RidersDX
Doodle
Jmh
Stranger
NeoMetalSonic
Phantom
Sonic Adventure 2
11 posters

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more?

Poll

Which game is better?

[ 5 ]
    Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Bar_le1150%Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Bar_ri11 [50%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Bar_le1150%Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Bar_ri11 [50%] 

Total Votes: 10
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Kz2PK

: Male
     Rep7

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Empty Which game changed the Sonic franchise more?

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 January 24th 2011, 3:54 pm

I say SA2, I think it really made the best of Sonic. As much as Sonic 3 and Knuckles brought us Knuckles, SA2 brought us Shadow. Both are major turning points in the franchise, I just see SA2 in a better position. Timing needs to also be put into perspective.
    Phantom
    Phantom

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? VOZLn

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medal13

Rep11

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Empty Re: Which game changed the Sonic franchise more?

Post by Phantom January 24th 2011, 5:39 pm

I wouldn't necessarily say that they changed the series because of the addition of new characters, but new ideas. True, SA2 did craft a story with two sides, and it was certainly interesting to play as the villains for a change, but the ending didn't exactly find me well (the BioLizard). Also as far as timing goes, SA2 was the last hurrah for Sonic on a Sega console, and things have not been the same since then.

With S3&K, it was delivered at the height of a different time for Sonic, and the notion of an expansion to a console game was a new thing at the time. Suddenly a game with six levels doubled in size, and more so with Knuckles' levels tailor-made just for him.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Imagee10

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Blackr10Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medalw11Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Zigzag10Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? White10Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medal13Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medalg10

Rep35

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Empty Re: Which game changed the Sonic franchise more?

Post by NeoMetalSonic January 24th 2011, 10:15 pm

None of these
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 January 25th 2011, 7:05 am

^I forgot to make that an option, sorry.
    Stranger
    Stranger

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? WFmvl

Rep1

Post by Stranger January 26th 2011, 11:45 pm

Neither of the two. I know it's not an option but I'd say that Colors brings a better direction towards 3D Sonic games. While I believe Advance 1 works best for 2D. Play it if you haven't already.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medalw11Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? White10Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh January 26th 2011, 11:46 pm

3&K. SA2 just made things a little worse.
    Doodle
    Doodle

Rep5

Post by Doodle January 26th 2011, 11:59 pm

Jmh wrote:3&K. SA2 just made things a little worse.
    CUE FANRAEG!
    Jmh
    Jmh

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medalw11Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? White10Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh January 27th 2011, 12:00 am

Suspicious Bush wrote:
    Jmh wrote:3&K. SA2 just made things a little worse.
    CUE FANRAEG!
    What? Do people hate S3&K or something?
    Doodle
    Doodle

Rep5

Post by Doodle January 27th 2011, 12:01 am

Jmh wrote:
    Suspicious Bush wrote:
    CUE FANRAEG!
    What? Do people hate S3&K or something?
    I was referring to the latter sentence.
    RidersDX
    RidersDX

Rep0

Post by RidersDX January 27th 2011, 1:26 pm

I'd say Sonic Adventure 2 as it implemented lots of new ideas and yeah, I admit I'm a little bias when it comes to Sonic Adventure 2. =P Best game ever.
    Plix
    Plix

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? VOZLn

Rep13

Post by Plix January 27th 2011, 3:20 pm

Sonic 3 & Knuckles. SA2 didn't really add much from SA, save Rouge and Shadow, who negatively impacted the series in my opinion. Just copycats of Sonic and Knuckles.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 January 28th 2011, 11:18 pm

RidersDX wrote:I'd say Sonic Adventure 2 as it implemented lots of new ideas and yeah, I admit I'm a little bias when it comes to Sonic Adventure 2. =P Best game ever.
    I completely agree.

And as much as SA2 follows SA, Sonic 3 and Knuckles follows Sonic 2 (to base an argument on this makes no sense imo). Shadow and Rouge have completely different personalities than Sonic and Knuckles. Also, Rouge later earned to fly (something Knuckles can't do), thus making her more like Tails ability wise (but still completely different personality). This is in reference to the above poster.

