Yioibon
Auflodern
Zez
7 posters

Top 25 Consoles

Zez
    Zez

Top 25 Consoles VOZLn

Top 25 Consoles Blackr10Top 25 Consoles Medalw11Top 25 Consoles Zigzag10Top 25 Consoles Medal13

: Male
     Rep24

Top 25 Consoles Empty Top 25 Consoles

Post by Zez July 26th 2010, 3:36 pm

http://www.ign.com/top-25-consoles/

According to IGN:

25.- Magnavox Odyssey
    24.- Atari Jaguar
    23.- Atari 5200
    22.- 3DO
    21.- Magnavox Odyssey2
    20.- SEGA Master System
    19.- Neo Geo
    18.- SEGA Saturn
    17.- Atari 7800
    16.- Nintendo Gamecube
    15.- PlayStation 3
    14.- Intellivison
    13.- TurboGrafx-16
    12.- Colecovision
    11.- Xbox
    10.- Wii
    9.- Nintendo 64
    8.- Dreamcast
    7.- PlayStation
    6.- Xbox 360
    5.- SEGA Genesis
    4.- Super Nintendo
    3.- PlayStation 2
    2.- Atari 2600
    1.- NES

There's so many things wrong with this list, it's ridiculous. To their credit, the list gets a bit more decent in the lower digits.
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

Top 25 Consoles VOZLn

Top 25 Consoles Medalw11Top 25 Consoles Zigzag10Top 25 Consoles White10Top 25 Consoles Medal13

Rep26

Top 25 Consoles Empty Re: Top 25 Consoles

Post by Auflodern July 26th 2010, 6:57 pm

I still think that the PS2 is the greatest console in the history of the gaming world. The only console that was able to take down a giant (sega)
    Zez
    Zez

Top 25 Consoles VOZLn

Top 25 Consoles Blackr10Top 25 Consoles Medalw11Top 25 Consoles Zigzag10Top 25 Consoles Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez July 26th 2010, 7:08 pm

The PS2's most notable take over was concerning Nintendo when it competed against the N64. The Dreamcast failed compared to every console, not solely because of Sony.
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

Top 25 Consoles VOZLn

Top 25 Consoles Medalw11Top 25 Consoles Zigzag10Top 25 Consoles White10Top 25 Consoles Medal13

Rep26

Post by Auflodern July 26th 2010, 7:19 pm

Zez wrote:The PS2's most notable take over was concerning Nintendo when it competed against the N64. The Dreamcast failed compared to every console, not solely because of Sony.

But back then in the year 2000 the Gamecube had not been launched yet and the PS2 and Dreamcast were going head to head. Sure the N64 was still out and making money but compared to the output of both of those consoles it isn't even worth mentioning. Basically it all came down to the games... and Sony won out because it was a choice between a 3D sonic game after the Saturn's games, or a Crash Bandicoot game after Crash bandicoot 3. After this whole war was fought and SEGA capitulating under Sony. Then the Gamecube was released, learning none of the faults of the Dreamcast it had no online the disc being so small they could not hold as much as the Compaq disc of the PS2 and the controller being a better design than the N64 controller but still very odd for first time users. While the Dualshock is very straight foreward and as such why I think the PS2 is the best console designed overall. Heck I can go so far to say that some PS2 games look better than current games on the 360 or PS3.
    Zez
    Zez

Top 25 Consoles VOZLn

Rep24

Post by Zez July 26th 2010, 7:51 pm

Auflodern wrote:But back then in the year 2000 the Gamecube had not been launched yet and the PS2 and Dreamcast were going head to head.

That's not much of a rivalry, considering that the Dreamcast was the earliest release of a sixth generation console, being the only one to be released in the 90's. Its early entry into the 128-bit era sealed its fate as a failure to begin with. It didn't allow itself time to see what its competition would have been, and simply decided to release another disc formatted system. Frankly, any manufacturer at that time could have, would have, and did surpass SEGA. PS2 doing it was nothing special when everyone else did it as well.

Auflodern wrote:Sure the N64 was still out and making money but compared to the output of both of those consoles it isn't even worth mentioning.

It's still relevant. Since Sony started out using discs, and Nintendo was still using cartridges, that really impacted Nintendo's grip on the market. SEGA's console entry in the fifth generation was the Saturn, albeit it was the third highest selling console at the time, but the N64 and PSOne were the only ones who exceeded ten million in sales, that, plus knowing that another manufacturer has successfully, not arguably, bested Nintendo, I find that to be more noteworthy. But that's me.

Auflodern wrote:Basically it all came down to the games... and Sony won out because it was a choice between a 3D sonic game after the Saturn's games, or a Crash Bandicoot game after Crash bandicoot 3. After this whole war was fought and SEGA capitulating under Sony.

Right, but even the N64 succeeded the Saturn, and that was done using cartridges, an outdated format. I would think that would be more significant.

