Joe Cool
Erazor
BladeTheHedgehog
13 posters

Religion thread

Anonymous

Religion thread Empty Religion thread

Post by Guest November 11th 2009, 12:39 am

Religion. "The oldest, most profitable, and least productive industry known to man," to use famous words. To sum it up, "Here's a fancy story. Now be good, and good things will happen to you." What religion really is, is a control mechanism. An ancient control mechanism (save for some recent alternatives that weren't needed at all) designed (mostly) by geniuses who knew that the population needed control. And for thousands of years, it worked. But then came big government, (and a few other intervening factors.) and with it, the ability to create police forces that could handle any feasible amount of criminals. What's more, religion doesn't stop criminals in modern society, because everyone's concerned only with the right now in these times. So do we really need religion anymore?

Discuss.
    BladeTheHedgehog
    BladeTheHedgehog

Religion thread 3qll2

: Male
     Rep0

Religion thread Empty Re: Religion thread

Post by BladeTheHedgehog November 11th 2009, 2:27 am

Religion gives something that people can belive in, and it keeps the buisness men's imagination alive, why would you want to kill something that keeps people beliving in something?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest November 11th 2009, 2:32 am

You do realize that religion is horribly outdated, yes? For example, masturbation and homosexuality are sins in most religions. This was perfectly logical back in the times when we could always use more people because both cut down on population growth, but now that the world is actually somewhat overpopulated and unless we severely cut down on pollution or change our genes rapidly, we'll soon be unable to live on this planet, you may as well just let people f who(or even what)ever they want so long as it's consensual (or the what is an inanimate object) so they'll be happy.
    BladeTheHedgehog
    BladeTheHedgehog

Religion thread 3qll2

Rep0

Post by BladeTheHedgehog November 11th 2009, 2:34 am

i guess that seems right that its outdated, maby they just need to update it or something, keep it relevant to this century
    Anonymous

Post by Guest November 11th 2009, 2:38 am

You're asking for something that's even more ridiculously infeasible than outright getting rid of religion, though that would be a better idea than getting rid of it, because good religion does boost morale.
    Erazor
    Erazor

Religion thread Imagee10

Religion thread Blackr10Religion thread Medalw11Religion thread Medalg10Religion thread White10Religion thread Medal13

Rep22

Post by Erazor November 11th 2009, 3:27 am

Religion isn't necessary. Kids don't need to be tought that there's an all knowing being who will smite them if they're bad. They just need to be tought good moral values.

However, I do have my own belief that something, somewhere created what created the universe.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest November 11th 2009, 3:45 am

That belief only puts a proxy on the age old question of what created the supposed creator of the universe, because now you're asking "what created the thing that created the thing that created the universe?"
    Erazor
    Erazor

Religion thread Imagee10

Religion thread Blackr10Religion thread Medalw11Religion thread Medalg10Religion thread White10Religion thread Medal13

Rep22

Post by Erazor November 11th 2009, 4:40 am

Mly wrote:That belief only puts a proxy on the age old question of what created the supposed creator of the universe, because now you're asking "what created the thing that created the thing that created the universe?"
    Pretty much. Everything has to come from somewhere.
    Joe Cool
    Joe Cool

Religion thread GOMM8

Religion thread Medal13

Rep-3

Post by Joe Cool November 11th 2009, 9:35 am

I believe in nothing and no one, life is pointless, And nothing and nobody truly matters as it's all destroyed in the end. And I'd rather believe this rather depressing belief than follow what some book said Hoping it's right, And I've looked through history and religion and All It leads to are lies and unverifiable Claims.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest November 11th 2009, 1:59 pm

I, too, am an atheist. It helps the atheism blues if you also hold the belief that the truths of reality are irrelevant so long as you have the feeling (or at the very least, the illusion) of happiness.
    Roterblitz
    Roterblitz

Religion thread VOZLn

Rep6

Post by Roterblitz November 11th 2009, 4:52 pm

BladeTheHedgehog wrote:i guess that seems right that its outdated, maby they just need to update it or something, keep it relevant to this century
    They've already done that plenty of times, but somehow it's still the infallible word of God.

