Shadowsgirl
    Shadowsgirl

Underappriciated Gerald Kz2PK

Underappriciated Gerald Blackr10Underappriciated Gerald White10

: Female
     Rep-6

Underappriciated Gerald Empty Underappriciated Gerald

Post by Shadowsgirl October 29th 2009, 3:48 pm

He is probably the one character who often gets overlooked in the series, and I'll admit, I've been guilty of it. I mean, you see people saying "What about *obscure character*?" here and there, but I've never seen Gerald talked about anywhere. And when people talk about the ARK 50 years ago they only ever seem to focus on Maria, or Shadow, or Black Doom. Never Gerald. Even Maria gets more attention than Gerald! I've seen a fair few fan fics floating around the net with a theme along the lines of "MARIA RETURNS" or "MARIA REBORN" but never anything about Gerald.
    Maybe some people think "who cares? He was just some geeky human scientist." But if he'd never exsisted, much of the world of Sonic would be different. The most obvious, as Shadow's creator, there'd be no Shadow. But no Gerald would also mean no decendants. So no Maria, or more importantly, no EGGMAN for Sonic to fight with. No fights would mean no plots to base the game around.
    I only recently became aware of this because a friend of mine is the only person I know who RPs as Gerald Robotnik reborn as a hedgehog, and I was asked to write a fan fic about certain events in some of his other characters' pasts, and I kind of ended up centering it from Gerald's perspective.
    So, let's discuss the infamous and unrespected Gerald here in this topic.
    Mobius 1
    Mobius 1

Rep0

Underappriciated Gerald Empty Re: Underappriciated Gerald

Post by Mobius 1 October 29th 2009, 4:02 pm

"ALL OF YOU UNGRATEFUL HUMANS WHO NEVER PAY ATTENTION TO ME WILL FEEL MY LONLYNESS AND DESPAIR!"

*a toxic gas fills the earth which makes it fatal to make contact with any other thing*
    Shadowsgirl
    Shadowsgirl

Rep-6

Post by Shadowsgirl October 29th 2009, 6:27 pm

*facedesk* I kind of meant a serious discussion, not random nonsence.... There was more to his character than that.
    Mobius 1
    Mobius 1

Rep0

Post by Mobius 1 October 29th 2009, 6:35 pm

all we saw of him was a video and all of his backstory we know is that he was a scientist on a space station somehow Eggman never saw even from the death egg(star) and that he made a pact with the devil I mean an alien who looks like the devil
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Underappriciated Gerald Imagee10

Underappriciated Gerald Blackr10Underappriciated Gerald Medalw11Underappriciated Gerald Zigzag10Underappriciated Gerald White10Underappriciated Gerald Medal13Underappriciated Gerald Medalg10

: Male
     Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic October 29th 2009, 7:34 pm

Mobius 1 wrote:all we saw of him was a video and all of his backstory we know is that he was a scientist on a space station somehow Eggman never saw even from the death egg(star) and that he made a pact with the devil I mean an alien who looks like the devil
    Not to mention everybody die in the Ark because of him
    Shadowsgirl
    Shadowsgirl

Rep-6

Post by Shadowsgirl October 29th 2009, 7:49 pm

We can infer stuff from that, and we know more than that. Such has his ORIGINAL intent for his research was a cure for a terminal illness that Maria had. And the people funding his research, namely G.U.N., forced him to also create weapons. We know he's Eggman's grandfather, and credited with being the smartest scientist of his time.

Plus, he basically BUILT a complex living organism from scratch. That is impressive inandof itself. I know they're starting to use supercomputers to analyze human DNA in real life, for things like screening to see if a person has certaing genes that may make them predispoesed for a certain type of cancer, or if treatment X would work better than treatment Z. The amount of data in a SINGLE drop of blood takes up around 100 GIGAbytes. Gerald CREATED all that from scratch. Pretty impressive for an "old man"
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Underappriciated Gerald Blackr10Underappriciated Gerald Medalw11Underappriciated Gerald Zigzag10Underappriciated Gerald White10Underappriciated Gerald Medal13Underappriciated Gerald Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic October 29th 2009, 8:16 pm

Shadowsgirl wrote:We can infer stuff from that, and we know more than that. Such has his ORIGINAL intent for his research was a cure for a terminal illness that Maria had. And the people funding his research, namely G.U.N., forced him to also create weapons. We know he's Eggman's grandfather, and credited with being the smartest scientist of his time.

