SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Your Video Game Experiences  VOZLn

Your Video Game Experiences  Medalw11Your Video Game Experiences  Medal13

: Male
     Rep12

Your Video Game Experiences  Empty Your Video Game Experiences

Post by SonicFanPS2 February 4th 2012, 12:14 am

I was thinking that we could share our video game experiences. What you thought of in games, some great moments in games, what you felt in games...I remembered Destructoid's "The Memory Card", where Chad Concelmo talks about memorable moments in gaming. It's pretty cool, and I would recommend that you check it out:

http://www.destructoid.com/the-memory-card-01-the-return-of-baby-metroid-31238.phtml

That's the first memory card. And there's a lot. And by "a lot", I mean 100. Enjoy! :D

One of my video game experiences had to do with Naughty Dog's most recent title, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception.

Your Video Game Experiences  Uncharted-3-Drakes-Deception
    Lookin' smooth, there, guy.

Anyways...

WARNING: SPOILER-IFIC! If you don't want to read, GO BACK RIGHT AWAY!

First of all, I'd like to say that the game was fun. The story was off at least once, though, and I don't think it was as good as Uncharted 2's. The movement felt much more loose(a good way, as 2 felt more stiff). Overall, it was fun. Compared to its predecessor, I felt like it stood on even ground, as it was better than 2 at points, equal to 2 at points, and worse than 2 at points.

*Note: Unfortunately, I encountered a glitch in Chapter 19 where an event was supposed to happen, but never happened. The whole area got really glitched. I'm not sure what really happened, and it hasn't happened since. On the Naughty Dog blog(hey, that rhymed!), the patches they posted haven't listed such an issue fixed.

Anyway, what I was really trying to talk about was a moment in the game that is done again later, with a brilliant twist.

I'm going to try to spoil as little as possible(which might be hard).

So, in Uncharted 3, there is a flashback to Nathan Drake's childhood, in Cartagena, Columbia.

Your Video Game Experiences  Uncharted-3-babydrake
    Nathan Drake, at the age of...15, I believe(he was 31 in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, 33 in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, and 35 in Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, if I remember correctly).

Anyway, so 'Lil Drake gets into some hijinks (Oh, that crazy Drake! What will he do next?) and ends up running away from men in black (Will Smith was not one of them) trying to capture him.

At the very end, 'Lil Drake gets into a rather nasty situation. The rooftop chase (in short, he jumps a lot of roofs and runs through houses to reach other roofs) that he had been having with the men in black finally comes to an end...One of the men in black try to get him, but he manages to push the man in black off the roof(and the man in black drops his gun in the process). On the same rooftop, Drake finds that he can't jump onto any other roofs. He's reached a dead end.

Your Video Game Experiences  24zcd8y

Then, one of the men in black corner Drake. Drake, panicking, picks up the gun that fell before, and points it at the man. The man points his gun at Drake.

Your Video Game Experiences  2vxhhq9

Drake is afraid. He slowly backs away, while keeping his gun aimed at the man. However, he trips backward. He keeps the gun aimed at the man. He quakes in fear.

The man, still having his gun aimed at Drake, tells him, "Just...close your eyes. This won't hurt a bit."

It's now or never. Will he kill or be killed? He closes his eyes, his hand shaking wildly. Is he about to shoot? Or is he too afraid?

Your Video Game Experiences  T7l6y0

A shot is fired.

But not from Drake's gun. A younger Sully shoots the man from behind, saving Drake's life. Sully walks toward Drake, who aims his gun at Sully. But Sully easily picks Nathan up, and we see that Drake is still scared, still shaken up. Sully pulls the gun out of Drake's hand without any resistance, and says, "You're okay, kid."

Now, we're forced to wonder; would Drake really have shot the man? Would you have shot him?

Of course, you aren't given the choice. This all takes place in a cutscene.