Auflodern wrote:Then the Gamecube was released, learning none of the faults of the Dreamcast it had no online the disc being so small they could not hold as much as the Compaq disc of the PS2 and the controller being a better design than the N64 controller but still very odd for first time users. While the Dualshock is very straight foreward and as such why I think the PS2 is the best console designed overall.

I don't see where you're going with this, you basically said the Gamecube was poorly made, and had a lot of mistakes. Wouldn't that make it less impressive if it were defeated?

Auflodern wrote:Heck I can go so far to say that some PS2 games look better than current games on the 360 or PS3.

That depends on your own point of view, what you consider to be better, what type of games you're talking about, and what specific element you're referring to. Arguable at best. Nonetheless...

Top 25 Consoles Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsKXyULolivp_SAQSF2ASOJzj74w7CYnQfbWwugPuvV5iv2uc&t=1&usg=__ZhEvk39_pMsNc1pBeh22gdoZI_s=
    Gran Turismo 3

If

Top 25 Consoles Site_gran-turismo-5-ss-192
    Gran Turismo 5

you

Top 25 Consoles Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDf3S8B018LSMzyofSKst_2AKmwZjtUc5rI750C6QA_-tXfd8&t=1&usg=__UqciNJh-_ZyfTmFxBWpOjmT6vxE=
    Grand Theft Auto III

say

Top 25 Consoles Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3Ia-fCwien_Cs8fO4r8I7h_sSGzTWxB3A4PE9VXOucbKIAYI&t=1&usg=__5SoaGSj0atESb3M-dCe4edQfyS4=
    Grand Theft Auto IV

so.
    Yioibon
    Yioibon

Rep3

Post by Yioibon July 26th 2010, 7:53 pm

Wow....Neo-Geo at #19...Atari jaguar above Magnavox Odyssey...Ign doesn't know what they are talking about.
    Zez
    Zez

Top 25 Consoles VOZLn

Rep24

Post by Zez July 26th 2010, 7:55 pm

Yioibon wrote:Wow....Neo-Geo at #19...Atari jaguar above Magnavox Odyssey...Ign doesn't know what they are talking about.

This, plus many other mistakes is why I said this list has issues. Placing TurboGrafx above Intellivision? Really?
    sykog
    sykog

Top 25 Consoles Imagee10

Top 25 Consoles Blackr10Top 25 Consoles Medalw11Top 25 Consoles Medalg10Top 25 Consoles Zigzag10Top 25 Consoles Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog July 27th 2010, 1:49 am

What's a Colecolvision, and how is it better than Gamecube?
    Shade
    Shade

Top 25 Consoles VOZLn

Top 25 Consoles Medalw11Top 25 Consoles Zigzag10Top 25 Consoles Medal13

Rep2

Post by Shade July 27th 2010, 6:06 am

I don't understand why the Playstation 3 ranks below the Wii and the XBOX 360 at #15, when the Playstation 3 has more Wi-Fi technology (such as toys like the eye-toy, and the ability to play on Blu-Ray) than the XBOX 360 and the Wii.
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

Top 25 Consoles 56qtD

Top 25 Consoles Medalw11Top 25 Consoles Medal13

Rep16

Post by Super Racer Z July 27th 2010, 10:03 am

sykog wrote:What's a Colecolvision, and how is it better than Gamecube?

Colecovision is one of the older consoles out there. The main competitors were Intellivision, Colecovision, Vectrex, and Atari 5200. Not sure which of the three were better, because I wasn't even close to being around then. I know my dad was like eight or something when it first came out.
    Hayzer
    Hayzer

Top 25 Consoles 3qll2

Top 25 Consoles White10

Rep0

Post by Hayzer July 27th 2010, 12:39 pm

Wait wait wait...

PS2 should not be above the N64.

Btw, what's all the talk about PS2 rivaling the N64? They weren't even in the same generation. N64 competed against the PS, not the PS2. PS2 competed against Gamecube and Xbox, and later somehow managed to pull something out of its rear and make it into the newest generation.

I woul've ranked N64 first.
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

Top 25 Consoles VOZLn

Rep26

Post by Auflodern July 27th 2010, 12:42 pm

with a controller with buttons so randomly placed they needed to fit the Z onto the back?

:/
    Hayzer
    Hayzer

Top 25 Consoles 3qll2

Top 25 Consoles White10

Rep0

Post by Hayzer July 27th 2010, 12:44 pm

Auflodern wrote:with a controller with buttons so randomly placed they needed to fit the Z onto the back?

I didn't find anything wrong with it. Weird design, yes, but it felt pretty natural.

Besides, the games are ten times better than PS2 games anyway.
    Shade
    Shade

Top 25 Consoles VOZLn

Top 25 Consoles Medalw11Top 25 Consoles Zigzag10Top 25 Consoles Medal13

Rep2

Post by Shade July 27th 2010, 3:05 pm

Auflodern wrote:with a controller with buttons so randomly placed they needed to fit the Z onto the back?

