Knuckles
sykog
Zez
The Freedom Fighter
Crystal Chaotix 3
Gamma The Great
Plix
11 posters

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story?

Plix
    Plix

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? VOZLn

: Male
     Rep13

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Empty Sonic: Since when did it become a love story?

Post by Plix March 31st 2009, 8:14 pm

I was just looking through my Sonic comics in the 130-150 range (when I started and stopped buying again), and I noticed a lot of love stories becoming involved with the main story. I also noticed some anime/manga incluence in the artistry. WTF? Since when is Sonic about love? Why does Tails have to get all emo when he sees Sonic with that other fox?

What is your opinion on the subjects?
    Gamma The Great
    Gamma The Great

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medalw11Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medalg10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Zigzag10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medal13

Rep2

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Empty Re: Sonic: Since when did it become a love story?

Post by Gamma The Great April 3rd 2009, 2:39 pm

Tails loves Fiona, and sonic and Fiona were dating, but it turns out Fiona was an evil b*tch. Archie has way more love plots than you stated. A lot more.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Blackr10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medalw11Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medalg10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? White10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medal13

Rep17

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Empty Re: Sonic: Since when did it become a love story?

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 3rd 2009, 6:24 pm

Your perception of what Tails was like is yours. But it's simply a regular emotion that everyone has. Try not to take it too seriously.

Although, I do find it a bit out of place for so much of this drama. I forgave it when I found out they actually had a basis for doing a Sonic vs. Tails fight (although not a very likable one).
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix April 4th 2009, 12:14 am

Maybe a gppd set up for a fight, but come on. Talk about lame, Sonic the hedgehog and his sidekick mad at each other because of some stupid video game character romance. WTF?
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? ZtZYh

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Blackr10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medalw11Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Zigzag10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? White10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medal13Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter April 4th 2009, 12:52 am

Comic book character romance. Big difference.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Blackr10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medalw11Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medalg10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? White10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medal13

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 4th 2009, 1:00 am

SupaSEGA wrote:Maybe a gppd set up for a fight, but come on. Talk about lame, Sonic the hedgehog and his sidekick mad at each other because of some stupid video game character romance. WTF?

That's sort of what I said except a bit more prematurly. :Spin:
    Zez
    Zez

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Blackr10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medalw11Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Zigzag10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez April 4th 2009, 1:13 am

The Freedom Fighter wrote:Comic book character romance. Big difference.

Exactly. Comics call for a lot more drama to compensate their lack of better visuals as opposed to the games.
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix April 4th 2009, 2:06 am

I object. The visuals are *usually* fine, and were probably better to look at then the MS/Genny games, which were out when the comic first started.

Drama doesn't have to be in every story. There's been long running series(es?) in television, movies, books, comics, etc, and most of them don't add pointless drama. Honestly, I think it's just the writers trying to satisfy the younger readers who may feed into some of that stuff.

Maybe it's just me, but Sonic isn't a video game series I want to associate with a save the world esque, romantic, real world lifestyle. He's a talking blue hedgehog, with a bunch of oddly colored, oddly behaving friends. Why make it serious with all of this crappy romance novel additions? It's pointless.

The older comics, I'm talking like maybe the first 100, were much better than anything I've seen semirecently.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 4th 2009, 2:08 am

Likwise, drama doesn't always have to mean romantic either guys. Drama is good too have in any good story in my opinion but this heavy romantic stuff factually isn't needed.
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix April 5th 2009, 1:58 am

Exactly. I just wish they wouldn't wreck Sonic by sending him and the universe into the realm of love, making it seem like a crappy and generic teen anime or something.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Blackr10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medalw11Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Zigzag10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? White10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medal13Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter April 5th 2009, 11:19 am

Who says it's wrecking him? For all we know, it could be sending Sonic skyrocketing.
    And love has always been a concept in Sonic, even before the games were made. Archie just takes it farther, which, considering Sonic's age group and everything, it makes sense to deal with the topic.
    Zez
    Zez

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Blackr10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medalw11Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Zigzag10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez April 6th 2009, 2:47 am

The Freedom Fighter wrote:Who says it's wrecking him? For all we know, it could be sending Sonic skyrocketing.
    And love has always been a concept in Sonic, even before the games were made. Archie just takes it farther, which, considering Sonic's age group and everything, it makes sense to deal with the topic.

Exactly. How do you know romance decreases Sonic's popularity? Inf act, I have read the responses, and it actually pique's reader's interests.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 6th 2009, 6:13 pm

Yes. Of course no romance at all would be as strange as heavily implied romance as well.

