Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Genome VOZLn

Genome Blackr10Genome Medalw11Genome Medalg10Genome White10Genome Medal13

: Male
     Rep17

Genome Empty Genome

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 June 20th 2009, 3:40 am

There is a hedgehog genome named Sonic hedgehog. Anybody know anything about it? Does Sonic himself have it? A scientist I am not!
    Zez
    Zez

Genome VOZLn

Genome Blackr10Genome Medalw11Genome Zigzag10Genome Medal13

Rep24

Genome Empty Re: Genome

Post by Zez June 20th 2009, 3:42 am

This is old news, man. A genome was named Sonic The Hedgehog genome in a fly because it provided the ability for flies to react extremely quickly. The person who named it was a naive fan or something.. I forgot most of it, because it's been so long.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Genome VOZLn

Genome Blackr10Genome Medalw11Genome Medalg10Genome White10Genome Medal13

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 June 20th 2009, 3:43 am

Zezima wrote:This is old news, man. A genome was named Sonic The Hedgehog genome in a fly because it provided the ability for flies to react extremely quickly. The person who named it was a naive fan or something.. I forgot most of it, because it's been so long.

I know it's old news. I'm not reporting news. I'm asking about what it is. What the hell is a genome?
    Zez
    Zez

Genome VOZLn

Genome Blackr10Genome Medalw11Genome Zigzag10Genome Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez June 20th 2009, 3:48 am

In Genetics, the Genome of a Diploid organism including Eukarya refers to a full set of Chromosomes or Genes in a Gamete; thereby, a regular Somatic cell contains two full sets of Genomes. In haploid organisms, including bacteria, archaea, viruses, and mitochondria, a cell contains only a single set of the genome, usually in a single circular or contiguous linear DNA. In modern molecular biology the genome of an organism is its hereditary information encoded in DNA (or, for retroviruses, RNA).

The genome includes both the genes and the non-coding sequences of the DNA. The term was adapted in 1920 by Hans Winkler. The Dictionary suggests the name to be a portmanteau of the words gene and chromosome; however, many related -ome words already existed, such as biome and rhizome, forming a vocabulary into which genome fits systematically.

More precisely, the genome of an organism is a complete genetic sequence on one set of chromosomes; for example, one of the two sets that a diploid individual carries in every somatic cell. The term genome can be applied specifically to mean that stored on a complete set of nuclear DNA (i.e., the "nuclear genome") but can also be applied to that stored within organelles that contain their own DNA, as with the mitochondrial genome or the chloroplast genome.
    sykog
    sykog

Genome Imagee10

Genome Blackr10Genome Medalw11Genome Medalg10Genome Zigzag10Genome Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog June 20th 2009, 2:33 pm

I heard about it a while ago. I'm pretty sure we have a topic on it here too. I still think it's funny though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content