Bowser once in a while. Your Tower Defense is in another castle. 82%.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 2nd 2012, 6:34 pm

Kirby Week: Episode 1-Kirby Air Ride

http://garliccheese.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/kirby-week-episode-1-kirby-air-ride/
    Welcome to the first ever event here at Much Ado! Due to the fact that in the next few months, 2 new Kirby games are coming out, I thought I'd commemorate this awesome series by reviewing four of my favorite games from it! I'll be reviewing Air Ride, Crystal Shards, Super Star, and Epic Yarn. I'll start with the one I've played the most, good old Kirby Air Ride! This game was one of the very first I played on the Gamecube and it was one I must have rented from Blockbuster 10 times. I then fully received it as a gift a few years ago, and played the heck out of that thing with my family. Unfortunately, the disc got too scratched because of how much we used it, and it wasn't till a few months ago (when I picked up Starfox Assault) that I found a copy of it. I then got that one and I've been playing it since. I'm not sure what it is about this game that keeps bringing me back, but it's so darned fun I don't really want to question it, frankly. But I'll do my best to explain to you what it is about this gem that makes it so great.

Gameplay: What do you get when you mix Starfox, Mario Kart, and Kirby together? Something not nearly as good as Kirby Air Ride, that's what! In truth, that's pretty much the essence of this game. But there's something that's just much better about it and how it plays. You're given, at the start 3 methods of play. There's a basic Air Ride section, first. You only have access to one star to ride on at first, but as you beat more races and get more achievements, you get access to many more with different stats. This section, like all the others, is available for up to 4 people. The controls of this section are the same throughout almost the entire game, so I may as well explain them now. Your star accelerates automatically, and can be steered with the control stick. Since part of this game is the flying aspect, you have typical airplane-style flight controls as well, with up and down doing the opposite directions. A can be held down to charge up your ride, and depending on which one it is, it'll have varying speed. Fully charging it will give you a burst of speed, but in return you'll be slowed down while charging. Items can be picked up or enemies can be swallowed with A to change you into different forms, each giving you a different ability. Basically, that's all there is to the Air Rides. Win races.

Next up is City Trial, my favorite part of the game. You start out with the crappy Compact Star and as you go around the city for a set amount of time picking up items that will boost your stats. In addition you can find better stars to ride on. After every run through the city a random stadium event will occur and each one will rely on particular stats gained during the Trial stage. Different stars are also suited to different events. In addition, during the Trial stage you have the ability to find parts of two "Legendary Stars" the Hydra and the Dragoon (featured in Super Smash Bros. Brawl). These stars have amazing stats and are well suited for events. During the Trial some events can occur which will modify the stage, grant you new powerups, heal you, cause Dyna Blade to attack, etc. Over all, the City Trial stage is incredibly fun to play on.

The last game is Top Ride. This transforms the game into a Top-Down racer with one of two stars to choose from. Since I find this one rather hard to explain, I'll just embed a video showing it to you.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps69GMotbXo&fmt=18]

Overall, this game is very slick, and there are tons of things that can be suited to people's tastes. Very , very pleasing. 90.

Story: Boyo boyo! N/A.

Graphics: For a Gamecube game, these graphics are very nice, with an immense amount of polygons and frames. I suppose you'd expect this from a game in which the main protagonist is entirely spherical. As it is with all Kirby games, the graphics are very colorful, vibrant, and cute, and they fit in very well with what this game is. It is also very bright and easy to see everything on the screen, even with 4 players. Despite this, the rendering on many of the buildings in the city leaves a little to be desired with it's lack of depth, but this is a rather minor complaint. 85.

Sound: I think practically every Kirby has well-known music. Kirby Air Ride doesn't fall short of that standard at all. Nintendo is notorious for using full orchestras for all of their music, and again, Kirby doesn't fall short. Each level, stage, and gameplay type has full soundtracks, practically, of amazing orchestra music. The effects all blend together as well, with a different one for everything happening on the screen. It does tend to get a bit overwhelming at times, but that's just a small complaint. 85.

Overall: One word can sum up this game. Yes. This is the standard all racing games should go by, and every Kirby game never fails to please me greatly. Air Ride is one of those pleasing games. 86%.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 2nd 2012, 6:36 pm

Asphalt 6: Adrenaline
    http://garliccheese.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/ipad-game-review-asphalt-6-adrenaline/

Ah, Gameloft. A leeching company if ever there was one. Their tactic is to take great games, copy their ideas, and make them into iOS games. Everybody knows they do this, but no one cares because their games are good. This is one. When I got myself an iTunes gift card a while back, there were two things I knew I wanted: Plants Vs. Zombies and a racing game. After going back and forth between Real Racing 1 & 2, I decided to go with 1 for a few reasons. This left me with a buck. While Real Racing was fun, it lives up to its title in the sense that it is a realistic racing game. Unfortunately, the hard truth was that racing in real life is a bit boring. That night another game went on sale, a little game by Gameloft called Asphalt 6. Since it was a buck, and I had a buck, I picked it up. This was just what I was looking for when I wanted a racing game.

