Zez
    Zez

Death Note VOZLn

Death Note Blackr10Death Note Medalw11Death Note Zigzag10Death Note Medal13

: Male
     Rep24

Death Note Empty Death Note

Post by Zez December 26th 2009, 2:50 am

Ordinarily, I make a point to avoid series plagued by fanboyism, as they generally suffer from pitiful characterization, flimsy storylines, and sub-par aesthetics. Yet, Death Note carried some strange allure and managed to pique my interest, so I decided to give it a shot. I would not be disappointed. It's one of those gems that graces the anime world only every so often and certainly deserves a considerable amount of respect.

At its core, Death Note is an anime that captivates you with a story fashioned around logic, wit, trust, and betrayal. Filled with deep characters and weaved with intensity, it grips you from start to finish with amazing vice. It traces the story of Yagami Light, a young college student who has become disillusioned with the pervasiveness of crime and corruption spread throughout the world. Purely by accident, he stumbles upon a book called a Death Note, which allows its author to kill any person of his or her choosing by merely writing their name inside, given that they know the person's name and face. Though at first skeptical, Light decides to use its powers to cleanse the world of evil, and thus begins his quest for justice.

What immediately follows, however, is a conglomerate struggle of ethics and morality. Death Note presents a surprisingly detailed scenario in which the definition of absolute justice is blurred and the true nature of morality is put into question. Unlike other pseudo-intellectual anime that attempt to provide naïve approaches to such tough subjects, though, it does not step lightly around any of its subject matter. The script writers do a fantastic job at presenting the storyline in dramatic fashion without drowning out its substance in philosophy. There are a number of such elements that the series touches upon, but each and every one is seamlessly streamlined into the anime.

Due to the nature of Death Note's story, however, it's incredibly difficult to present an accurate, detailed reflection of the plot without giving important details away. The drama is presented in a very cumulative fashion, with each individual episode building upon the intricacies and complexities of the last. For a series built so strongly around logic, this is definitely a strength rather than a weakness. You'll find yourself gripped from the first minute until the last, carried on by numerous twists and turns that keep the story both fresh and intriguing with each installment.

Death Note takes the liberty of incorporating some of the best shading effects to date. Grasping emotions and moods with unrivaled precision, detail pervades every inch of every scene. One of Death Note's greatest assets is its ability to immerse the viewer into the anime itself, and the animation here definitely plays a major role in making that happen. Camera angles are taken to accentuate facial expressions, shadows fashion character designs, and the scenery defines moods. Death Note's aesthetics reflect the essence of the storyline itself, and are awash with metaphorical splendor that can be appreciated on a number of different levels.

Oddly enough, two of Death Note's lowest points are the average quality opening and ending themes. Though they certainly capture the mood of the series well enough, they aren't too impressive as individual tracks. Aside from these songs, however, the vast majority of the insert music is above par; save for a very few select pieces, it's surprisingly well orchestrated. The voice acting is where Death Note's sound score really shines, though, especially with Light -- I felt his actor captured his personality and expressions with pinpoint accuracy. By in large, this same standard of quality assumes itself in all but one character, so be prepared for a treat in this category.

Again, commenting on the characters is hard because Death Note continually builds upon itself the story progresses. Though I didn't particularly care for some of the development of a few side characters, every person to appear throughout the series has a distinct purpose. The number of extraneous characters is kept to a virtual minimum, and those who serve little purpose only appear for as long as they are needed; you certainly won't find a plethora of useless fluff here. The writers went through the series with a fine-tooth comb to make sure that each fills his or her respective role with the utmost of precision, making sure only to assimilate those who are necessary for the dramatic elements of the plot.

To conclude, I'm incredibly impressed with Death Note. While, like any other anime, it does have its flaws, as a whole they are relatively minor. There are a few ups on downs throughout the course of the thirty-seven episodes, but the vast majority of time is spent very wisely. To its fortune, the series is constructed in such a way that it has a nearly universal sense of appeal, and as such should not be passed up. Most definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so make sure to check it out if you have not done so already.
    Chaos_Overlord
    Chaos_Overlord

Death Note VOZLn

Death Note Medalw11Death Note Medal13

Rep11

Death Note Empty Re: Death Note

Post by Chaos_Overlord December 26th 2009, 11:17 am

I never really understood what was happening when it was on TV before.
    BreakeRaid
    BreakeRaid

Death Note WFmvl

Rep0

Post by BreakeRaid December 26th 2009, 6:48 pm

The voice acting is done by The Ocean Sound Group. Good stuff.
    mikeblastdude
    mikeblastdude

Death Note WFmvl

Rep0

Post by mikeblastdude January 2nd 2010, 3:58 pm

Death Note is one of the few anime series I watched completely from beginning to end. Definitely an awesome series.