---

Later in the game, at the fabled Atlantis of the Sands, Drake finds Sully shot in the chest by the antagonists of the game (Katherine Marlowe and her sidekick/partner in crime, Talbot).

"No...please...Sully..." Drake says.

Your Video Game Experiences  112bb87

He sees Marlowe and Talbot on a platform below. He runs after them, with look of anger on his face. He fights some crazy fire monsters in the process. Of course, Nathan Drake dispatches them with ease(or in my case, much difficulty...on easy mode).

He finds Talbot, and runs after him. However, he reaches a dead end. But when he turns around...he's back in Cartagena, oddly. "I haven't been here since I was a kid," he says.

While in Cartagena, he suddenly finds waves of deadly spiders(who have appeared in his travels before) after him. He runs immediately.

Eventually he passes through some doors, and appears 15 again(or at least, to us he does). He's back on the same rooftops where he ran away from the men in black. Except this time, he's running away from spiders.

Eventually, he gets to the dead end he had reached before. He is attacked by a man in black, and like last time, throws him off the roof, the gun dropping again. And he is cornered. Except this time, by Sully, with a gun in his hand.

"No, no, no, no!" 'Lil Drake says.

Drake picks up the fallen gun. He aims it at Sully, who is aiming his own gun at Drake. He walks backward, but trips again. He keeps the gun aimed at Sully.

This isn't like before. You are faced with the choice of shooting the man who has been your mentor and friend for 20 years. This time, there isn't anyone to save you.

Now, it is your turn.

Your Video Game Experiences  2hn8eie

Will you shoot? Or will you get shot?

-----

This moment in the game is brilliant, even if what happens afterward is a bit disappointing(SPOILERS: It was all a hallucination). It bears such heavy emotional weight to it, and the way that it's handled is incredible. I love it, and I love the developers for doing such a thing. This was definitely one of the genius moments that the game had, that put it on a cinematic, and maybe even a storytelling level higher than Uncharted 2's.

-----

So, that's one of my video game experiences. Do you guys have any video game experiences to tell?

Sources:
    IGN's Uncharted Walkthrough:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFAC438231D0B5901
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH0SOL454E0&feature=BFa&list=SPFAC438231D0B5901&lf=list_related
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSmbBzjU8ec&feature=BFa&list=SPFAC438231D0B5901&lf=list_related
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08HFkAewRw&feature=BFa&list=SPFAC438231D0B5901&lf=list_related
    Bitmob.com:
    http://bitmob.com/articles/is-nathan-drake-south-american
    emgn.com:
    http://emgn.com/tag/uncharted-3/
    Phantom
    Phantom

Your Video Game Experiences  VOZLn

Your Video Game Experiences  Medal13

: Male
     Rep11

Your Video Game Experiences  Empty Re: Your Video Game Experiences

Post by Phantom February 4th 2012, 2:27 am

The Good:
    -Finally beating Sonic 3 & Knuckles as all the characters and with all the Chaos Emeralds each, unlocking good ending after good ending.
    -Defeating my arch-rival in a game of Mario Kart 64 at a party and finally making him shut up.
    -Reading a gaming magazine one rainy day at school, and someone is reading over my shoulder, then eventually we start talking games and we forge a friendship.
    -A Halo LAN party at college, which took up two rooms. My team was shellacked something fierce, but it was still fun.
    -Winning a small Sonic plush on a keychain from an arcade prize game at a movie theater after dumping at least three dollars' worth of quarters into it.

The Bad:
    -Dealing with PS2 fanboys in high school, being the only Dreamcast player around. It didn't get any better after the Dreamcast was discontinued.
    -While playing a lightgun arcade game, someone pickpocketed several dollars worth of tokens from me.
    -While playing L.A. Noire, my folks keep commenting over my shoulder that the acting is as bad as a 1-star movie.
    -Playing the first Spider-Man movie game. I loved Spider-Man on the Dreamcast, but this game completely removed the fun. I kept getting hammered by bosses even though I don't even think they attacked at all.