Schnickelface's Game Reviews!

T@ilz

: Male
     Rep6

Re: Schnickelface's Game Reviews!

Post by T@ilz on July 3rd 2012, 6:47 pm

I only prefer it because I lack a Dreamcast, and the game feels more polished up in terms of physics. I have played the original, and I couldn't help but hate the Chao garden and controls for whatever reason. So I prefer DX. I don't have the nostalgia goggles for Dreamcast mainly because I'm a young Sonic fan.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 4th 2012, 12:17 am

Cool, cool. I have a Vintage pair of nostalgia goggles because I got a Dreamcast before July 5th.
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on July 22nd 2012, 12:20 am

Waiting for moar.

To the first forum that gave me a chance. Thank you. You will be missed.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 22nd 2012, 12:35 am

The Freedom Fighter wrote:So much to say...let's see...
    The Peggle review is persuasive indeed, so good job on that. Wink1

Star Fox Assault...you may be one of the only other person who actually likes this game to its fullest. Myself included. Silly It's how I got into Star Fox actually, so I'm hoping that Star Fox WiiU will try to keep that style.

Pulse reminds me of a game I used to play with Pianta, Jamz I think. It looks fun. Are those songs created for the game itself?

This game is shooting toward my alley a bit. I love backward games, they're rare and valuable. Good on them for making it. tounge

Air Ride is a game I've debated years on whether to get or not, until my memory cards filled up and I never got to buy another one. I didn't realize the copy powers were still in it, so I'm very interested now. Maybe someday if hits the Virtual Console.

They must work fast if they already have a sixth game. Silly But it's good to know the iPad has good racers, I think they'd be a fun change from rhythm games.

Finally, another game I own. Silly Well, Super Star Ultra. It was my first official Kirby game after years of trying to get one. Totally worth it. cheese

And a Kirby game I've wanted to get for awhile, simply because of the copy combinations. And the fact you referenced Brawl in the Family, one of the most amazing webcomics ever, wins you so many cool points.

I now await more reviews! Happy
    Totally never saw this post XD. More to come soon, now response time..

I loved Starfox Assault. One of my favorite Gamecube games.

Yeah, all the songs from Pulse are original, and they're great.

Air Ride is worth getting, IMHO.

Actually, the 7th one just came out, too! XD

Super Star is definitely an awesome game.

But of course. BitF has a severe case of awesome.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 24th 2012, 5:20 pm

Kirby Week- Episode 4; Kirby's Epic Yarn
    http://wp.me/p1MpqI-2J

Welcome to the penultimate episode of Kirby Week! In anticipation of Mass Attack and Return to Dreamland, I'm writing reviews of games from the Kirby series, and excellent game series if I do say so myself. Be sure to check tomorrow for a review of Mass Attack, but for now, we've got one more game to do. And now for something completely different. Kirby's Epic Yarn really is something completely different in its style of play, drastically so from games like Super Star and Crystal Shards. While there wasn't anything wrong with the core gameplay of the regular series, Epic Yarn is a welcomed break from the norm, and is still an excellent game.

Gameplay: This is where the main break-off point comes from the rest of the Kirby series. We all know the basis of the core Kirby gameplay, of course. Walk around and inhale enemies, copying their abilities to use them against other enemies. Well, forget everything you know about Kirby when it comes to Epic Yarn. The core elements of the gameplay are completely erased and changed in this title, which, while a bit startling, is a very nice and fresh outlook on a well-known series. I like that HAL Labs had the boldness to change the basis of their series. This is something that Nintendo does with Legend of Zelda with the release of almost every one of those titles, and so far, the idea has yet to fail. This idea, of course, requires two main criteria to succeed. First, there actually has to be a core gameplay element to change, otherwise it wouldn't really be a change at all. There also has to be a return to the basic elements, otherwise it will feel like the change is too permanent. We know Kirby's Epic Yarn didn't do this, since Return to Dreamland has been shown to be a return to the Kirby we know and love. So, since they did it right with Epic Yarn, it can be expected that it works very well and is incredibly fun to play. And

]

