The ancient lands.

5 posters

Adventures HYPED??

Baku
    Baku

Adventures HYPED?? 3qll2

Rep0

Adventures HYPED?? Empty Adventures HYPED??

Post by Baku April 16th 2009, 6:56 am

Methinks so. OK, I'm not saying Sonic Adventure was better than the other games, even though it is, but I'm typing about the anticipation for it prior to its release. Sonic 1 got its success after its release since it was the debut game and it is hard for debut games to get a huge anticipation and all. Sonic CD pretty much got its success after its release but it was releas'd on the SEGA CD which didn't do too good on the market. Sonic 2 & Sonic 3 & Knuckles were hyped a lot, yeah, but were either of them a MEGA-hyped launch title on MEGA-hyped system and got a HUGE event just for the single game? I don't think so.

But Sonic Adventure did.

I think we can all agree on that. No fanboyism intended, but just think about it. Sonic Adventure is the game that got the most stuff prior to its release. And it was even more grandma when it came out. It was a launch title for a SPOCIOUSly hyped system, the SEGA Dreamcast (BEST CONSOLE EVER) and even had events just for the game. So yeah, Sonic Adventure was the most eventful anticipation for a Sonic game.
    Phantom
    Phantom

Adventures HYPED?? VOZLn

Adventures HYPED?? Medal13

: Male
     Rep11

Adventures HYPED?? Empty Re: Adventures HYPED??

Post by Phantom April 16th 2009, 7:08 pm

What I consider "hype" would be billboards on every corner reaching as far as the eye can see, endless adverts on TV and in movie theaters, endless amounts of merch in stores, and maybe a good launch party in a major city with celebrities and Sonic-costumed characters (for which I'm still on the hunt), all in the name of claiming that your product is the end-all-be-all of the industry.

I'm not too sure if Sonic Adventure did garner that much hype--Stateside, anyway--back in the day, but I was certainly pumped for it, no doubt. I didn't see that many commercials for the game, virtually no printed adverts, and I'm rather sure that the action figures started coming out months after the game's release (the ReSaurus figures).

As for hype in general, my idea is that hype gets too out of hand when I can't tell what's the origin point of the hype (is it about a movie? A book series? Action figures? Where did it all begin?). For everything else, I try to cut through the mist of hype to find the real thing that's been made, that movie or game that people have sweated over its creation, and figure out whether that finished piece, disregarding the entire media circus act surrounding it, is worth my time.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Adventures HYPED?? VOZLn

Adventures HYPED?? Blackr10Adventures HYPED?? Medalw11Adventures HYPED?? Medalg10Adventures HYPED?? White10Adventures HYPED?? Medal13

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 18th 2009, 12:49 am

Hype or not I found it considerably overrated. Even though I enjoyed playing DX a lot.

When people think of SA they usually think of the Sonic or Tails stages and not the Slow Amy, Cluster-fudged fishing with Big, Shooting with Gamma (which was fun), and National Treasure starring Knuckles stages.

Then they turn around and complain about one side gameplay like the werehog.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Adventures HYPED?? ZtZYh

Adventures HYPED?? Blackr10Adventures HYPED?? Medalw11Adventures HYPED?? Zigzag10Adventures HYPED?? White10Adventures HYPED?? Medal13Adventures HYPED?? 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter April 18th 2009, 10:34 am

Well, werehog was forced, the others in SADX weren't. That's why SA2B has been declining in favoritism.
    And of course I loved everything about SADX, but unfortunately that's just my opinion, which few share.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Adventures HYPED?? VOZLn

Adventures HYPED?? Blackr10Adventures HYPED?? Medalw11Adventures HYPED?? Medalg10Adventures HYPED?? White10Adventures HYPED?? Medal13

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 18th 2009, 12:22 pm

The Freedom Fighter wrote:Well, werehog was forced, the others in SADX weren't. That's why SA2B has been declining in favoritism.
    And of course I loved everything about SADX, but unfortunately that's just my opinion, which few share.

What do you mean the others in DX weren't forced? You needed to beat them to complete the game just like the werehog.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Adventures HYPED?? Imagee10

Adventures HYPED?? Blackr10Adventures HYPED?? Medalw11Adventures HYPED?? Zigzag10Adventures HYPED?? White10Adventures HYPED?? Medal13Adventures HYPED?? Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic April 18th 2009, 12:23 pm

Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:
    The Freedom Fighter wrote:Well, werehog was forced, the others in SADX weren't. That's why SA2B has been declining in favoritism.

What do you mean the others in DX weren't forced? You needed to beat them to complete the game just like the werehog.
    When you can decide WHEN to play them and what order
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Adventures HYPED?? VOZLn

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 18th 2009, 12:35 pm

TalkingObject wrote:
    Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:

So what? You still HAD to play them.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Adventures HYPED?? Blackr10Adventures HYPED?? Medalw11Adventures HYPED?? Zigzag10Adventures HYPED?? White10Adventures HYPED?? Medal13Adventures HYPED?? Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic April 18th 2009, 12:52 pm

Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:
    TalkingObject wrote:
    Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:

If you want Super Sonic that is
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic April 18th 2009, 12:54 pm

CoolerThanYou68 wrote:
    TalkingObject wrote:
    Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:
    TalkingObject wrote:
    Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:

No if you want to beat the game. What are you retarded.
    No and you don't need to beat all of the game to be satisfied
    Anonymous

Post by Guest April 18th 2009, 12:56 pm

TalkingObject wrote:
    CoolerThanYou68 wrote:
    TalkingObject wrote:
    Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:
    TalkingObject wrote:
    Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:

No if you want to beat the game. What are you retarded.
    No and you don't need to beat all of the game to be satisfied

