The ancient lands.

2 posters

Sonic 4 Review

Gamma The Great
    Gamma The Great

Sonic 4 Review VOZLn

Sonic 4 Review Medalw11Sonic 4 Review Medalg10Sonic 4 Review Zigzag10Sonic 4 Review Medal13

Rep2

Sonic 4 Review Empty Sonic 4 Review

Post by Gamma The Great May 1st 2010, 4:12 pm

“This game is freaking polished,” the source said. “I didn’t run into a single bug or glitch in my entire playthrough. I would honestly be surprised if anything in the final build changed.”

From there, the source explained some of the game mechanics and specifically cited one of what he feels are a few “glaring gameplay flaws.” It involves the in-game momentum based physics, and for veteran and/or purist Sonic fans, it could be a very big deal:

In previous Sonic games, if you maintain certain speed and let off the directional pad while jumping, you will continue to move in that direction with the appropriate momentum. Not so in Sonic 4. From the second you let off that direction on the controller, you begin to slow down. This wouldn’t be so terrible if it was only on the ground, but it’s in the air, too. Unless Sonic 4 takes place on King Kai’s planet, this wouldn’t happen, and it severely screws up how a classic Sonic player would play it.

Other flaws the tipster cites include poor enemy placement, a lack of shields, and though sparse, occasionally frustrating level design. Specifically called out was the mine cart setup in Lost Labyrinth, which in the source’s opinion “absolutely does not belong in a classic Sonic game.”

There were complements in the critique, however. The writeup praised the game’s visuals and sound. And overall, though he personally did not enjoy what’s there so far, that doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll share the same sentiment:

Final word: I did not enjoy myself. The gameplay flaws I’ve outlined in this first impression were making me scream obscenities frequently enough to where I persevered only for the purpose of this hands on. That’s not to say that I think it’s a bad game…on the contrary; this is definitely a step in the right direction.
    TheShadowWalker
    TheShadowWalker

Sonic 4 Review VOZLn

Sonic 4 Review Medalw11Sonic 4 Review Medalg10Sonic 4 Review Medal13Sonic 4 Review 2hygec

: Male
     Rep3

Sonic 4 Review Empty Re: Sonic 4 Review

Post by TheShadowWalker May 1st 2010, 4:18 pm

How can you review it when it never came out yet?