Alien Syndrome

RolfLandale
    RolfLandale

Alien Syndrome WFmvl

: Male
     Rep0

Alien Syndrome Empty Alien Syndrome

Post by RolfLandale December 13th 2009, 12:57 am

I recently unlocked the arcade version of this game on the Genesis collection (it's a hidden extra, along with the original arcade version of Altered Beast as well as other older arcade games), which you do by getting a certain number of points without dying while playing Alien Storm, which I think is either a sequel or spinoff of this game. Anyway, I forgot how fun this game was. I remember the first time I played it was when I was on vacation in 1998, and my mother got me the NES version used at KMart. I was 12 or at least a few weeks shy of it around this time. I thought it was a very interesting game. You play as either Ricky or Mary, and you have to rescue your kidnapped comrades who are being held captive by aliens in different space stations. Once you rescue a certain number of hostages, you're instructed to go to the exit. After that you have to fight a boss. I only played the Sega Master System version of the game once, which was on a ROM, so I don't remember if it had this feature, but one advantage the NES version had over the arcade version was that you could continue. Your continues were limited to like 3, but you could continue either way. In the arcade version, you can't continue, so if you lose all your lives, it's Game Over. The music in the game is very brooding. It pulls you right into the game's dark, sci-fi themed atmosphere. It's a fun and very challenging game. If you don't feel like getting SUGC for the 360 or PS3 or whatever, and you wanna be a crook and play stuff illegally, it's emulated on the MAME arcade emulator. There was a new Alien Syndrome game made for the Wii in 2007, and I got it that Christmas. I never really got to quite check it out though. I only played it once. The reason was because there was something wrong with the nunchuck, and I waited too long to get another one, and I lost interest. I might just have to check it out again.

Q:Wait, they had Sega games on the NES?
    A:Believe it or not, they did. The NES version was released in North America by the infamous unlicensed game company, Tengen, but the NES version was actually developed by Sunsoft and first released on the NES' japanese counterpart, the Famicom in 1988. Tengen's version came out a year later, and all the references to Sunsoft were removed from the Tengen version. Tengen also brought some other older Sega arcade titles to the NES such as After Burner, Fantasy Zone and Shinobi (the first two were also developed by Sunsoft with no mention of them in the Tengen versions, just like AS.). There are also Famicom versions of Space Harrier and Altered Beast, but Tengen never brought those over here.