The ancient lands.

+2
The Freedom Fighter
6 posters

Game in Spotlight

Game in Spotlight  VOZLn

Game in Spotlight  Blackr10Game in Spotlight  Medal13Game in Spotlight  Medalw11

: Male
     Rep33

Game in Spotlight  Empty Game in Spotlight

Post by 84 November 28th 2011, 8:15 pm

GAME
    IN
    SPOTLIGHT!
    This title looks horrid but deal with it.

What's this you ask? What is your favourite member babbling about? Well kiddies, I (and hopefully others who fill in after I get lazy) will be showcasing and reviewing the good, bad, new, and old games Santa brings us during the night. Game in Spotlight will be a place you can check for unbiased reviews on games and hopefully a way for you to find the hidden gems among the shovelware pack.

Upcoming Reviews
    Here I'll post what games I plan to review and the year they originally released in North America.
    Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (1997)
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
    Kingdom Hearts (2002)
    Mario's Picross (1995)

Reviews might not be done in the listed order.

Completed Reviews
    Here I'll list what games have already been reviewed among with links to their specific posts.
    Super Mario Bros. (1985)
    Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
    Tales of Vesperia (2008)

Last edited by Supersonic84 on December 3rd 2011, 9:18 pm; edited 9 times in total

Game in Spotlight  VOZLn

Game in Spotlight  Blackr10Game in Spotlight  Medal13Game in Spotlight  Medalw11

Rep33

Game in Spotlight  Empty Super Mario Bros. Review

Post by 84 November 28th 2011, 9:10 pm

Let's start with a classic.

Game in Spotlight  Super_Mario_Bros._box
    SUPER MARIO BROS.
    Originally Released: September 13th, 1985
    Originally Published For: Nintendo Entertainment System

Game in Spotlight  SuperMarioBrothersTitle
    IT'S-A-ME! MARIO!
    I honestly doubt any of us here have never played Super Mario Bros. before, if you actually haven't played it good for you, now go shoot yourself. Now there probably aren't many (or any) members here who played Super Mario Bros. when it was first released but I'm sure a lot of us have some memories of playing the game at some point in our lives.

Run, Jump, Get those Shrooms!
    We can all agree that the formula of the original Mario games was extremely simple, hold right, jump turtles, grab flowers but that's what made it so great. It's always spirit-crushing when you're rushing through a level and you don't time a jump properly ramming yourself right into a pit or a goomba. A GOOMBA. As Super Mario Bros has few glitches that affect how you play, dying because you hit a goomba should be a great reminder that you are the definition of suck.

Game in Spotlight  1124854-hammer_bros_super
    Is it really that hard to avoid those hammers?
    Yes. Well no, those damn hammer bros. can be an annoying pain but overall the enemies in Super Mario Bros. are rather helpless. The game certainly doesn't have the difficulty we get to see in later instalments such as The Lost Levels but as I stated above being over-confident about your playing ability can tend to lead you to your own meaningless demise. Now to talk about those 'bosses', yeah I mean bowser at every castle doing the exact same thing every single time. The guy stands on a damn bridge over lava, what the hell does he think is going to happen... so once again, no difficulty but you sucking here. Overall, the game isn't too difficult and the bosses are jokes but do be cocky and you will become blooper feed.

DU DU DU DU DU DU... DU!
    Well if you didn't just read that in the tune of the song then you win! Don't get too happy though, medals aren't handed out for every stupid accomplishment contrary to what modern video games have led us to believe. Anyways, if it hasn't been evident to you yet this paragraph is about the music, since I'm typing all this filler you can expect there isn't too much to talk about. Sure the music is one of the most rememberable things about the original Super Mario Bros. and the sound you get by grabbing a 1-up always makes you smile but there are only a few hundreds of times you can hear the overworld theme without wanting to kick a baby

Game in Spotlight  Super_Mario_Logo
    The brothers become SUPER!
    As much as the original Super Mario Bros. is rememberable and an overall great game, it is the first of an amazing series that got better and better as time went by. Super Mario Bros. is a simple game with a lack of bosses, difficulty, and music but it left behind a strong legacy for platforming games and set the stage for the following Super Mario games that perfected it's faults.

