SonicFanPS2
The Freedom Fighter
Jmh
17 posters

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out

Jmh
    Jmh

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Imagee10

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medalw11Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out White10Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medal13

: Male
     Rep67

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Empty Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out

Post by Jmh May 16th 2012, 11:39 pm

I'm sure you're all already aware of this, but Sonic 4: Episode 2 is now out on Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network, iOS, Android, Windows Phone 7 and PC.

So feel free to share your thoughts on the game if you've played it, and here's the launch trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHvOK2BIZ5w
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out ZtZYh

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Blackr10Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medalw11Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Zigzag10Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out White10Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medal13Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out 2nio02t

Rep76

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Empty Re: Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out

Post by The Freedom Fighter May 17th 2012, 1:31 am

It's fun, but can be very frustrating.
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out VOZLn

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medalw11Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medal13

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 May 17th 2012, 9:21 pm

I don't have the game yet, but I've heard the music, and it's just okay. I mean, it's not bad...but it's not to the level that I think most Sonic games usually are at. It looks great, though.

The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Blackr10Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medalw11Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Zigzag10Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out White10Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medal13Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter May 17th 2012, 11:38 pm

I would say the music is better than Episode I's though. Except Mad Gear. But oh well.

I beat the game, and the story's not bad for a classic game, but still doesn't beat STH3&K.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medalw11Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out White10Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh May 18th 2012, 3:51 am

I got all the red rings, chaos emeralds, beat Episode Metal, and completed the main story of Episode 2. So I guess that's enough for a review:

The first thing you'll notice that has been improved over Episode 1 are the graphics. While they aren't as good as Generations' of course, they still look good enough to the point where they would only need to tweak them slightly in Episode 3 (Assuming they'll actually develop another episode). The music (At least in my opinion) is better too. Though I feel that it's forgettable, when you listen to it, you can actually enjoy it.

But what everyone truly cares about is the gameplay, and while I can definitely say that it isn't quite on the same the level as the classic games, it's certainly a step in the right direction from Episode 1. The physics are actually pretty natural this time whereas in Episode 1 it almost felt like the physics were the gimmicks itself. Still, they don't quite have the free feeling that the classics did. That's the thing, it doesn't feel as free as it should. I can't quite wrap my finger around it, but it's as if the game has the level design of a Megaman game, but the gameplay of a Sonic game (Admittedly that's a bit of an over exaggeration, but still). It's not necessarily buggy, nor are the physics restricting, but it's just a little automated at times.

Another thing that contributes to the points I mentioned above, are the combo moves that you do. A lot of the times, they force you to do a combo move with Tails, which isn't really as bad as it sounds, but there is one move that's basically like the frenzy wisp in Colors, but less rewarding and more cheap.

All in all though, the game's still fun, and unlike Episode 1 I'll probably being replaying this one from time to time. However, like Generations, it feels like it's just too small. I know that sounds greedy, and while it kind of is, I feel that a lot of the recent Sonic games have this problem, where you find every secret, every unlock-able, and yet you feel like you just got started. It sort of sucks the re-playability away. But that's only a minor complaint as quality overall triumphs over quantity. After all, the classic games were very short, yet most consider them the best in the series.

Oh, there is another minor downside that I won't get too worked up over, but will address. As you probably know, owners of both Episode 1 and 2 get the free Episode Metal DLC. However, all it contains are four acts, each of which are based on the four zones in Episode 1, and I personally felt that the opening act was surprisingly and delightfully challenging, while the other three, especially the last two, were very easy and unsatisfying. However, it's free so I can't complain too much. But if you didn't get it for free, I'd recommend not wasting your money on it, unless you're a diehard Sonic fan.

One more thing: I played one game of the multiplayer, and for me, it was very laggy, and felt more like a race than the co-op mode it was trying to be. But I only played one game so I won't jump to too many conclusions.

Overall I give it a solid 8.2/10.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter May 18th 2012, 3:50 pm

Well, I will say my co-op experience started with lots of lag, but by the time we got a couple acts in it ran smooth. I have DSL Internet and it's pretty far from my PS3, so I figure if you have a better situation than that, you'll be fine.

But yeah, a great review Jmh. You should do that more often. Silly
    Jmh
    Jmh

Rep67

Post by Jmh May 19th 2012, 4:30 am

IGN put up their review:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/19/sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-ii-review

Good review, but I feel the score was a little off.
    Chaos_Overlord
    Chaos_Overlord

Rep11

Post by Chaos_Overlord May 19th 2012, 5:28 pm

The Freedom Fighter wrote:I would say the music is better than Episode I's though. Except Mad Gear. But oh well.

I beat the game, and the story's not bad for a classic game, but still doesn't beat STH3&K.
    No classic game beats Sonic 3 and Knuckles. But anyway, I am considering getting the game, and the music that I have heard is pretty good, but kinda forgettable.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Blackr10Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medal13Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medalw11

Rep33

Post by 84 May 19th 2012, 5:34 pm

I've only heard mediocre things about the game.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter May 19th 2012, 5:37 pm

Chaos_Overlord wrote:
    The Freedom Fighter wrote:I would say the music is better than Episode I's though. Except Mad Gear. But oh well.

