Tjay
Erazor
Zez
NeoMetalSonic
codeorange
sykog
Army
14 posters

How much farther do you think graphics will improve?

Army
    Army

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? VOZLn

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Blackr10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalw11How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalg10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Zigzag10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Rainbo10

: Male
     Rep2

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Empty How much farther do you think graphics will improve?

Post by Army May 19th 2009, 10:37 pm

Honestly, I don't think they can progress much farther. I mean, they said that back in the day too, but perhaps we may FINALLY hit the ceiling....

What do you think?
    sykog
    sykog

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Imagee10

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Blackr10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalw11How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalg10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Zigzag10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13

Rep29

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Empty Re: How much farther do you think graphics will improve?

Post by sykog May 19th 2009, 10:41 pm

I don't think much better either.
    codeorange

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? GOMM8

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalg10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? White10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13

Rep6

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Empty Re: How much farther do you think graphics will improve?

Post by codeorange May 20th 2009, 12:48 am

I really think the capability of graphics has hit the proverbial ceiling IMO. I mean, how can you improve even further from 128+ bit? Shoot, if people consider having the player literally warped into the game world as an improvement, then who knows? But...that would be pretty scary lietrally being in Hyrule, the Mushroom Kingdom, or on Mobius in a virtual reality thing. :Whoa!:

Anyway, I think the grapics aren't going to improve. I fail to see how there's a step above this.
    sykog
    sykog

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Blackr10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalw11How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalg10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Zigzag10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog May 20th 2009, 12:49 am

codeorange wrote:I really think the capability of graphics has hit the proverbial ceiling IMO. I mean, how can you improve even further from 128+ bit? Shoot, if people consider having the player literally warped into the game world as an improvement, then who knows? But...that would be pretty scary lietrally being in Hyrule, the Mushroom Kingdom, or on Mobius in a virtual reality thing. :Whoa!:

Anyway, I think the grapics aren't going to improve. I fail to see how there's a step above this.
    I would love being in the mushroom kingdom!!!!! : ):
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Blackr10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalw11How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Zigzag10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? White10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic May 20th 2009, 12:51 am

sykog77 wrote:
    codeorange wrote:I really think the capability of graphics has hit the proverbial ceiling IMO. I mean, how can you improve even further from 128+ bit? Shoot, if people consider having the player literally warped into the game world as an improvement, then who knows? But...that would be pretty scary lietrally being in Hyrule, the Mushroom Kingdom, or on Mobius in a virtual reality thing. :Whoa!:

Yeah then get maul by Goombas! : ):
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog May 20th 2009, 12:52 am

NeoMetalSonic wrote:
    sykog77 wrote:

Yeah then get maul by Goombas! : ):
    Naaw, other way around.
    Zez
    Zez

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Blackr10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalw11How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Zigzag10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez May 20th 2009, 4:59 am

It can go much higher. We have at least two more platforms to confront in the future. To have actual gameplay graphics appear photo realistic, and 3D environment consoles.
    Erazor
    Erazor

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Blackr10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalw11How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalg10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? White10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13

Rep22

Post by Erazor May 20th 2009, 9:46 am

I suppose photo-realism is the ceiling. ONe we won't reach for a while. Mainly because, thanks to Nintendo, all compnies will be dropping traditional gameplay for innovative (more like annoying) ways to play games.

Even when graphics hit the top I really only like games with a surreal look to them. I'm not exactly WOW'd when I see a meadow so realistic that it's just as boring as real life.
    Zez
    Zez

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Blackr10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalw11How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Zigzag10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez May 20th 2009, 9:48 am

Erazor wrote:Ithanks to Nintendo, all compnies will be dropping traditional gameplay for innovative (more like annoying) ways to play games.

Aw, Jesus, yes. That stupid Wii interactive bull-crap.. *headache...

Erazor wrote: I'm not exactly WOW'd when I see a meadow so realistic that it's just as boring as real life.

You just made an interesting point. You are on my cookie list.