Gameplay: There's a whole mess of gameplay options for this game that can be tweaked to fit your exact playing style. I went with the option best suited to my tastes: Accelerometer steering, and a button on either side for gas and brake. The sensitivity of the accelerometer can also be finely-tuned. There's two gameplay options to begin with: single player and online multiplayer. These both have a few different game types. The single player is a campaign-type level progression in which every race has a main goal and 2 secondary goals to achieve more stars. More stars means more cars to unlock. You can purchase cars, upgrades, and sponsorships with money earned in every race. Some of the race styles are a basic race, a two player duel, collection of certain items, a drift challenge, and more. These are all spread out over many different venues, all of which are beautifully made. As far as the controlling for this game goes, I can best describe it with smooth. Everything often goes exactly as you plan once you find what control options best suit you. You can drift, boost, and jump with ease to gain more points and money. The multiplayer runs very fast. Each user is given a certain level based on how many races they've won online. They also have access to any of the cars or bikes they've unlocked in the campaign. Each car has different stats, and obviously the better ones are more expensive and harder to unlock. To admire all of your cars, you can set up a fully 3D garage in which you can look at them all with detail. You can also customize them to look the way you want. It's nice seeing my souped-up Murcielago zipping through Cape Town adorned with flames. There's just something about it. You can also pick up nitro boosts and activate them throughout the race. If your meter is full, you enter a Tron-reminiscent "Adrenaline" sequence in which your car goes extremely fast, the ladnscape streams by, and cars get destroyed very easily. It does sometimes get a bit easy to crash at times, and struggling to get pickups can get messy. With a laggy multiplayer and these minor complaints, I give it an 80.

Story: Does this game have a story? Do I hate cheese? N/A.

Graphics: Yet again another astonishing iPad game as far as graphics go. Everything is made to go super fast, and looks great at high speed. Your car is beautifully shaped, and Adrenaline is pretty downright nice looking. Unfortunately, while the graphics look great at high speed, the same can't be said for when you stop. If you crash or hit the brake, you get a closer look at how little polygons manage to get by here., and your opponents are pretty much indistinguishable from one another. Still, it is nice looking. 75.

Sound: As far as racing games go, you never really can fairly judge them on the sound. They focus too much on making the cars sound realistic, there's not really any other sound in the game. While the cars sound nice, some worked-on music in the background would be a nice addition, and the "Vroom vroom"-ing gets tiring.70.

Overall: Yay for getting games when they're on sale. I do this all the time, and find many a great game because of it. It's currently free, even, so get it now if you haven't already. While it's no Kirby Air Ride, and it definitely has its flaws, Gameloft did a great job with this one, and I can't wait for Asphalt 7. 75%.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 2nd 2012, 6:38 pm

Kirby Week: Episode 2- Kirby Super Star
    http://garliccheese.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/kirby-week-episode-2-kirby-super-star/

Welcome to another episode of Kirby week! In anticipation for the new game Kirby Mass Attack and the eventual release of Kirby Wii, I'm doing reviews of my four favorite games from this series. Next up, Kirby Super Star! Yet again, this is another great game that I don't actually have the original version of; I only have the DS remake, Kirby Super Star Ultra. The game is the same in essence, and I still think it's a blast to play. This game stays true to usual Kirby form, unlike Air Ride or Epic Yarn. It's a 2D sidescroller where you can jump and float, and inhale enemies and copy their abilities in Kirby's trademark form. Basically, this game is quintessential Kirby, and boyo boyo is it fun!