Plus, he basically BUILT a complex living organism from scratch. That is impressive inandof itself. I know they're starting to use supercomputers to analyze human DNA in real life, for things like screening to see if a person has certaing genes that may make them predispoesed for a certain type of cancer, or if treatment X would work better than treatment Z. The amount of data in a SINGLE drop of blood takes up around 100 GIGAbytes. Gerald CREATED all that from scratch. Pretty impressive for an "old man"
    1.If he was forced to make weapons then why did they kill him
    2.Was G.U.N was even alive back then?

Also none of this make any sense
    Mobius 1
    Mobius 1

Rep0

Post by Mobius 1 October 29th 2009, 8:28 pm

TalkingObject wrote:
    Shadowsgirl wrote:We can infer stuff from that, and we know more than that. Such has his ORIGINAL intent for his research was a cure for a terminal illness that Maria had. And the people funding his research, namely G.U.N., forced him to also create weapons. We know he's Eggman's grandfather, and credited with being the smartest scientist of his time.

1.He thought he was making the eclipse cannon against them
    2.then who invaded the ark? Noah's Heroes?
    Chaos_Overlord
    Chaos_Overlord

Underappriciated Gerald VOZLn

Underappriciated Gerald Medalw11Underappriciated Gerald Medal13

Rep11

Post by Chaos_Overlord October 29th 2009, 8:33 pm

He's a good character. He created Shadow for one thing, and somehow inplanted the soul of Maria into him (I know this from Sonic Battle).
    sykog
    sykog

Underappriciated Gerald Blackr10Underappriciated Gerald Medalw11Underappriciated Gerald Medalg10Underappriciated Gerald Zigzag10Underappriciated Gerald Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog October 29th 2009, 10:15 pm

I don't really think he's very important, although he is kinda interesting.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Underappriciated Gerald ZtZYh

Underappriciated Gerald Blackr10Underappriciated Gerald Medalw11Underappriciated Gerald Zigzag10Underappriciated Gerald White10Underappriciated Gerald Medal13Underappriciated Gerald 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter October 30th 2009, 12:11 am

Gerald's quite interesting. I do like him quite a bit, especially since he deserved more credit than what he got.
    But Gerald's risks have caused problems for G.U.N., such as giving up Emerl to buy time for Project Shadow, which only led to Emerl destroying a portion of ARK and the near anniliation of the planet itself.
    I also like that it is quite possible Gerald inspired Ivo's pursuit of science, and possibly even his bid for world domination.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic October 30th 2009, 7:20 am

Mobius 1 wrote:
    TalkingObject wrote:

1.He thought he was making the eclipse cannon against them
    2.then who invaded the ark? Noah's Heroes?
    1.Didn't he say that was for Black Arms?Thus just warn the people on earth
    2.The Military WHO ELSE?
    Shadowsgirl
    Shadowsgirl

Rep-6

Post by Shadowsgirl October 30th 2009, 2:24 pm

TalkingObject wrote:1.Didn't he say that was for Black Arms?Thus just warn the people on earth
    2.The Military WHO ELSE?
    First, Gerald worked on the ARK, a space colony built by HUMANS. His research was most likely funded by HUMANS, not the Black Arms. He ended up working with them because he was stuck between a rock and a hard place and couldn't find any other alternitive. From what I can understand of various games, Gerald's main intention was to find a cure for Maria's illness, and he took the approach of researching immortality. G.U.N. supported his research in the beginning, on the condition that he apply it to building them a living weapon, the "Ultimate Lifeform". My best guess would be that he started working with the Black Arms in secret when his research hit a dead end, and once G.U.N. found out about the aliens, that's what triggered the raid on the ARK.

