XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Weapons Imagee10

Weapons Medalw11Weapons Medalg10Weapons Zigzag10Weapons Medal13

: Male
     Rep4

Weapons Empty Weapons

Post by XNinjaRed June 17th 2009, 4:29 am

Seriously, I see people complaining about how he uses weapons and that he doesn't "need" it because he's got Chaos Spear and bla bla bla.

But really, is it really so bad to have Shadow use weapons? I mean the game Shadow the Hedgehog didn't really focus on it, they were just there to make you able to play the game differently, you could still just play the game without them. But letting him use guns shouldn't be THAT big a deal, right?

Look at Prototype, Devil May Cry heck even Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 apparenly.
    Weapons add variety, and had they actually made the weapons more then just "shoot weapons" I think it would be a nice gameplay element.

Think about it.

Let's say there are enemies here and there in the background, you have a submachine gun. You could fight all the enemies in the room to get to wherever you need to be OR you could kill the enemies in the background to get the same effect. Technically that would be two different paths already. Either you grab a submachine gun and shoot the enemies in the background or you kill the enemies in the room without the submachine gun.

Or howabout you fire a bazooka which will lauch the enemy in the air and then you Homing Attack the airborne enemy to get higher and get a shortcut.

All Sega needs to do is be more creative about the idea, not abandon them.
    Zez
    Zez

Weapons VOZLn

Weapons Blackr10Weapons Medalw11Weapons Zigzag10Weapons Medal13

Rep24

Weapons Empty Re: Weapons

Post by Zez June 17th 2009, 4:34 am

I'm for creativity. And if it were any other character, I wouldn't mind.

But it's Shadow.

To have him be so self arrogant going on about how he is THE ULTIMATE LIFE FORM, MOTHER STOKING CHAOS, MAN!!!11!11

Then have the gall to resort to weapons.

He made a hypocrite out of himself.

Mr. I'mstrongerthanallexistencebecauseI'manuberbadassanddonttakenocrapfromnoonecuzimtehbestman!, then goes around and uses weapons.

That's my issue with it.
    XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Weapons Imagee10

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed June 17th 2009, 4:43 am

I see it as him acknowledging he IS a weapon.

It's funny how people actually ignore Shadow's character development.

They say the things he does are out of character while in fact it's him accepting things rather then being hypocritical.

If he started saying how he's nothing THAT is hypocritical. Him using weapons is acceptance.

The only time where he was super arrogant was in Sonic Adventure 2 if anything. By the end he learned how there are more people around him and that led to him saving the earth.

Sonic Heroes made him question himself whether he's fake or not. By the end he didn't care anymore, he says whether he's a clone or not he IS Shadow.

Shadow the Hedgehog was where he used weapons, here they actually made Shadow actually try to distance himself from being "Shadow" and chose to be himself (a clone). The big twist is that he IS the real Shadow. If you think about it, it's what probably makes him use weapons. In one way it's because he accepts he IS a weapon and is meant to destroy others, while on the other hand it could because he doesn't WANT to be a weapon and uses guns to make it feel like he's a user of weapons instead of a weapon himself.

By Sonic Battle he hated weapons, but that's because he hates himself. This isn't hypocritical mind you, he hates himself BECAUSE he's a weapon of mass destruction. By the time Emerl showed how Emerl and Shadow are not weapons but beings it's where Shadow fully accepts that he is both. He's a weapon, and a being.

By the time of Sonic 06 he accepted the whole thing. He works for GUN not as a weapon, but as an agent. I say that's a very good way of showing how you've developed.