Still, there is no way to definitely disprove the existence of God, not that think that's a valid excuse, I can't disprove the existence of vampires either, but it's still a possibility. Religions themselves, on the other hand cannot possibly be telling the truth today. After literally thousands of years worth of adaptation decay, whether intentional or not, even if they really were originally the direct word of God, they no longer are.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest November 11th 2009, 5:05 pm

It's especially noticeable when you look at retellings of old religious stories dealing with non-Christian religions that don't have a central good god/king god and a central evil god, though that's more "Hijacked by Jesus." The Christians really screwed good old fashioned literature up.
    Roterblitz
    Roterblitz

Religion thread VOZLn

Rep6

Post by Roterblitz November 11th 2009, 6:07 pm

Mly wrote:It's especially noticeable when you look at retellings of old religious stories dealing with non-Christian religions that don't have a central good god/king god and a central evil god, though that's more "Hijacked by Jesus." The Christians really screwed good old fashioned literature up.
    You mean like this?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest November 11th 2009, 6:11 pm

Yes, that's precisely it.
    Yioibon
    Yioibon

Rep3

Post by Yioibon November 11th 2009, 10:19 pm

I only believe in two things:
    Fried chicken
    &
    Pepsi.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Religion thread Imagee10

Religion thread Medalw11Religion thread White10Religion thread Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh November 11th 2009, 10:38 pm

Religion has caused many problems, believe me. But I still believe..
    Independence76

Religion thread GOMM8

Religion thread Medalg10Religion thread Medal13

Rep4

Post by Independence76 November 12th 2009, 11:39 pm

Religion is not to be confused with the Church.

The church has humiliated the faith many times in the last 1,000 years. And today, people place the church as what religion is based on, which is why many people throw it out as "outdated."

Philosophically, if you say there is no God or no religion is real, you immediately throw off right and wrong as nonexistent figures. Without a guide to tell us what is right or a guide to tell us what is wrong, we have no goal that's worth it.

Just name any society or political movement, and ask them why they believe in something, they'll say "because we believe it's right." Then, if we ask them "how do you know?" the entire situation changes.

Not to mention, we can make reasons for things we want to know about, but how do we know that our "reason" is true according to universal definition? With no religion, supreme being, or universal guide, we are worthless and "objective morals" do not exist.

With no reason, faith, or comparisons left to use without philosophical counter-evidence, you must ask yourself: "with so many subjective views, is anything actually WORTH fighting for? And even then, how do I really KNOW?"

If you use proper anti-religion logic, you will come to the conclusion that Adolf Hitler and Mother Teresa are no different in the "good or bad" they have done in the world. To say one is good and one is bad would be a flaw in the atheistic view.

Many people confuse religion as being a comfort zone of a life after death. This is far from the actual case.

The only remaining religions after philosophical arguments that can be considered "true" offer doctrine that states if you do not believe in what you are supposed to, you will burn in hell for all eternity. Not very comforting, is it?

And, as an educated Christian, I did not come to my views upon being raised. I left the faith for a while, then came back, not because I wanted to believe, but because it was the only thing I could see believing in. I am not comfortable with my faith (the wrath of God is a scary subject for the public), but I am comfortable with the solid basis that it has throughout multiple arguments and subjects.

For all of those who believe that a spiritual world does not exist, please answer this question:

"Is it wrong to kill people?"

And I'd rather believe this rather depressing belief than follow what some book said Hoping it's right, And I've looked through history and religion and All It leads to are lies and unverifiable Claims.

The Holy Bible is meant to be taken as a historical document, and it has yet to have faults found within the records when AD ("anno domini" / in the year of our Lord) first began. "Hoping it's right" isn't good enough, which is why there is an entire philosophical backing.

And, how do you know this? Even the statement you just made could be accused of being an unverifiable claim.
    Chaos_Overlord
    Chaos_Overlord

Religion thread VOZLn

Religion thread Medalw11Religion thread Medal13

Rep11

Post by Chaos_Overlord November 13th 2009, 1:00 pm

I believe in my religion. Whats more, it may give reason to hope to the people who's lives are in the toilet.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest November 13th 2009, 5:32 pm

Independence76 wrote:Religion is not to be confused with the Church.

The church has humiliated the faith many times in the last 1,000 years. And today, people place the church as what religion is based on, which is why many people throw it out as "outdated."

Philosophically, if you say there is no God or no religion is real, you immediately throw off right and wrong as nonexistent figures. Without a guide to tell us what is right or a guide to tell us what is wrong, we have no goal that's worth it.

Allow me to clarify my point. It seems that religion is failing us not in the aspect of defining right and wrong, but in the aspect of preventing that defined as wrong and increasing quantity of that defined as right. I do believe that certain things are right and that certain things are wrong, but that religion (and the church, by your implied definition of it) has outdated ideas of right and wrong based upon the definitions that "wrong" is that which harms society and "right" is that which helps it, (neutral of course being that which does neither) which I personally believe is the only way to go in terms of right and wrong.

Just name any society or political movement, and ask them why they believe in something, they'll say "because we believe it's right." Then, if we ask them "how do you know?" the entire situation changes.