Cookie ~ Take it. Please.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog May 20th 2009, 9:49 am

Erazor wrote:Even when graphics hit the top I really only like games with a surreal look to them. I'm not exactly WOW'd when I see a meadow so realistic that it's just as boring as real life.
    I agree. Sonic Unleashed graphics wooo!!!! :D
    Tjay
    Tjay

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? WFmvl

Rep0

Post by Tjay May 20th 2009, 10:58 am

We're nowhere at the peak yet. If anything, we're just barely getting started in terms of graphics. Eventually we'll have realistic-looking virtual simulation (which is already being worked on, by the way).
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Blackr10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalw11How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Zigzag10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? White10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic May 20th 2009, 10:59 am

Tjay wrote:We're nowhere at the peak yet. If anything, we're just barely getting started in terms of graphics. Eventually we'll have realistic-looking virtual simulation (which is already being worked on, by the way).
    Isn't that the ceiling?
    Erazor
    Erazor

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Blackr10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalw11How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalg10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? White10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13

Rep22

Post by Erazor May 20th 2009, 11:36 am

sykog77 wrote:
    Erazor wrote:Even when graphics hit the top I really only like games with a surreal look to them. I'm not exactly WOW'd when I see a meadow so realistic that it's just as boring as real life.
    I agree. Sonic Unleashed graphics wooo!!!! :D
    Sonic is the perfect example. Look at Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight. They may not have the best graphics ever but just compare them. Black Knight's realistic environments are drab and uninteresting while Secret Rings' insane environments are 1000 times more pleasing to the eye. Those two games show that art design is just as important as graphics.

Graphics can get more and more realistic but developers need to remember to use their imaginations.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? ZtZYh

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Blackr10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalw11How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Zigzag10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? White10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13How much farther do you think graphics will improve? 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter May 20th 2009, 12:11 pm

I like S&TBK's graphics better though...
    But yeah, think of it this way, if Nintendo wasn't slowing the graphic market down, would we be holding onto the lovable surreal style much longer either. In a way, we're too fast!
    Erazor
    Erazor

Rep22

Post by Erazor May 20th 2009, 12:33 pm

There's really nothing wrong with BK's graphics. I just feel they could have put more work into the art design.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez June 1st 2009, 11:35 am

No comments on mah post?
    Boom
    Boom

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? GOMM8

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Blackr10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13

Rep1

Post by Boom June 1st 2009, 7:54 pm

We got a while to go.
    And then we'll need 3D.
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalw11How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Zigzag10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? White10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13

Rep26

Post by Auflodern June 1st 2009, 8:40 pm

i want to be warped into the game world!!! wih the game characters with personalities and feeling and memories so you could have a conversation with them. hehehe that would be sweet.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic June 1st 2009, 8:44 pm

AND THE ABILITY TO HAVE THE 5 SENSES!
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? 56qtD

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalw11How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13

Rep16

Post by Super Racer Z June 1st 2009, 8:44 pm

the only thing limiting graphics is time, the consoles, and the point at which the human eye can't tell the difference between it and reality(or be able to think the the surreal environment is actually real. They still have the consoles, which need one more update(with the way Nintendo is now, they'll take 2-3 more consoles to get there), and our eyes. We're getting close, but we aren't quite there.
    Sunset
    Sunset

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Kz2PK

: Female
     Rep2

Post by Sunset June 10th 2009, 8:53 pm

I don't know and honestly I don't care. Graphics have never meant that much to me.
    Gamma The Great
    Gamma The Great

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalw11How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medalg10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Zigzag10How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13

Rep2

Post by Gamma The Great January 5th 2010, 4:11 pm

Beyond our imagination.
    Phantom
    Phantom

How much farther do you think graphics will improve? Medal13

Rep11

Post by Phantom January 17th 2010, 8:49 pm

Game graphics are constantly improving, but even they have limitations. To render 3D assets in real-time is taxing on the processor of a game console, so it might be a while before we play games that are as visually intriguing as, say, "Avatar." Also, a console alone can not generate graphics; it is only as good as what capable and competent developers can do with it. It's rarely ever easy to create in-game art (I studied environment/asset modeling and texturing in college). There are still things that would take forever before they can be rendered in real-time, such as fur, hair, subtle skin and cloth deformations, etc..

I think there might be at least one more revolution in graphics, and from there on out it's all about content. It's certainly nice to have high-resolution images creating one's game, but that is only the tip of the iceberg.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest January 17th 2010, 10:04 pm

Well, computer power has around twenty years (In other words, doubling ten times over, or in still other words multiplying by 1024) left before the parts are made of a few atoms put together and we can't improve much, if any more with the current system. Presumably, it will be impossible to differentiate between a real person and a computer-generated person in terms of physical appearance before these twenty years are up. While it is possible for graphics to improve beyond the limits of our own sight capabilities, this would be entirely pointless with our normal vision. Then again, we'll probably have all sorts of robotic enhancements in just twenty short years.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content