I liked Sonic 3 and Knuckles, great game for Knux. But I liked Sonic 2 better. And I liked SA2 even more. SA2 just happened to bring Shadow and since then Knuckles' impact has lessened.
    Nuva
    Nuva

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medalw11Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medal13

Rep20

Post by Nuva January 30th 2011, 6:47 pm

I liked both games, although I liked S3&K a little more. However, I don't see how S3&K was a turning point, so much as just a really good game. I would also think Sonic Adventure (1) would be more of a turning point as it was the transition from 2D to 3D (which some might say wasn't necessarily a good thing, but whatever).
    Chaosmaster8753
    Chaosmaster8753

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Blackr10

Rep0

Post by Chaosmaster8753 February 23rd 2011, 5:05 pm

I think Sonic 2 might've done more to change the series than 3 & Knuckles.
    Schismatist
    Schismatist

Rep0

Post by Schismatist February 23rd 2011, 5:46 pm

Lol, Sonic 3 and Knuckles is better BY FAR. Not only does Sonic 3 and Knuckles preform its gimmicks much better(Instead of having characters play entirely different from the core style, they play similar to the core style but with their own little twist), Sonic Adventure 2, because of the tedious treasure hunting, the boring mech shooting levels, the ear rape rap music, and last but certainly not least, it's amount of praise. Sonic Adventure 2 is by far the most overrated Sonic, even more overrated than Sonic 3 and Knuckles.
    NeoMetalSonic wrote:None of these
    Yes, Sonic Adventure probably made the biggest impact, despite my disliking for the game. Granted Sonic 06 made a big impact as well, not in a good way though.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Blackr10Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medalw11Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Zigzag10Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? White10Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medal13Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic February 23rd 2011, 6:28 pm

Schismatist wrote:Lol, Sonic 3 and Knuckles is better BY FAR. Not only does Sonic 3 and Knuckles preform its gimmicks much better(Instead of having characters play entirely different from the core style, they play similar to the core style but with their own little twist), Sonic Adventure 2, because of the tedious treasure hunting, the boring mech shooting levels, the ear rape rap music, and last but certainly not least, it's amount of praise. Sonic Adventure 2 is by far the most overrated Sonic, even more overrated than Sonic 3 and Knuckles.
    Yes, Sonic Adventure probably made the biggest impact, despite my disliking for the game. Granted Sonic 06 made a big impact as well, not in a good way though.
    This man deserve a medal
    Nuva
    Nuva

Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medalw11Which game changed the Sonic franchise more? Medal13

Rep20

Post by Nuva February 23rd 2011, 6:39 pm

Schismatist, you have to understand that almost all of that was opinion based. I liked the treasure hunt levels, and the shooting stages weren't that bad. But even if I absolutely adored the shooting and treasure hunt levels, it wouldn't matter, that's just my opinion. However, if the game has received a large amount of praise, it's probably (although not always) simply because a lot of people liked the game, which means that it couldn't of been all that terrible.
    As for Sonic 3&K being overrated, I would like you to elaborate on that one. I kinda want to know why someone is bashing my favorite Sonic game >_> Sorry...
    Schismatist
    Schismatist

Rep0

Post by Schismatist February 24th 2011, 8:56 pm

Schismatist, you have to understand that almost all of that was opinion based.
    Yes, this is a forum, people shouldn't come here to state facts, that'd be hilarious.
    I liked the treasure hunt levels, and the shooting stages weren't that bad. But even if I absolutely adored the shooting and treasure hunt levels, it wouldn't matter, that's just my opinion.

Exactly, your opinion. And that was my opinion.
    However, if the game has received a large amount of praise, it's probably (although not always) simply because a lot of people liked the game, which means that it couldn't of been all that terrible.
    I don't think Adventure 2 is terrible, but it certainly has flaws that some people just simply deny for no good reason. My guess is because Sonic Adventure 2 is just a more presentable, should I say, "figure" than other 3D games because of its Sonic gameplay and the great story.
    As for Sonic 3&K being overrated, I would like you to elaborate on that one. I kinda want to know why someone is bashing my favorite Sonic game >_> Sorry...
    Sonic 3 and Knuckles is my 2nd favorite Sonic game. I don't hate it, but some people blindly consider it "The best" because it's well, the same case as Sonic Adventure 2, it's more presentable. Perhaps I'm just tired of not seeing a 2D game that can actually stand up against Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Not counting Sonic 2.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 February 24th 2011, 9:09 pm

Schismatist wrote:Lol, Sonic 3 and Knuckles is better BY FAR. Not only does Sonic 3 and Knuckles preform its gimmicks much better(Instead of having characters play entirely different from the core style, they play similar to the core style but with their own little twist), Sonic Adventure 2, because of the tedious treasure hunting, the boring mech shooting levels, the ear rape rap music, and last but certainly not least, it's amount of praise. Sonic Adventure 2 is by far the most overrated Sonic, even more overrated than Sonic 3 and Knuckles.
    I enjoy the treasure hunting. I admit it does get old, but it's pretty neat. The shooting levels were also fun, and the rap music was okay. But what I loved the most about SA2 was that it had a story, and a coherent logical story.

