Kids Say School is Too Easy

The Freedom Fighter

: Male
     Rep76

Kids Say School is Too Easy

Post by The Freedom Fighter on July 11th 2012, 12:03 am

http://living.msn.com/family-parenting/the-family-room-blog-post?post=f42eee31-4f04-495f-8fdf-49e2df0164d2&ocid=todlif11

So how about it? Most of you are still in school. Do you want a ton of homework, lots of studying, and the rest of the time dedicated to going and attending school?

To the first forum that gave me a chance. Thank you. You will be missed.

Rep33

Re: Kids Say School is Too Easy

Post by 84 on July 11th 2012, 12:10 am

How many of them actually do their assignments and get good grades?
    Nnoitra Hushimo

Rep35

Post by Nnoitra Hushimo on July 11th 2012, 1:23 am

If school fails to challenge them, make them be forced to write a best-selling novel series comparable to Harry Potter or Twilight. If they can't, then they fail.
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog on July 11th 2012, 3:27 am

The Freedom Fighter wrote:Do you want a ton of homework, lots of studying, and the rest of the time dedicated to going and attending school?
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    Super Racer Z

Rep15

Post by Super Racer Z on July 22nd 2012, 3:02 am

I found the comments in that article much more interesting than the actual article. I'll put

Spoiler:
    "As a student who found the vast majority of my elementary, middle, and high school classes unchallenging, I don't think more homework is the answer. Even though most of the classes weren't very challenging, I still had hours of homework in the afternoon. The thing was, a lot of it was busy work. Like the teachers were just trying to meet some homework quota or something by giving us tedious assignments that just re-hashed the exact same things said in class over-and-over again.

Large amounts of homework doesn't force kids to focus. I'm sure there are some kids who thrive under copious amounts of pressure, but you can't apply that strategy to everyone. My honors English teacher in 8th grade assigned us papers due every single class. It didn't make me work harder; it made me (and most of the rest of the class) so overwhelmed that I stopped doing the assignments.

It wasn't that I lacked discipline - I'm a straight A/A&B student; there were literally not enough hours in the time I got home from school to the time I went to bed to do her homework AND all the homework for my other classes too. Trying to fix the problem by heaping on more and more homework makes school challenging in all the wrong ways: the panic-attack-inducin​g kind of challenging as opposed to the mind-expanding kind of challenging that school is supposed to be.

Don't get me wrong I also had some great, challenging-in-the-r​ight-way classes, too, and I learned a lot in those classes, which only served to highlight the short-comings of the mediocre, busy-work classes. It's not the amount of homework - it's the CONTENT and QUALITY of assignments that need to be improved (not just of homework but also in-class work).

Anyway, there's my 2 cents. I hope all of that was reasonably coherent."
    Spoiler:
    "More homework does not equal more challenge. Schools should actually teach harder material. Giving more homework overwhelms a student, giving meaningful and challenging homework makes it more interesting. As a 2nd year college student, I can safely say that the worst part about our public education is that it is taught for the lowest common denominator. Almost any class that wasn't AP or an interesting elective just felt like a waste of time to me because of how easy it was. As another fact, my AP english class assigned less papers and homework than the normal english class, it's just that the AP class had more meaningful assignments."
    Spoiler:
    "As Caity says, most homework is busy work, repetative assignments meant to drill someone into a kids head, not really teach them anything. Sendnig home 20 pages of math problems with a kid would only help if it's something they are still trying to actively learn. However, if it's something the kid already knows, and has known from day one (or even before day one, as I did) then it's just time consuming busy work. Homework is meant to be practice to help a kid get better at whatever subject it is, but if you don't need the practice than it won't do you any good. For example, in middle school my Algebra class spents MONTHS on learning how to do one type of problem. every night we had at least 30 problems to do for homework. The sad fact of it was, we all understood how to do the work in the first week, which just meant we grew bored in class and stopped caring.

