The Freedom Fighter
Independence76
Zez
9 posters

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network?

Zez
    Zez

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? VOZLn

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Blackr10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalw11Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Zigzag10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medal13

: Male
     Rep24

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Empty Sony to charge for PlayStation Network?

Post by Zez February 5th 2010, 1:26 am

In an interview with IGN, Sony's VP of marketing, Peter Dille, responded to a question about the PlayStation Network by saying that the company is considering charging for the service. He said; "It's been our philosophy not to charge for it from launch up until now, but Kaz recently went on the record as saying that's something we're looking at. I can confirm that as well. That's something that we're actively thinking about. What's the best way to approach that if we were to do that? You know, no announcements at this point in time, but it's something we're thinking about."

This follows news of a customer survey recently that listed possibilities for subscription-based PSN features.
    Independence76

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? GOMM8

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalg10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medal13

Rep4

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Empty Re: Sony to charge for PlayStation Network?

Post by Independence76 February 5th 2010, 1:30 am

Premium service.

Normal services like playing online will still be free.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? ZtZYh

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Blackr10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalw11Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Zigzag10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? White10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medal13Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? 2nio02t

Rep76

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Empty Re: Sony to charge for PlayStation Network?

Post by The Freedom Fighter February 5th 2010, 1:33 am

Well, that doesn't help sway me towards a PS3 at all...
    Erazor
    Erazor

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Imagee10

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Blackr10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalw11Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalg10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? White10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medal13

Rep22

Post by Erazor February 5th 2010, 2:36 pm

If I can still play online without paying, I don't care. If I can't, I still don't care because I only play two games online anyway.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalw11Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? White10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh February 6th 2010, 4:21 pm

If that happens then it would be the worst online ever.........

Ya know, I don't think I want a PS3 anymore.
    Independence76

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalg10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medal13

Rep4

Post by Independence76 February 6th 2010, 6:24 pm

HELLO?

You can still do everything you can now online for free, but a premium service with even more will be OPTIONAL.
    Erazor
    Erazor

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Blackr10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalw11Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalg10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? White10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medal13

Rep22

Post by Erazor February 6th 2010, 11:39 pm

Hives wrote:If that happens then it would be the worst online ever.........

You're right. I guess we should all buy 360s with Wireless Adaptors, and Controller Rechargers and hope for the best because paying for online on the superior system automatically makes it bad.
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? 56qtD

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalw11Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medal13

Rep16

Post by Super Racer Z February 6th 2010, 11:49 pm

Erazor wrote:

You're right. I guess we should all buy 360s with Wireless Adaptors, and Controller Rechargers and hope for the best because paying for online on the superior system automatically makes it bad.

I laughed. Although I think they both have cons and pros, making neither superior to the other. Well, besides the red ringing. That is just plain bad. Also, forget Wireless adapters, wiring it up and using your own rechargeable batteries with your own recharger is where it's at. Although if you must charge it while you play, just get a play and charge kit and use it, then when it starts to die within 20 minutes, cut it open and take the batteries out and use them as if normal rechargeable batteries.
    Erazor
    Erazor

Rep22

Post by Erazor February 6th 2010, 11:50 pm

Super Racer Z wrote:
    Erazor wrote:

I laughed. Although I think they both have cons and pros, making neither superior to the other. Well, besides the red ringing. That is just plain bad. Also, forget Wireless adapters, wiring it up and using your own rechargeable batteries with your own recharger is where it's at. Although if you must charge it while you play, just get a play and charge kit and use it, then when it starts to die within 20 minutes, cut it open and take the batteries out and use them as if normal rechargeable batteries.
    You didn't exactly prove me wrong.
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalw11Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medal13

Rep16

Post by Super Racer Z February 6th 2010, 11:59 pm

Erazor wrote:
    Super Racer Z wrote:
    Erazor wrote:

You didn't exactly prove me wrong.

I didn't try, I just said what I think. Hence why I said "I think" 3 words into my post.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? ZtZYh

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Blackr10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalw11Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Zigzag10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? White10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medal13Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter February 7th 2010, 12:16 am

You need batteries for the controllers? What kind of messed up thing is that? At least with the Wiimote it's so you can wave them around and look stupid in front of friends.
    But yeah, if this is just for extra features, would they really be worth it then? What would they be?
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

Rep16

Post by Super Racer Z February 7th 2010, 12:24 am

The Freedom Fighter wrote:You need batteries for the controllers? What kind of messed up thing is that? At least with the Wiimote it's so you can wave them around and look stupid in front of friends.
    But yeah, if this is just for extra features, would they really be worth it then? What would they be?

You don't need batteries, you can always get a wired controller, or use the play and charge kit to essentially make the controller wired.
    Independence76

Rep4

Post by Independence76 February 7th 2010, 2:23 am

The Freedom Fighter wrote:You need batteries for the controllers? What kind of messed up thing is that? At least with the Wiimote it's so you can wave them around and look stupid in front of friends.

Xbox 360, yes. However, you can spend extra money to get rechargeable packs and a rechargeable base.

PlayStation 3, no. PS3 has them built-in, and rechargeable via USB. No addition addons required.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalw11Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? White10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh February 7th 2010, 11:42 am

Erazor wrote:

Pretty much, yeah..... Nah, I guess you have a point. I would just be a little disappointed if they did that. That's all.

I would probably still buy a PS3. But I would have to sell my 360 to do so. Or just cancel my live subscription, because I don't want to have two online subscriptions.
    TheShadowWalker
    TheShadowWalker

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalw11Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalg10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medal13Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? 2hygec

Rep3

Post by TheShadowWalker February 12th 2010, 8:01 pm

Either Sony charges their users or Microsoft STFU on charging theirs.
    Mobius 1
    Mobius 1

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Kz2PK

Rep0

Post by Mobius 1 February 12th 2010, 8:48 pm

They would NEVER charge for online gameplay since the game that is now selling the system:
    MAG

which is entirely online, sell little copies thus making less people buy the system thus make them lose the battle with their newest rival Microsoft.
    TheShadowWalker
    TheShadowWalker

Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalw11Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medalg10Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? Medal13Sony to charge for PlayStation Network? 2hygec

Rep3

Post by TheShadowWalker February 12th 2010, 9:31 pm

Right...
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 February 21st 2010, 8:34 pm

Mobius 1 wrote:They would NEVER charge for online gameplay since the game that is now selling the system:
    MAG

which is entirely online, sell little copies thus making less people buy the system thus make them lose the battle with their newest rival Microsoft.

What just happened there? I'm a bit confused.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content