Army
20 posters

Phantom
    Phantom

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 VOZLn

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medal13

: Male
     Rep11

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Empty Re: Avatar (the movie)

Post by Phantom December 31st 2009, 4:55 pm

I just got back from my second viewing of "Avatar," and this time in 2D, so I was able to focus more on the thought behind the movie. It's understandable how some people won't "get it," or say that it's ripping off other movies, but themes like "man vs. nature" or "tradition vs. technology" have been around well before movies were even made, and this theme obviously still resonates in this day and age. One can argue whether the Marines or the Na'vi were right in their fight against the other--the humans needed the resources on Pandora because Earth was a wreck, or the Na'vi simply fought to defend themselves.
    As for the visual effects, there were times in which I completely lost track of what was made in the computer, and that is a rare feat. I've always believed that a good movie completely ensnares your attention and imagination such that one completely forgets that one is sitting in a theater and completely engrossed in a meticulously detailed alien world that is still grounded in a logic all its own, whereas a not-quite-as-good movie is a bit more transparent and shallow; of course that's a CG monster because it doesn't look convincing. Have we really become so desensitized to CG effects that we're just unwilling to suspend disbelief? Are we ever going to allow anything to wow us anymore?

Anydangway, I enjoyed this movie very much.
    Starlight Rage Zone
    Starlight Rage Zone

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 WFmvl

Rep0

Post by Starlight Rage Zone January 9th 2010, 10:01 pm

It took ages to get into but once it did I loved it.

Unfortunately the fire alarm went of and we had to sit outside for 20 minutes before we were allowed back in and continue....we got some free tickets though for next time. :)
    Independence76

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 GOMM8

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medalg10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medal13

Rep4

Post by Independence76 January 9th 2010, 10:07 pm

Hey guys, I found something!

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 AvatarScript
    Erazor
    Erazor

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Imagee10

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Blackr10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medalw11Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medalg10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 White10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medal13

Rep22

Post by Erazor January 9th 2010, 10:19 pm

Damn. I was just about to post that.
    Schnickelfritz
    Schnickelfritz

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 White10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medalg10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medal13Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medalw11

Rep34

Post by Schnickelfritz January 10th 2010, 12:39 am

Oh boy, and environmentalist liberal stupid blue people fil that's Pocahontas in space! I REALLY want to see that.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest January 11th 2010, 4:32 pm

It looked f***ing ridiculous in the trailer. It seemed like the whole plot would be about Blue Cat people.
    But I saw it in 3D last Saturday and loved it.
    And then after I got a headache.

3 hours of nonstop 3D burns.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medalw11Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 White10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh January 11th 2010, 6:45 pm

Am I the only one that thought this movie kinda sucked?
    Zez
    Zez

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Blackr10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medalw11Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Zigzag10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez January 11th 2010, 6:47 pm

Jmh wrote:Am I the only one that thought this movie kinda sucked?

*Raises hand*
    Phantom
    Phantom

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medal13

Rep11

Post by Phantom January 14th 2010, 3:09 pm

I would much rather have a simple story that is pulled off well than convoluted mind-numbing idiocy.
    Roterblitz
    Roterblitz

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Blackr10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medalw11Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medalg10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 White10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medal13

Rep6

Post by Roterblitz January 14th 2010, 3:56 pm

It was one of the most beautiful looking movies I've ever seen, it wasn't just a high-resolution wallpaper, it really felt like the planet was alive.

That being said, the "plot" was somehow laughably predictable, made no sense, and borderline propaganda all at the same time. Not that it should keep you from seeing this, I mean, do we watch Kung Fu movies for their brilliant plot and superb acting? No. Sometimes it's ok to turn your brain off and enjoy some eye-candy.

Personally, I was hoping for something a little more intelligent, but you might like it.
    Link451
    Link451

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Kz2PK

Rep11

Post by Link451 January 24th 2010, 1:27 am

I'll be honest. I thought this movie was a piece of crap. You can say it had good sound effects or good action sequences, but actually having a good story to follow is the most important part of a movie. The story's premise was decent; it's how it was executed that screwed it up. It just stretched on and on and took forever getting to the point. There was constant pointless dialogue and pointless scenes that ultimately just delayed the important parts or good parts of the movie.

I mean, okay; it started off somewhat decent and interesting, the guy first controlling the avatar and facing the beast and all. But everything just went downhill from there.

I can't describe how frustrated I was after watching this. Not only did it drag on and on, but in doing so it made the movie incredibly boring. Again, the main part and most important part of the movie screwed the rest up.

There went three hours of my time I could've been using for much better things. Seriously, one of the most wasted three hours of my life in a long time.

Ugh... gah. I'm just so disgusted with this film. I was expecting it to be good with what others had said. Not just a bunch of good special effects and rare cool action sequences completely fallen short due to an awful storyline pacing.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 ZtZYh

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Blackr10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medalw11Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Zigzag10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 White10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medal13Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter January 24th 2010, 1:42 am

Good review; I get what ya mean. The movie really doesn't look that grand, and frankly, I'd prefer story over graphics any day. So if they can't do that well enough, they'll have a tough time selling me over to supporting it.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medalw11Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 White10Avatar (the movie) - Page 2 Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh January 24th 2010, 8:10 pm

Hmm... Looks like everyone else hated it too!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content