karkooshy

Tutorial: Splatter Sonic Walpaper Imagee10

Tutorial: Splatter Sonic Walpaper Medalg10

: Male
     Rep9

Tutorial: Splatter Sonic Walpaper Empty Tutorial: Splatter Sonic Walpaper

Post by karkooshy October 27th 2010, 5:22 pm

Howdy folks! :)
    I promised a tutorial on this months back (someone requested it)… sorry for the delay, "someone" :faic: .
    Here is a tutorial for creating the sonic splatter wallpaper I showed you guys earlier.

What you'll need for this tutorial:
    1. GIMP - Which is available legally for free. It is a high-end GNU product that allows you to edit/create graphics. (Here)
    2. A good render- we will be creating a wallpaper, so the render has to be substantially large. (Here)
    3. A set of splatter brushes. ( Here OR Directly Download Them)

Now once you've got everything ready, you can begin :)

Step 1

Create a new project (File-> New). Set the width to 1800 pixels, and the height to 1600 pixels (standard wallpaper size).
    Set your foreground color to 0055ac (a bright blue). And you background color to 01335d (a dark blue).
    Pull a linear gradient from top to bottom. This is your basic background.
    Create a new layer and call it 'Render'. Then copy/paste your render into the layer. Make sure the render is centered.
    Right click on the render's layer in the layers menu and select "layer to image size".

Tutorial: Splatter Sonic Walpaper Step110

Step 2

Duplicate the layer with the render (right click on the layer in the layers menu-> Duplicate layer). Name the duplicated layer 'Screen'. Make sure the duplicated layer (on top of the original) is selected.
    Now, grab your smudge tool and select a splatter brush. Resize the brush to an appropriate size. A size comparison:

Tutorial: Splatter Sonic Walpaper Step210

Notice, the brush is quite large in comparison to the render.
    As I was saying, grab your smudge tool and gently smudge the edges of your 'Screen' layer.

Make it look something like this:

Tutorial: Splatter Sonic Walpaper Step310

Step 3

Resize/ select a smaller splatter brush (about half the size) and in the very same 'Screen' layer, smudge out the parts you don't like. For instance, I don't like how I've got several eyes on the top left, so I'll smudge those out.
    Make sure your smudging follows a small radial pattern flowing outwards. Don't smudge too quickly/roughly, you want to keep some of the effects from the previous step.

Tutorial: Splatter Sonic Walpaper Step410

Step 4

Set the 'Screen' layer, now very smudge, to a different mode. Notice, at the top of your layers menu you have an option to change the 'Mode'.
    Set the smudged layer to Screen.
    woosh! Yes.. it's starting to look good ^^
    Set the opacity of the 'Screen' layer to about 70. (The higher the opacity of the 'Screen' layer, the brighter the image).

Tutorial: Splatter Sonic Walpaper Step510

Step 5

Now that you got the basics down.
    Duplicate your 'Render' layer twice more. Name one of the layers 'Burn' and name the other 'Overlay'. Make sure your layers are in correct order… from top to bottom you've got 'Screen'-> 'Burn'-> 'Overlay'-> 'Render'-> 'Background'
    The rest of this is easy, basically you're going to repeat Steps 2 to 4 on the layers 'Burn' and 'Overlay'.
    Smudge with a large splatter brush, then smudge out the unwanted parts with a smaller splatter brush.
    In each layer, try to smudge towards areas you haven't covered with your other layers, i.e. fill your project with smudging! But don't over do it. Have the smudging lessen as you move towards the edge of the canvas and away from the render.
    Instead of setting each layer mode to 'Screen', set the layer 'Burn's mode to Burn and the layer 'Overlay's mode to Overlay.
    Opposing Screen, Burn controls the dark spots in your project. The higher the opacity of Burn, the darker the image will be. Personally, I set the opacity to 35… I don't like my stuff too dark.
    The layer 'Overlay' gives you a nice texture, so I'll keep the opacity of 'Overlay' to a full 100.

After you're done, you should now have three smudged out layers each on a different mode.
    Your project has neared completion… it should look something like this:

Tutorial: Splatter Sonic Walpaper Step610

Step 6

We're gonna now give your render a nice glow effect. Go all the way back to your 'Render' layer. Duplicate it again, and name the duplicated layer 'Glow'.
    Now, make sure 'Glow' is selected. In your main window, go to:
    Filters-> Blur-> Motion Blur.
    A pop up should appear. For the Blur Type, select 'Zoom'.
    Our Blur Center will be the center of the image:
    X= 900
    Y= 800
    Make sure 'Blur Outward' is ticked.
    For the Blur Parameters, set the length to 50 (the longer the length, the longer the rays of light will be coming out of your render).
    Hit OK!

Give GIMP sometime to blur your image- it's a large image so it may not blur as instantly as your other commands.
    After the blurring is complete. You'll notice a faint glow on top of your render.

Tutorial: Splatter Sonic Walpaper Step710

Step 7

Move the layer 'Glow' under your 'Render' layer. Set the layer glow's mode to 'Screen' (to add to the brightness). Set the opacity of 'Glow' to 80 to decrease the intensity of the light.

Step 8

Let's finnish this!
    Create a new layer. Make sure it's above ALL the other layers. Call this one 'Spotlight'. We're going to give our project a 'Spotlight' effect by adding light to the center and dimming the brightness towards the edges.
    To do this, select your Gradient tool.
    Set your foreground to white (ffffff) and your background to black (000000).
    Make sure the shape of your gradient is set to Radial.
    Now on your 'Spotlight' layer, pull a gradient from the center to one of your projects' corners.

Tutorial: Splatter Sonic Walpaper Step810

Set the layer mode to Overlay, and the Opacity to 80 (to decrease the intensity of this spotlight effect).

Tutorial: Splatter Sonic Walpaper Step910

VOILÀ you are done!

Here's a full size sample:
    https://i.servimg.com/u/f29/15/79/63/03/final11.jpg