The ancient lands.

+5
JRcade18
Roterblitz
Super Racer Z
Zez
Phantom
9 posters

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game?

Phantom
    Phantom

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? VOZLn

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medal13

: Male
     Rep11

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Empty What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game?

Post by Phantom June 21st 2010, 1:51 pm

Since the mid-90s, with the arrival of games such as Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and GoldenEye, games have started to develop an ever-increasing fascination with the "hardcore." But what exactly is it that makes a game "hardcore?"

Is it the use of violent conflict (i.e. using weapons to slaughter hordes of enemies in massive, bloody explosions)?

Is it sex appeal for a male power-fantasy?

Is it the struggle to present emotionally-engaging stories and scenarios?

What separates a "hardcore" or "mature" game from everything else?
    Zez
    Zez

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Blackr10What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medalw11What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Zigzag10What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medal13

Rep24

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Empty Re: What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game?

Post by Zez June 21st 2010, 2:11 pm

Hardcore for me is if the gameplay and plot are at their apex. Every element in the game is in balance, and most of all, things are taken seriously, not much joke-cracking, smiling, etc., if there's really a problem, antagonist, etc., then it needs to be dealt with as such.Some examples of a hardcore game for me would be Sonic Adventure 2, the God of War series, Call of Duty series, and a few others that I can't think of right now. Just because there's sex or violence doesn't automatically make the game superior to all others, case in inverse point, Sonic Adventure series and Grand Theft Auto. I don't really consider Grand Theft Auto all that hardcore because they don't really take things all that seriously, you're in a sandbox environment and can do whatever you want, it lacks that sense of realism. On the other hand, Sonic Adventure 2 is hardcore to me because they all have a purpose relevant to the plot, sure, it's Sonic, but that's my opinon.
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? 56qtD

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medalw11What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medal13

Rep16

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Empty Re: What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game?

Post by Super Racer Z June 21st 2010, 2:34 pm

I consider hardcore and mature two different things myself. Hardcore and mature games are subjective and opinion based, but I believe hardcore games to be usually competitive games which are highly popular with gamers who play video games commonly. Generally, the game is M rated. Although a "mature" game may have many of these characteristic, mature games are generally more plot driven and emotionally involving. They can be more serious, but generally they invoke a large range of emotional responses, from happiness, despair, sadness, laughter, and more. Also, the rating of these games can be from any rating, with the exception being Early Childhood.

Also, I wish the rating indications were age based, (with the exception of everyone) because a game can be inappropriate for young ages while still remaining immature and unappealing to adults.
    Roterblitz
    Roterblitz

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Blackr10What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medalw11What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medalg10What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? White10What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medal13

Rep6

Post by Roterblitz June 21st 2010, 7:01 pm

Hardcore, in this context, being the opposite of casual. Not necessarily a serious or story driven game, just one with deep gameplay that respects the player.

Mature, in the gaming world simply means M-rated is more "mature" than T-rated. Much more superficial than its meaning outside of gaming, as many "mature" rated games are anything but.
    JRcade18
    JRcade18

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? WFmvl

Rep0

Post by JRcade18 June 23rd 2010, 8:48 pm

Most gamers today associate "Hardcore" with "Mature".

But there is a difference.

"Hardcore" games, have to have at least once, presented some sort of challenge to the player. A fair but moderately difficult challenge.

Mentally, such as refelxes and strategy.

Old games were full of puzzling and interesting ways to get past levels. Most of today's games run on a singularity.

"Mature" Games are just that. Blood, Gore, sex...ect.

I like some of them, but most are just repetitive and uninteresting.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? ZtZYh

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Blackr10What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medalw11What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Zigzag10What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? White10What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medal13What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter June 23rd 2010, 9:51 pm

Simple. Hardcore has a hard core. Mature has mature content not suitable for those of immature mindsets.
    Phantom
    Phantom

Rep11

Post by Phantom June 24th 2010, 7:36 pm

Personally, I try not to buy into such distinctions; for me, a game is a game and if it appeals to me then I'll play it. But from what I've seen from the rest of the world, "hardcore" can refer to a game that is intended to be played for hours on end and with a set of clearly-defined goals, which can signal the end of the game, or it can go on forever (e.g. World of Warcraft or GTA). A "mature" game is either a game with a serious tone by way of story or scenario, (e.g. Condemned), or simply relying on violent acts such as killing mass amounts of enemies and calling it a reward for playing (almost everything else rated M).

That said, what would be the biggest difference between "hardcore/mature" games and "casual" games?
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medalw11What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medal13

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 June 24th 2010, 9:25 pm

Hardcore games are really games that bring you in; they make you feel like playing forever, and all the attributes of a game, you feel, are set to an all-time high. Mature games are more of the kind that seem to have inappropriate content that wouldn't be good for youngsters.

The difference between hardcore/mature games and casual games are that casual games can bring you in easily, but you don't get into it as much as a hardcore game, I find. A game like Wii Sports seems like a casual title that you play regularly, and don't have to do anything truly mind-blowing. But they are still enjoyable and good for the general audience. Hardcore games, on the other hand, like GTA or Metal Gear Solid, has deep stories and gameplay that would bring more of a specified audience in, and have mind-blowing effects and probably make a certain person's experience much more enjoyable. In short, casual games seem like the kind of game that brings the general audience in to enjoy, while hardcore/mature games aims for a kind of genre that a certain person would enjoy.
    Jaded Jirachi
    Jaded Jirachi

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? GOMM8

Rep0

Post by Jaded Jirachi July 5th 2010, 8:33 pm

Grand Theft Auto is the best Mature game, just thought i'd throw that out there
    Roterblitz
    Roterblitz

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Blackr10What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medalw11What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medalg10What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? White10What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medal13

Rep6

Post by Roterblitz July 6th 2010, 12:52 am

Jirachi wrote:Grand Theft Auto is the best Mature game, just thought i'd throw that out there
    Always appreciated Kanye...
    Army
    Army

What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Blackr10What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medalw11What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medalg10What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Zigzag10What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Medal13What constitutes a "Hardcore" or "Mature" game? Rainbo10

Rep2

Post by Army July 7th 2010, 1:14 am

What makes a Mature game;
    A large sum of violence
    Blood and Gore
    Sex
    Drugs
    Spamming of swear words
    and anything else the ESRB considers 'Rated M' worthy

What makes a game Hardcore;
    Whatever you consider Hardcore.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content