sykog
Schnickelfritz
Independence76
10 posters

Do we really need the Arcade anymore?

Poll

Does TSC need the Arcade anymore?

[ 8 ]
    Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Bar_le1180%Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Bar_ri11 [80%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Bar_le1120%Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Bar_ri11 [20%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Bar_le110%Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Bar_ri11 [0%] 

Total Votes: 10
    Independence76

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? GOMM8

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalg10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medal13

: Male
     Rep4

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Empty Do we really need the Arcade anymore?

Post by Independence76 July 7th 2012, 8:38 pm

Poll says it all.

How many of us actually use the Arcade much anymore?

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? VOZLn

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Blackr10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medal13Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalw11

Rep33

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Empty Re: Do we really need the Arcade anymore?

Post by 84 July 7th 2012, 9:16 pm

I actually used it quite a bit last week.
    Anonymous

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Empty Re: Do we really need the Arcade anymore?

Post by Guest July 8th 2012, 1:02 am

Same, I do use it.
    Schnickelfritz
    Schnickelfritz

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Imagee10

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? White10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalg10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medal13Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalw11

Rep34

Post by Schnickelfritz July 8th 2012, 1:05 am

I riek it.
    sykog
    sykog

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Blackr10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalw11Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalg10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Zigzag10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog July 8th 2012, 1:36 am

I don't use it myself, but others do, so it's still good to have. It's not hurting anyone.
    karkooshy
    karkooshy

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalg10

Rep9

Post by karkooshy July 8th 2012, 7:46 am

The way we access the arcade, as well as the menu (instead of having huge bars down the screen) could be improved, but the concept itself is fine...
    SpeedyBlueDude
    SpeedyBlueDude

Rep4

Post by SpeedyBlueDude July 8th 2012, 4:23 pm

Doesn't hurt anything to have it, no reason to take it off.
    Independence76

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalg10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medal13

Rep4

Post by Independence76 July 9th 2012, 1:05 am

Ok then.

Is everyone alright with the idea that the special-designed banners for each game be removed? It would help us greatly with adding games and would reduce load times.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? ZtZYh

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Blackr10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalw11Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Zigzag10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? White10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medal13Do we really need the Arcade anymore? 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter July 9th 2012, 1:28 am

I'm not.
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalw11Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medal13

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 July 9th 2012, 1:02 pm

I guess it depends on if there's a better substitute for the banners. On the other hand, they look great, and are a great way to identify the games. Are the load times that bad?
    Independence76

Rep4

Post by Independence76 July 9th 2012, 2:46 pm

I guess it depends on if there's a better substitute for the banners. On the other hand, they look great, and are a great way to identify the games. Are the load times that bad?

Well, the major improvement we're trying to work with is to make scrolling times as little as possible. The current banner fills half the page and the Arcade banners are not only spaced too much, but it can take a while to get down to the game you want.

The "list" proposition will be tested out.

Like I said, none of this is official. It's merely experimental.

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Blackr10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medal13Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalw11

Rep33

Post by 84 July 9th 2012, 3:13 pm

I really don't see much point in the banners, they're way too large and unneeded. Plus you could probably get the same effect by having icons, which would be smaller allowing for reduced load/scroll times.

Plus they wouldn't extend the page relentlessly like the banners do...
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Blackr10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalw11Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Zigzag10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? White10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medal13Do we really need the Arcade anymore? 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter July 9th 2012, 3:39 pm

Independence76 wrote:

Well, the major improvement we're trying to work with is to make scrolling times as little as possible. The current banner fills half the page and the Arcade banners are not only spaced too much, but it can take a while to get down to the game you want.

The "list" proposition will be tested out.

Like I said, none of this is official. It's merely experimental.
    Okay, now you're exaggerating. Half the page? There is no image on this site that is that big. The closest to being that big is, ironically, the symbol of scrolling itself, the title image.