Second, G.U.N. IS a military organization in the Sonic games. And just like with any real life country that has a military, the specific PEOPLE who are currently serving in the military may change over time, but the military itself continues to exist. Case in point, my granddad served in World War two for America. He died about 20 years or so ago, but just because he's dead doesn't mean the US military is gone too.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Underappriciated Gerald ZtZYh

Underappriciated Gerald Blackr10Underappriciated Gerald Medalw11Underappriciated Gerald Zigzag10Underappriciated Gerald White10Underappriciated Gerald Medal13Underappriciated Gerald 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter October 30th 2009, 5:53 pm

Yes, G.U.N. was around 50 years ago, and they seem to have closed ARK off due to their own dislike of Project Shadow and probably the accident Emerl caused as Gerald described.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic October 30th 2009, 7:50 pm

Shadowsgirl wrote:
    TalkingObject wrote:1.Didn't he say that was for Black Arms?Thus just warn the people on earth
    2.The Military WHO ELSE?
    First, Gerald worked on the ARK, a space colony built by HUMANS. His research was most likely funded by HUMANS, not the Black Arms. He ended up working with them because he was stuck between a rock and a hard place and couldn't find any other alternitive. From what I can understand of various games, Gerald's main intention was to find a cure for Maria's illness, and he took the approach of researching immortality. G.U.N. supported his research in the beginning, on the condition that he apply it to building them a living weapon, the "Ultimate Lifeform". My best guess would be that he started working with the Black Arms in secret when his research hit a dead end, and once G.U.N. found out about the aliens, that's what triggered the raid on the ARK.

Second, G.U.N. IS a military organization in the Sonic games. And just like with any real life country that has a military, the specific PEOPLE who are currently serving in the military may change over time, but the military itself continues to exist. Case in point, my granddad served in World War two for America. He died about 20 years or so ago, but just because he's dead doesn't mean the US military is gone too.
    Where did I type that the Black Arms made his cannon?
    What I simply said was that the cannon was made to destroy the Blacks

When I meant military I meant ANY military like the U.S

& you proved my point that everything on the ARK was his fault....basterd
    Shadowsgirl
    Shadowsgirl

Rep-6

Post by Shadowsgirl October 30th 2009, 8:44 pm

TalkingObject wrote:When I meant military I meant ANY military like the U.S

In the games it specifically implies that the military that raided and shut down the ARK was G.U.N., and while things may have ended up caused by Gerald's actions, his motives were good in the beginning. He started out trying to help people but it seems despite his efforts everything blew up in his face. He's probably got the worst luck out of any character in Sonic history. At least he's got the worst luck of any character I can think of right now.
    Chaos_Overlord
    Chaos_Overlord

Underappriciated Gerald Medalw11Underappriciated Gerald Medal13

Rep11

Post by Chaos_Overlord October 31st 2009, 12:04 am

Shadowsgirl wrote:
    TalkingObject wrote:When I meant military I meant ANY military like the U.S

In the games it specifically implies that the military that raided and shut down the ARK was G.U.N., and while things may have ended up caused by Gerald's actions, his motives were good in the beginning. He started out trying to help people but it seems despite his efforts everything blew up in his face. He's probably got the worst luck out of any character in Sonic history. At least he's got the worst luck of any character I can think of right now.
    Although, the Eclipse Cannon was specifically designed to destroy the Black Comet in Shadow the Hedgehog. As you said, its really bad luck that does him in.
    Gamma The Great
    Gamma The Great

Underappriciated Gerald Medalw11Underappriciated Gerald Medalg10Underappriciated Gerald Zigzag10Underappriciated Gerald Medal13

Rep2

Post by Gamma The Great January 1st 2010, 5:25 pm

Gerald deserves more recognition than he has.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content