[Suggestion] Suggestions

Plix
    Plix

[Suggestion] Suggestions VOZLn

: Male
     Rep13

[Suggestion] Suggestions Empty [Suggestion] Suggestions

Post by Plix March 7th 2009, 1:45 pm

We need to have a talk. There are some things I would like to suggest that need adjusting here, in my opinion.

First off, this is a forum. A forum's sole purpose is for you to discuss things. If you're not going to add your thoughts to a thread, simply don't post in it. These one word posts, posts with only a smiley, and posts that just quote another member's thoughts should be against the rules. I know a lot of people in this world that will be instantly turned off if they see this type of behavior being openly allowed. At least type "I agree" into the post when you quote someone.

Second, why all of these subcategories? So much breaking down of subjects defeats the purpose, methinks. If your member count declines, population will fall flat, and I think that because of this, the numerous subcategories should be merged into one, large board parent.

Also, I would like to suggest merging of the forum rules and the forum news section. It looks sloppy to have so many seperate places, IMO.

And finally, I think that the mandatory requirement should be moved into the newly merged "Forum Center" or whatever you wish to call it, and should be renamed to encourage inviting members instead of making it a required duty, as this will scare away a few people as well.

Just my thoughts, discuss please.
    sykog
    sykog

[Suggestion] Suggestions Imagee10

[Suggestion] Suggestions Blackr10[Suggestion] Suggestions Medalw11[Suggestion] Suggestions Medalg10[Suggestion] Suggestions Zigzag10[Suggestion] Suggestions Medal13

Rep29

[Suggestion] Suggestions Empty Re: [Suggestion] Suggestions

Post by sykog March 7th 2009, 1:52 pm

SupaSEGA wrote:We need to have a talk. There are some things I would like to suggest that need adjusting here, in my opinion.

First off, this is a forum. A forum's sole purpose is for you to discuss things. If you're not going to add your thoughts to a thread, simply don't post in it. These one word posts, posts with only a smiley, and posts that just quote another member's thoughts should be against the rules. I know a lot of people in this world that will be instantly turned off if they see this type of behavior being openly allowed. At least type "I agree" into the post when you quote someone.

Second, why all of these subcategories? So much breaking down of subjects defeats the purpose, methinks. If your member count declines, population will fall flat, and I think that because of this, the numerous subcategories should be merged into one, large board parent.

Also, I would like to suggest merging of the forum rules and the forum news section. It looks sloppy to have so many seperate places, IMO.

And finally, I think that the mandatory requirement should be moved into the newly merged "Forum Center" or whatever you wish to call it, and should be renamed to encourage inviting members instead of making it a required duty, as this will scare away a few people as well.

Just my thoughts, discuss please.
    That is in the rules, but people aren't following it. Ive warned them a bnch of times to, and even deleted a few posts.
    I completely agree. I want to delete that forum, along with Joeoflula.
    sykog
    sykog

[Suggestion] Suggestions Blackr10[Suggestion] Suggestions Medalw11[Suggestion] Suggestions Medalg10[Suggestion] Suggestions Zigzag10[Suggestion] Suggestions Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog March 7th 2009, 2:10 pm

Well, I deleted the Mandatory requirement, so it's a small start.
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix March 7th 2009, 2:44 pm

Awesome, here's to a better look!

No offense to Joe, I just don't think someone whom the staff likes should get their own category, anyone agree?
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog March 7th 2009, 2:49 pm

SupaSEGA wrote:Awesome, here's to a better look!

No offense to Joe, I just don't think someone whom the staff likes should get their own category, anyone agree?
    I agree, but Ill wait till Zez gets on.
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix March 7th 2009, 3:47 pm

Fair enough. I also wager to remove or at the very least tighten up the criteria for being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Moderation isn't that hard of a job, nor is inviting people, and I don't feel that those things should be criteria.
    Miles24
    Miles24

[Suggestion] Suggestions Blackr10[Suggestion] Suggestions Medalw11[Suggestion] Suggestions White10[Suggestion] Suggestions Medal13[Suggestion] Suggestions 2nio02t

Rep2

Post by Miles24 March 7th 2009, 4:58 pm

sykog77 wrote:
    SupaSEGA wrote:Awesome, here's to a better look!

I agree, but Ill wait till Zez gets on.

I have to agree as well. I even sent a Private Message to Zezima last night regarding it, but he never replied. I understand that he was leaving, but it's a bit unessecary to have an entire forum made because of this. (No offence to Joeoflula.)
    Zez
    Zez

[Suggestion] Suggestions Blackr10[Suggestion] Suggestions Medalw11[Suggestion] Suggestions Zigzag10[Suggestion] Suggestions Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez March 7th 2009, 9:06 pm

I'm here. What do you want to say?
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog March 7th 2009, 9:45 pm

Zezima wrote:I'm here. What do you want to say?
    I deleted 2 forums, but the posts were just moved.
    Zez
    Zez

[Suggestion] Suggestions Blackr10[Suggestion] Suggestions Medalw11[Suggestion] Suggestions Zigzag10[Suggestion] Suggestions Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez March 15th 2009, 1:30 am

SupaSEGA wrote:We need to have a talk-

If you're not going to add your thoughts to a thread, simply don't post in it. These one word posts, posts with only a smiley, and posts that just quote another member's thoughts should be against the rules.