9.5/10
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Game in Spotlight  ZtZYh

Game in Spotlight  Blackr10Game in Spotlight  Medalw11Game in Spotlight  Zigzag10Game in Spotlight  White10Game in Spotlight  Medal13Game in Spotlight  2nio02t

Rep76

Game in Spotlight  Empty Re: Game in Spotlight

Post by The Freedom Fighter November 29th 2011, 6:34 pm

I'm pretty sure I played the SNES version; it was alright.

Good review, keep it up!
    Techimo
    Techimo

Game in Spotlight  VOZLn

Game in Spotlight  Medal13Game in Spotlight  Medalw11

Rep15

Post by Techimo November 30th 2011, 1:08 pm

I can't believe I'm going to say this but... Nice review!
    Hushimo
    Hushimo

Game in Spotlight  GOMM8

Game in Spotlight  Medal13

Rep38

Post by Hushimo December 1st 2011, 9:28 pm

That was more entertaining for me than anything I've done in the past week (granted, that's not a difficult feat), well done.

Game in Spotlight  VOZLn

Rep33

Game in Spotlight  Empty Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) Review

Post by 84 December 2nd 2011, 8:09 pm

Thanks for the early comments guys.

A very well known and criticized title for today.

Game in Spotlight  Sonic_the_hedgehog_next-gen_box_art
    Sonic The Hedgehog
    Originally Released: Xbox 360: November 14th 2006,
    PS3: January 30th 2007
    Originally Published For: Xbox 360, PS3

Sonic the Hedgehog? Isn’t that a genesis game?
    To this day I do not understand the logic behind reusing the same name as the Genesis classic. Sure it would have made some sense if Sonic 06 was a sidescroller game true to the originals or even a whole new reboot for the sonic series but as a (semi)sequel to the adventure games this is not the case. Now, there is usually a question that arises when a review for Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 pops up, especially this long after the game released, that question is does the game suck? There is not a straight answer to this question but my best way to sum it up would be to say, even though the game has many faults it isn’t as many reviewers slam it “a bad game”.

Game in Spotlight  Loading
    Glitched out, to the MAX!
    In most if not all reviews of Sonic 06 the mention of glitches comes up. The truth is the game is filled with them, and some can actually screw you over while others are only ‘minor’ things such as Sonic defying gravity. Though if you actually play through the game not thinking it’s that bad and not searching for those glitches you shouldn’t really notice any of them besides a select few. Apart from the glitches horrible animations also stagger the game. The shoddy animation isn’t just apparent in the cutscenes (I’ll get to those later) but in the gameplay itself, Sonic’s model as a whole looks terrible and some of his action moves make no sense such as him falling head first and at the last moment landing on his feet. Long and frequent loading times are probably the worst part of 06, really you enter a loading screen, get control to accept a mission, and then enter the following loading screen.

Poorly done cutscenes tell a poorly done tale.
    The majority of cutscenes in 06 are to say the least, horrendous. The character models are bad, the script is bad, and there is no real character development whatsoever. On the other hand, the CGI cutscenes such as in the beginning and ending of the game are of actual good quality and do not suffer from the bad character models. Regarding the script, as many of you should know Sonic Team was rushed by Sega to get the game out on time but they still inexcusably churned out the cheesiest and dumbest storyline in video game history. Some of the major points in the game did have an okay plot line as those most likely got worked on longer than the majority yet just before the final boss (at this point in time on a Sonic forum I don’t care about spoiling the game) the character of Princess Elise kisses Sonic to bring him back to life. Yeah stop right there, no matter how strained their time frame was they could’ve come up with a much better way to bring him back to life, the chaos emeralds alone should have been said to be enough to bring him back but they just had to squish in some inter-species lovemakin’.

Game in Spotlight  Psychokinesis
    Introducing.... another hedehog.
    Well now that I got past most of the negative aspects of Sonic 06 I can go on to the positive. The gameplay as a whole can be enjoyed with the only trouble being that it is difficult to stay moving in a straight line. For sonic fans this shouldn’t really be anything to grief about since the Adventure games all had the problem of being wobbly before getting to the character’s top speed. The new character of Silver the Hedgehog is obviously not the most original thing (he was originally supposed to be another animal but was changed in development) but he is still tolerable. Much of Silver’s hate must stem from him spawning in one of the most critically hated games of all time which is unfortunate since the idea of him isn’t actually that bad. The use of Silver’s ESP was actually one of the freshest things about 06, even though it was annoyingly unresponsive at times it was cool being able to catch bullets and fling them back at enemies when it chose to work. Among Sonic and Silver the fan-favourite Shadow makes a return as a playable character. This time Sonic Team actually chose to make Shadow’s gameplay different than Sonic’s, sadly it ended up feeling like unneeded filler. In Shadow’s story you basically go through the levels finding vehicles you don’t want to drive as you proceed to awesomely raise hell (not really, you crash into an invisible wall most of the time), this ended up causing more frustration and more flaws for the game. Despite the filler the gameplay isn’t really affected by bugs or glitches and I actually managed to find myself enjoying two of the three campaign modes.