So, since Kirby is completely made of yarn, it makes sense that you can't inhale enemies in typical Kirby form. Instead, he is granted the ability to latch onto enemies and unravel them, seeing as they're all made of yarn as well. You can also coil them up into a ball of yarn to throw at another enemy. The controls for this are simply pressing and/or holding the 1 button on the Wiimote. Kirby has also lost the ability to float, so instead you'll press 2 to jump, and holding it after this will allow you to turn into a parachute and glide slowly back the the ground. Double-tapping a direction with the D-pad will transform Kirby into a car and dash forward. Double-tapping down while in the air causes Kirby to change into a wight and slam down. As far as level design goes, the yarn schtick goes further than just the characters. You'll be pulling ribbons, zipping zippers, and yanking buttons to change the scenery to fit your needs in a classic platforming game design.You'll be going through several worlds, each with their own hub and level design, fitted out with gimmicks to match. You'll also be given a flat that you can deck out with furniture that you can buy or find in the levels. Music CD's can also be found which will give you access to the level's music. Beads can be collected during the levels to fill out a completion meter for a different type of medal at the end. At the end of almost every level your character will turn into a super transformation that's really large and has several attacks. Lastly, a second character can join and drop out at any time and play as Prince Fluff, and they will have access to everything Kirby does. The levels can get rather difficult and frustrating at times, and this is sometimes because of poor design in enemy placement or abilities. Overall, even though this gameplay is drastically different from the usual Kirby, it's still a truly epic yarn. 87.

Story: Now, I will be going easy on this section since Kirby games have never had great storylines and I'm not expecting this too either. In essence, an evil being named Yin-Yarn takes over dreamland and sucks Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight (at different times) into a magical land of yarn. Here, Kirby meets Prince Fluff and learns that the land has been split apart. They stitch the land back together and meet up with their friends and save the day. The story, while generic, did its job. However, there were some instances of rather literal narrations by a man whose voice made me think I was an idiot or a very young person. I'll give it a 75.

Graphics: Holy snot. This game is so beautiful I think I cried tears of syrup when I first saw this game. Everything is so vibrant, happy, colorful, playful, and fun I just feel like a better person playing it. Everything pops out and is visible and clear, it's just awesome. The style is different but welcome, and some clever tactics are employed to give the game a sense of depth. 95.

Sound: See above. The music for this game works just fine with how it looks and feels. Everything is cheerful and fun, gets stuck in your head, and matches with whatever level you're currently on. The SFX matches the style and feel of the game as well. Also a 95.

Overall: Kirby is awesome. He can eat people and steal their strength, he's adorable, and he adapts to change with grace. Oh yeah, baby, Kirby's on the Wii, and rocking it! 88%

Post by Guest on July 24th 2012, 5:25 pm

Great review, never played the game, but it seems good.
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez on July 24th 2012, 5:27 pm

I review this review a 9 out of 10, would read again.

Post by Guest on July 24th 2012, 5:28 pm

...Oh, you actually read the reviews rather then scrolling to the bottom and looking at the number?

derp
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on July 24th 2012, 5:56 pm

The one thing that shooed me off Epic Yarn was how it was impossible to die, so it seemed unchallenging. But your review made it seem like it does have challenge, so I'm interested again. Good job.

Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 24th 2012, 6:16 pm

Kirby Week-Episode 5; Kirby Mass Attack
    http://wp.me/s1MpqI-gah

This episode of Kirby Week marks the end of the first event here at MAASOO. I've been playing Mass Attack, and though I've not finished it, I've got a basic enough idea to write a review of the game. The handheld Kirby games have always differed from the basic core Kirby gameplay, and Mass Attack seems to be a big culmination of all their efforts. Mass Attack feels like Canvas Curse mixed with Super Star Ultra mixed with LOZ: Four Swords, with a bit of Super Mario in there for good measure. While I sincerely hope that this isn't the end of the DS's tenure, if it was, it would make the console go out with a bang.

Gameplay: Now, you're probably thinking, "Gee, my amazing and awesome Cheddarface, how could these games possibly combine with eachother?".Well, I'll tell ya: In a stylus-controlled action-platformer in which you can control up to 10 Kirbys separately at a time, that's how! Mass Attack really reminds me of a Mario game on steroids, honestly. I should begin by saying that the game is all controlled with the stylus. In some sense, it reminds me of an iPad game. To move your Kirby(s), you tap where you want them to go to make them walk, and double tap to run. You can tap in the air to make them jump, swipe one in any direction to make them throw themselves that way, and you can put them near an enemy to make them all jump on them and attack. You can also tap and hold on them and then drag a path for them to float along. You will begin the first level of every world with one Kirby. As you go through the level you will find various types of fruits, each adding to a meter at the top. Every time the meter is filled, you will be given another Kirby. There are certain things in the levels which require a certain amount of Kirbys to activate, and each level has a particular number of Kirbys you need in order to play it. Plus, having more Kirbys means more damage! When a Kirby is hurt, they will turn blue, notifying you that if they are hit again, they will die. If they die, they will turn into ghost-like forms floating slowly to the top of the screen. If you can manage to fling a Kirby at them and bring them back down, they will turn back into blue Kirbys. As far as the combat goes, there are several different hazards to your Kirbys, from rising quicksand, to arrows raining down, to decoy fruits attached to aerial enemies, to spike shooting cacti. They all have different methods of dealing with them, but your best option is always to fling Kirbys at them. You can also collect medals during the levels which you can show to somebody, but I haven't quite worked out what they're for. By the looks of it, there are 4 worlds you have access to in the game, the completion of each one unlocking the next. Each world has a boss attached to it as well. So far, the game plays great. I do, however, have a few complaints about it. Firstly, it almost seems like this game runs a bit far from its roots. At least the others had some type of copying enemies abilities, but this isn't present in Mass Attack. It can get very hectic at times and cause you to lose a lot of Kirbys, but that is a good part of the fun. Sometimes it feels like the space is cramped and it actually might be better suited on an iPad screen. Lastly, since my DS is screwed up, I can only see the top screen half of the time, so a small display of how much fruit you've collected or medals on the touch screen would be nice. Over all, however, none of these detract from the fact that this a commendable game, so I give it an 85.

