Hayzer
    Hayzer

The Zelda Timeline 3qll2

The Zelda Timeline White10

: Male
     Rep0

The Zelda Timeline Empty The Zelda Timeline

Post by Hayzer July 27th 2010, 1:27 pm

The ageless debate on how the Zelda games fit together. The first a timeline was introduced was back when The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was released. This game was set to take place before the originals. It only got more convulted from there.

Disclaimer: If you don't want to read all of the quotes, skip to the bottom of the post.

Here I will data log all of the Timeline relevant Word of God quotes that are canon above all else.

The First Five Games:
    This was the first Timeline quote recorded. It was by Miyamoto himself:
    "Ocarina of Time is the first story, then the original Legend of Zelda, then Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and finally A Link to the Past. It's not very clear where Link's Awakening fits in--it could be anytime after Ocarina of Time." --Shigeru Miyamoto, 1998

However, this was debunked in a 1999 interview where Miyamoto said:
    "The order is Ocarina of Time, Triforce of the Gods [A Link to the Past], then comes the first, and The Adventure of Link." --Shigeru Miyamoto, 1999

Four Swords Series:
    "The GBA Four Swords Zelda is what we’re thinking as the oldest tale in the Zelda timeline. With this one on the GameCube [(FSA)] being a sequel to that, and taking place sometime after that." --Eiji Aonuma, 2004

This was great. There was a solid concrete Word of God placement of the series. And yet, FSA seemed to contradict everything about it. Why, you ask? Let's find out:
    "In an example with Four Swords Adventures, I was the producer.. I didn’t actually put the story for that game together... Mr. Miyamoto then came in and upended the tea table... we changed the story around quite a bit... storyline shouldn’t be something complicated that confuses the player... and the storyline changed all the way up until the very end." --Eiji Aonuma, 2004

And then everything started to fall apart. It seemed like the original intent was for FSA to be a prequel to OoT, but then when Miyamoto changed everything around, it now seemed impossible. It made it even worse when Capcom took over the Four Swords Series with an interview about The Minish Cap:
    "We did not think to develop a trilogy from the beginning. When we developed the first Four Swords game for GBA, we created a new Hyrule legend that said that a long time ago, evil Vaati brought crisis to Hyrule and people sealed that evil. We had some thought that we wanted to carry over that story into future titles some way." --Hidemaro Fujibayashi (Capcom)

With the emphasis on the "new Hyrule," one begins to wonder if the FSS takes place in a separate universe, or a different timeline, if you will. One begins to wonder if the series is even canon at all. That is up to the theorist.

Things Start To Get Better:
    With the release of the Wind Waker in 2003, we started getting the legit timeline foundation we have today. We also heard first word of the split timeline:
    "Q: Where does The Wind Waker fit into the overall Zelda series timeline?
    Aonuma: You can think of this game as taking place over a hundred years after Ocarina of Time. You can tell this from the opening story, and there are references to things from Ocarina located throughout the game as well.
    Miyamoto: Well, wait, which point does the hundred years start from?
    Aonuma: From the end.
    Miyamoto: No, I mean, as a child or as a...
    Aonuma: Oh, right, let me elaborate on that. Ocarina of Time basically has two endings of sorts; one has Link as a child and the other has him as an adult. This game, The Wind Waker, takes place a hundred years after the adult Link defeats Ganon at the end of Ocarina.
    Miyamoto: This is pretty confusing for us, too. (laughs) So be careful.
    " --2002

A simpler version was posted on the Zelda Homepage:
    "In terms of the storyline, we've decided that this takes place 100 years after the events in The Ocarina of Time. We think that as you play through the game, you'll notice that in the beginning the storyline explains some of the events in The Ocarina of Time. You'll also find hints of things from The Ocarina of Time that exist in The Wind Waker.
    There's also a more complicated explanation. If you think back to the end of The Ocarina of Time, there were two endings to that game in different time periods. First Link defeated Ganon as an adult, and then he actually went back to being a child. You could say that The Wind Waker takes place 100 years after the ending in which Link was an adult.
    "

