23 posters

Cheating in games

PandahFish
    PandahFish

Cheating in games WFmvl

Rep0

Cheating in games Empty Cheating in games

Post by PandahFish August 17th 2012, 12:38 am

Whats your opinion on cheating in games? Do you cheat?

I used to have a Action Reply and I would use that to cheat on my games. It was fun getting some things they didn't offer you through normal game play and some which were impossible to get unless you cheated. But over time I've learned that cheating takes the fun out of the game. You don't get the satisfaction you get when you legitly completed a game.

Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

Cheating in games 56qtD

Cheating in games Medalw11Cheating in games Medal13

: Male
     Rep16

Cheating in games Empty Re: Cheating in games

Post by Super Racer Z August 17th 2012, 12:53 am

I usually don't cheat in a game unless I've 100%-ed it. After that though, they can be fun to play around with. I definitely like having the option to use cheats after you've completed the game to extend the replayability and let you screw around a little.
    *ShiningStar*
    *ShiningStar*

Cheating in games VOZLn

Cheating in games Medal13

: Female
     Rep10

Post by *ShiningStar* August 17th 2012, 12:53 am

I don't really like cheating in games because then I don't feel like I really earned whatever I got. And plus, there is always the risk of ruining the game by crashing it, or by corrupting your game file. And I don't want to risk that. Although, cheating/hacking can give you a lot of benefits, the risk heavily outweigh them.
    PandahFish
    PandahFish

Cheating in games WFmvl

Rep0

Post by PandahFish August 17th 2012, 1:03 am

I always save my game before inserting a cheat. Just to be safe.
    sykog
    sykog

Cheating in games Imagee10

Cheating in games Blackr10Cheating in games Medalw11Cheating in games Medalg10Cheating in games Zigzag10Cheating in games Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog August 17th 2012, 3:44 am

Nope, unless occasionally looking on GameFAQs counts.
    Pooka
    Pooka

Cheating in games Kz2PK

Rep1

Post by Pooka August 17th 2012, 8:58 am

I backup my saves first before doing a cheat. I don't save after doing a cheat either. But well yeah, I have an Action Replay for PS because Gameshark never saves its new codes to the memory card, and I have ARMax for PS2 plus some programs on my comp to convert codes to ARMax format. Though I rarely play with those devices nowadays, they enabled me to access hidden stuff.

Anybody played Spyro 3? Cheating lets you find a hidden portal that leads to an abandoned field that was meant to be a boss's. Boy... and it lets you fly to an unreachable island that had 3 one ups, and it was intended to hold a portal to another world before being scrapped from its place and moved.

Also in GTA San Andreas, you get to spawn like three vehicles that you're unable to get normally, unless you do the hard way of gathering them in their exclusive missions.

If you really dig into the secrets of a game, you should read about them in GameFAQs and use the devices if necessary, this brings into the game more replay value.

Other than that, I rarely cheated to beat a game. Its GTA VCS for PS2, it was my first GTA, but soon I mastered the world of GTA in general and was able to beat it for 100% without cheating.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Cheating in games Blackr10Cheating in games Medalw11Cheating in games Zigzag10Cheating in games White10Cheating in games Medal13Cheating in games Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic August 17th 2012, 10:58 am

*ShiningStar* wrote:I don't really like cheating in games because then I don't feel like I really earned whatever I got. And plus, there is always the risk of ruining the game by crashing it, or by corrupting your game file. And I don't want to risk that. Although, cheating/hacking can give you a lot of benefits, the risk heavily outweigh them.
    You know that happens in 1/100 right?
    SpeedyBlueDude
    SpeedyBlueDude

Cheating in games GOMM8

Rep4

Post by SpeedyBlueDude August 17th 2012, 5:04 pm

Cheating to get an unfair advantage in a competitive player against player game is horrible, and the person who does it can go to hell.

Cheating anywhere else is normally fine and I don't care.
    Light Dash
    Light Dash

Cheating in games GOMM8

Cheating in games Blackr10Cheating in games Medal13Cheating in games 2nio02t

Rep3

Post by Light Dash August 17th 2012, 7:39 pm

Because your world will be turned upside down with that one loss on your record.

