Chaos_Overlord
FelixMargarita
Yioibon
Zez
Army
20 posters

Army
    Army

Avatar (the movie) Blackr10Avatar (the movie) Medalw11Avatar (the movie) Medalg10Avatar (the movie) Zigzag10Avatar (the movie) Medal13Avatar (the movie) Rainbo10

: Male
     Rep2

Avatar (the movie) Empty Avatar (the movie)

Post by Army December 19th 2009, 2:13 am

So who actually saw the film?

I saw it hours ago. Was absolutely blown away. The story is pretty horrible in my honest oppinon, but it works for the type of genre the movie is. Of course, the tech behind the movie is incredible. When I first starting seeing the avatar's in action, it was really something just to see how much emotion and expression is shown through their faces, and how natural the movement is.

The film's artwork and sense of color is incredible as well. You might be shocked by what's going on and all the interesting things to look at on screen at once. Nighttime on Pandora looks just amazing.

Ok, so the story isn't that unique and it doesn't completely grab you, but the superb acting, great cast (Sigourney Weaver ftw), and absolute immersive world made me wishing I could just live among the Navi'.

A great film, not the best I've seen this year. It won't be loved by all the critics and you guys, but this is just my type of film, I loved it.

So short, I pretty much found everything in this movie, absolutely incredible with the exception of the story, which, isn't so horrible that it ruins the movie.
    Zez
    Zez

Avatar (the movie) Blackr10Avatar (the movie) Medalw11Avatar (the movie) Zigzag10Avatar (the movie) Medal13

Rep24

Avatar (the movie) Empty Re: Avatar (the movie)

Post by Zez December 19th 2009, 2:16 am

If only they would have named it something different, to avoid confusion with The Last Airbender.
    Yioibon
    Yioibon

Rep3

Post by Yioibon December 19th 2009, 5:01 am

Zezima wrote:If only they would have named it something different, to avoid confusion with The Last Airbender.
    This.
    FelixMargarita
    FelixMargarita

Rep0

Post by FelixMargarita December 19th 2009, 8:21 am

A friend of mine went and saw it and he said it was amazing, but then again, he's super pretentious so - who knows? Considering the guy behind it did all the good Aliens and Terminator movies you should expect a lot of action and a passable plot. This isn't going to be 'A Tale of Two Cities' with mechs or anything.
    Chaos_Overlord
    Chaos_Overlord

Avatar (the movie) Medalw11Avatar (the movie) Medal13

Rep11

Post by Chaos_Overlord December 19th 2009, 10:04 am

Im going to see it today
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Avatar (the movie) Blackr10Avatar (the movie) Medalw11Avatar (the movie) Zigzag10Avatar (the movie) White10Avatar (the movie) Medal13Avatar (the movie) 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter December 19th 2009, 1:34 pm

I lost some faith in it after Cameron said people would lust over that one navi thing, but it could still be good.
    Erazor
    Erazor

Avatar (the movie) Blackr10Avatar (the movie) Medalw11Avatar (the movie) Medalg10Avatar (the movie) White10Avatar (the movie) Medal13

Rep22

Post by Erazor December 19th 2009, 2:49 pm

I'm not going to see it. The trailer looked pretty average until the Star Wars-esque blue people filled the screen. Then it just looked rediculous.

I also hear people are calling this "Best Film of 09" already. Did we all suddenly warp into a dimension where District 9 didn't happen?
    Jmh
    Jmh

Avatar (the movie) Medalw11Avatar (the movie) White10Avatar (the movie) Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh December 19th 2009, 6:21 pm

Zezima wrote:If only they would have named it something different, to avoid confusion with The Last Airbender.
    I agree.

The movie looks kinda weird IMO.
    Chaosmaster8753
    Chaosmaster8753

Rep0

Post by Chaosmaster8753 December 19th 2009, 6:41 pm

Avatar's a good movie. Try seeing it first (see it in 3D) before saying it sucks.
    Phantom
    Phantom

Rep11

Post by Phantom December 19th 2009, 7:25 pm

"Avatar" was a meticulously crafted feast for the senses. The lush world of Pandora and all the various flora and fauna, all of it was simply captivating. The story did seem rather familiar, but that's because it's an idea that's been around since ancient mythology, and I even caught a few parts that follow Joesph Campbell's "Hero's Journey" pattern verbatim (and that's always a good thing). The Na'vi are very expressive; almost made me forget whether or not they were CG.

