The ancient lands.

3 posters

Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia"

XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Imagee10

Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Medalw11Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Medalg10Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Zigzag10Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Medal13

: Male
     Rep4

Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Empty Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia"

Post by XNinjaRed March 10th 2009, 5:27 am

I've seen lots of things. LOTS of things which made me go "THIS IS MUCH BETTER THEN THE PREVIOUS". Then some guy comes and says the previous or the previous of the previous was better. This is not bashing someone in general for his opinion, but it's just something I have to rant about.

This isn't really meant to be about Sonic, but you gotta admit, Sonic is pretty much a victim of this too. But I won't get too deep into Sonic (that's what she said).

Anyway, as an example, I'll get... uhhhh... let's see *searches through closet full of movies* AHA!
    Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Imgg
    Please listen to this music while reading this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9dGOS5Ehz4

So. What do we have? It's about a boy who takes over the mantle of Batman because the old Bruce Wayne has a heart condition. We have a very deep story on how Joker is back, we see Joker as the genius he is, we see how heartless and sadistic the Joker is, yet also is able to make Terry (the New Batman) surpass Batman NOT by being better then Bruce in fighting, detective work, or even mysteriousness. No, he surpasses Batman because he has his OWN way of doing things. He is able to beat Joker his OWN way. He can do things Batman never did, why? Because as people have been saying, "He's not the REAL Batman". Sure. But THAT's THE THING! He was able to grow out of being in the shadow of Bruce Wayne. He is his own Batman! This is like the best form of character development I've seen in my life!

What does someone else suddenly say?

"Meh, I like Mask of the Phantasm better".

... WHAT?!

Mask of the Phantasm is cool, yeah. In fact that one is also pretty awesome. It shows the narrow path Batman has to take to be a vigilante. It shows us the Phantasm who is pretty much the Almagation of if Batman ever slipped to the "Dark Side" and became corrupted. It also has a love interest that's actually GOOD for Bruce Wayne.

But that doesn't beat the major character development of Terry and the MUCH more threatening and lovably sadistic fiend version of Joker that we've seen in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker! (Not that Mask of the Phantasm's Joker is bad, he's just not AS bad and not AS awesome!). Why, then? Why does this "random guy" like this better then the newer and to me better movie?

"Because it's not about Bruce Wayne!"

And there you have it. So if it was Bruce Wayne having a big character development where he beat Joker by breaking his own rules, he would like it better?

No. He still wouldn't find it better. You know why? Nostalgia.

He saw the Mask of the Phantasm when he was younger and thought it was amazing. He just can't seem to see that Return of the Joker tries to be something else. He just can't seem to see that a "sequel" doesn't mean "remake of something you loved". No, it's a different story!

If there were for example to be another Shadow the Hedgehog which is ACTUALLY better then Sonic 3 & Knuckles. LOTS of people will not admit it. Why? Because it's not Sonic. Heck that's pretty much the case here already. Sonic Unleashed. Yes I know people will bring up the Werehog, but it actually is pretty enjoyable. Sure I wouldn't go ahead and put it above Sonic 3 and Knuckles. But imagine. Imagine if Sonic Uneashed WAS about only Sonic in daytime. Every level designed the way like in Sonic in daytime. Paradise right? Yeah, lots of people will love it. Will they say it's better then Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Never.

Why?

Nostalgia.

They can't seem to realize something beat their supposed game of god. I don't mean to go say everybody like Sonic 3 & Knuckles is an idiot. No I can fully understand why people love it. But by the way this is going, I'm almost (keyword: ALMOST) would call it overrated. ALMOST. I mean, my god. I couldn't believe my eyes when I went to a message board for a first time. SA2:B, my most FAVORITE Sonic game EVER (by that time) was BASHED TO HELL saying it's not as deep as Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Sonic Unleashed came, my NEW Favorite Sonic game became BASHED TO HELL because it's not Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

CHANGE!
    CHANGE!!!!!

That's what Barack Obama said! CHANGE!

Things CHANGE!

You think Jim Carrey will still be able to re-do Liar Liar when he's an old man? No! No he can't! He'll do it differently! He'll do it as a bumbling lying old man! Who knows? Maybe that even works BETTER! But people won't see it's better, because the ORIGINAL was "better written" or "better actors" etc.

Now remember. I'm not saying you're wrong in your opinion. No. I'm perfectly fine with opposite opinions. Heck I can see why so many hate Shinobi (PS2) while I don't. I'm not complaining. And people can have legitimate reasons to like them, and I'm cool with that.

It's just that sometimes the new generation can't win from old generation simply because of Nostalgia.

People can't let go of their past.

Am I an exception? No. I'm not. I'll always see some more value in the older games then the newer games. I'm just able to detach it from myself and look more closely.

