codeorange
The Freedom Fighter
XNinjaRed
Roterblitz
Chaos_Overlord
Zez
SonicFanPS2
13 posters

Do you think they're making too many shooter games?

SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? VOZLn

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalw11Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medal13

: Male
     Rep12

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Empty Do you think they're making too many shooter games?

Post by SonicFanPS2 February 1st 2010, 7:45 am

Think about it: MAG, Uncharted(Though third- person), Uncharted 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: World at War, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Resistance, Resistance 2, Army of Two, Army of Two: The 40th Day, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Bioshock, Bioshock 2, House of the Dead: Overkill, Link's Crossbow Training, Killzone 2, Unreal Tournament 3, Wolfenstein, Grand Theft Auto, TF2, and...(Phew....need air) more. Do you think they may be overdoing it on the shooter genre?

Last edited by SonicFanPS2 on February 1st 2010, 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Zez
    Zez

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Blackr10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalw11Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Zigzag10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medal13

Rep24

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Empty Re: Do you think they're making too many shooter games?

Post by Zez February 1st 2010, 8:43 am

I think there's an overflow of FPS's, yes.
    Chaos_Overlord
    Chaos_Overlord

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalw11Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medal13

Rep11

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Empty Re: Do you think they're making too many shooter games?

Post by Chaos_Overlord February 1st 2010, 10:56 am

Definitely
    Roterblitz
    Roterblitz

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Blackr10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalw11Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalg10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? White10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medal13

Rep6

Post by Roterblitz February 1st 2010, 11:07 am

Of course, they have been for a while now.

They don't need to put in the effort to make games that are new or unique, and they sell better than any other game genre; it's the same reason everything else repetitive sells, they have a massive fanbase of people who refuse to buy anything outside of their comfort zone.
    XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Imagee10

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalw11Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalg10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Zigzag10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medal13

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed February 1st 2010, 12:14 pm

Yes. They are definitely making too many shooters.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? ZtZYh

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Blackr10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalw11Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Zigzag10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? White10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medal13Do you think they're making too many shooter games? 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter February 1st 2010, 4:21 pm

Well, I suppose it's true. Although it could be that shooters just get more attention, and as such games of the other genres are thus more unheard of.
    Either way, it would be nice if shooters were more unique; rather than sticking with world wars and Earth and whatnot, branch out, be fun, create interesting environments and enemies and whatnot.
    codeorange

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? GOMM8

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalg10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? White10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medal13

Rep6

Post by codeorange February 1st 2010, 4:27 pm

Absolutely, they are making way too many shooting games. The FPS genre is at overloaded levels at this point in time. It's pretty much the same beef that I have with the overflow of horror movies that come out at least every other month. There's no originality with these things, it's repetitive, and it's dull. There's no desire to make anything new and original because there's a huge fanbase of people who will buy these games no matter what, and you know what that means? The shooting games sell, and they sell quite a bit. In truth, I am getting more and more concerned with the thought process of the game making community and their love for shooting games, because just simple platforming games may be phased out in some ways and they'll be belittled to just shells of their former selves.

It amazes me that certain shooters keep getting the praise like they're Game of the Year candidates while it looks obvious to me that there's much left to be desired to reach the full potential and quality of those types of games.
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 February 1st 2010, 5:24 pm

codeorange wrote:Absolutely, they are making way too many shooting games. The FPS genre is at overloaded levels at this point in time. It's pretty much the same beef that I have with the overflow of horror movies that come out at least every other month. There's no originality with these things, it's repetitive, and it's dull. There's no desire to make anything new and original because there's a huge fanbase of people who will buy these games no matter what, and you know what that means? The shooting games sell, and they sell quite a bit. In truth, I am getting more and more concerned with the thought process of the game making community and their love for shooting games, because just simple platforming games may be phased out in some ways and they'll be belittled to just shells of their former selves.

It amazes me that certain shooters keep getting the praise like they're Game of the Year candidates while it looks obvious to me that there's much left to be desired to reach the full potential and quality of those types of games.

There ARE some special shooter games like TF2, which I think truly deserves to be a shooter/melee game, but the rest are sorta spammed out like crazy. There's, what? 10 games every month?

- I agree with how shooters keep getting praise. Almost all IGN awards for 2009 went to Uncharted 2. Seriously.

-Darn. I should've done the over 9,000 joke. :D
    sykog
    sykog

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Blackr10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalw11Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalg10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Zigzag10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog February 1st 2010, 9:59 pm

Well, that is what is popular right now.
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 February 1st 2010, 11:16 pm

sykog77 wrote:Well, that is what is popular right now.

Don't you think it's TOO popular?