No classic game beats Sonic 3 and Knuckles. But anyway, I am considering getting the game, and the music that I have heard is pretty good, but kinda forgettable.
    Definitely. Although I will say I still have White Park Act 2's theme in my head. But that's thanks to Twinkle Park.
    karkooshy
    karkooshy

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medalg10

Rep9

Post by karkooshy May 20th 2012, 3:58 am

Well.. I have the iOS version... and for a mobile game... it's pretty darn impressive.
    I'm not sure how it can compare with other console games on a console like the PS... but it's currently my favorite iOS game :P
    Everything is perfect.
    My only complaint is that, once we select a level via level select, upon completing the level, we should be taken back to the level selection menu... NOT be automatically transferred to the next level.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter May 20th 2012, 5:59 am

karkooshy wrote:Well.. I have the iOS version... and for a mobile game... it's pretty darn impressive.
    I'm not sure how it can compare with other console games on a console like the PS... but it's currently my favorite iOS game :P
    Everything is perfect.
    My only complaint is that, once we select a level via level select, upon completing the level, we should be taken back to the level selection menu... NOT be automatically transferred to the next level.
    Well in the console version you have a choice. Straight shot it or choose the next act. It does seem kind of odd the iThing version doesn't have that option.
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 May 21st 2012, 5:33 am

Awesome review, Jmh, although when you said the classic games were very short, didn't they have at least 20 levels each(I mean, if you put Sonic 3 & Knuckles together, of course)?
    BlazePrower9205

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out 3qll2

: Female
     Rep3

Post by BlazePrower9205 May 21st 2012, 10:55 am

Episode 2's better than Episode 1, but it still doesn't beat Sonic CD and Sonic 2 (sorry, no mention on S3&K).
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter May 21st 2012, 10:10 pm

SonicFanPS2 wrote:Awesome review, Jmh, although when you said the classic games were very short, didn't they have at least 20 levels each(I mean, if you put Sonic 3 & Knuckles together, of course)?
    Sonic 1 has 18 acts and the Final Zone, Sonic 2 has 19 acts and the Death Egg Zone, Sonic 3 has 12 acts, Sonic & Knuckles has 12 acts and the Doomsday Zone, Sonic CD has 21 acts, Sonic 4 Episode I has 12 acts and E.G.G. Station, along with 4 boss acts, and Sonic 4 Episode II has 12 acts and the Death Egg mk. II, along with 4 boss acts.

I wouldn't say the boss acts count, or E.G.G. Station, but you could count Death Egg mk. II. So yeah, each episode has a low number of acts, but combined it has the highest number of acts.
    Moran

: Female
     Rep34

Post by Moran May 24th 2012, 7:12 am

*didn't read thread because of spoiler potential*

Answer yes or no, and if you explain why don't give a spoiler-filled explanation -- assuming it has enough plot to it to have spoilers, I guess -- or I will murder you: Is the game (Both episodes; I have neither right now.) worth getting? Please and thank you, etc.
    JMan
    JMan

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out WFmvl

Rep0

Post by JMan May 27th 2012, 10:19 pm

gawd this game is just as horrid as the first one. Screw this game and lets all play sonic fusion lol
    No one
    No one

Rep0

Post by No one May 27th 2012, 10:32 pm

I offer the following rebuttal:

Gods, you're just as horrid as a pile of turds. Screw you, and let's all play "Beat JMan to death."
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Kz2PK

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 June 7th 2012, 10:58 am

I won't even bother with this one. It's fake Sonic.
    JMan
    JMan

Rep0

Post by JMan June 7th 2012, 11:04 am

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:I won't even bother with this one. It's fake Sonic.

I love this guy already you should play Sonic Fusion with us
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 June 8th 2012, 1:00 pm

The Freedom Fighter wrote:
    SonicFanPS2 wrote:Awesome review, Jmh, although when you said the classic games were very short, didn't they have at least 20 levels each(I mean, if you put Sonic 3 & Knuckles together, of course)?
    Sonic 1 has 18 acts and the Final Zone, Sonic 2 has 19 acts and the Death Egg Zone, Sonic 3 has 12 acts, Sonic & Knuckles has 12 acts and the Doomsday Zone, Sonic CD has 21 acts, Sonic 4 Episode I has 12 acts and E.G.G. Station, along with 4 boss acts, and Sonic 4 Episode II has 12 acts and the Death Egg mk. II, along with 4 boss acts.

I wouldn't say the boss acts count, or E.G.G. Station, but you could count Death Egg mk. II. So yeah, each episode has a low number of acts, but combined it has the highest number of acts.

Thanks, Freedom! I guess, in that case, it'd be more accurate to say about 20 acts, but do special stages also count?
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter June 8th 2012, 1:38 pm

SonicFanPS2 wrote:
    The Freedom Fighter wrote:

Thanks, Freedom! I guess, in that case, it'd be more accurate to say about 20 acts, but do special stages also count?
    I didn't count them, but if I did, STH 3&K would win thanks to Blue Spheres. :P Every other game only has seven Special Stages except Sonic 4, which has 14.
    Schnickelfritz
    Schnickelfritz

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out White10Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medalg10Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medal13Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medalw11

Rep34

Post by Schnickelfritz June 8th 2012, 2:16 pm

I liked it, all in all. Here's my review of it : http://garliccheese.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/new-game-review-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-ii/
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 June 8th 2012, 3:03 pm

Schnickelfritz wrote:I liked it, all in all. Here's my review of it : http://garliccheese.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/new-game-review-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-ii/

Great review, Schnickelfritz! It was excellent! I really liked how you started it off.
    Schnickelfritz
    Schnickelfritz

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out White10Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medalg10Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medal13Sonic 4: Episode 2 is out Medalw11

Rep34

Post by Schnickelfritz June 8th 2012, 3:45 pm

SonicFanPS2 wrote:
    Schnickelfritz wrote:I liked it, all in all. Here's my review of it : http://garliccheese.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/new-game-review-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-ii/

Great review, Schnickelfritz! It was excellent! I really liked how you started it off.
    Much obliged.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content