If there was ever a Tails "Miles" Prower game, or Knuckles the Echidna game for example that is better then any Sonic game ever made. I'll be the first to say that it is. Just like how I was (well... kinda) the first to say Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker was the best Batman movie ever.
    ... Until the Dark Knight came <_<
    Zez
    Zez

Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" VOZLn

Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Blackr10Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Medalw11Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Zigzag10Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Medal13

Rep24

Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Empty Re: Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia"

Post by Zez March 10th 2009, 5:38 am

XNinjaRed wrote: If there were for example to be another Shadow the Hedgehog which is ACTUALLY better then Sonic 3 & Knuckles. LOTS of people will not admit it. I wouldn't go ahead and put it above Sonic 3 and Knuckles. But imagine. Imagine if Sonic Uneashed WAS about only Sonic in daytime. Every level designed the way like in Sonic in daytime. Paradise right? Yeah, lots of people will love it. Will they say it's better then Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Never. I don't mean to go say everybody like Sonic 3 & Knuckles is an idiot. No I can fully understand why people love it. But everyone bashed me because I said it wasn't as deep as S3&K.

You're describing Noobs, for one. Two, there are other reasons why I detest newer games, but you could argue they're tied to nastalgia. But what isn't? Honestly, nastalgia is a defining concept for nearly everything we like. If we like something early on, we compare everything to that standard. Anything that doesn't create anything close to the euphoria that the nastalgic liking did, then we toss it aside. Although, there is a hole in your theory. During the days of nastalgia, when I was liking S3&K, I disliked Bean Machine, and Sonic Chaos. Why? By your definition, I should've loved it and still ove it. Huh? They're both nastalgic, yet I don't like them both. How is that?
    XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Imagee10

Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Medalw11Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Medalg10Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Zigzag10Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Medal13

Rep4

Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Empty Re: Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia"

Post by XNinjaRed March 10th 2009, 5:51 am

Because it's not like Sonic the Hedgehog 1.
    Eitherway, I'm not even talking about noobs. This is how people realy do think, you even say so in your post.

Like I said, there are legitimate reasons why people will like it (jezus, do you EVER read my whole post?) but there are allot of time where the Nostalgia BLINDS them from the truth that something is better.

Not to say Sonic Unleashed IS better. I'm just saying that Daytime Sonic has gave me allot more fun then Sonic 3 & Knuckles has ever given me, and I'm not afraid to admit it. Other people however are. Other people won't accept how something that's not as physics oriented as Sonic 3 & Knuckles and has somewhat mindless running on parts is actually able to be more FUN then Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I can believe people like you have legitimate reasons to like the older ones, but other people, not necesserelly noobs mind you, just won't be able to accept it, and other people with their nostalgia will lead them into thinking the game they enjoyed so much CAN'T be better then the game they loved in the older days.
    XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed March 10th 2009, 5:59 am

And when did I say everyone bashed me by saying Shadow the Hedgehog was deeper then Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Really ,if this was a court, you're forging evidence...
    Zez
    Zez

Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" VOZLn

Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Blackr10Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Medalw11Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Zigzag10Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez March 10th 2009, 6:12 am

Fine, then. There are other reasons.
    XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed March 10th 2009, 6:17 am

Of course there are other reasons. I'm just saying Nostalgia can blind people at times. In fact look at the actual post and you see I wasn't even trying to aim at the Sonic fandom.
    Try to do as me and detach from your own Sonic fan like I detached myself from my Batman fan and then read what I posted.

I'm pretty sure if I didn't put Sonic anywhere there you would simply have a different response.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez March 10th 2009, 6:18 am

I would not, but I was focusing on that area.
    XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed March 10th 2009, 6:22 am

Well, that wasn't even the main thing. The main thing is the whole Batman Beyond and such. If you haven't seen it, seriously, it's like one of the best movies I've seen.

You know what? Let me put this in the favorite movies thing.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez March 10th 2009, 6:25 am

I used to watch Batman Beyond all the time.
    XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed March 10th 2009, 6:28 am

Did you see the movie then?
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez March 10th 2009, 6:31 am

Only a minute of it, I vaguely remember it being on TV.
    XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed March 10th 2009, 6:35 am

WATCH IT!
    I also just watched "a few minutes of it" when I was younger.
    By the time I actually got to see the whole thing I was just 14. When I saw it (watch the uncut version btw) I was BLOWN AWAY and CAN'T believe people prefered Mask of the Phantasm over this!
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Blackr10Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Medalw11Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Medalg10Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" White10Media which will never beat their previous because of something called "Nostalgia" Medal13

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 March 18th 2009, 7:54 pm

Sounds about right to me. However, a few things can't be explained this easily about people preferences though. It takes a lot more digging then man-kind is capable of. I usually just go with it. Let them think whatever the hell they want.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez March 19th 2009, 12:58 pm

Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:A few things can't be explained this easily about people preferences. It takes more digging than man-kind is capable of.

I agree with the above statement. ^ Oversimplifications are just answers for the weak-minded.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content