Homework will not challenge a student if the curiculum is not challenging. From sixth grade and on I struggled with passing classes, not because I couldn't do the work, but because I was so mind-numbingly bored with it that I saw no reason to do it. The only time in my high school career that I felt challenged, that I was HAPPY to go to school and learn, was when I went to an alternative school semi built off of the idea of home schooling. Kids did work at their own speed, mostly at home, and they often ended up being able to choose what they wanted to learn. The only reason I passed Geometry (my third time through it) was because I was so callenged by it because I had to do a years worth of work in a months time, which meant I had no time to get bored.

The system doesn't need more homework. It just needs to ask for more from the students. Trust me, they want to be asked for more."
    Spoiler:
    Most homework is simple busywork. Assign Projects. Make them show they have actual mastery of both the subject and the skills to apply it, make them challenge their peers, then they will work and succeed.
    Spoiler:
    I don't think homework is the answer. Homework is usually busy work and I remember handing in absolute garbage that my teachers would then slap an A on. I learned quickly that it didn't take much to not just get through, but also get a good grade in high school. Most of my teachers' idea of teaching was to have us open up our books and have us take notes on the material; they were essentially babysitters who only got up and taught when it was to teach us good test taking skills so we could pass the state mandated standardized tests. I went to school in Florida and our entire curriculum, starting in the 3rd grade was geared toward teaching us to pass the FCAT, which was a joke. I passed high school with grades that don't reflect what I learned because just about everything I'm learning now in college (luckily with my grades I was able to get into a good one) I'm learning for the first time, things like American history, WWI, WWII, and studying literary classics that we had "no time" to read during high school. I did have a few teachers that knew the system was bogus and tried to actually inspire/teach us and for them I made sure to do my best (never once did I sleep... well maybe once) and I will always be grateful to those few.
    Spoiler:
    I just came out of a very competitive and certainly challenging charter school. I can tell you that homework is not the answer. The answer is having teachers passionate about what they do and a government who lays off the standards. The more we standardize our education, the less engaging it is, and the more teachers are stuck worrying more about how to incorporate anything than how to challenge their students.
    Spoiler:
    No no no Jeremy Greenberg...

Why is there this conception that 'more homework = more challenging'? What happened to the focus on content that you were previously talking about? Homework indeed has its merit, but it only has that merit if it challenges a person to critically think. Give me 10 easy addition math problems, and I'll say its too easy. Give me 1000 easy addition math problems, and I'll say its too annoying. Give me 1 hard math problem, and I'll be studying the steps and logic and derivations that are required to solve it - that is worth more than any amount of tedious problems you'll throw at me.

I agree with most of those comments. More homework is a horrid idea, and already an issue with some schools as it is. What the terrible school system here needs is a wide, varied curriculum which is actually geared towards teaching all of the interesting things in this world, and teachers who actually want to teach us these things. What we have now is a system geared towards simply teaching us how to take a stupid state-mandated test, and a bunch of teachers, barely making enough money to make a living, who are often there to just babysit and make sure you're able to get the school good test scores.

I also wish less time and homework was spent on constantly rebuilding knowledge foundations that should have already been hammered into our brains. Having to constantly review and triple check all of the simple addition while trying to learn geometry, is very grating after a while. And that's despite only having to be in the online classroom for each of my subjects for one hour out of every week, and being allowed to work at my own pace. If I wasn't able to work ahead like in standard schooling, I'd probably lose my mind.

My Gamertag is Spec Racer Z and my name is Zack.

Chatbox Quote
    [13:33:49]  Super Racer Z : Guys, we're talking about Sonic on a Sonic forum. What madness is this?
    [13:34:15]  sykog : I know, this usually never happens in the Piantabox
    [13:34:28]  sykog : Alert the authorities!
    [13:34:42]  Super Racer Z : We are the authorities.
    [13:35:19]  sykog : Oh yeah
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter on July 22nd 2012, 3:22 am

And keep in mind grades are overly important, regardless of whether they should be. You won't be getting the job you want, or the college you want, if your grade is not high enough. While learning the subject is very important, and technically should be most important, I would imagine grades are still the primary scale. After all, because Yuji Naka hadn't finished college, Namco turned him down, and that's how SEGA got him.

