The ancient lands.

3 posters

What makes a person good or evil?

Army
    Army

What makes a person good or evil? VOZLn

What makes a person good or evil? Blackr10What makes a person good or evil? Medalw11What makes a person good or evil? Medalg10What makes a person good or evil? Zigzag10What makes a person good or evil? Medal13What makes a person good or evil? Rainbo10

: Male
     Rep2

What makes a person good or evil? Empty What makes a person good or evil?

Post by Army July 22nd 2009, 2:11 am

I really am interested on everyones opinions of it.
    For me, To answer this question we must ask: what is good, and what is evil? What is this concept? To be honest the answer to these questions revolves round three key factors in our lives. These factors are the rules of our society, religion and the fundamentals of human nature. All three have an impact on the way that we think, and react, to the concepts of good and evil, also changing the forms of the two worlds.

Now, why is it right to do good rather than evil? Because by doing the right thing we are, for one, not doing wrong. And by doing wrong, or “evil” as the question dictates, you are not doing the good thing. So in either case you cannot be doing the other through the actions that fit into the “slot” which the concept belongs.

So to the standard of the rules that the person follows either one of these things (right or wrong) will simply fit into the ways that the person follows. It also depends whether the man, or woman, is completely orthodox. Then the society, culture or religion that they belong to and, yet again, this depends upon the ideology to which they belong; Therefore answering the question why it is right to do good rather than evil, to a certain extent.

The concepts, of good and evil, are the fundamental which “the building blocks of human nature” are. These concepts can’t be reduced; like 1+1=2 you cannot reduce it any more, as these are the fundamental building blocks maths. Good and evil are the foundations of human society and nature.

Good and positive actions have a positive outcome while bad actions will have a negative impact. Therefore, how things begin, whether positive or negative, will have a massive upon on how the society, and the people who live within it, will act accordingly.
    Anonymous

What makes a person good or evil? Empty Re: What makes a person good or evil?

Post by Guest July 22nd 2009, 4:57 am

Good and evil are mere words. What matters is what one does. Furthermore, the concept of what is good and what is evil is based upon human morals, which vary from individual to individual. Even though the majority of people believe that the holocaust was evil, Hitler saw it as a grandly good thing to do for the world. So far as I know, there is no universal good or universal evil, nor are there words to describe these likely nonexistent things. Good and evil are only words to define one's own morals through declaration of whether something is objectionable (evil) or non-objectionable (good). People will not do what they consider evil at the time of action. It's hard-coded into the human brain, and is the principle of human logic on which the golden rule is founded. Regret is caused by a shift in what a person considers good and evil. Actions such as theft, murder, and rape are caused by a thinking that only one's own self factors into the deciding of good and evil, a way of thinking commonly referred to as selfishness. This is not at all an inherently evil way of thinking, as evil differs from person to person. The general idea of good is something that helps society, such as solving worldly problems like world hunger and disease. Evil is generally a characteristic given to something that causes damage to society. Selfishness is not inherently evil, though it tends to harm society, and is often construed as evil. The inverse applies to all things that are generally labeled as good.

I'm quite done rambling now.
    Independence76

What makes a person good or evil? GOMM8

What makes a person good or evil? Medalg10What makes a person good or evil? Medal13

Rep4

Post by Independence76 July 23rd 2009, 12:11 am

It depends what side they pick after an existential crisis.
    codeorange

What makes a person good or evil? GOMM8

What makes a person good or evil? Medalg10What makes a person good or evil? White10What makes a person good or evil? Medal13

Rep6

Post by codeorange July 26th 2009, 3:39 am

Good and evil are two different alignments in the overall scope of morality.

It's a spiritual thing for me whenever I think about the words "good" and "evil" because they truly have distinct meanings for me. Being good or being evil are two different ways of life, two different points of view, opposing sides of the coin, etc.

If you believe that you want to be good then you will stand up for what's right, or at least you will always intend to do the right thing. You want to have morals and you choose to be practical, sensible, and most of all, helpful.

If you believe that you want to be evil then you will always intend to do what's wrong. Evil means corruption. Being evil means that you have no morals. Being evil is doing something that you know that's intentionally wrong, but you don't care, you just do it anyway. You don't factor in how others are going to feel with the evil actions that you take.

It all lies in the heart and spirit IMO. If you have it in your heart and spirit to to join either alignment (I'm a supporter of good) then you'll most likely become that kind of person. *shrugs*

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content