Gameplay: I apologize for any inaccuracies in this section, since, as I said before, I only have the DS remake, which, while it is very good, will differ from the original game. In any case, I'll do my best to explain the game. First things first, the basic way the game works. It's a 2D sidescroller, firstly. You play as Kirby, who can walk, dash, inhale, and copy abilities. In addition, Kirby can repeatedly jump and float by tapping the jump button. A large part of the gameplay is the ability to copy powers from enemies. By inhaling enemies, Kirby can swallow them and take their abilities. There's several different abilities that Kirby can capture and use. Also, enemies can be turned good and will either follow you around as a helper or be controlled by a second player. This adds a fun co-op element to the game. Now, onto the rest of the gameplay. There's 7 different games within this game, really. First, you have Spring Breeze, a remake of Kirby's Dream Land, in which King Dedede steals the food from the land and you, as Kirby, must take it back. Next, we have Dyna Blade, where a giant bird is terrorizing the crops of the land and you must stop her. Kind of basic stuff so far. After this is Gourmet Race, a 2D race between Kirby and Dedede involving platforming to see who can collect the most food and win the race. Next up is The Great Cave Offensive, where Kirby falls down into a hole, and on his way out has to collect a mess of treasure, including some familiar Nintendo icons. Following this, we have Revenge of Meta Knight, which takes place on the Halberd (Meta Knight's ship). Kirby goes through several time-based levels and destroys parts of the ship as he goes. Next is possibly the most interesting one, Milky Way Wishes. In order to stop the sun and the moon fighting, you have to go around a board and play minigames... Wait, sorry, you have to visit several planets, and instead of being able to copy your enemies, you find Copy Ability Pedestals, which, once found, grant you the ability to select whichever ability you want whenever you want to. Lastly, we have the Arena, which is basically a round of fighting all the bosses in a row without dying. All of these games add their own twist to the classic Kirby formula, making this smorgasbord a blast to play. In addition to these, there are a few minigames which can be unlocked. This game feels very nice no matter what system you play it on, and this section earns a 90.

Story: There are several stories in this game, but all of them are rather cliche. This is easy to expect from a Nintendo game for the most part, so it can be overlooked easily enough. The dialog in Revenge of Meta Knight is quite fun as well, and I enjoyed it. I'll give it an 80.

Graphics: Now, this is a 1996 game for the SNES, but that doesn't mean it can't have good graphics. The thing I liked about the graphics was the fact that they did a great job with shading with the amount of pixels they had. The colors fit together very well to make the game have a sense of depth, and the enemies and characters all pop out at you with their brightness and color. Everything about the graphics of this game screams "Kirby". 85.

Sound: The sound of this game is so darned fun, it's a blast to play. Each copy ability has its own set of sound effects for every attack, the levels all have their own fast-paced and cheerful 8-bit type music, and they all fit together rather nicely to create an awesome audio experience, especially considering the fact that this is such an early game. W00t! 90.

Overall: Yes, there is practically nothing I dislike about this game. It's exactly what Kirby games should be, and exactly what they are. It's a real sight to behold this game and see the impact it's had on gaming itself. 86%.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 2nd 2012, 6:41 pm

Kirby Week: Episode 3- Kirby and the Crystal Shards

http://garliccheese.wordpress.com/2011/09/17/kirby-week-episode-3-kirby-and-the-crystal-shards/

In a game in which the main character is a sphere, you'd think it would first debut on a system that could handle the 3D. With Kirby, this wasn't the case, and it took him 8 years since his debut to come out on a system that he could be 3 dimensions on. Something interesting to note about the Kirby series is that every one of his main-series games have been 2D. So when I say that Crystal Shards is 3D, I suppose I really mean 2.5D. If you're curious about what this means, I shall attempt to explain it to you. Think of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The game itself is played in two dimensions, but the ground that is behind and in front of your characters is clearly visible. That is to say, they're in a 3 dimensional world moving in a 2 dimensional space. The same can be said of Kirby and the Crystal Shards. This opens up a whole new are of graphic development, and HAL Labs took this endeavor head on. It worked really well, and the game itself stayed true to Kirby's genre. This game is a whole mess of fun. Since I can't find a decent picture of the logo of this game as per usual, I'll show you guys a webcomic featuring a character appearing only in this game.

Gameplay: Since I've actually played this game on the Nintendo 64, I can review this with full confidence. I have to say first that the controller for the Nintendo 64 left much to be desired, unfortunately. The three-pronged set-up in addition to the rather obnoxious control stick made for a rather unpleasant experience most of the time. That being said, it's still tolerable and it doesn't take too much away from the experience of this game. Crystal Shards takes the basic, well-known Kirby mechanic and brings it to its full potential. However, I'll first go into the controls. Basic as ever, you move side to side with the control stick and jump and float with A. To inhale enemies you press B. The thing about this game is that the abilities can be combined by inhaling more than one enemy, which I think is just awesome. It gives you a sense of accomplishment when you discover a new combination of abilities. They all do drastically different attacks, which are each suited to different situations, and all have different combinations available to them.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="400" caption="Fire sword Kirby, a combination of Fire and Cutter."][/caption]

The health system is basic, with a particular amount of health being gained an lost from different food and enemies. While the game can sometimes present you with completely 3D environments, the gameplay itself is always 2D (such as one instance in which you climb up a spiraling tower; you always can move right to left but you slowly spiral your way up to the top). This provides the game with a great sense of depth, which allows for more fun to be had exploring new places and levels. There are a few instances of different gameplay, such as Kirby riding on the back of King Dedede or in a minecart, but overall the brunt of the gameplay is the usual Kirby, which is by no means a bad thing. The game really lends itself to any play style with the amount of abilities you can get plus some of the alternate paths you can take in the level. Really, I have nothing bad to say about this section other than the fact that it would play better on the Gamecube controller. So get it on the Wii Virtual Console. I shall give this section a 85.