3D style is also different from 2D, so game has to lend itself to being different (gimmicks weren't involved as much). At least this is my feeling about it.

I can understand if you find it overrated. That's fine with me if you didn't like it. However, on a separate 2D scale (I separate the 3D and 2D games as different scenarios) I find Sonic 3 and Knuckles a much less exciting game than Sonic 2. Sonic 2 had more of an impact on me, but then again, no 2D game had as much impact as Sonic Adventure 2 did (to me anyway). But in all honesty, I prefer Rush Adventure to Sonic 3.

I like Sonic 3, don't get me wrong, it's just not my favorite. Certainly not my least favorite game though.
    Nuva
    Nuva

Rep20

Post by Nuva February 24th 2011, 9:40 pm

You're right, I suppose opinions are called for here. I think what I meant is you saying it's overrated because of your opinions. Whatever, doesn't matter.

Back on topic, while I favored Sonic 3 over 2, I think mostly because of the ability to save, level select, and hyper sonic, Sonic 2 I believe changed the franchise more simply because it added the first additional character as well as spindash, Sonic's iconic attack (aside from the more recent homing attack).

I would also like to point out Sonic 2006's affect on the franchise. Starting from that game, the 3D games have become less platform orientated and more focused on speed and more speed. While the game itself may not of been the best in the series, its influence can be linked to better new ones, like Colors (albeit Colors has cut back the speed a little for more platforming).
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 February 26th 2011, 10:02 pm

nuva500 wrote:You're right, I suppose opinions are called for here. I think what I meant is you saying it's overrated because of your opinions. Whatever, doesn't matter.

Back on topic, while I favored Sonic 3 over 2, I think mostly because of the ability to save, level select, and hyper sonic, Sonic 2 I believe changed the franchise more simply because it added the first additional character as well as spindash, Sonic's iconic attack (aside from the more recent homing attack).

I would also like to point out Sonic 2006's affect on the franchise. Starting from that game, the 3D games have become less platform orientated and more focused on speed and more speed. While the game itself may not of been the best in the series, its influence can be linked to better new ones, like Colors (albeit Colors has cut back the speed a little for more platforming).

While I don't care for Sonic 2006, I do appreciate the platform genre more than the speed 3D. I wish they'd bring it back. they let one game get them in the hole there.
    Schismatist
    Schismatist

Rep0

Post by Schismatist February 26th 2011, 10:04 pm

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:
    nuva500 wrote:You're right, I suppose opinions are called for here. I think what I meant is you saying it's overrated because of your opinions. Whatever, doesn't matter.

While I don't care for Sonic 2006, I do appreciate the platform genre more than the speed 3D. I wish they'd bring it back. they let one game get them in the hole there.
    Speed and platforming should be mixed, my good friend momentum, who lives within the classic Sonic games made it so Speed and Platforming could live in harmony.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 February 26th 2011, 10:07 pm

Schismatist wrote:
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:

Speed and platforming should be mixed, my good friend momentum, who lives within the classic Sonic games made it so Speed and Platforming could live in harmony.

I agree to a certain extent. You're right. I prefer more platforming, but seeing how Sonic is speed, they should be mixed. But throwing a werehog in the game as a platformer isn't the answer. I'd rather have the original Sonic do both. I'm more of a platformer though, but this is just me.
    Schismatist
    Schismatist

Rep0

Post by Schismatist February 26th 2011, 10:34 pm

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:
    Schismatist wrote:

I agree to a certain extent. You're right. I prefer more platforming, but seeing how Sonic is speed, they should be mixed. But throwing a werehog in the game as a platformer isn't the answer. I'd rather have the original Sonic do both. I'm more of a platformer though, but this is just me.
    No no no, I fully agree, Sonic Colors, I think, defines Sonic gameplay. It's only problem is its lack of platforming in 3D areas.
    Nuva
    Nuva

Rep20

Post by Nuva February 27th 2011, 12:56 am

I like to think that Colors makes a fine combination as well. I kinda like running fast in the 3D portions, yet they're short enough that you don't get tired of them (at least I never did). If the next game is as good (or even better) then Colors then I think Sonic is back on his feet, as it were.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content