The Sonic Eras

Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

The Sonic Eras Kz2PK

: Male
     Rep7

The Sonic Eras Empty The Sonic Eras

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 November 16th 2011, 9:22 pm

I think there is a disagreement or misconception between different people on what the "eras" or "reigns" of certain Sonic games are. So I thought I should post my initial reasongings for them (you can post your own too).

I think Sonic has 3 eras:

1. The Classic Era- Sonics 1 through 3 and Knuckles, CD, Spinball, MBM, pretty much all Genesis/GameGear/Saturn games

2. The Modern Era- came after Sonic was given the green eye; Adventure series, Heroes, Advance, ShadtH, 06

3. The Dark Era- Unleashed, Colors, Rush (probably one of the only decent games in the Dark Era), storybook series, Sonic 4

Okay, now it's time to analyze. Sonic was strong during his original classic days, and rose to power in the modern era. But then, he fell apart. Sonic 06 marks this fall. Sonic moved from 3D Adventure/obstacle to a rushed/running 2.5D experience.

In the Dark Era, Sonic is not given a defined role. He has contrasting illogical stories (Sonic 4) that attempt to reinvent the classics by making them something else than they are. In reality, the classics are better. The Modern era has been completely wiped out and is likely not to return because of the failed epidemic of Sonic 06. Thus, the dark ages are among us!

Shadow's death in SA2 brought us a foreshadowing of Sonic's death in the Dark Era.
    Nnoitra Hushimo
    Nnoitra Hushimo

The Sonic Eras 56qtD

The Sonic Eras Medal13The Sonic Eras Medalw11The Sonic Eras Medalg10

Rep35

The Sonic Eras Empty Re: The Sonic Eras

Post by Nnoitra Hushimo November 17th 2011, 12:18 am

In your words, I'd say the Modern Era days were his best, even though people thought 06 was terrible I thought it was alright, beat it without a hassle and not even a glitch (surprisingly), although it was kind of boring playing the same stages in 3 different characters. I really think they could pull off another 3D game, given the time they need to make it not be totally boring and make it fun like SA2 was back in the day.

Sonic Team, hear my cry! At least consider thinking about another 3D Sonic game!
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

The Sonic Eras Imagee10

The Sonic Eras Blackr10The Sonic Eras Medalw11The Sonic Eras Zigzag10The Sonic Eras White10The Sonic Eras Medal13The Sonic Eras Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic November 17th 2011, 2:15 am

Sonic 06 was release in the "Dark Era" hence why it is on the 360 and PS3
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

The Sonic Eras ZtZYh

The Sonic Eras Blackr10The Sonic Eras Medalw11The Sonic Eras Zigzag10The Sonic Eras White10The Sonic Eras Medal13The Sonic Eras 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter November 17th 2011, 5:57 am

So...wait...in 2005, Sonic Rush came out, starting your Dark Era. Then Sonic the Hedgehog came out in 2006, going back to the Modern Era (which isn't technically modern), only to go back to the Dark Era with Secret Rings. Am I right?

Genesis Era>Saturn Era>Dreamcast Era>Gamecube Era>Wii Era. That's mine.
    Techimo
    Techimo

The Sonic Eras VOZLn

The Sonic Eras Medal13The Sonic Eras Medalw11

Rep15

Post by Techimo November 17th 2011, 12:57 pm

Classic, Dreamcast and Modern fit well in eras. So really your just insulting the modern era.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

The Sonic Eras Kz2PK

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 November 17th 2011, 10:17 pm

NeoMetalSonic wrote:Sonic 06 was release in the "Dark Era" hence why it is on the 360 and PS3

It's not absolute clear eras, but close enough. In any case, 360 was on decline.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

The Sonic Eras Imagee10

The Sonic Eras Blackr10The Sonic Eras Medalw11The Sonic Eras Zigzag10The Sonic Eras White10The Sonic Eras Medal13The Sonic Eras Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic November 18th 2011, 12:25 am

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:
    NeoMetalSonic wrote:Sonic 06 was release in the "Dark Era" hence why it is on the 360 and PS3

It's not absolute clear eras, but close enough. In any case, 360 was on decline.
    But you can't do that if they not actual eras
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

The Sonic Eras Kz2PK

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 November 21st 2011, 11:17 am

NeoMetalSonic wrote:
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:

But you can't do that if they not actual eras

The eras are by way of gameplay, not by consoles. So I could do it this way. They are two separate entities (console and gameplay). Sometimesthey satisfy one another, but not always. I'm strictly ooking at the game's functions, not the actual consoles.