Story: On a planet populated by fairies, Ripple Star, an evil force called Dark Matter take over and a fairy named Ribbon escapes with a magic Crystal. Dark Matter chases her and breaks the Crystal apart and causes Ribbon to fall to Pop Star. After Kirby, Adeleine, Ribbon, Dedede, and Waddle Dee find all the shards, they defeat Dark Matter and save the day. This is pretty standard stuff, and while it's different than the usual Kirby, it's still a bit bland for a game. I suppose it can be overlooked by how good the game is, but sometimes story is key in a game. 70.

Graphics: The sheer amount of depth involved in this game is extraordinary, especially since the game is entirely 2D. Kirby games are notorious for how colorful and vivid they are, and Crystal Shards fits right with them. There are tons of different types on enemies that all stick out, and in addition each of the copy abilities have their own attack graphics. The ones with widespread effect have really neat graphics and sometimes the environment reacts to them. For an N64 game, the graphics are pretty top-notch. 95.

Sound: Yet again, a section that rarely disappoints with Kirby games, and a section that doesn't disappoint with this one. The music for this game is incredibly upbeat and catchy, and really gets stuck in your head. The enemies have some pretty neat sound effects, and the boss battles are very sinister sounding at times. Kirby's voice is cute as ever, and overall this game sounds great. 90.

Overall: Another great game from HAL labs. They've done a good job making games I like, for the most part. This is a title any Wii user should definitely pick up on the Virtual Console, it's a worthy buy that you'll be playing again and again. 82%.

This post goes out with special thanks to my friend irwegwert. You may remember the name from the first TWMC volume where I mentioned him. He constantly lends and gives me video games that I always end up liking, and last summer he even lent me his N64 and all of his games for it, giving me the chance to play this and many other great titles. Thanks, bud!

*Please note: I do not own the rights of this webcomic. Brawl in the Family and all rights to it are owned by Matthew Taranto and Chris Seward. I do, however, highly suggest you check it out if you haven't already at brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com; I think it's downright awesome.

Post by Guest on July 2nd 2012, 6:52 pm

I really like your review of SA2, haven't tried any of the others since I've never played them.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 2nd 2012, 8:16 pm

Much obliged. More are on the way for the next few days.
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on July 3rd 2012, 3:17 am

So much to say...let's see...
    The Peggle review is persuasive indeed, so good job on that. Wink1

Star Fox Assault...you may be one of the only other person who actually likes this game to its fullest. Myself included. Silly It's how I got into Star Fox actually, so I'm hoping that Star Fox WiiU will try to keep that style.

Pulse reminds me of a game I used to play with Pianta, Jamz I think. It looks fun. Are those songs created for the game itself?

This game is shooting toward my alley a bit. I love backward games, they're rare and valuable. Good on them for making it. tounge

Air Ride is a game I've debated years on whether to get or not, until my memory cards filled up and I never got to buy another one. I didn't realize the copy powers were still in it, so I'm very interested now. Maybe someday if hits the Virtual Console.

They must work fast if they already have a sixth game. Silly But it's good to know the iPad has good racers, I think they'd be a fun change from rhythm games.

Finally, another game I own. Silly Well, Super Star Ultra. It was my first official Kirby game after years of trying to get one. Totally worth it. cheese

And a Kirby game I've wanted to get for awhile, simply because of the copy combinations. And the fact you referenced Brawl in the Family, one of the most amazing webcomics ever, wins you so many cool points.

I now await more reviews! Happy

T@ilz

Rep6

Post by T@ilz on July 3rd 2012, 4:19 pm

I also love Star Fox Assault, especially the multiplayer. I honestly didn't like Kirby Air Ride all that much. For whatever reason, it felt boring and empty to me. And Sonic Adventure 2 remains my third favorite Sonic game. My second favorite is the very first Sonic the Hedgehog, and my first is Sonic Adventure DX.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 3rd 2012, 5:17 pm

T@ilz wrote:I also love Star Fox Assault, especially the multiplayer. I honestly didn't like Kirby Air Ride all that much. For whatever reason, it felt boring and empty to me. And Sonic Adventure 2 remains my third favorite Sonic game. My second favorite is the very first Sonic the Hedgehog, and my first is Sonic Adventure DX.

Starfox Assault was awesome. I liked Kirby Air Ride, maybe be ause it was the only GameCube game I played for a really long time. Is there a reason you prefer DX over the original, or...?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content