Everyone I've talked to about Death Note seems to be on one side or the other (Light vs. L/Near). I was never on either side, I just enjoyed all of the suspense, watching all that goes on with the characters in each episode.

Oh, and also, I love Ryuk! He's hilarious. :D

Last edited by mikeblastdude on January 2nd 2010, 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Jmh
    Jmh

Death Note Imagee10

Death Note Medalw11Death Note White10Death Note Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh January 2nd 2010, 4:13 pm

L is awesome.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Death Note Imagee10

Rep67

Post by Jmh January 6th 2010, 6:41 pm

Bump.
    Sketch Style
    Sketch Style

Death Note GOMM8

Rep2

Post by Sketch Style January 6th 2010, 6:51 pm

Death Note is a good gem of Anime it is.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Death Note Imagee10

Rep67

Post by Jmh October 17th 2010, 11:42 am

Sorry for bumping this thread again like a jerk but I feel that DN deserves more discussion.

What did you guys think about Near and Mello? What about the final story arc? What about the movie?
    Zez
    Zez

Death Note VOZLn

Death Note Blackr10Death Note Medalw11Death Note Zigzag10Death Note Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez October 17th 2010, 1:23 pm

The first season made the series, the second season tore it down.

Last edited by Zez on October 17th 2010, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Shade
    Shade

Death Note VOZLn

Death Note Medalw11Death Note Zigzag10Death Note Medal13

Rep2

Post by Shade October 17th 2010, 1:35 pm

I've heard about DN. It's quite a good anime.
    Erazor
    Erazor

Death Note Imagee10

Death Note Blackr10Death Note Medalw11Death Note Medalg10Death Note White10Death Note Medal13

Rep22

Post by Erazor October 17th 2010, 2:59 pm

It was an okay show up until Near showed up.
    Kuronoa
    Kuronoa

Death Note WFmvl

Rep0

Post by Kuronoa October 17th 2010, 4:46 pm

I liked both the anime and the manga. I need to check out that "Another Note" novel sometime.
    Phantom
    Phantom

Death Note VOZLn

Death Note Medal13

Rep11

Post by Phantom October 17th 2010, 6:41 pm

I like Death Note. The premise is interesting and once the rules and logistics are set in place there's all kinds of ways the story can have fun within the parameters. However, sometime near the end of the series, things did start to go kinda crazy to the point that even I had to stop and wonder what just happened and whether or not that made sense.
    Shade
    Shade

Death Note VOZLn

Death Note Medalw11Death Note Zigzag10Death Note Medal13

Rep2

Post by Shade October 18th 2010, 10:58 am

Phantom wrote:I like Death Note. The premise is interesting and once the rules and logistics are set in place there's all kinds of ways the story can have fun within the parameters. However, sometime near the end of the series, things did start to go kinda crazy to the point that even I had to stop and wonder what just happened and whether or not that made sense.

What's wrong with the events in Death Note going crazy? I liked it when the events went crazy.
    dynastygal

Death Note WFmvl

: Female
     Rep0

Post by dynastygal November 1st 2010, 1:51 pm

One of my top anime series. Even dad likes it and he's not really into anime.
    Kishon
    Kishon

Death Note WFmvl

Rep0

Post by Kishon November 14th 2010, 7:25 pm

Death Note is the kind of anime that can be summed up in 2 words: Xanatos Roulette.

Every action made by Light and L/Near is just relying on the psychological impact of that action to further their plans. All the advanced thinking that requires insane levels of foresight is what makes this one of the most interesting anime ever.
    karkooshy
    karkooshy

Death Note Imagee10

Death Note Medalg10

Rep9

Post by karkooshy November 15th 2010, 6:52 pm

I've watched just above 25 episodes this week, so here's my opinion:

The show is great. Definitely one of the better anime's out there. That's mainly because most suspense isn't the cause of some epic physical fight or anything... it's all in the mind. And the developers really thought it through... most the episode is you hearing people thinking.
    This gives it a unique feel.
    The characters are also deep with reasonable motivations. (I was however disappointed when L died =/... he kept the show interesting...).

Light is way too evil. Way too evil. The first thought that comes up to his mind when he tries to avoid a problem is to kill some body. He actually openly threatens to kill others... Strangely, there is no mention that the Death Note has some sort of possessive power over the user. So what Light was doing was all himself...
    In the beginning of the show he seemed so innocent, likewise when he lost his memory after relinquishing the note. What's weird was that when all his memories came back to him (after touching the note) so did his motivation to kill L and his lust for power. If you remembered something you wanted to do (and if the circumstances change) that doesn't necessarily mean you'd want to continue on and do it. His memories may have returned, but his 'principles' -as he calls them- should have remained.

I also hate it how I can't remember any of the character names xD
    They could've picked simpler names :P

Aside from the above points, which aren't really justifiable as I haven't finished watching, I think this is a great show and I am enjoying it :)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content