sykog
Erazor
Zez
10 posters

Public Moderator Policy?

Zez
    Zez

Public Moderator Policy? VOZLn

Public Moderator Policy? Blackr10Public Moderator Policy? Medalw11Public Moderator Policy? Zigzag10Public Moderator Policy? Medal13

: Male
     Rep24

Public Moderator Policy? Empty Public Moderator Policy?

Post by Zez April 26th 2010, 10:51 pm

Should there be a publicly available set of guidelines and standards that moderators are to abide by when enforcing the rules, so users can understand the guidebook they go by, and can avoid any altercation that may arise from this? I can understand that there are already basic forum rules, however, there are no real sets of standards in what degree or extent to enforce said laws. However, if one is so inclined to, and these guidelines are agreed to be made, they could be written along with the existing rules. What say you?
    Erazor
    Erazor

Public Moderator Policy? Imagee10

Public Moderator Policy? Blackr10Public Moderator Policy? Medalw11Public Moderator Policy? Medalg10Public Moderator Policy? White10Public Moderator Policy? Medal13

Rep22

Public Moderator Policy? Empty Re: Public Moderator Policy?

Post by Erazor April 26th 2010, 11:06 pm

What does it matter? YCP has public guidelines and the mods never follow them. If you call them out on it you get a strike. I doubt it would work any better here.
    sykog
    sykog

Public Moderator Policy? Blackr10Public Moderator Policy? Medalw11Public Moderator Policy? Medalg10Public Moderator Policy? Zigzag10Public Moderator Policy? Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog April 27th 2010, 5:47 pm

No, guidelines for mods won't work well. Just do what's right for each circumstance.
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Public Moderator Policy? Medalw11Public Moderator Policy? Medal13

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 April 27th 2010, 5:50 pm

Can you make a chat mod book? In some circumstances I'm not sure what I should do.
    sykog
    sykog

Public Moderator Policy? Blackr10Public Moderator Policy? Medalw11Public Moderator Policy? Medalg10Public Moderator Policy? Zigzag10Public Moderator Policy? Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog April 27th 2010, 5:55 pm

SonicFanPS2 wrote:Can you make a chat mod book? In some circumstances I'm not sure what I should do.
    Just clear to chat what it lags, and that's about it.
    Roterblitz
    Roterblitz

Public Moderator Policy? Blackr10Public Moderator Policy? Medalw11Public Moderator Policy? Medalg10Public Moderator Policy? White10Public Moderator Policy? Medal13

Rep6

Post by Roterblitz April 27th 2010, 10:49 pm

Absolutely. People are going to question moderators no matter what, it would be nice if we could answer any invalid complaints with a simple "read the rules".
    Shade
    Shade

Public Moderator Policy? Medalw11Public Moderator Policy? Zigzag10Public Moderator Policy? Medal13

Rep2

Post by Shade April 29th 2010, 3:52 pm

I think that is a good idea, Zezima. It gives a sort of policy on how the moderators should operate, so that it is easier to place faith in the system.
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix April 29th 2010, 10:14 pm

Zezima wrote:Should there be a publicly available set of guidelines and standards that moderators are to abide by when enforcing the rules, so users can understand the guidebook they go by, and can avoid any altercation that may arise from this? I can understand that there are already basic forum rules, however, there are no real sets of standards in what degree or extent to enforce said laws. However, if one is so inclined to, and these guidelines are agreed to be made, they could be written along with the existing rules. What say you?

At first I was against it, as its pretty self explanatory, but now I do kinda see why some would want one. I can type a quick mod handbook up if you want.
    Zez
    Zez

Public Moderator Policy? Blackr10Public Moderator Policy? Medalw11Public Moderator Policy? Zigzag10Public Moderator Policy? Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez April 29th 2010, 10:26 pm

SupaSEGA wrote:
    Zezima wrote:Should there be a publicly available set of guidelines and standards that moderators are to abide by when enforcing the rules, so users can understand the guidebook they go by, and can avoid any altercation that may arise from this? I can understand that there are already basic forum rules, however, there are no real sets of standards in what degree or extent to enforce said laws. However, if one is so inclined to, and these guidelines are agreed to be made, they could be written along with the existing rules. What say you?

At first I was against it, as its pretty self explanatory, but now I do kinda see why some would want one. I can type a quick mod handbook up if you want.

That'd be appreciated.
    Miles24
    Miles24

Public Moderator Policy? Blackr10Public Moderator Policy? Medalw11Public Moderator Policy? White10Public Moderator Policy? Medal13Public Moderator Policy? 2nio02t

Rep2

Post by Miles24 April 29th 2010, 10:55 pm

I have to agree with sykog and Erazor. Although it may be good to have, it can very easily act as a double-edged sword and become a disadvantage for the staff. For example, if there is an item within a user's post that the staff member feels that it should not be in the site, but does not break these rules, then they may not be able to do the such without a possible conflict with the other member.
    Mario94
    Mario94

Public Moderator Policy? 3qll2

Rep4

Post by Mario94 April 30th 2010, 10:35 am

Miles24 wrote:I have to agree with sykog and Erazor. Although it may be good to have, it can very easily act as a double-edged sword and become a disadvantage for the staff. For example, if there is an item within a user's post that the staff member feels that it should not be in the site, but does not break these rules, then they may not be able to do the such without a possible conflict with the other member.

That's when the moderator takes up the matter with the rest of the staff before taking action or not. There are unwritten rules that govern our site as well, and if a mod feels he/she should take action on the grounds of these unwritten rules, he/she should first get approval from the rest of the staff. If the member complains, then the staff can explain. There will be gray areas in this, and when they do come up, then the staff can discuss and come into agreement.
    Gamma The Great
    Gamma The Great

Public Moderator Policy? Medalw11Public Moderator Policy? Medalg10Public Moderator Policy? Zigzag10Public Moderator Policy? Medal13

Rep2

Post by Gamma The Great May 1st 2010, 2:47 pm

Mario wins.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content