This is among the best sci-fi films I've ever seen, and in 3D it provides a great escape from reality.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Avatar (the movie) Blackr10Avatar (the movie) Medalw11Avatar (the movie) Zigzag10Avatar (the movie) White10Avatar (the movie) Medal13Avatar (the movie) Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic December 20th 2009, 11:35 am

Question:Are the people with big a robots,ships ,and guns are "bad guys" in this movie while the blue aliens toon the planet are "good guys"
    Chaos_Overlord
    Chaos_Overlord

Rep11

Post by Chaos_Overlord December 20th 2009, 6:34 pm

yes thats right. It is an amazing movie
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Avatar (the movie) Blackr10Avatar (the movie) Medalw11Avatar (the movie) Zigzag10Avatar (the movie) White10Avatar (the movie) Medal13Avatar (the movie) Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic December 20th 2009, 6:35 pm

Chaos_Overlord wrote:yes thats right. It is an amazing movie
    s
    sykog
    sykog

Avatar (the movie) Blackr10Avatar (the movie) Medalw11Avatar (the movie) Medalg10Avatar (the movie) Zigzag10Avatar (the movie) Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog December 21st 2009, 10:54 pm

I haven't seen yet, I won't in theaters, but it' looks interesting.
    FelixMargarita
    FelixMargarita

Rep0

Post by FelixMargarita December 23rd 2009, 10:22 am

Saw it last night, it was pretty amazing. And the story wasn't horrible and didn't ruin the movie. It is just a story that has been told countless times throughout literature and even our own human history. As someone said earlier in the thread, it's the atypical hero's journey. It is also at the same time, the struggle of 'Good vs. Evil'.

But it was an absolute feast for the senses, I'd recommend this movie to everyone. Even if you don't care for the story, go see it for the SFX. It's the best I've seen since Jurassic Park in the theaters.
    Chaos_Overlord
    Chaos_Overlord

Rep11

Post by Chaos_Overlord December 23rd 2009, 10:16 pm

I noticed that, about the story being told in history. I had a vibe that I was watching Americans trying to force the natives out of their homes to expand.
    FelixMargarita
    FelixMargarita

Rep0

Post by FelixMargarita December 25th 2009, 3:55 pm

Chaos_Overlord wrote:I noticed that, about the story being told in history. I had a vibe that I was watching Americans trying to force the natives out of their homes to expand.

Exactly. The setting may be alien, though the plot does have familiar elements that we can relate to (besides the whole putting your consciousness into an alien body and living amongst aliens).
    Independence76

Avatar (the movie) Medalg10Avatar (the movie) Medal13

Rep4

Post by Independence76 December 29th 2009, 3:06 am

Saw it today. I will sum up my review in a short version and a long version.

Short version: No.

Long version: Before I begin, I'm gonna make this pretty clear: We've all accidentally run into very bizarre things on the internet before, but this movie contains bizarre things that go far beyond anything you will find on the net. That involves
    Spoiler:
    Truthfully, I would rather have a huge middle finger just pop up onto screen than the actual scene they included. I'm not going to go into my religious viewpoint to an extreme here, but this was something blatantly obvious. Tons of mythology/new age stuff pretty much built up any subplot the film had, and wouldn't allow any argument from the characters. As in, everyone accepted the religion as true and the film called it that. In the end, it said one thing to me: FOREST...GOOD! HUMANS.....BAD!" It seems any "good characters" in the film turned out to be fully psychotic somehow. The main character got attached to a lifestyle, the woman became obsessed with the native's beliefs, the nerd was following his friends orders like he was a pushover, and the main character even has the desire to
    Spoiler:

I can go into more detail, but I'll give my conclusion now:

- James Cameron belongs in an insane asylum.
    - This was a 3-hour slow motion film in which we see a case of $350,000,000 being thrown into the trash.
    - This is the best CGI version of Pocahontas I've ever seen.
    fantanoice
    fantanoice

: Female
     Rep0

Post by fantanoice December 29th 2009, 6:32 am

Well, I saw this in 3D on Christmas Day and I found it absolutely fantastic. In my opinion, they really took you into their world and was the movie of the year for me.