Well if you're a little kid than yeah you don't have to, but everyone likes to say they beat the whole thing.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Adventures HYPED?? ZtZYh

Adventures HYPED?? Blackr10Adventures HYPED?? Medalw11Adventures HYPED?? Zigzag10Adventures HYPED?? White10Adventures HYPED?? Medal13Adventures HYPED?? 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter April 18th 2009, 12:59 pm

Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:

If you wanted to. If you just wanted to play as Sonic, then you could. Sure, you wouldn't beat the game, but you'd be able to play as Sonic at least.
    While with SA2B and SU, you have to play the other modes that people act allergic to in order to get to play all the Sonic stuff.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Adventures HYPED?? VOZLn

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 18th 2009, 1:06 pm

The Freedom Fighter wrote:
    Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:

If you wanted to. If you just wanted to play as Sonic, then you could. Sure, you wouldn't beat the game, but you'd be able to play as Sonic at least.
    While with SA2B and SU, you have to play the other modes that people act allergic to in order to get to play all the Sonic stuff.

So, it doesn't count as forced because you get to play as all the Sonic stuff then? The reasoning here seems almost nonexistant. It's pretty much the same thing.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest April 18th 2009, 1:09 pm

I said it once I'll say it again.

CoolerThanYou68 wrote:Crystal Chaotix 3 you're awesome.....perhaps the most awesome one here.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Adventures HYPED?? VOZLn

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 18th 2009, 1:19 pm

CoolerThanYou68 wrote:I said it once I'll say it again.

CoolerThanYou68 wrote:Crystal Chaotix 3 you're awesome.....perhaps the most awesome one here.

Well, thank you! You're awesome too. :Sonic Thumb:
    Anonymous

Post by Guest April 18th 2009, 1:22 pm

Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:
    CoolerThanYou68 wrote:I said it once I'll say it again.

Well, thank you! You're awesome too. :Sonic Thumb:

No prob, I have an eye for pointing out the awesome ones.
    Phantom
    Phantom

Adventures HYPED?? VOZLn

Adventures HYPED?? Medal13

Rep11

Post by Phantom April 18th 2009, 2:31 pm

I understand what Freedom Fighter is talking about: in SA1, you can choose at will which mode of gameplay you want, the running, shooting, scavenging or fishing. It isn't mandatory, but if you do want the ending with all the closure, then it's encouraged to beat all of the campaigns. You can still get all the Sonic action and ignore Big's campaign altogether.

SA2 and SU are different in that the alternate gameplay modes are mandatory to complete the game, and they can not be skipped or ignored. Although I can understand the decision to mix up the gameplay and have several game modes in one package, I believe in giving the player some degree of choice, as well as separating gameplay modes that are way too different from one another for consistency's sake.

I do not intend to discredit Crystal Chaotix 3, after all, one may feel compelled to play through all of the game for all it's worth and the final ending is compelling enough to attain such that every other campaign is worth playing, but in the end when given a choice as to how to play, everyone plays a different way and prefers one mode over another. I will always prefer SU's Day stages, though Night gameplay is fun--but I would rather have a choice for all-Day or all-Night rather than play through one kind of mode and switch my entire paradigm to prepare for the other mode that can not be skipped.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Adventures HYPED?? VOZLn

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 18th 2009, 3:34 pm

Phantom wrote:I understand what Freedom Fighter is talking about: in SA1, you can choose at will which mode of gameplay you want, the running, shooting, scavenging or fishing. It isn't mandatory, but if you do want the ending with all the closure, then it's encouraged to beat all of the campaigns. You can still get all the Sonic action and ignore Big's campaign altogether.

SA2 and SU are different in that the alternate gameplay modes are mandatory to complete the game, and they can not be skipped or ignored. Although I can understand the decision to mix up the gameplay and have several game modes in one package, I believe in giving the player some degree of choice, as well as separating gameplay modes that are way too different from one another for consistency's sake.

I do not intend to discredit Crystal Chaotix 3, after all, one may feel compelled to play through all of the game for all it's worth and the final ending is compelling enough to attain such that every other campaign is worth playing, but in the end when given a choice as to how to play, everyone plays a different way and prefers one mode over another. I will always prefer SU's Day stages, though Night gameplay is fun--but I would rather have a choice for all-Day or all-Night rather than play through one kind of mode and switch my entire paradigm to prepare for the other mode that can not be skipped.

I understand what he's trying to say too but it's really no different in the long run. It doesn't matter if you get to choose which one you want to do first (which really isn't all that true since you need to go through Sonic's story to unlock everyone first). You NEED to do all of it if you wish to beat the game. That's how it forces you to play them.

What you guys are talking about isn't what I'm talking about myself. And it certainly isn't an explaination to why all these gameplay types are being minded in SA if they're needed to beat the game.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Adventures HYPED?? ZtZYh

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter April 19th 2009, 10:58 am

Hey, I don't really get it either, but that's what I see. And pretty much everyone beats the games anyway, so yeah.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Adventures HYPED?? VOZLn

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 19th 2009, 5:41 pm

No one understands the fans. Sega should stop trying to themselves and go back to doing things their own way.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest April 19th 2009, 6:21 pm

Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:No one understands the fans. Sega should stop trying to themselves and go back to doing things their own way.

Those words are coming straight from Dr.Eggman himself.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Adventures HYPED?? VOZLn

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 19th 2009, 6:22 pm

CoolerThanYou68 wrote:
    Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:No one understands the fans. Sega should stop trying to themselves and go back to doing things their own way.

Those words are coming straight from Dr.Eggman himself.

Eggman was here. :Robo:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content