To the first forum that gave me a chance. Thank you. You will be missed.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 22nd 2012, 4:34 pm

It would be nice to have a reason to pay attention in school and actually spend more than 15 minutes on my homework. I hardly ever put any effort into school and get all A's. It would be nice to actually feel like I'm earning them.
    *ShiningStar*

: Female
     Rep10

Post by *ShiningStar* on July 22nd 2012, 4:47 pm

They obviously haven't taken AP/AICE Comparative Politics (also known as International Relations) Or tried their hand at Calculus. When they pass both classes and AP Euro at the same year, then they can say school is too easy.
    Schnickelfritz

Rep33

Post by Schnickelfritz on July 22nd 2012, 4:53 pm

*ShiningStar* wrote:They obviously haven't taken AP/AICE Comparative Politics (also known as International Relations) Or tried their hand at Calculus. When they pass both classes and AP Euro at the same year, then they can say school is too easy.
    Agreed. But another part is the teacher. I've taken a year of calculus already, and it was easy as all get out. But that was because my teacher was a lazy, twenty-something woman who didn't really care about her students learning anything. So it was pretty dman easy.
    *ShiningStar*

: Female
     Rep10

Post by *ShiningStar* on July 22nd 2012, 5:09 pm

Schnickelfritz wrote:
    *ShiningStar* wrote:They obviously haven't taken AP/AICE Comparative Politics (also known as International Relations) Or tried their hand at Calculus. When they pass both classes and AP Euro at the same year, then they can say school is too easy.
    Agreed. But another part is the teacher. I've taken a year of calculus already, and it was easy as all get out. But that was because my teacher was a lazy, twenty-something woman who didn't really care about her students learning anything. So it was pretty dman easy.
    Lucky!! My teacher was terrible and gave tests like crazy. She didn't even allow us to use scientific calculators! I'm like, it's flipping Calculus! What do you expect me to use? Well if you don't first succeed, try try again. *sigh* Time to take it again.
    Super Racer Z

Rep15

Post by Super Racer Z on July 22nd 2012, 6:27 pm

Yes, if you take multiple electives, it'll make your overall workload harder. That doesn't necessarily mean school isn't easy, since you still have to complete the required courses. You should also make the distinction between the difficulty of work, and the amount of work. You could be given massive piles of assignments and homework, making it very grueling and difficult to complete it all. That doesn't mean the work is hard, it just means there's a lot of it. You can find it difficult to complete all of the work while still finding the questions and lessons to be too easy.

My Gamertag is Spec Racer Z and my name is Zack.

Chatbox Quote
    [13:33:49]  Super Racer Z : Guys, we're talking about Sonic on a Sonic forum. What madness is this?
    [13:34:15]  sykog : I know, this usually never happens in the Piantabox
    [13:34:28]  sykog : Alert the authorities!
    [13:34:42]  Super Racer Z : We are the authorities.
    [13:35:19]  sykog : Oh yeah
    Nuva

Rep20

Post by Nuva on July 26th 2012, 4:29 am

Well what you also have to remember is what one person finds easy another finds as a challenge, and vice versa. For example, Calculus was a piece of cake for me, yet I struggled through English as I am terrible at writing. And even then, similar subjects are varied too. In going with the Calculus example, while I did well in a supposedly higher level math, Trig and Geometry I got some of the poorest grades I've ever had. Some subjects click with you right away, some do not.

Schools could also probably do with teaching more practical things to people instead of useless algorithms and the like. For the amount of people who come out of highschool and college and don't know how to pay bills, rent a home, deal with their car, get appropriate credits, etc, you'd think there'd be a more useful class teaching how to live or something.
    iHawk

Rep15

Post by iHawk on July 26th 2012, 1:07 pm

they're lying

Post by Guest on July 26th 2012, 1:50 pm

The only thing I find hard at school is math. Sadly, math apparently outweighs all other subjects these days, so it doesn't do me much good.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content