I don't really care about cheating. Sometimes I cheat, sometimes I don't. I don't particularly care about cheating in multiplayer games as long as the game isn't infested with people cheating (which is never the case with games I've played).
    Erazor
    Erazor

Cheating in games Blackr10Cheating in games Medalw11Cheating in games Medalg10Cheating in games White10Cheating in games Medal13

Rep22

Post by Erazor August 18th 2012, 11:47 pm

I honestly wouldn't give half a damn about the GTA series if it didn't have cheats. It's funny because Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs son't need cheats to keep me entertained.

The same could be said for the old Spider-Man game on the PSX. Sure it's a fine game in it's own right, but I had more fun putting in the always awesome EEL NATS code so I could swing around the fairly large stages in whatever unlockable costume I wanted, or just fight whichever super villain I felt like.

I also enjoyed abusing the stage select code in Sonic 3 & Knuckles as a kid since I wasn't quite good enough to surpass Sandopolis at the time. Even though I could bypass that stage easily today, I'd still rather cheat my way to the Super Emeralds and watch the good ending without having to subject myself to the same four hours of game I've been through a billion times before.

I also cheated through The Conduit's final stage just because it was absolutely brutal. Speaking of The Conduit and cheating, just don't play online.... just don't.

And, of course, I'm also guilty of Action Replaying Pokemon. Although back in the good old days I played Red to 100% completion.

Although apart from those examples, I don't really cheat to proceed through a game. Especially since today's games are so pathetically easy I really don't even need to.
    Kuronoa
    Kuronoa

Cheating in games WFmvl

Rep0

Post by Kuronoa September 2nd 2012, 6:06 pm

Konami Code

I like cheat codes but usually prefer unlock characters or level select. I don't use Action Replay or Game Genie.
    Daniel the Hedgehog
    Daniel the Hedgehog

Cheating in games WFmvl

Rep2

Post by Daniel the Hedgehog September 3rd 2012, 1:52 pm

Erazor wrote:I honestly wouldn't give half a damn about the GTA series if it didn't have cheats. It's funny because Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs son't need cheats to keep me entertained.

The same could be said for the old Spider-Man game on the PSX. Sure it's a fine game in it's own right, but I had more fun putting in the always awesome EEL NATS code so I could swing around the fairly large stages in whatever unlockable costume I wanted, or just fight whichever super villain I felt like.

I also enjoyed abusing the stage select code in Sonic 3 & Knuckles as a kid since I wasn't quite good enough to surpass Sandopolis at the time. Even though I could bypass that stage easily today, I'd still rather cheat my way to the Super Emeralds and watch the good ending without having to subject myself to the same four hours of game I've been through a billion times before.

I also cheated through The Conduit's final stage just because it was absolutely brutal. Speaking of The Conduit and cheating, just don't play online.... just don't.

And, of course, I'm also guilty of Action Replaying Pokemon. Although back in the good old days I played Red to 100% completion.

Although apart from those examples, I don't really cheat to proceed through a game. Especially since today's games are so pathetically easy I really don't even need to.
    Yeah, I'm guilty of using Debug and the Level Select on S3&K as recently as a month ago, and I have used cheats on my Pokemon games as well. I borrowed my cousin's AR DSi to beat MD:EoS, and to get more Master Balls and other stuff on Platinum. Ended up killing my Platinum that way, and I gave it to him since he had been BEGGING for the bloody game for weeks, and guess what! It saved JUST FRICKEN' FINE FOR HIM, DESPITE THE FACT THAT IT WOULDN'T SAVE FOR ME! This is what people rage over. ANYWAY, he lost the cartridge in two weeks time.

Anyway... uh... waffles?
    Duck King
    Duck King

Cheating in games 3qll2

Rep1

Post by Duck King September 3rd 2012, 3:38 pm

I've never used an ActionReplay or a Gameshark before. I honestly don't mind people using them, unless it's for competitive use (Pokemon). I hate that.
    Nuva
    Nuva

Cheating in games Medalw11Cheating in games Medal13

Rep20

Post by Nuva September 11th 2012, 12:13 am

I don't like cheating, it removes the feeling of accomplishment, until after the game has been cleared. Then it's time to have fun, haha.

Cheating in games VOZLn

Cheating in games Blackr10Cheating in games Medal13Cheating in games Medalw11

Rep33

Post by 84 September 11th 2012, 12:26 am

That pretty much sums it up.
    CerberusG
    CerberusG

Cheating in games WFmvl

Rep0

Post by CerberusG September 13th 2012, 11:16 am

PandahFish wrote:Whats your opinion on cheating in games? Do you cheat?

