+2
Yioibon
Zez
6 posters

Dreams don't have meaning. Or...

Zez
    Zez

Dreams don't have meaning. Or... VOZLn

Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Blackr10Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Medalw11Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Zigzag10Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Medal13

: Male
     Rep24

Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Empty Dreams don't have meaning. Or...

Post by Zez June 17th 2009, 2:54 am

...At least not the way we think of it. Dreams may not be the secret window into the frustrated desires of the unconscious that Sigmund Freud first posited in 1899, but growing evidence suggests that dreams - and, more so, sleep - are powerfully connected to the processing of human emotions.

According to new research presented last week at the annual meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies in Seattle, adequate sleep may underpin our ability to understand complex emotions properly in waking life. "Sleep essentially is resetting the magnetic north of your emotional compass," says Matthew Walker, director of the Sleep and Neuroimaging Lab at the University of California, Berkeley. (See the top 10 scientific discoveries of 2008.)

A recent study by Walker and his colleagues examined how rest - specifically, rapid eye movement (REM) sleep - influences our ability to read emotions in other people's faces. In the small analysis of 36 adults, volunteers were asked to interpret the facial expressions of people in photographs, following either a 60- or 90-minute nap during the day or with no nap. Participants who had reached REM sleep (when dreaming most frequently occurs) during their nap were better able to identify expressions of positive emotions like happiness in other people, compared with participants who did not achieve REM sleep or did not nap at all. Those volunteers were more sensitive to negative expressions, including anger and fear.
    Yioibon
    Yioibon

Rep3

Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Empty Re: Dreams don't have meaning. Or...

Post by Yioibon June 17th 2009, 3:07 am

Dreams to me are just urges portrayed in thought. Your deepest darkest desires come out,and it is like you are watching yourself on TV.
    XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Imagee10

Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Medalw11Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Medalg10Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Zigzag10Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Medal13

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed June 17th 2009, 4:14 am

Pretty much what he said ^

Why else do I dream about being together with my nonexistent sister?
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Dreams don't have meaning. Or... ZtZYh

Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Blackr10Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Medalw11Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Zigzag10Dreams don't have meaning. Or... White10Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Medal13Dreams don't have meaning. Or... 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter June 17th 2009, 10:23 am

Except my dreams aren't dark desires. They're usually just desires or ideas of new or something I had briefly thought about that day.
    sykog
    sykog

Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Imagee10

Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Blackr10Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Medalw11Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Medalg10Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Zigzag10Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog June 17th 2009, 3:37 pm

I hardly ever even have dreams. But my best dream was when I was little a whole episode of Scooby Doo played in my head.
    Independence76

Dreams don't have meaning. Or... GOMM8

Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Medalg10Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Medal13

Rep4

Post by Independence76 June 17th 2009, 3:50 pm

This is something I've been just recently thinking about. I had a dream a few years ago when a girl looked at me with a type of look in her eyes, to the point where I can't explain it. I almost went crazy over it, trying to find out what it meant.

About two months ago, a girl I really like (not too similar to the girl in my dream) looked at me the exact same way. I recognized it immediately. It basically went from dreams to reality, and I still haven't figured it out.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest June 17th 2009, 5:12 pm

Dreams are a product of reality and the dreamer that should neither affect their creators nor be heavily worried about by anyone at all.
    Independence76

Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Medalg10Dreams don't have meaning. Or... Medal13

Rep4

Post by Independence76 June 17th 2009, 7:32 pm

But when it's an emotion you've never classified, but you've felt it, it can get on your nerves easily. As I said, it was not just in my dream. The exact same thing happened recently.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest June 17th 2009, 7:46 pm

In the ideal human brain, dreams and fantasies are separated from reality by a clearly defined, bold line. If not, then your brain is sub-ideal, as are all brains in one way or another.
    Independence76

Rep4

Post by Independence76 June 17th 2009, 8:25 pm

Mly wrote:In the ideal human brain, dreams and fantasies are separated from reality by a clearly defined, bold line. If not, then your brain is sub-ideal, as are all brains in one way or another.

Of course dreams are separated from reality, I'm not crazy.

However, this is my own question, especially if it has happened in reality after a mysterious dream.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest June 17th 2009, 9:36 pm

When did I ever say I was posting something relating to your question?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest June 17th 2009, 9:38 pm

Dreams do have meanings. Zezima SUCKS at making topics.
    Independence76

Rep4

Post by Independence76 June 17th 2009, 10:55 pm

Mly wrote:When did I ever say I was posting something relating to your question?

My bad...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content