THE IBLIS TRIGGER!
    Throughout the game there isn’t much difficulty thrown at you besides the bosses being incredibly cheap. Enemies pose little to no threat as the game goes on and you will only really get hit if you aren’t paying attention or Silver’s ESP fails to cooperate. The majority of stage design was pulled off quite well and the later levels did have some tricky puzzles to think about even if they were based on being cheap. Sadly, the bosses have inconsistent quality wavering from bland and cheap to cool designs and well... cheap. The best designs came from Eggman’s ships which all tended to be nicely detailed but the worst designs came from the Iblis whose fiery appearance made it near impossible for details to be found. One of the things Sonic Team is said to always do right no matter what is the music, Sonic 06 happily keeps true to those words. Sonic the Hedgehog’s orchestrated tracks range from awesome to outstanding to AMAZING and help keep you from noticing Sonic’s tendency to defy gravity. Also, the main theme of ‘His World’ fits what the game tried to achieve very well and it is certainly a welcome addition to the series’ well-received vocalized tracks.

Game in Spotlight  800px-SonicEliseKiss
    Live and Learn
    It would be wrong to say Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 is an amazing game, but it would also be incorrect to judge it as a terrible one. Now yes the game does have glitches, bugs, and the occasional human to hedgehog spit swapping but Sonic Team was rushed in the development process, they didn’t really get time to refine the script, test for glitches and bugs, or realize nothing about the ending could have been good for them. That said, the game is not at all unplayable and if you are fine without being Oscar the Grouch for one day you might actually enjoy yourself. The good parts of the story are quite intriguing, the actual gameplay has very few bugs, and the game’s soundtrack is completely solid, this game isn’t actually the worst thing since “your life” or Superman64. After trying to be fair and considering what this game actually deserves as a score I realized a number doesn’t really mean anything, but for you people who like to hear things out of ten I award Sonic the Hedgehog an honest...

7/10
    Nnoitra Hushimo
    Nnoitra Hushimo

Game in Spotlight  56qtD

Game in Spotlight  Medal13Game in Spotlight  Medalw11Game in Spotlight  Medalg10

Rep35

Post by Nnoitra Hushimo December 2nd 2011, 8:28 pm

A very accurate, yet honest review. I like it! I've played it myself also, and like you said, it's not as bad as people say it is, just a couple of minor bugs and glitches.
    Also, I hate beastiality.
    Light Dash
    Light Dash

Game in Spotlight  GOMM8

Game in Spotlight  Blackr10Game in Spotlight  Medal13Game in Spotlight  2nio02t

Rep3

Post by Light Dash December 3rd 2011, 12:55 am

Game in Spotlight  ToV_Cover

Tales of Vesperia

Platform: Xbox360
    Released on:

August 7th, 2008(JP)
    August 26th, 2008(NA)
    June 26th, 2009(EU)

Tales of what?
    This is a game I'm sure few of you have heard of, and even fewer of you have actually played. Tales of Vesperia is an excellent JRPG that is part of a long running series. The series itself (each game begins with "Tales of")isn't very well known, especially when compared with other big names such as Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, and Kingdom Hearts. However, while often overlooked, the Tales series is like a needle in a haystack, a diamond in the rough, or even a Chick-fil-A amongst a sea of McDonald's.

Congratulations! Your ears aren't bleeding!
    One of the first things you'll notice when you start up the game is there is voice acting (and quite a bit of it). But wait, what's this? It's not bad? No, it's not. This game has excellent voice acting. While horrible voice acting often plagues video games of today, Tales of Vesperia sets quite an example. The voices of the characters convey the tone of the situation and liven up the game as a whole. Almost every scene of the main quest (and a few important sidequests)are voiced. Additionally, party members often converse amongst each other in skits (a series staple). Skits are fully voiced, and discussion ranges from plot events, the acquisition of new skills, and even cooking. Unfortunately, there are a handful of scenes from the main quest that are not voiced. Despite this, the voice acting is excellent all around and is a major plus.