That is because that question is unanswerable, seeing as there is no infallible proof that a belief is right. About the only thing that can be taken for fact is that the observer exists because of "I think, therefore I am." It's sort of sad, really, because it gives no proof that what we perceive is real.

Not to mention, we can make reasons for things we want to know about, but how do we know that our "reason" is true according to universal definition? With no religion, supreme being, or universal guide, we are worthless and "objective morals" do not exist.

Now you're just saying that people without religion in their lives are lawless, evil people in a fancy way.

With no reason, faith, or comparisons left to use without philosophical counter-evidence, you must ask yourself: "with so many subjective views, is anything actually WORTH fighting for? And even then, how do I really KNOW?"

The problem with the question of "what's worth fighting for?" is that every answer can be perceived as right. This is why we have corrupt politicians slowly killing America, Canada, and the EU. At this point, religion certainly isn't stopping these things.

If you use proper anti-religion logic, you will come to the conclusion that Adolf Hitler and Mother Teresa are no different in the "good or bad" they have done in the world. To say one is good and one is bad would be a flaw in the atheistic view.

One can have criterion for what it good and what is bad and not have a religion. You're confusing religion with philosophy. Religions can have philosophies, but some philosophies (Confucianism, as an example.) stand alone.

Many people confuse religion as being a comfort zone of a life after death. This is far from the actual case.

The only remaining religions after philosophical arguments that can be considered "true" offer doctrine that states if you do not believe in what you are supposed to, you will burn in hell for all eternity. Not very comforting, is it?

And, as an educated Christian, I did not come to my views upon being raised. I left the faith for a while, then came back, not because I wanted to believe, but because it was the only thing I could see believing in. I am not comfortable with my faith (the wrath of God is a scary subject for the public), but I am comfortable with the solid basis that it has throughout multiple arguments and subjects.

For all of those who believe that a spiritual world does not exist, please answer this question:

"Is it wrong to kill people?"

Death should be used as punishment for doing severe wrongs, but aside from that, yes. I of course interpret wrong as "harmful to society."

And I'd rather believe this rather depressing belief than follow what some book said Hoping it's right, And I've looked through history and religion and All It leads to are lies and unverifiable Claims.

The Holy Bible is meant to be taken as a historical document, and it has yet to have faults found within the records when AD ("anno domini" / in the year of our Lord) first began. "Hoping it's right" isn't good enough, which is why there is an entire philosophical backing.

And, how do you know this? Even the statement you just made could be accused of being an unverifiable claim.
    codeorange

Religion thread GOMM8

Religion thread Medalg10Religion thread White10Religion thread Medal13

Rep6

Post by codeorange November 13th 2009, 11:40 pm

Truth be told, I am a born again Christian who believes in the end times/rapture, and likewise, to go with that, I believe in some (but not all) conspiracy theories, but besides that, to go in depth with this topic, I believe in God, and I believe in his son Jesus Christ, and I'm not ashamed in saying that. They're one and the same, and I believe in and accept the sacrifice that Jesus made on the cross, because that clears the sins that we have made in the past, but also what we will do in the future. I just simply accept what He did on the cross, and that's all I needed to do to be saved.

I do not go to church because I do not feel as if that's mandatory, but I do read my bible every chance that I get, and I cherish the times that I have when I read my bible. Would it be okay to go to church? Sure, go ahead, but don't feel pressured to go because it truly isn't mandatory.

Death is just a part of life. Now Adam and Eve commited the sin of eating the forbidden fruit, they and all other generations of people were punished with the presence of death, and while death occurs to people even today, when you die and go to Heaven, you will live forever in afterlife. After the rapture occurs, people won't experience death anymore. They'll be given new bodies where they will be indeed immortal, given to them as a reward from God.

I am definitely aware of the fact that there are false prophets and those people preach false doctorines, and those things are running so rampant these days. I have no respect for those kinds of people because what they preach is corrupt and wrong. Those are the kinds of people who wouldn't be afraid to mock God, but IMO, it's a big no-no to do that.

I believe that there is a god and I proclaim that there is only one god. His name is God.

Now if anybody wants to believe in the contrary, then by all means, continue to believe that way. I'm not trying to make anybody agree with me. I'm only explaining my beliefs and point of view.

EDIT: Why I put in "before" in one of the paragraphs, I will never know. Mess up.
    Independence76

Religion thread GOMM8

Rep4

Post by Independence76 November 14th 2009, 1:26 am

Mly wrote:
    Allow me to clarify my point. It seems that religion is failing us not in the aspect of defining right and wrong, but in the aspect of preventing that defined as wrong and increasing quantity of that defined as right. I do believe that certain things are right and that certain things are wrong, but that religion (and the church, by your implied definition of it) has outdated ideas of right and wrong based upon the definitions that "wrong" is that which harms society and "right" is that which helps it, (neutral of course being that which does neither) which I personally believe is the only way to go in terms of right and wrong.