Then with Twlight Princess in 2006 we even got a more solid confirmation of the split:
    "–When does Twilight Princess take place?
    Aonuma: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.
    –And the Wind Waker?
    Aonuma: The Wind Waker is parallel. In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link’s time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there's a scene showing Ganon's execution. It was decided that Ganon be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be. That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time. Ganon was sent to another world and now he wants to obtain the power...
    "

Modern Day:
    With the pending release of Skyward Sword upcoming, another interview confirmed not only a master timeline, but also the placement of SS:
    "Yes, there is a master timeline, but it is a confidential document!... The only people that have access to the document are myself, Mr. Miyamoto, and the director of the title. We can't share it with anyone else! I have already talked with Mr. Miyamoto about this so I am comfortable with releasing this information - this title takes place before Ocarina of Time. If I said a certain title was the 'first Zelda game' then that means we can't ever make a title that comes before that! So for us to be able to add titles to the series, we have to have a way of putting titles before and after each other." --Eiji Aonuma, 2010

So, after all of that mumbo jumbo out of the way, you can start theorizing to you're hearts' content.

Post your Zelda Timeline here, and let's have a good hearty debate.

Mine timeline is this:

----------/--TWW/PH--ST
    SS--OoT
    ----------\MM--TP--ALttP/LA--LoZ/TAoL--OoX

TMC--FS/FSA

For a picture version, go here: Hayzer's DA
    Shade
    Shade

The Zelda Timeline VOZLn

The Zelda Timeline Medalw11The Zelda Timeline Zigzag10The Zelda Timeline Medal13

Rep2

The Zelda Timeline Empty Re: The Zelda Timeline

Post by Shade August 7th 2010, 10:20 pm

Have you ever played "The Ocarina Of Time"? (I think it's called something like that). It's one of the classic Zelda games, and it's (in my experience) one of the best Zelda games created to date.
    Chaos_Overlord
    Chaos_Overlord

The Zelda Timeline VOZLn

The Zelda Timeline Medalw11The Zelda Timeline Medal13

Rep11

Post by Chaos_Overlord August 8th 2010, 7:46 pm

There is someone on youtube who has a theory that I agree with. There are 5 Parts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99W9yj86buo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZUlSATigko&feature=related
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH6CuVKCii8&feature=related
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4fQ4tjcgr8&feature=related
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgTn1H70bug&feature=related
    Jmh
    Jmh

The Zelda Timeline Imagee10

The Zelda Timeline Medalw11The Zelda Timeline White10The Zelda Timeline Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh August 12th 2010, 1:15 pm

Chaos_Overlord wrote:There is someone on youtube who has a theory that I agree with. There are 5 Parts.
    That's pretty legit if you ask me.

Also, the confidential official timeline bisuness is BS.
    Hayzer
    Hayzer

The Zelda Timeline 3qll2

The Zelda Timeline White10

Rep0

Post by Hayzer August 12th 2010, 3:06 pm

The Justice Striker wrote:
    Chaos_Overlord wrote:There is someone on youtube who has a theory that I agree with. There are 5 Parts.
    That's pretty legit if you ask me.

No it's not. Just this year, Aonuma confirmed that there's an offical "timeline document." Check the quotes, dude. It's there.

EDIT:

And about that video...right in the very beginning I could tell he was wrong...

LoZ's Hyrule isn't supposed to be ruined...There's nothing in the manual or game saying that Hyrule is in ruins. And in AoL (Zelda II) we find out that the urban part of Hylian society is to the West of where LoZ takes place, so it's irrelevant. He's speculating to his hearts content...which is bad.

And he doesn't even have ALttP and LoZ/AoL on the same timeline. That's a problem. We know for a fact that ALttP is a prequel to LoZ/AoL (check the quotes). The manual even says so. This guys tearing apart canon left and right. And since the Master Sword appears in ALttP, and considering that the Master Sword is at the bottom of the ocean on the AT (following WW), it pretty much proves that the original three Zelda's (LoZ, AoL, and ALttP) go on the CT.