I used to have a Action Reply and I would use that to cheat on my games. It was fun getting some things they didn't offer you through normal game play and some which were impossible to get unless you cheated. But over time I've learned that cheating takes the fun out of the game. You don't get the satisfaction you get when you legitly completed a game.

In my opinion, cheating can be fun if you've already accomplished everything legitimately. add a little spice. change some graphics...just play around with mods and cheats. all fun
    II2none
    II2none

Cheating in games WFmvl

Rep1

Post by II2none September 13th 2012, 2:25 pm

It depends cheating on a SINGLE PLAYER game is fine because thats how YOU choose to play the game.

Cheating in a competitive match is just for losers and doesn't do anything except reveal your lack of skills. Keep the cheats off my Left 4 dead 2, COD mw2, and Halo 3 and we won't have a problem.
    Pooka
    Pooka

Cheating in games Kz2PK

Rep1

Post by Pooka September 13th 2012, 2:57 pm

Also cheating in multiplayer can get you banned, don't try this at home.

Other than that, still... There is an Action Replay code that will let me access a removed level, the hardest level in the whole Crash Bandicoot. A harder version of "Slippery Climb," which is already the hardest level in the full edition. Cheating can give you goodies!
    NoWay?NoWay!
    NoWay?NoWay!

Cheating in games WFmvl

: Female
     Rep0

Post by NoWay?NoWay! September 13th 2012, 4:58 pm

I never use cheats to skip a level or an entire portion of a level. I do find debug and Game Genie interesting to use but only to experiment with, such as getting to Hidden Palace in Sonic 2, but never to complete the game, it wouldn't be fun.
    awesomesaucexp
    awesomesaucexp

Cheating in games WFmvl

Rep0

Post by awesomesaucexp September 13th 2012, 11:07 pm

I'm with most folks here. Cheating in a multiplayer game is just a jerk move, but in single player I personally like doing it to mess with the game AFTER I've beaten it. I learned my lesson after I ruined my Ocarina of Time save midway through the game just to get all the items in the game and advance to the end. I don't know why I did it. I got Gameshark crazy, I suppose.

Prior to that I had used debug mode and junk to mess with older games. After this, I felt really unfulfilled and it ruined the experience for me, for a while. I'm a big believer in pushing through and beating the game without help. It adds to the feeling of mystery and exploration.
    Kalaborative
    Kalaborative

Cheating in games WFmvl

Rep0

Post by Kalaborative October 11th 2012, 12:45 pm

I got a new Action Replay about a few months ago. Personally I don't really care about cheating since either way you finish the game. I just cheat if i feel there's no other way to get past something or I just get bored or I finish the game and want to have fun with it. :)
    EpicHelixGamer101
    EpicHelixGamer101

Cheating in games WFmvl

Rep0

Post by EpicHelixGamer101 October 25th 2012, 4:14 pm

I usually cheat on Sonic 3 and Knuckles so i can get unlimited rings and be Hyper Sonic forever cuz IT EPIC! lulzfaec but there are other games i cheat on...like Fusion Fall...except i forgot how to cheat on that one. Facepalm
    DW_
    DW_

Cheating in games WFmvl

Rep0

Post by DW_ October 25th 2012, 4:17 pm

After beating Tony Hawk's Underground 30 times on Sick difficulty, I did a cheat run. Flying around Hawaii was fun as Hell.
    Kamagawa
    Kamagawa

Cheating in games WFmvl

Rep0

Post by Kamagawa November 28th 2012, 4:50 pm

I only cheat when I have finished the game.
    There are of course a few exceptions.

For example, I used the cheat too allow me to carry unlimited stuff in skyrim because the weight mechanic got really annoying and i couldn't get a house or sell stuff for a decent amount of money (I don't sell an Item worth 500 gold for 10 bucks).
    Schnickelfritz
    Schnickelfritz

Cheating in games White10Cheating in games Medalg10Cheating in games Medal13Cheating in games Medalw11

Rep34

Post by Schnickelfritz November 28th 2012, 8:45 pm

The weight mechanic is there to get inspire you to get a follower, level up your stamina, and be more careful with what you pick up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content