The ancient lands.

3 posters

Zoe Quinn Scandal

NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Zoe Quinn Scandal Imagee10

Zoe Quinn Scandal Blackr10Zoe Quinn Scandal Medalw11Zoe Quinn Scandal Zigzag10Zoe Quinn Scandal White10Zoe Quinn Scandal Medal13Zoe Quinn Scandal Medalg10

: Male
     Rep35

Zoe Quinn Scandal Empty Zoe Quinn Scandal

Post by NeoMetalSonic August 20th 2014, 1:31 am

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/08/kotaku-and-zoe-quinn-accused-of-exchanging-positive-press-for-sex/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Equc1QnQ9rw

Here’s a doozey of a story for you. If you’re not a huge fan of Kotaku or the infamous social justice warrior / indie developer Zoe Quinn, you’re in for a treat. There’s even a bit about bearded loudmouth Phil Fish. How did such a huge scandal unfold? Well let’s start at the beginning. Zoe Quinn is an indie game developer responsible for the recently published Depression Quest (which I said some nice things about here). It turns out that Zoe has become somewhat infamous online, often accused of playing the victim to gain publicity. Speculation turned to accusation yesterday, when Zoe’s ex-boyfriend make a post on his own blog, accusing her (with proof) of cheating with a number of prominent industry figures. Among them was current Kotaku writer Nathan Grayson, apparently solicitating sexual favours for positive press.

Pretty simple, right? The developer in question loses credibility, along with the gaming publication that allowed such a massive breach of professionalism occur. Except the rabbit hole has been going further than that. Not only has she been swapping blow for positive press, but also leveraging her sexual connections to stamp out anybody critical of her, most notably the organisers of ‘Women’s Game Jam’, who accuse the indie developer of encouraging a press blackout on the charity Jam to promote her own similar event.

Many industry figures and commentators have also had quite a lot to say on the issue, with both sides standing as far away from the fence as possible. Polarising figures like Anita Sarkeesian and Phil Fish have rushed to the aid of the controversy struck developer, the former offering support and the latter going on one of his famous explicit crusades, insulting anybody who calls themselves a gamer and picking fights with far more respected developers such as Marcus ‘Notch’ Persson. On the other side of the fence is YouTube commentator TotalBiscuit, also known as the Cynical Brit, who attacks both Zoe and gaming journalism in general for lack of professionalism and work ethic in a very lengthy twitter post. Also weighing as the loudest voice in the debate is YouTube user ‘InternetAristocrat’, who gives his thoughts in a half hour monologue attacking the corruption of the gaming press and the problems with blind Social Justice Warriors in his latest video, embedded below for your pleasure.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Is this a breach of standards that is in the interest of gamers, or should this issue be kept personal between Zoe Quinn and those directly involved in the scandal? Voice your comments below, but please, please keep it civil and free from personal attacks.
    Fredo_Corleone
    Fredo_Corleone

Zoe Quinn Scandal WFmvl

Rep0

Zoe Quinn Scandal Empty Re: Zoe Quinn Scandal

Post by Fredo_Corleone August 20th 2014, 11:54 am

1. Using sex as a means to promote your game is pretty shady - irregardless of sex. It is worth noting that this wouldn't happen if Zoe were a boy and the video game journalists were girls. Maybe it would happen if both were male. The reason is because patriarchical society is structured in such away that women are commodified as sex objects.

2. I don't think that patriarchical society was preventing her game from getting recognition.

3. Having sex isn't wrong.

4. Having sex with multiple people isn't wrong.

5. Having sex with multiple people while being in a relationship is sometimes wrong but not necessarily. People are in open relationships all the time.

6. The amount of slut shaming that is going on is shameful. We do not treat men this way.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Zoe Quinn Scandal Blackr10Zoe Quinn Scandal Medalw11Zoe Quinn Scandal Zigzag10Zoe Quinn Scandal White10Zoe Quinn Scandal Medal13Zoe Quinn Scandal Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic August 20th 2014, 8:15 pm

Fredo_Corleone wrote:
    5. Having sex with multiple people while being in a relationship is sometimes wrong but not necessarily. People are in open relationships all the time.
    But it wasn't a open relationship. The problem here isn't that she fuck these guys. The problem is she fucked 5 men in exchange for positive press for her game. And now when people are trying to call her our for it they are getting censored to make Zoe an innocent victim out of all this so she can receive pity donations.
    Fredo_Corleone
    Fredo_Corleone

Zoe Quinn Scandal WFmvl

Rep0

Post by Fredo_Corleone August 20th 2014, 8:45 pm

NeoMetalSonic wrote:
    Fredo_Corleone wrote:
    But it wasn't a open relationship. The problem here isn't that she fuck these guys. The problem is she fucked 5 men in exchange for positive press for her game. And now when people are trying to call her our for it they are getting censored to make Zoe an innocent victim out of all this so she can receive pity donations.

No I get that it wasn't an open relationship. But it isn't really the internet's business.

My issue is that I don't see her as being a newsworthy individual, or what she did as being as newsworthy as it has become. Censorship or no, the bad word is out there. It's not being censored altogether. People know of Zoe Quinn right now for being a skank, not for being pitied.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic August 20th 2014, 8:54 pm

Fredo_Corleone wrote:
    NeoMetalSonic wrote:

No I get that it wasn't an open relationship. But it isn't really the internet's business.

My issue is that I don't see her as being a newsworthy individual, or what she did as being as newsworthy as it has become. Censorship or no, the bad word is out there. It's not being censored altogether. People know of Zoe Quinn right now for being a skank, not for being pitied.
    Irregardless of what you think if she is newsworthy or not she has gain the ire of internet with her lies, manipulation, & abuse of all the people she met. If they didn't want all this attention she & her colleagues wouldn't had try to suppress this hard of people' information.
    Fredo_Corleone
    Fredo_Corleone

Zoe Quinn Scandal WFmvl

Rep0

Post by Fredo_Corleone August 20th 2014, 10:13 pm

I'm just not swayed by either side of the story. I think what she did was wrong, but I think it is something between her, her ex-boyfriend, and the people she cheated on him with.

I do not think a part-time writer for Kotaku is the vanguard of journalism. Yes, there are standards, but a lot of the things I've seen said about this ordeal seem to catastrophize this.

If she is someone who manipulates, lies, and abuses those around her to get ahead, then she should be criticized and fall on that merit. I'm just seeing an awful lot of slut-shaming of her around the internet.

And I do not buy into the censorship thing. I'm not saying she isn't trying and isn't getting stuff taken down, but the internet is slathered with all of this information. It's getting out there... as it does on the internet! Why are we not laughing at her failed efforts like we would anyone else instead of getting all up and arms over that fact?

I know very little about Zoe Quinn other than the fact she fucked her way to the top and looks A LOT LIKE R.L STEIN. I don't like her or agree with her, but people are going about this in the wrong way.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Zoe Quinn Scandal Medalw11Zoe Quinn Scandal White10Zoe Quinn Scandal Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh August 20th 2014, 10:46 pm

Sounds like some pretty corrupt stuff. I personally have no sympathy for people like this.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic August 23rd 2014, 4:05 am

New Update:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content