The ancient lands.

+2
Techimo
Sonic Adventure 2
6 posters

When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance?

Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Kz2PK

: Male
     Rep7

When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Empty When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance?

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 December 27th 2011, 8:14 am

I've been playing Sonic Generations and I hate how the game requires you to push a button fast or else you fail. What happened to the relaxed Sonic games? I hate this fast paced stuff... why can't they measure the games on how well you complete the task, rather than by trial and error? I'm not talking about the rating, I'm talking more about just beating the levels in general. I hate having to memorize levels in order to beat them. That's not fun.
    Techimo
    Techimo

When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? VOZLn

When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Medal13When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Medalw11

Rep15

When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Empty Re: When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance?

Post by Techimo December 27th 2011, 2:53 pm

You mean Quick Time Events? Sonic Generations barely even has that. The games which does is, SA and SU. (Does are the games that come to mind to me) But, yeah, what I feel about the Quick Time Events: When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Thumbnail.aspx?q=1445333056974&id=15e587ea534fa360a1a7416456c427ca&url=http%3a%2f%2fassets.portfolio.com%2fimages%2fsite%2feditorial%2fNews%2fphoto_wells%2fyahoo%2fyahoo-emoticon-angry-large
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Empty Re: When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance?

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 December 27th 2011, 3:30 pm

Tech Man 753 wrote:You mean Quick Time Events? Sonic Generations barely even has that. The games which does is, SA and SU. (Does are the games that come to mind to me) But, yeah, what I feel about the Quick Time Events: When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Thumbnail.aspx?q=1445333056974&id=15e587ea534fa360a1a7416456c427ca&url=http%3a%2f%2fassets.portfolio.com%2fimages%2fsite%2feditorial%2fNews%2fphoto_wells%2fyahoo%2fyahoo-emoticon-angry-large
    No, not those. What I mean is when will there actually be an adventure aspect rather than one big boring rush blowing through levels? You get by traps by memorizing them and trial and error, not by strategy.
    Techimo
    Techimo

When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Medal13When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Medalw11

Rep15

Post by Techimo December 27th 2011, 3:35 pm

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:
    Tech Man 753 wrote:You mean Quick Time Events? Sonic Generations barely even has that. The games which does is, SA and SU. (Does are the games that come to mind to me) But, yeah, what I feel about the Quick Time Events: When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Thumbnail.aspx?q=1445333056974&id=15e587ea534fa360a1a7416456c427ca&url=http%3a%2f%2fassets.portfolio.com%2fimages%2fsite%2feditorial%2fNews%2fphoto_wells%2fyahoo%2fyahoo-emoticon-angry-large
    No, not those. What I mean is when will there actually be an adventure aspect rather than one big boring rush blowing through levels? You get by traps by memorizing them and trial and error, not by strategy.
    Well , if you finished the games, why don't you explore for Red Rings in Sonic Generations? You can still explore, its just a added ability for Sonic.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 December 27th 2011, 3:40 pm

Tech Man 753 wrote:
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:
    Well , if you finished the games, why don't you explore for Red Rings in Sonic Generations? You can still explore, its just a added ability for Sonic.
    But it's not as fun. The game moves so fast and switches between 2D and 3D that you literally have no time to stop. And if you miss a part of it, a lot of times you can't go back. I dislike games like that. I'm a casual gamer, not a button mashing maniac (though I prefer button mashing anyday to that of a Wiimote). Sometimes you can't even see what happens. I hate it when the game just throws you into enemies that appear from nowhere.
    Light Dash
    Light Dash

When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? GOMM8

When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Blackr10When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Medal13When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? 2nio02t

Rep3

Post by Light Dash December 27th 2011, 10:58 pm

No one is forcing you to go fast.

Personally, I enjoy the fast paced gameplay and find it to be pretty relaxed. The game is as relaxed as you want it to be, ranging from playing the levels to speedrunning.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 December 28th 2011, 8:04 am

Light Dash wrote:No one is forcing you to go fast.

Personally, I enjoy the fast paced gameplay and find it to be pretty relaxed. The game is as relaxed as you want it to be, ranging from playing the levels to speedrunning.
    It does force you to go fast when the buttons pop up and you have to hit them quickly.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? ZtZYh

When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Blackr10When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Medalw11When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Zigzag10When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? White10When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Medal13When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter December 28th 2011, 3:05 pm

I'm going to play Generations for the first time, and if I beat it without having to memorize traps, I think that means you're wrong.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 December 30th 2011, 8:15 am

The Freedom Fighter wrote:I'm going to play Generations for the first time, and if I beat it without having to memorize traps, I think that means you're wrong.
    Maybe I play differently and I'm over-judging it, but the fact that I have to memorize traps doesn't make me wrong. Maybe you don't have to, that's cool, but I did, and I don't find that engaging. But it doesn't mean I'm wrong because I for certain memorized traps to get by them, just like Sonic Unleashed. However, this was mostly the 3DS version, though I expect it is also in the PS3 version.

It's a combination of memorizing and fast button pushing that I'm not typically enjoying.
    Chaos_Overlord
    Chaos_Overlord

When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Medalw11When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Medal13

Rep11

Post by Chaos_Overlord December 30th 2011, 11:30 pm

Personally, I think the fast-paced gameplay is fun and exicting, although I do agree on the not being able to go back at certain points. Even in the 2D though, you can usually see the traps coming before you have to react, and a lot of the traps just put you in a slower route, aside from the bottomless pits.
    Phantom
    Phantom

When will Sonic games measure ability and not chance? Medal13

Rep11

Post by Phantom December 31st 2011, 3:22 am

Chance? Since when did Sonic Generations reward a player arbitrarily?

It's true there are some parts of certain stages that are encouraging for the player to run at full speed, and other times it may be required to live. What's great is that there are plenty of different paths to explore. There are quite a few traps in the way, but it's nothing that can't be overcome with some degree of control, or finesse. There have been times in which I've been taken by surprise by a slew of robots from over a ridge, but I just picked myself up, dusted off, and went on my way.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content