Amendment made.

SupaSEGA wrote:Why all of these subcategories? So much breaking down of subjects defeats the purpose. The numerous subcategories should be merged into one, large board parent.

You mean to compress the Categories further?
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix March 15th 2009, 1:57 am

Yes. For example, when you open up the Sonic board, you see a board for Unleashed, a board for Black Knight, and a board for Sonic Games.Also, mybe one for Merchandise, and maybe one for characer specific discussion. So many subcategories will dwindle the number of posts, IMHO.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez March 15th 2009, 2:02 am

SupaSEGA wrote:Yes. For example, when you open up the Sonic board: Black Knight, Sonic Games, and Unleashed. Maybe one for Merchandise, and maybe one for characer specific discussion. So many subcategories will dwindle the number of post.

There is Character Specific Discussion. But, so many subcategories keeps things more organized, does it not? Enlighten, me, please, I am slightly confused.
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix March 15th 2009, 2:07 am

I guessbigger boards with more discussion in them looks more attractive to a lot of people than many different boards with less than ten threads in each. It makes it look like there is less discussion if you have everything organized so that a board might recieve just one to two new topics a month, rather than one big board where there is all sorts of discussion going on about a lot of subjects. Catching my drift?

Also, what's up with moderators not being allowed to make announcements?
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez March 15th 2009, 2:11 am

SupaSEGA wrote:Boards with less than ten threads in each. It looks like there is less discussion if you have everything organized so that a board only gets one or two ne topics per month.

You make some valid points. So, should I compress everything, and maybe make seperate forums in the future when there is more member activity? I like the way everything is organized though, I have to admit.

SupaSEGA wrote:Also, what's up with moderators not being allowed to make announcements?

I did not realize that... let me check into it and come back to you in a minute.
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix March 15th 2009, 2:16 am

Well, I woud suggest doing that. Some forums, (xbox.com, Sports Interactive, I'm looking at you), have well over 200 boards, for each specific game, but they also have tens of thousands of members that post every day. We have maybe 100 that post at least once every month or two, so I don't think all of the division is necessary. I'd lay out a new outline that would work in my eyes, if you want me to.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez March 15th 2009, 2:20 am

SupaSEGA wrote:I woud suggest doing that. We have maybe 100 that post at least once every month or two, so I don't think all of the division is necessary.

Good point, but I have this worrying feeling that in the future I might forgot how my layout used to be, because sometimes I have memory problems, but whatever, what you said was true, and something should probably be done.

SupaSEGA wrote:I'd lay out a new outline that would work in my eyes, if you want me to.

Well, I would like to see it, but I wouldn't nessecarily change this place right away. If only there was some way you could show me a draft picture of what the forums would look like without altering the forums themselves. I want to see it, but I don't see how without actually changing these boards.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez March 15th 2009, 4:28 am

Supa, about that not being able to make announcements complaint -- It's the Forum permissions. I'll make it accessible, okay?
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix March 15th 2009, 4:37 am

Cool, thanks. Tell me when it's up, I have a few threads that eed stickifying.

And I'm not really good at Photoshop or anything, you want just an IF board slapped together with what it would look like, would that work? Or I could just outline it in a post.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez March 15th 2009, 4:40 am

1.- There's a lot of Forums that need to be made accesible, sad to say. Name the forums you need, and I'll activate them.

2.- What is an IF?
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix March 15th 2009, 4:52 am

Well, I'd prefer all of them, I don't really remember any specifically. But I've seen a few examples here and there.

IF is short for "InvisionFree", a free forum website. I can sign up and slap a few boards down, and only make it so us two can see it and make the descision, if you'd like.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez March 15th 2009, 4:54 am

SupaSEGA wrote:Well, I'd prefer all of them, I don't really remember any specifically. But I've seen a few examples here and there.

Ah, well I won't lie: That will take a while.

SupaSEGA wrote:IF is short for "InvisionFree", a free forum website. I can sign up and slap a few boards down, and only make it so us two can see it and make the descision, if you'd like.

That's a great idea! :P You make a mock up board, I join after you give me the link, and we go there and discuss our ideas on the board! Brilliant! :P
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix March 15th 2009, 5:03 am

K, be looking out for a PM from me tonight. Well, hey just run over to TSS and sign up, that'll be easier. I'll give you an admin spot and we can chat in the Admin board there, it'll be quicker and more efficient.
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix March 15th 2009, 5:07 am

Supa note: TSS is The SEGA Source, the link is in my signature.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez March 15th 2009, 5:08 am

I know it's The SEGA Source. Thanks, though.
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix March 15th 2009, 5:23 am

Yup, I'll see you there. Once I've given you the proper credentials, you should see the Situation Room at the top of the page. Until you see it, feel free to check around the place.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content