Find the right center and you should be fine.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez April 7th 2009, 3:52 am

Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:Yes. Of course no romance at all would be as strange as heavily implied romance as well.

Find the right center and you should be fine.

Cookie and Rep point for this post. Winner of this topic. Cookie
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix April 9th 2009, 12:40 am

Not exactly. The age group is primarily preteens, am I correct? There are several other issues they could deal with: homosexuality, cliches (goth, emo, etc.), death, teen sex, alchohol, and drug use and abuse, etc.

You can go on and on. Soon, somebody will be stupid enough to complain to the right person, and things may go downhill, like Sesame Street. (Sonic and Tails, the homosexual couple, Bunny the lesbian Rabbot, Roter the vegetarian anyone?) If enough people get their way, Archie may have passed a line they can't go back on.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 9th 2009, 1:00 am

SupaSEGA wrote:Not exactly. The age group is primarily preteens, am I correct? There are several other issues they could deal with: homosexuality, cliches (goth, emo, etc.), death, teen sex, alchohol, and drug use and abuse, etc.

You can go on and on. Soon, somebody will be stupid enough to complain to the right person, and things may go downhill, like Sesame Street. (Sonic and Tails, the homosexual couple, Bunny the lesbian Rabbot, Roter the vegetarian anyone?) If enough people get their way, Archie may have passed a line they can't go back on.

You don't think any of those topics have to do with romance then? :Wut?:
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix April 9th 2009, 2:02 am

Cliches, sex doesn't always have to do with romance, rape, druge and alchohol abuse and use, death of a loved one, vegetarians, etc.
    sykog
    sykog

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Imagee10

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Blackr10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medalw11Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medalg10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Zigzag10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog April 9th 2009, 2:05 am

Well I'm just glad this whole Tails and Fiona thing is done. But what annoys me the most is all the fanmail encouriging the love stories even MORE. :Whoa!:
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter April 9th 2009, 10:05 am

sykog77 wrote:Well I'm just glad this whole Tails and Fiona thing is done. But what annoys me the most is all the fanmail encouriging the love stories even MORE. :Whoa!:
    Told you. :Amy: :Cool:
    sykog
    sykog

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Imagee10

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Blackr10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medalw11Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medalg10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Zigzag10Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog April 9th 2009, 10:07 am

The Freedom Fighter wrote:
    sykog77 wrote:Well I'm just glad this whole Tails and Fiona thing is done. But what annoys me the most is all the fanmail encouriging the love stories even MORE. :Whoa!:
    Told you. :Amy: :Cool:
    *looks around* Whazzis?
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 9th 2009, 9:02 pm

SupaSEGA wrote:Cliches, sex doesn't always have to do with romance, rape, druge and alchohol abuse and use, death of a loved one, vegetarians, etc.

Might have to explain that a little more. I'm having trouble thinking of a situation where sex isn't a result of romance of some kind (consent or otherwise forced).

And why would any of this be in a Sonic comic anyway? Like I said, an overwhelming amount of romance isn't good for this series but none at all would be a bit weird.
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix April 9th 2009, 10:16 pm

How would it be weird? Stories don't need romance to thrive.

Casual sex. People who have sex just for the exhilaration, I guess, without any romantic attraction sometimes.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 10th 2009, 3:41 pm

SupaSEGA wrote:How would it be weird? Stories don't need romance to thrive.

No they don't. But in this case it'd be a bit weird considering what we're working with. And no, I don't mean generally the fictional status of a talking hedgehog and his mates.

Of course romance doesn't always mean that it has to be particularly romantic. It's kinda like the thing Amy has going for Sonic.

I like to touch on all points. I think a good story can do so without confusing people on what it's general genre is suppose to be.

Last edited by Crystal Chaotix 3 on April 10th 2009, 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Knuckles

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? WFmvl

Rep0

Post by Knuckles April 10th 2009, 3:43 pm

I like the Knuckles Julie-Su aspect. It's cool to see a side of a character you never see anywhere else.
    supersonic703
    supersonic703

Sonic: Since when did it become a love story? WFmvl

Rep0

Post by supersonic703 April 12th 2009, 12:04 am

Sometimes though people have to make sacrifices within the economic state. If it sells, they'll use it. Personally, though, some of the relationships on the comic I tend to disagree with, but hey its my own.

And what would you expect from two best friends after one girl? (Not saying human tendency obviously but you know where I'm getting at...)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content