I'll go over more of the video later...
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

The Zelda Timeline Blackr10The Zelda Timeline Medalw11The Zelda Timeline Zigzag10The Zelda Timeline White10The Zelda Timeline Medal13The Zelda Timeline Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic August 12th 2010, 5:27 pm

My views of Zelda timeline is:
    SS*Possible first Zelda where she is put on under a sleeping spell
    Oot
    MM----WW
    TP------PH
    AttLP--ST
    LA----MC
    Loz---4S
    AoL*When she is saved---4sA

For 4swords timeline
    MC
    4S
    4SA

I have no idea where the Oracles game go they don't tell if it's a new Link or a previous one

Last edited by NeoMetalSonic on August 12th 2010, 10:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
    Jmh
    Jmh

Rep67

Post by Jmh August 12th 2010, 7:08 pm

Hayzer wrote:
    The Justice Striker wrote:That's pretty legit if you ask me.

No it's not. Just this year, Aonuma confirmed that there's an offical "timeline document." Check the quotes, dude. It's there.

EDIT:

And about that video...right in the very beginning I could tell he was wrong...

LoZ's Hyrule isn't supposed to be ruined...There's nothing in the manual or game saying that Hyrule is in ruins. And in AoL (Zelda II) we find out that the urban part of Hylian society is to the West of where LoZ takes place, so it's irrelevant. He's speculating to his hearts content...which is bad.

And he doesn't even have ALttP and LoZ/AoL on the same timeline. That's a problem. We know for a fact that ALttP is a prequel to LoZ/AoL (check the quotes). The manual even says so. This guys tearing apart canon left and right. And since the Master Sword appears in ALttP, and considering that the Master Sword is at the bottom of the ocean on the AT (following WW), it pretty much proves that the original three Zelda's (LoZ, AoL, and ALttP) go on the CT.

I'll go over more of the video later...
    I see your points, but with all due respect the whole ALttP being a direct prequel to LoZ was a long time ago, and I'm sure that some things could have changed. Also Hayzer, The Master Sword isn't in LoZ and AoL (I'm sure you already knew that, seeing that you are a pretty good Zelda fan) So it's possible to take place in the AT. But I suppose it's also possible to take place in the CT. Then again, the lands are quite different in the first two games than the usual Hyrule, which might mean that Zelda 1 and 2 are in the new land that Link and Tetra found. Then again, it's probably just because they're earlier games in the series.

EDIT: Watch this part, he explains more about this situation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH6CuVKCii8&NR=1

Also regarding the official timeline I was more implying that it's BS they won't share it with us, not that I think it's a lie. But it's no big deal really.
    NeoMetalSonic wrote:My views of Zelda timeline is:
    SS
    Oot
    MM----WW
    TP------PH
    AttLP--ST
    LA
    Loz
    AoL

For 4swords timeline
    MM
    4S
    4SA

I have no idea where the Oracles game go they don't tell if it's a new Link or a previous one

The Oracle games are probably after ALttP. At first I believed that they were directly after TP, but then after watching more theories, I think it's more logical that they are like the bridge between ALttP, and LA.

And I'm also curios to know, Neo, do you believe in the split timeline? It looks like you do but I'm not too sure.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

The Zelda Timeline Blackr10The Zelda Timeline Medalw11The Zelda Timeline Zigzag10The Zelda Timeline White10The Zelda Timeline Medal13The Zelda Timeline Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic August 12th 2010, 10:48 pm

I thought it was confirm there is a split timeline by Nintendo
    Jmh
    Jmh

Rep67

Post by Jmh August 12th 2010, 10:50 pm

NeoMetalSonic wrote:I thought it was confirm there is a split timeline by Nintendo
    It pretty much was.