Story: Well, Kirby isn't renowned for its storylines in games, and this is true in Mass Attack. One day, Kirby fell asleep. Suddenly a bad guy named Necrodeus came and split him up into 10 Kirbys. I haven't gotten to the end but we can all infer what happens. I gotta say N/A.

Graphics: While it is a Nintendo DS game, and I don't have high expectations, Kirby Mass Attack really delivers. With distinct environments, easy-to-see notifiers, vibrant landscapes and enemies, and mass adorability, Mass Attack's graphics really hit the spot. This kind of graphical quality is always what to expect from Kirby. 93.

Sound: The music is as colorful as ever, with large orchestrated yet simple and catchy beats and rhythms, its easy to get the songs stuck in your head. Hearing Kirby's voice tenfold is extremely fun, but I was disappointed that a lot of the effects were recycled from Kirby Super Star Ultra, and when they're all doing the same thing it gets to be a bit of a headache. I'm not sure what the deal was with that, but the game still sounds pretty good. 80.

Overall: This was a DS game well worth the purchase. Kirby's games have always been good and mostly likely always will be. 1o times the Kirbys really is 10 times the fun. I can't wait for Return to Dreamland. I'm proud to end Kirby week with this masterpiece. 86% Kirby is still great, even when he doesn't suck.

I can't believe I said that.

Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 24th 2012, 6:16 pm

Sushimo wrote:...Oh, you actually read the reviews rather then scrolling to the bottom and looking at the number?

derp
    Die.
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez on July 24th 2012, 6:21 pm

Schnickelfritz wrote:
    Sushimo wrote:...Oh, you actually read the reviews rather then scrolling to the bottom and looking at the number?

derp
    Die.

It's a compliment, it means you're like IGN.

Oh.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 24th 2012, 6:42 pm

Zez wrote:
    Schnickelfritz wrote:
    Die.

It's a compliment, it means you're like IGN.

Oh.
    Die.
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez on July 24th 2012, 6:46 pm

Zombies.
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on July 24th 2012, 6:49 pm

Awesome, I loved Mass Attack. I normally avoid stylus heavy games due to fear of screen-scratching, but it was still a good game. Also, your pictures are dead I think.

Post by Guest on July 24th 2012, 7:05 pm

I generally don't like dying, Schnickelfritz.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 24th 2012, 8:05 pm

The Freedom Fighter wrote:Awesome, I loved Mass Attack. I normally avoid stylus heavy games due to fear of screen-scratching, but it was still a good game. Also, your pictures are dead I think.
    Yeah, that's a problem I run into frequently. When I review a game that's not in the PC or iPad, I can't use my own screenshots. Then I have to use ones from other websites, and if they take them Dow... Then I have to get more, and I'm lazy. That's why I generally don't review those as much.
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on July 24th 2012, 8:48 pm

I figured out that the pictures work, but Forumotion is acting weird with pictures. I tried to clean up your code too, so that helps.

Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 25th 2012, 1:50 am

Much ass grassy ass.

That's Mexican for....

Ching Ching Wang pood.

Or something.
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on July 25th 2012, 4:13 pm

By the way, when I searched for Kirby Mass Attack logo in Google Images, your website was the first result.

sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog on July 25th 2012, 7:21 pm

I'm not really a fan of all-stylus games, but Mass Attack was pretty good.

Post by Guest on July 25th 2012, 8:19 pm

How good?
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on August 11th 2012, 7:03 pm

So what's next?

Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on August 11th 2012, 8:01 pm

There are more on the way. I've been having a lot of technical difficulties getting posts to get up on the blog lately.
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on August 12th 2012, 3:35 pm

Good thing you've got us. Wink1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content