This entire mission against scrolling is quite pointless. You will ALWAYS, always, always have to scroll. If scrolling another inch is really that hard, you may have arthritis. I get you want to make the site easier to maneuver and whatnot, but if the main reason is because it takes too much effort to scroll? Come on...
    Independence76

Rep4

Post by Independence76 July 9th 2012, 3:51 pm

Okay, now you're exaggerating. Half the page? There is no image on this site that is that big. The closest to being that big is, ironically, the symbol of scrolling itself, the title image.

The overall display of the top of the page is 567px out of 927px vertically of the standard Firefox window in 1920x1080 resolution. My claim is not an exaggeration.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter July 9th 2012, 4:13 pm

Independence76 wrote:

The overall display of the top of the page is 567px out of 927px vertically of the standard Firefox window in 1920x1080 resolution. My claim is not an exaggeration.
    Well, according to my measurements, the head banner is 700 by 387 pixels, the Arcade banner is 700 by 150 pixels, and each individual game banner is 700 by 125, which is actually larger than it needs to be because it incorporates an extra 700 by 50 pixels.

Now, I don't have a resolution that big, I only have 1280 by 1024. So, measuring it out with Google Chrome, I have a 1262 by 910 pixel viewing window. So I'm not sure if that's better than yours or not, but it's very fine for me. I can see everything I need to see. I don't know about the others of course, but I'd be surprised to imagine they have a harder time if scrolling is such an issue.
    Independence76

Rep4

Post by Independence76 July 9th 2012, 4:16 pm

I'm talking about the main site banner.
    Pianta
    Pianta

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalw11Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalg10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? White10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medal13

: Female
     Rep21

Post by Pianta July 9th 2012, 4:26 pm

Never used it, never will.
    Independence76

Rep4

Post by Independence76 July 9th 2012, 4:31 pm

Oh my god, she's back.
    Pianta
    Pianta

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalw11Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalg10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? White10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medal13

Rep21

Post by Pianta July 9th 2012, 4:32 pm

I've never been away. :c
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter July 9th 2012, 4:40 pm

Independence76 wrote:I'm talking about the main site banner.
    Ah, well that is 700 by 387 pixels big. Keep in mind when the site started we had an old banner that everyone worked on that's 773 by 196 pixels. But as the site aged, we got newer and bigger banners. I'm sure everyone remembers the gigantic Sonic 4 banner.

The big head banner has always been a problem since after the original, but I figure Zezima likes having that image large and eye-catching. Either way, it's not an Arcade issue, merely a head banner issue.
    Independence76

Rep4

Post by Independence76 July 9th 2012, 4:43 pm

The big head banner has always been a problem since after the original, but I figure Zezima likes having that image large and eye-catching. Either way, it's not an Arcade issue, merely a head banner issue.

Zezima said he wants something "individualistic" but the current setup is just way too large.

The Arcade won't have too many changes.
    Schnickelfritz
    Schnickelfritz

Do we really need the Arcade anymore? White10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalg10Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medal13Do we really need the Arcade anymore? Medalw11

Rep34

Post by Schnickelfritz July 9th 2012, 4:50 pm

Independence76 wrote:Oh my god, she's back.

Pianta NEVER goes away.
    Pianta
    Pianta

Rep21

Post by Pianta July 9th 2012, 4:56 pm

I'm sorry not to please everyone with my presence.

:3c
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter July 9th 2012, 5:05 pm

Xanthis says:
    *I seent the debate over the arcade and I agree with your stance the most.
    Lan says:
    *Why thank you
    Xanthis says:
    *No reason to change it, the only viable alternative being the icon initiative, and really, who's going to take the time to make icons? We already have banners.
    Lan says:
    *Pretty much
    *I mean, I'll agree with SF on that, the icons does seem kind of cool, but that takes effort
    Xanthis says:
    *Tell the good people of Tescia that if someone can draft us icons for each and every game in the arcade we'll consider it, until then there's no reason to change it.

From the leader himself.
    Schnickelfritz
    Schnickelfritz

Rep34

Post by Schnickelfritz July 9th 2012, 5:39 pm

I could probably make icons.... Maybe...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content