I mean, I'm fine with them, but sorta not when theres so many.
    sykog
    sykog

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Blackr10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalw11Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalg10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Zigzag10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog February 1st 2010, 11:24 pm

SonicFanPS2 wrote:
    sykog77 wrote:Well, that is what is popular right now.

Don't you think it's TOO popular?

I mean, I'm fine with them, but sorta not when theres so many.
    Yes, I don't even like them.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalw11Do you think they're making too many shooter games? White10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh February 2nd 2010, 1:07 am

Eh, I play them when they're good.

Also, never played TF2. What makes it so special? I mean, I know Halo isn't special either. But I don't get it when people say some things that are good have to be "Special". FPS games aren't special. That's all there is to it.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Blackr10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalw11Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Zigzag10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? White10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medal13Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic February 2nd 2010, 7:37 am

Hives wrote:Eh, I play them when they're good.

Also, never played TF2. What makes it so special? I mean, I know Halo isn't special either. But I don't get it when people say some things that are good have to be "Special". FPS games aren't special. That's all there is to it.
    And what xactly makes other genre so "special"
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 February 2nd 2010, 4:46 pm

TalkingObject wrote:

Eh. I guess the special ting would be the fact that you really have variety in types of gameplay. You can be a demoman, a sniper, a spy, a scout, a heavy, an engineer, a pyro, a medic, and a soldier. They really add variety to it. They have achievements, but not the kinds that you just get and don't get anything in return. You actually get stuff for doing achievements. Upgraded weapons I could say. It tries to be more balanced in the areas of gameplay. Normally, you can be engineer and make sentries to destroy all. However, you can only make one sentry, and it makes an enemy of the spy. The spy can sap it. Another example would be the whole scout thing. While you have some of the lightest weapons available to you, they make up for it y giving you a good speed boost. Medics aren't that good in terms of melee, but are more made for healing. Soldiers are probably the most balanced. They have a good amount of hp, yet have a good defense and offense, while having limited shots and can rocket jump, but takes away your hp. The demoman is better for planned attacks and long range stuff. But what balances to whole long range thing is melee. The developers went out of their way to balance out the game. You can hear their developer notes when you get the game.

- Now, this may be a bit biased, but you can believe it or not.

All genres are all the same. Its more a matter of the companies selling what people want to buy. AKA Shooters.
    Erazor
    Erazor

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Blackr10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalw11Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalg10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? White10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medal13

Rep22

Post by Erazor February 2nd 2010, 5:04 pm

No. They're not making shooting games. They're making bad action movies that you play.
    Army
    Army

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Blackr10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalw11Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalg10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Zigzag10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medal13Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Rainbo10

Rep2

Post by Army February 3rd 2010, 12:51 am

Same can be said for any type of games.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medalw11Do you think they're making too many shooter games? White10Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh February 3rd 2010, 2:09 am

SonicFanPS2 wrote:
    TalkingObject wrote:

Eh. I guess the special ting would be the fact that you really have variety in types of gameplay. You can be a demoman, a sniper, a spy, a scout, a heavy, an engineer, a pyro, a medic, and a soldier. They really add variety to it. They have achievements, but not the kinds that you just get and don't get anything in return. You actually get stuff for doing achievements. Upgraded weapons I could say. It tries to be more balanced in the areas of gameplay. Normally, you can be engineer and make sentries to destroy all. However, you can only make one sentry, and it makes an enemy of the spy. The spy can sap it. Another example would be the whole scout thing. While you have some of the lightest weapons available to you, they make up for it y giving you a good speed boost. Medics aren't that good in terms of melee, but are more made for healing. Soldiers are probably the most balanced. They have a good amount of hp, yet have a good defense and offense, while having limited shots and can rocket jump, but takes away your hp. The demoman is better for planned attacks and long range stuff. But what balances to whole long range thing is melee. The developers went out of their way to balance out the game. You can hear their developer notes when you get the game.

All genres are all the same. Its more a matter of the companies selling what people want to buy. AKA Shooters.
    Ya know, after reading this I want to just buy The Orange Box. After all, it does also come with all of Half Life 2, right?
    Erazor
    Erazor

Rep22

Post by Erazor February 3rd 2010, 6:10 pm

Pinata wrote:Same can be said for any type of games.
    Elaborate.
    Mobius 1
    Mobius 1

Do you think they're making too many shooter games? Kz2PK

Rep0

Post by Mobius 1 February 3rd 2010, 6:44 pm

Hives wrote:
    SonicFanPS2 wrote:
    TalkingObject wrote:

Ya know, after reading this I want to just buy The Orange Box. After all, it does also come with all of Half Life 2, right?

It comes with half life 2, half life 2 episode 1 and 2, Portal, TF2 and if you buy the PC version you also get half life 2 lost coast
    Jmh
    Jmh

Rep67

Post by Jmh February 3rd 2010, 9:37 pm

Then I think it's worth it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content