Re: Schnickelface's Game Reviews!

Post by BlockFan234 on August 14th 2012, 12:59 pm

shnick have you ever played Action 52? lulzfaec
    The Freedom Fighter

: Male
     Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on August 26th 2012, 1:41 pm

Gravedigger How's that review series going?

To the first forum that gave me a chance. Thank you. You will be missed.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on August 26th 2012, 2:02 pm

Oh, hey, that. I'll post a couple today.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on August 26th 2012, 3:06 pm

PC Game Review: Split/Second

http://wp.me/p1MpqI-3L

Well, I know it's silly, but I like racing games. I'm also not exactly sure why this is the case, but I some of them seem to draw me in. They're fast, fun, and often good to play with friends. My first experience with a PC racing game was when I got Sonic Riders on the PC a while ago. While it only worked on my computer for a short while, I played the snot out of it and fell in love. After listening to a podcast episode in which someone was raving about this game on the X-Box, I became intrigued and looked it up. I found out it was available for the PC for $10. I picked it up crossing my fingers in the hope that it would work on my PC, and it did. I had to tweak the graphics and resolution settings, but I really do like this game. For a $10 racing game, the smooth feel and addictive quality to Split/Second can compare to that of PopCap games.

Gameplay: I'll have to start off by saying that I think this game is made to be played on a console with a controller. While playing with the arrow keys works well enough, it feels a bit forced and that the port from console to PC didn't change the game whatsoever. Menu options are scrolled through with arrow keys, chosen with Enter, and buttons like Tab and Escape are used for changing options. It really doesn't seem like the game is optimized for the PC, but it still runs smoothly with the keyboard controls. During the gameplay, the only buttons used are the arrow keys, tab, shift, and enter. You make your car accelerate by pushing forward, and steer with the left and right buttons. Drifting is rather hard to do, but it is done by holding the down key whilst turning. While you race, if you drift around turns smoothly or do something called drafting to gain enough points to fill up a meter. Drafting is essentially driving directly behind or near an opponent for an extended period of time. Depending on how many of the three bars of the meter you have filled, you can activate things called power plays. These are the stars of the show. By activating a power play, you can attack enemies, open shortcuts, or change routes. They all take the form of massive explosions of buildings, trucks, oils tanks, helicopters, roads, airplanes, and more, and they're all massively fun to use. Killing multiple enemies at once gives you more points. By filling up the meter more you can activate stronger power plays, but you have to exercise being careful, since you can easily use them to destroy yourself. There are several game modes as well, all of which I haven't played yet. However, I have seen the basic race, a time trial in which power plays are automatically triggered, a mode called elimination in which every so often the player in last is kicked out, and something called air strike, my favorite mode, which is a hectic race in which a helicopter is constantly chasing you and firing missiles at you. There's also many cars to be unlocked with different stats that you can use. In addition, there is a same-computer multiplayer mode which I have yet to attempt, and an online mode where everyone else has better cars and you get your butt kicked. While it does have its flaws and misgivings, for a PC racer this game is truly among the best. 85.

Story: In essence, you are on a reality TV show in which you have to win a certain number events per episode to move on. N/A.

Graphics: I was rather shocked when I installed this game and had to spend an hour defragmenting, reorganizing, and deleting files on my hard drive in order to install the game. Apparently the game had some pretty top-notch cutscenes involved with it, but even after all this I still had to install it without them. On top of that, the game starts with the highest resolution and graphic settings, and it was unbearably choppy and slow that I had to change both to the lowest possible. After this, though, I'm happy to say that it still looks astounding watching the landscape fly by, seeing the awesome and huge power plays run their course, and watching slow-mo clips to see how you destroyed yourself or someone else. This game looks just awesome, and although I wish I could run it on a higher setting, it still earns a 90.

x

Sound: Another pleasant surprise in this game was how the cars had tons of different sound effects for everything they do. Not only that, they actually sound realistic. you can almost feel the shockwave when a massive building collapses, and the rock music, while repetitive, is very fitting and pleasing. 90.

Overall: All of these things make it a very alluring game. It's fun enough, pretty enough, and easy enough yet challenging enough to keep bringing me back for more. Lump that in with its low price range, and you have a game worthy of having a PopCap logo on it. Well done, BlackRock, well done. 88%
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on August 26th 2012, 3:30 pm

Super Racer Z should love this. Silly

Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on August 26th 2012, 3:55 pm

Thought he might. Though I'm not nearly ask knowledgable in racing games as he is.
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on September 15th 2012, 3:34 pm

Are you going to post more?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content