Sonic Fan
Shadow Dude 64
Zez
10 posters

Fan Characters

Zez
    Zez

Fan Characters VOZLn

Fan Characters Blackr10Fan Characters Medalw11Fan Characters Zigzag10Fan Characters Medal13

: Male
     Rep24

Fan Characters Empty Fan Characters

Post by Zez April 14th 2009, 4:02 am

Fancharacters. I actually have one fan character myself. So I'm not really against fan characters, but most of them are just recolors (brown Sonic, green striped Shadow, purple Knuckles, orange Amy, etc). Whenever I see uncreative fan characters like that, I actually do cringe a little. Which is why I'm self-conscious and totally paranoid about whether my own creations are original or not. What is your opinion on FC's?
    Shadow Dude 64
    Shadow Dude 64

Fan Characters VOZLn

Fan Characters Medalw11Fan Characters White10Fan Characters Medal13

Rep3

Fan Characters Empty Re: Fan Characters

Post by Shadow Dude 64 April 14th 2009, 5:02 am

I have plent of fan made characters, and fan made characters made by anyone are usual better then the original.
    Sonic Fan
    Sonic Fan

Fan Characters GOMM8

Fan Characters Medal13

: Female
     Rep0

Post by Sonic Fan April 14th 2009, 5:18 am

One of my main hates in life along with Shadow are fancharacters. I can't stand them, everywhere I look on DeviantART and FanFiction.net is fancharacters >.< It's SO annoying. I can't believe people actually like them. I read a decent fanfic on FF.net only to have it ruined by a fancharacter appearing... I don't even like the most original of fancharacters.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Fan Characters ZtZYh

Fan Characters Blackr10Fan Characters Medalw11Fan Characters Zigzag10Fan Characters White10Fan Characters Medal13Fan Characters 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter April 14th 2009, 2:52 pm

That seems illogical. After all, if the fanfic creator became a member of Sonic Team and made that character a reality, it wouldn't be a fancharacter anymore. Now, if you don't like the character because of their personality or actions or whatnot, I'd understand that.
    codeorange

Fan Characters GOMM8

Fan Characters Medalg10Fan Characters White10Fan Characters Medal13

Rep6

Post by codeorange April 14th 2009, 3:36 pm

Fan Characters...

It's just like playing baseball. Either you strike out with fan characters, you get a base hit, or you blast a home run with them. Maybe that's not the best analogy, but it's basically hit or miss.

Be innovative with your FCs. Try not to use re-colors because that's not original. Try to use an original animal that the Sonic universe hasn't seen or has rarely seen.

Don't ever make the fan characters feel like they've been forced into the story. The main reason why fan characters flop is because the stories had nothing special for them to do. What's the point of having those characters if they're not so important to begin with? Give the FCs personality, and make them likable. What are the special qualities that they have? You basically have to go into detail about them instead of just saying "here they are."
    Zez
    Zez

Fan Characters VOZLn

Fan Characters Blackr10Fan Characters Medalw11Fan Characters Zigzag10Fan Characters Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez April 15th 2009, 3:07 am

codeorange wrote:Fan Characters...

It's just like playing baseball. Either you strike out with fan characters, you get a base hit, or you blast a home run with them. Maybe that's not the best analogy, but it's basically hit or miss.

Be innovative with your FCs. Try not to use re-colors because that's not original. Try to use an original animal that the Sonic universe hasn't seen or has rarely seen.

Don't ever make the fan characters feel like they've been forced into the story. The main reason why fan characters flop is because the stories had nothing special for them to do. What's the point of having those characters if they're not so important to begin with? Give the FCs personality, and make them likable. What are the special qualities that they have? You basically have to go into detail about them instead of just saying "here they are."

Couple of things here;

One, best response.

Two, best analogy.

Three, best explanation.

Four, my FC meets most of those criteria. I just need to work on his appearance somewhat, but like I said; I'm paranoid about how original my FC is.
    Erazor
    Erazor

Fan Characters Imagee10

Fan Characters Blackr10Fan Characters Medalw11Fan Characters Medalg10Fan Characters White10Fan Characters Medal13

Rep22

Post by Erazor April 15th 2009, 6:55 pm

I'd rather people come up with original characters raher than fan characters.
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

Fan Characters VOZLn

Fan Characters Medalw11Fan Characters Zigzag10Fan Characters White10Fan Characters Medal13

Rep26

Post by Auflodern April 15th 2009, 7:13 pm

i dont make fan characters i just see what would happen if games combined (so far my animations include ace combat/sonic and team fortress 2/sonic) but fan made characters turn me off google images me trying to find a good picture of metal sonic turned into a trek through recolered characters... it was really brutal
    sykog
    sykog

Fan Characters Imagee10

Fan Characters Blackr10Fan Characters Medalw11Fan Characters Medalg10Fan Characters Zigzag10Fan Characters Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog April 15th 2009, 7:19 pm

Most fancharacters are dull overpowered recoolors with 5 super forms, but few of them are good. I like my fancharacter, Stretch.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Fan Characters VOZLn

Fan Characters Blackr10Fan Characters Medalw11Fan Characters Medalg10Fan Characters White10Fan Characters Medal13

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 16th 2009, 12:50 am

I think the ones the fans themselves make most of the time are pretty much stupid. Of course, the only ones I'd call creative most of the time turn out to be humans.
    supersonic703
    supersonic703

Fan Characters WFmvl

Rep0

Post by supersonic703 April 16th 2009, 10:21 pm

Well, if anyone who want to start making FCs, it starts with the young kids first, and with that it does tend to become recolors most of the time. At one time or another, we all had a "recolor" fan character of Sonic. How else can you start?

In time, and with a lot of R&D, they can become "fleshed" out, so to speak, to become slightly more than a recolor. I'll admit my character Murdoch before looked almost exactly like another Shadow back in 2004 (and frankly with all the changes I've made, I still think the resemblance is there...)

It'll just take time, practice, and as I said R&D to make a well-rounded FC
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Fan Characters ZtZYh

Fan Characters Blackr10Fan Characters Medalw11Fan Characters Zigzag10Fan Characters White10Fan Characters Medal13Fan Characters 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter April 16th 2009, 10:33 pm

I can only have recolors. I can't sprite new and crazy animals.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content