Just because the world changes doesn't mean a religion is supposed to change with it. The whole point of religion is to be a static set of morals for all eternity, regardless of its surroundings. Conforming to the times in terms of society's look on morality is an action out of nothing but fear.

That is because that question is unanswerable, seeing as there is no infallible proof that a belief is right. About the only thing that can be taken for fact is that the observer exists because of "I think, therefore I am." It's sort of sad, really, because it gives no proof that what we perceive is real.

So, why spend the time to fight for it then? What difference would it make once we're dead?

It's the problem with most religious audiences nowadays. Little education of the study of what they really believe, therefore unable to answer difficult questions.

Now you're just saying that people without religion in their lives are lawless, evil people in a fancy way.

That wasn't point. We can make up morals to ourselves, but in the end, they are only lies to make ourselves feel more secure and complete. There is no solid basis upon it.

The problem with the question of "what's worth fighting for?" is that every answer can be perceived as right. This is why we have corrupt politicians slowly killing America, Canada, and the EU. At this point, religion certainly isn't stopping these things.

That's because religion is almost nonexistent in politics anymore. Any really "religious" AND "successful" politicians have turned up as idiots. Bill Clinton claimed to be faithful, then one night he goes and bangs his secretary.

Real faith in successful politicians is extremely hard to come across nowadays. Sadly, anyone who is faithful and in politics is normally flamed by the media.

One can have criterion for what it good and what is bad and not have a religion. You're confusing religion with philosophy. Religions can have philosophies, but some philosophies (Confucianism, as an example.) stand alone.

But, how would you come to those conclusions? And even then, how do you know them to be true or worth fighting for?

Death should be used as punishment for doing severe wrongs, but aside from that, yes. I of course interpret wrong as "harmful to society."

How do you know it's really harmful?

How did you come to that conclusion in the first place?
    Independence76

Religion thread GOMM8

Rep4

Post by Independence76 November 14th 2009, 4:28 am

Mly wrote:
    A Freudian slip, methinks.
    @i76:
    1: Religion should not reflect the morals of a society, nor should it remain static for all time. It should reflect the morals that are most prudent to the advancement of society. For example, my post about masturbation and homosexuality. Those were forbidden for a good reason thousands of years ago: they detracted from the population growth when more people were always a plus. Now we have a bit too many people, and they might as well be happy screwing willing participants of the same sex or themselves, seeing as increasing the population of the world at this point would only hurt us.
    2: What difference will any human impact in the present make on Earth when the last humans are dead? Either none or a barely noticeable one that will fade a way in, at best, a million years. By your logic and the logic that we'll all die eventually, (which we will, due to the fact that the universe will eventually be unable to support life due to heat death) absolutely nothing is worth fighting for.
    3: And why is your religion exempt to this rule?
    4: It's because people say they believe in something, then don't follow what they say they believe in. It's present from coast to coast, from border to border, in the poorest neighborhoods of Chicago right up to god-damned Gate's house, not to mention that it's just as present in every other nation of the world.
    5: If you mean the conclusion of what is right and what is wrong, I come to the conclusion that all that harms society is wrong, and all that helps it is right. I don't know that it's correct or that it's worth fighting for. I can only assume and offer that I think it to be only logical that we consider that which harms society wrong and the opposite right.
    6: Well, something that lowers population happiness is harmful, I believe, based solely on my belief that the main goal of life is to be happy. There may be a few possible exceptions to this, though. For example, if all the governments of the world were to rip the global economy to shreds and disband all militaries to build a machine that makes everyone on the earth happy, that would be unacceptable in my opinion. This is because the economy and military of a civilization are crucial to maintaining happiness. What good would the happiness machine do us if an asteroid hit the earth the day after we built it and destroyed all humans? We wouldn't have the economy to build something to direct it away from Earth. What if aliens invaded and tried to take the machine? Ordinarily, seeing as the technology to get here from even the nearest star would be great, we would stand a minimal chance of defending it with our military, but without it, we could do absolutely nothing. Additionally, such a machine would be like a drug, in that it would make us happy and take away our motivation to do things. Without our motives, we would eventually die of crumbling infrastructure and dwindling food. With our motives, we would last much longer, and be able to defend what joy in the world we have, and the like. Longevity is also important, I suppose.