As for 'the scene' with the boy and the girl alien, well, my sister and I simply laughed. It probably wasn't needed but I had a good giggle about it.

Having said that, the 'bad guys' were nothing more than hired guns, a few of them ex-marines. Hired guns are always in it for the money, so it's not a generalised 'human' thing (after all, there were a fair few 'good' humans.)

Though I, like some people got a bit of a political vibe from it. I've noticed a lot of Americans finding it an insult to their military, though as an Australian I found a connection between it and the White Settlement of Australia. That essentially involved a massacre on the Aborigines and was fairly relevant to the movie, simply because the European settlers wanted Australia for its resources and didn't care about those that were already here. It was a bit of a disgusting part of our history, but it was true and made me dislike the bad guys even more.

Didn't stop me from enjoying it though.

Last edited by fantanoice on January 5th 2011, 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
    XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Avatar (the movie) Medalw11Avatar (the movie) Medalg10Avatar (the movie) Zigzag10Avatar (the movie) Medal13

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed December 29th 2009, 6:48 am

I'll just say I groaned at the story most of the time, but I tend to be able to ignore it, sit back, and watch the beautiful CGI.

And if it counts for anything, I think the Colonel Miles Quaritch (the enemy) is the most BADASS person in the whole movie, and I almost rooted for him.
    Hidethegames
    Hidethegames

Rep0

Post by Hidethegames December 29th 2009, 3:39 pm

Didn't see it. Don't really want to, either. I saw the Princess and the Frog instead. Now that's a good movie right there.

Independence76 wrote:

Wow, you're the fourth person I've seen said that.
    FelixMargarita
    FelixMargarita

Rep0

Post by FelixMargarita December 30th 2009, 12:00 am

Independence76 wrote:Saw it today. I will sum up my review in a short version and a long version.

Short version: No.

Long version: Before I begin, I'm gonna make this pretty clear: We've all accidentally run into very bizarre things on the internet before, but this movie contains bizarre things that go far beyond anything you will find on the net. That involves
    Spoiler:
    Truthfully, I would rather have a huge middle finger just pop up onto screen than the actual scene they included. I'm not going to go into my religious viewpoint to an extreme here, but this was something blatantly obvious. Tons of mythology/new age stuff pretty much built up any subplot the film had, and wouldn't allow any argument from the characters. As in, everyone accepted the religion as true and the film called it that. In the end, it said one thing to me: FOREST...GOOD! HUMANS.....BAD!" It seems any "good characters" in the film turned out to be fully psychotic somehow. The main character got attached to a lifestyle, the woman became obsessed with the native's beliefs, the nerd was following his friends orders like he was a pushover, and the main character even has the desire to
    Spoiler:

I can go into more detail, but I'll give my conclusion now:

- James Cameron belongs in an insane asylum.
    - This was a 3-hour slow motion film in which we see a case of $350,000,000 being thrown into the trash.

You missed the point of the movie.
    Independence76

Avatar (the movie) Medalg10Avatar (the movie) Medal13

Rep4

Post by Independence76 December 30th 2009, 4:56 am

FelixMargarita wrote:

No I didn't:

"WE MUST SAVE THE FOREST!"
    FelixMargarita
    FelixMargarita

Rep0

Post by FelixMargarita December 31st 2009, 3:03 pm

Independence76 wrote:
    FelixMargarita wrote:

No I didn't:

No, not really.

And I won't argue with you any further about this.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic December 31st 2009, 3:33 pm

FelixMargarita wrote:
    Independence76 wrote:
    FelixMargarita wrote:

No I didn't:

No, not really.

And I won't argue with you any further about this.
    Isn't that the whole point of the movie?

Humans are bad and evil while the peace loving aliens are good and naturish?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content