Some believe that it's a linear timeline. But I believe in the split.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

The Zelda Timeline ZtZYh

The Zelda Timeline Blackr10The Zelda Timeline Medalw11The Zelda Timeline Zigzag10The Zelda Timeline White10The Zelda Timeline Medal13The Zelda Timeline 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter September 4th 2010, 10:53 am

Hayzer wrote:Four Swords Series:
    "The GBA Four Swords Zelda is what we’re thinking as the oldest tale in the Zelda timeline. With this one on the GameCube [(FSA)] being a sequel to that, and taking place sometime after that." --Eiji Aonuma, 2004

This was great. There was a solid concrete Word of God placement of the series. And yet, FSA seemed to contradict everything about it. Why, you ask? Let's find out:
    "In an example with Four Swords Adventures, I was the producer.. I didn’t actually put the story for that game together... Mr. Miyamoto then came in and upended the tea table... we changed the story around quite a bit... storyline shouldn’t be something complicated that confuses the player... and the storyline changed all the way up until the very end." --Eiji Aonuma, 2004
    Wow..I had no idea Miyamoto actually warped the entire story. Gotta wonder how complicated it was to make Miyamoto go against it.
    Hayzer wrote:Then with Twlight Princess in 2006 we even got a more solid confirmation of the split:
    "–When does Twilight Princess take place?
    Aonuma: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.
    –And the Wind Waker?
    Aonuma: The Wind Waker is parallel. In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link’s time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there's a scene showing Ganon's execution. It was decided that Ganon be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be. That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time. Ganon was sent to another world and now he wants to obtain the power...
    "
    Wait...and people complain about Ganondorf coming out of nowhere in that game? Or was this after TP came out?
    Hayzer wrote:LoZ's Hyrule isn't supposed to be ruined...There's nothing in the manual or game saying that Hyrule is in ruins. And in AoL (Zelda II) we find out that the urban part of Hylian society is to the West of where LoZ takes place, so it's irrelevant. He's speculating to his hearts content...which is bad.
    Well, I don't know, he has a point. No people, no buildings, and the land crawling with enemies. Everyone lives to the West and the East is totally owned by Ganon it seems. It sure seems like he took over East Hyrule and everyone ran off to West Hyrule. And thus why it's devoid of all signs of life aside from gravestones.
    Hayzer wrote:And he doesn't even have ALttP and LoZ/AoL on the same timeline. That's a problem. We know for a fact that ALttP is a prequel to LoZ/AoL (check the quotes). The manual even says so. This guys tearing apart canon left and right. And since the Master Sword appears in ALttP, and considering that the Master Sword is at the bottom of the ocean on the AT (following WW), it pretty much proves that the original three Zelda's (LoZ, AoL, and ALttP) go on the CT.
    Well, to be fair, developers can be wrong, and manuals too. But that's not the point. The point is LOZ/AOL is likely to be AT since the towns of AOL. But...then you have the problem of ALTTP/LA. ALTTP has the Master Sword in the forest, which could be assumed to be the abandoned Temple of Time from TP, which would be on the CT. So ALTTP/LA wants to be CT, and LOZ/AOL wants to be AT, and yet both are supposed to be related. So I'm thinking either it goes ALTTP>LA>LOZ>AOL on the AT and they remake/find the MS, or the sages who aren't sages somehow become important to the Hylians. AT is more plausible, especially since if the MS was freed, it would give Ganon a means of return.
    Hayzer wrote:Mine timeline is this:

----------/--TWW/PH--ST
    SS--OoT
    ----------\MM--TP--ALttP/LA--LoZ/TAoL--OoX

TMC--FS/FSA

For a picture version, go here: Hayzer's DA
    So it should be TMC>FS/FSA>SS>OOT>ramble ramble, but Miyamoto transformed that, so it could be:
    --------------------/>TWW/PH>ST>FS/FSA>ALTTP/LA>LOZ/AOL/OOS/OOA
    TMC>SS>OOT>
    --------------------\MM>TP

Last edited by The Freedom Fighter on September 4th 2010, 4:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Jmh
    Jmh

Rep67

Post by Jmh September 4th 2010, 11:57 am

http://zeldatimeline.com/

What do you think? :mrgreen:
    Shade
    Shade

The Zelda Timeline VOZLn

The Zelda Timeline Medalw11The Zelda Timeline Zigzag10The Zelda Timeline Medal13

Rep2

Post by Shade September 4th 2010, 12:58 pm

Jmh wrote:http://zeldatimeline.com/

What do you think? :mrgreen:

It's very helpful (in deciding the order in which the events happened), and the font's good, but I think it's a little difficult to read and interpret.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content