Although the ergonomics of the controller are flawed, the console was still very good.
    Zez
    Zez

Top 25 Consoles VOZLn

Rep24

Post by Zez July 27th 2010, 3:53 pm

sykog wrote:What's a Colecolvision, and how is it better than Gamecube?

Top 25 Consoles 800px-ColecoVision

The Colecovision was a console release in 1982, and its best selling game was Donkey Kong. It's actually not that bad a console, and, as Super Racer Z mentioned, competed against the Atari 5200, Vectrex, Emerson Arcadia, the Odyssey2, and Intellivision.

How it's better than a Nintendo Gamecube is pure opinion.

Hayzer wrote:Wait wait wait...

PS2 should not be above the N64.

Explain.

Hayzer wrote:Btw, what's all the talk about PS2 rivaling the N64? They weren't even in the same generation. N64 competed against the PS, not the PS2.

I believe I explained this. The Nintendo 64's lifespan bled over into the sixth generation, and when the PlayStation 2 was released, that's what made it obsolete.

Hayzer wrote:PS2 competed against Gamecube and Xbox, and later somehow managed to pull something out of its rear and make it into the newest generation.

If by "pulling something out of its rear", you mean chronologically, reasonably, logically and linearly releasing a succeeding console in the manner of increasing one whole, real number each time, then yeah, it came out of nowhere.

Hayzer wrote:I woul've ranked N64 first.

Why?

Amen, brother. I've never before, nor since, dealt with such a difficult controller.

Hayzer wrote:I didn't find anything wrong with it. Weird design, yes, but it felt pretty natural.

This:

Top 25 Consoles N64_controller

felt natural to you? ...If you say so.

Maybe if it were made into this:

Top 25 Consoles Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQowxg72C6Hra-z_S7sTAxIz-fFRJywfUQBDPC8xRMl6_q3K3Y&t=1&usg=__CbyH8zaWrGbxFRQG1TcFJsuxMnI=

Or this:

Top 25 Consoles Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTM8SD6wRfdB75i13S4hyqxNNYuVibWvkQqa6t8U5yaF913dq0&t=1&usg=__WTpdGtqdFGjI4UPVhltEE0LeXVQ=

But, I digress.

Hayzer wrote:Besides, the games are ten times better than PS2 games anyway.

In what way?
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

Top 25 Consoles VOZLn

Rep26

Post by Auflodern July 27th 2010, 4:08 pm

Ace Combat 5 which is better than anything you two can whip up.

Top 25 Consoles Acecombat5_3

Yioibon
    Yioibon

Rep3

Post by Yioibon July 27th 2010, 6:05 pm

How are you going to hate on the n64? Once you get used to it's controller it is actually quite decent. N64 had alot of good games, jet force gemini, the wcw and wwf games, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Hybrid heaven, Donkey Kong 64, Star Fox 64, Bomberman Hero, just to name a few, and there are many more. I bought that console on launch day, and even though I own many consoles, it is highly regarded as a great platform for gaming. Sure it had some unnecessary add-on's like the expansion pack, but you could make the same argument for the genesis.
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

Top 25 Consoles VOZLn

Rep26

Post by Auflodern July 27th 2010, 6:32 pm

Yioibon wrote:How are you going to hate on the n64? Once you get used to it's controller it is actually quite decent. N64 had alot of good games, jet force gemini, the wcw and wwf games, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Hybrid heaven, Donkey Kong 64, Star Fox 64, Bomberman Hero, just to name a few, and there are many more. I bought that console on launch day, and even though I own many consoles, it is highly regarded as a great platform for gaming. Sure it had some unnecessary add-on's like the expansion pack, but you could make the same argument for the genesis.

I'm searching for quantity and quality in my games and frankly the PS1 had both of those down to the letter.
    Yioibon
    Yioibon

Rep3

Post by Yioibon July 27th 2010, 8:12 pm

Auflodern wrote:
    Yioibon wrote:How are you going to hate on the n64? Once you get used to it's controller it is actually quite decent. N64 had alot of good games, jet force gemini, the wcw and wwf games, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Hybrid heaven, Donkey Kong 64, Star Fox 64, Bomberman Hero, just to name a few, and there are many more. I bought that console on launch day, and even though I own many consoles, it is highly regarded as a great platform for gaming. Sure it had some unnecessary add-on's like the expansion pack, but you could make the same argument for the genesis.

I'm searching for quantity and quality in my games and frankly the PS1 had both of those down to the letter.
    Not exactly. The N64 has more hidden gems than you think. I also am a big fan of the ps1. But, it's quality over quantity. IF you have more quantity then there's more room for shovel-ware.
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

Top 25 Consoles VOZLn

Rep26

Post by Auflodern July 27th 2010, 9:25 pm

Yioibon wrote:
    Auflodern wrote:

Not exactly. The N64 has more hidden gems than you think. I also am a big fan of the ps1. But, it's quality over quantity. IF you have more quantity then there's more room for shovel-ware.

Yes I agree.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content