Too bad these things fly over everybody's head.
    Zez
    Zez

Weapons VOZLn

Weapons Blackr10Weapons Medalw11Weapons Zigzag10Weapons Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez June 17th 2009, 4:50 am

I am now okay with Shadow using weapons.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Weapons ZtZYh

Weapons Blackr10Weapons Medalw11Weapons Zigzag10Weapons White10Weapons Medal13Weapons 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter June 17th 2009, 9:58 am

I was okay with that except that Battle should be before Shadow.
    But yeah, just because he's the ultimate lifeform doesn't mean he can't use weapons. In a way, it would demean him not to show he can't.
    Roterblitz
    Roterblitz

Weapons VOZLn

Weapons Blackr10Weapons Medalw11Weapons Medalg10Weapons White10Weapons Medal13

Rep6

Post by Roterblitz June 17th 2009, 2:11 pm

XNinjaRed wrote:I mean the game Shadow the Hedgehog didn't really focus on it, they were just there to make you able to play the game differently, you could still just play the game without them. But letting him use guns shouldn't be THAT big a deal, right?
    The guns were THE focus of the game, halfway through the story, you get locked in rooms that require you to beat enemies that would take more than 9 hits, each, using his strongest physical attacks. And that's assuming you're only doing Neutral speed-runs, some of the missions are literally impossible without guns.

They made Shadow's regular abilities pathetically weak in order to force encourage the player to use guns as part of their attempt to appeal to "darker and edgier" preteens who think saying "bad words" makes them "mature".
    XNinjaRed wrote:Look at Prototype, Devil May Cry heck even Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 apparenly.
    Weapons add variety, and had they actually made the weapons more then just "shoot weapons" I think it would be a nice gameplay element.
    Those are humanoids in M-Rated games, Shadow is a cartoon anthropomorphic animal in an E-Rated game, they're not even the same genre.
    sykog
    sykog

Weapons Imagee10

Weapons Blackr10Weapons Medalw11Weapons Medalg10Weapons Zigzag10Weapons Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog June 17th 2009, 3:14 pm

Zezima wrote:I'm for creativity. And if it were any other character, I wouldn't mind.

But it's Shadow.

To have him be so self arrogant going on about how he is THE ULTIMATE LIFE FORM, MOTHER STOKING CHAOS, MAN!!!11!11

Mr. I'mstrongerthanallexistencebecauseI'manuberbadassanddonttakenocrapfromnoonecuzimtehbestman!, then goes around and uses weapons.

That's my issue with it.
    I think so too, except doesn't really talk like that. The other thing is, Sonic is supposed to be a kids gae, and having one of the main characters with a gun doesn't really fit.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Weapons VOZLn

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 June 17th 2009, 7:52 pm

sykog77 wrote:
    Zezima wrote:I'm for creativity. And if it were any other character, I wouldn't mind.

But it's Shadow.

That's my issue with it.
    I think so too, except doesn't really talk like that. The other thing is, Sonic is supposed to be a kids gae, and having one of the main characters with a gun doesn't really fit.

It's weird though. Suddenly everything changes in perspective ones a main character is weilding the guns and using them outright. And not in the way that Tails used them in SA2 or Battle. Those don't count because they looked cartoony or were hidden by a bulky machine right?
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Weapons ZtZYh

Weapons Blackr10Weapons Medalw11Weapons Zigzag10Weapons White10Weapons Medal13Weapons 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter June 17th 2009, 9:43 pm

Omochao used a gun too, but no one ever brings that up.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Weapons VOZLn

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 June 17th 2009, 9:57 pm

The Freedom Fighter wrote:Omochao used a gun too, but no one ever brings that up.

Omochao WAS the gun in Shadow's game.
    sykog
    sykog

Weapons Imagee10

Weapons Blackr10Weapons Medalw11Weapons Medalg10Weapons Zigzag10Weapons Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog June 18th 2009, 12:00 pm

Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:
    sykog77 wrote:

But it's Shadow.

That's my issue with it.

It's weird though. Suddenly everything changes in perspective ones a main character is weilding the guns and using them outright. And not in the way that Tails used them in SA2 or Battle. Those don't count because they looked cartoony or were hidden by a bulky machine right?
    Yeah, pretty much.
    Gamma The Great
    Gamma The Great

Weapons VOZLn

Rep2

Post by Gamma The Great January 1st 2010, 5:33 pm

Let him use what he wants. It won't redeem him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content