Since StH360 functions like Adventure series, it belongs with them within my definition of era.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

The Sonic Eras Imagee10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic November 21st 2011, 3:54 pm

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:
    NeoMetalSonic wrote:But you can't do that if they not actual eras

The eras are by way of gameplay, not by consoles. So I could do it this way. They are two separate entities (console and gameplay). Sometimesthey satisfy one another, but not always. I'm strictly ooking at the game's functions, not the actual consoles.

Since StH360 functions like Adventure series, it belongs with them within my definition of era.
    Then you're completely misusing the word and killing the English language
    Use a different word to what you are referring I suggest series
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

The Sonic Eras Kz2PK

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 November 21st 2011, 10:27 pm

NeoMetalSonic wrote:
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:

Then you're completely misusing the word and killing the English language
    Use a different word to what you are referring I suggest series
    Fine, works for me. Sorry for the confusion, couldn't think of a better word at the time.
    TheDemon155
    TheDemon155

The Sonic Eras WFmvl

Rep0

Post by TheDemon155 January 8th 2012, 4:02 pm

I love all the eras am i the only one who does?
    Nnoitra Hushimo
    Nnoitra Hushimo

The Sonic Eras 56qtD

Rep35

Post by Nnoitra Hushimo January 8th 2012, 4:32 pm

No...
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

The Sonic Eras Imagee10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic January 8th 2012, 4:51 pm

TheDemon155 wrote:I love all the eras am i the only one who does?
    A heretic, Burn him!
    Chaos_Overlord
    Chaos_Overlord

The Sonic Eras VOZLn

The Sonic Eras Medalw11The Sonic Eras Medal13

Rep11

Post by Chaos_Overlord January 9th 2012, 8:42 am

TheDemon155 wrote:I love all the eras am i the only one who does?
    No you are not. I enjoy all of the Sonic Eras as well.
    Nnoitra Hushimo
    Nnoitra Hushimo

The Sonic Eras 56qtD

Rep35

Post by Nnoitra Hushimo January 9th 2012, 4:05 pm

There won't be any body burnings here, Neo.
    Gaming Misfit
    Gaming Misfit

The Sonic Eras WFmvl

Rep1

Post by Gaming Misfit January 15th 2012, 5:02 pm

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:I think there is a disagreement or misconception between different people on what the "eras" or "reigns" of certain Sonic games are. So I thought I should post my initial reasongings for them (you can post your own too).

1. The Classic Era- Sonics 1 through 3 and Knuckles, CD, Spinball, MBM, pretty much all Genesis/GameGear/Saturn games

2. The Modern Era- came after Sonic was given the green eye; Adventure series, Heroes, Advance, ShadtH, 06

3. The Dark Era- Unleashed, Colors, Rush (probably one of the only decent games in the Dark Era), storybook series, Sonic 4

Okay, now it's time to analyze. Sonic was strong during his original classic days, and rose to power in the modern era. But then, he fell apart. Sonic 06 marks this fall. Sonic moved from 3D Adventure/obstacle to a rushed/running 2.5D experience.

In the Dark Era, Sonic is not given a defined role. He has contrasting illogical stories (Sonic 4) that attempt to reinvent the classics by making them something else than they are. In reality, the classics are better. The Modern era has been completely wiped out and is likely not to return because of the failed epidemic of Sonic 06. Thus, the dark ages are among us!

Shadow's death in SA2 brought us a foreshadowing of Sonic's death in the Dark Era.

Okay, well first of all, you're classifying your "eras" by quality, not time difference. That's...not the best idea. It can be confusing, but you know, whatever. Here's my eras:

Classic Era: The Genesis/Megadrive games along with GG titles, the Saturn era, Master System, etc. Early 90's basically.

Adventure Era: Adventure games and Sonic Shuffle (if you like to count that).

Modern Era: Sonic Heroes to Sonic Generations.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

The Sonic Eras Kz2PK

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 January 16th 2012, 11:57 am

Gaming Misfit wrote:
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:I think there is a disagreement or misconception between different people on what the "eras" or "reigns" of certain Sonic games are. So I thought I should post my initial reasongings for them (you can post your own too).

Okay, well first of all, you're classifying your "eras" by quality, not time difference. That's...not the best idea. It can be confusing, but you know, whatever. Here's my eras:

Classic Era: The Genesis/Megadrive games along with GG titles, the Saturn era, Master System, etc. Early 90's basically.

Adventure Era: Adventure games and Sonic Shuffle (if you like to count that).

Modern Era: Sonic Heroes to Sonic Generations.

Actually, I'm classifying them by gameplay, not by quality (they just happen to function together in my opinion). 1st ERA original 2D, 2nd ERA 3d, 3rd ERA 2D/3D.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content