1. Then what's the point? Religion is supposed to change society, and not the other way around. You can try to change it all you want, but your human nature will always remain the same. Shouldn't that alone say something about the static morals?

2. I don't mean "we" as in all of humanity, I mean "we" as in anyone who fights for anything without any good knowledge of its existence.

3. There is a lot of evidence to back it up. People need to stop thinking of the Bible as some book of beliefs. It's a historical document that states the believes we must believe by a man who conquered death and proved his claims of who he was. Archeologically, we cannot immediately prove Jesus' teachings, but we can confirm all of the excess details involving politics in that time. With no political documents involving flaws, it would seem more credible to believe. Philosophy also holds a major argument, above many others.

4. (Skipping).

5. Well, before you can start viewing harm from happiness, you must first know what it is. You need something to compare it to. As God is a fully "good" figure and Satan is a fully "evil" figure, we have those to compare to. Also, society has grown to get more and more unintelligent over the past hundred years. Are you really going to follow them out of religion because they're "society?"

6. What if harming society makes others happy? Our human nature is hideously imperfect, and there is no such thing as "final happiness." We constantly crave for more. There is no end. We repeat over and over again to make ourselves feel better and we try to make society happy, but when there is no final happiness, it's a road to infinite darkness. No destination, only a journey that will never be complete. With a point A and no point B, I now ask, what's the point?

We know the universe is not infinite, as it is mathematically impossible. Why should we act like it is? With every cause, there is an effect. And, with the cause of shooting for happiness, why should we act like there is no effect? There will always be consequences. This is why the US constitution does not guarantee life, liberty, and happiness, it only guarantees the pursuit of it.

To know happiness, we must know harm. In order to know that, we must really KNOW them from each other.
    Phantom
    Phantom

Religion thread VOZLn

Religion thread Medal13

Rep11

Post by Phantom November 14th 2009, 3:30 pm

I've been baptized and confirmed in the Episcopal Church. In my experience, faith can be the best possible means of support. In all of human thought, it is still based in a world that is imperfect, and it can only go so far. So how do we have imperfect people using imperfect means to tell an imperfect world about that which is not imperfect?

It's possible to be rational and still believe; I question my faith all the time and inexorably am led back to it, as though my faith questions me right back. I believe that logic and faith can--and should--go hand-in-hand to explain all of life's mysteries. Faith without logic can be divisive and dangerous (especially when people are driven to fanaticism, thank you very much WBC), whereas logic without faith is desolate, cold, and puts people off-center and into a nihilistic and programmatic lifestyle. People were not meant to live like that.
    Boom
    Boom

Religion thread GOMM8

Religion thread Blackr10Religion thread Medal13

Rep1

Post by Boom November 14th 2009, 3:53 pm

May I ask a quick question?
    What would it take for a religion to be proven for the athiests here?
    codeorange

Religion thread GOMM8

Religion thread Medalg10Religion thread White10Religion thread Medal13

Rep6

Post by codeorange November 14th 2009, 5:37 pm

Let me make this as clear as I possibly can to you Mly. YOU don't tell ME what MY religion is all about. I deleted your response to my post because it came off as holier than thou arrogant and disrespectful, and aside from that, you missed my point entirely, which not to my surprise, I was kind of expecting. You're not in my shoes, living the lifestyle of a born again Christian, so until you do, you have no right to point out things to me that I already know. Just because you point out things that I didn't point out does not mean that I'm uneducated about my religion.

"I know that God's real name is Yahweh, whereas you do not."

^ Get off the soapbox, dude, because I'm not having any of that.

You're wrong on God's real name. His real name is Yehovah, not Yahweh. I can confirm that through MANY other born again believing Christians.

The apple IS the forbidden fruit mentioned in the book of Genesis. God told Adam and Eve straight up. Satan was the one who tempted Eve to eat that forbidden fruit, and she did, and sinned. She offered Adam to eat this fruit as well, and he did, and sinned. Before they did this, they did have perfect bodies, and they were meant to live forever. Immortality. After they sinned, they were punished by having to only live a period of time and then die.

False prophets intentionally twist the truth of what is really said in the Holy Bible. They have their own interpretations of the bible, and those views are wrong. They're out and about all over the world. IMO, they're not hard to find if you look in the right places. They will either add onto what is said in the bible, such as add verses which are clearly not there, or they will take away what is said in the bible. For example, I have heard of some churches intentionally discarding the book of Revelation, not acknowledging it at all. No TRUE Christian church group would do that sort of thing. Some false prohpets also teach the works of the devil and they share their views on certain political issues and politicians and how they're supposedly tied to righteousness, and whatnot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content