Game in Spotlight  Tales_of_vesperia_screenshot
    So what about that Chick-fil-A?
    Here's where Tales of Vesperia breaks away from traditional RPG's (especially Final Fantasy)and really shines. It's the battle system. You're thrust into your very first battle and expect your typical turn based fights, right? You couldn't be any more wrong. Battles are fast paced, real time, and awesome. When entering battle, you'll find yourself on a 3D plain. You'll perform everything (attacking, guarding, using items, etc.)in real time. But here's the best part: artes. Think of artes as your special attacks (not the super duper ultimate ones)in fighting games like Tekken or Street Fighter. You're given a set amount of TP (akin to MP)and may perform artes until you run out. Now, you probably remember how much of a pain it is to run out of MP in your typical RPG. Well, in Tales of Vesperia, all you've got to do to replenish your TP is use your standard attack. As you level up, you'll gain more artes, and as with all RPG's, you'll also change your equipment. Each weapon in the game will have a certain skill associated with it. After battling enough with the weapon, you'll acquire the skill and be able to use it without the related item. Seems like a lot, right? Well, there's even more. Combat progressively becomes more flexible as more battle elements are piled onto you. With overlimit (allows infinite attack chains), to fatal strikes (allows you to finish an enemy in one hit), burst artes (stronger artes), and mystic artes(your super duper attack), battles will never become dull. Furthermore, almost every boss is assigned a "Secret Mission." These can involve attacking your opponent when left open, or using the battlefield to your advantage. For completing these missions you received extra rewards at the end of battle. Adding to the fun, up to four people can play cooperatively at the same time. As you get further and further towards the end of the game, you'll feel more and more like a badass as you pull off longer and more intense combos. With such a dynamic battle system, this is one area of the game that will most likely never get dull.

Game in Spotlight  Vesperia-characters
    Gotta save the world!
    Being what it is, Tales of Vesperia can't really be expected to deviate drastically from the typical threatened world scenario. However, the plot itself is very nice. The game is in three big pieces, and each time you beat the boss of a chapter, you feel like you've gotten rid of the main antagonist. However, sometimes the plot strays into the world of technobabble, and can be hard to follow if you're not completely attentive. The motive of the final boss can even seem silly, even a bit dumb. While the plot can be a bit silly at times, it's very solid for the most part. To accompany a solid plot is a vibrant and lively cast. One of the first things you'll notice is that the main protagonist, Yuri Lowell, is much older than your run-of-the-mill hero. Shying from the typical whiny teenager who grows up over the adventure, Yuri changes very little, as he is comfortable with who he is. Yuri, combined with the other six party members, create a cast that has that feeling of being a family. As the story progresses, you may even become interested in what happens to each of them in the end.

So much to do, so much to see.
    Although Tales of Vesperia can be beaten in under fifteen hours, it is a fairly extensive game. You'll most likely clock in between forty and sixty hours your first time through. There are tons of sidequests for you to do as you play through the main quest. While some of these quests are mundane, others will be more useful, providing new artes, skills, bosses, and even dungeons. Once you've beaten the game, you may notice that EX New Game has appeared on the title screen. In addition to post game content, a new game plus is also included. After battles, you'll earn Grade based on performance. You can use this to buy extras for your new game plus. This includes, but is not limited to retention of money and items, retention of skills, a harder difficulty, and EXP multipliers. Although you've played through the game once already, there's probably a lot of things that you missed. Despite being long, a second playthrough(or even more than that)may be required to experience everything the game offers.

Wrap up
    The games in the Tales series typically go unnoticed and are quite often overlooked, and Tales of Vesperia is no different. Despite its solid gameplay, other games are often chosen over it. If you're looking for a good RPG, this is a good choice for you. On the other hand, if you're looking to jump into the RPG genre, this would be an excellent place to start.

The Good
    • Battle System
    • Solid Voice Acting
    • Lengthy Main Quest Coupled With Bountiful Sidequests
    • A Lively, Entertaining Cast

The Bad
    • Several Main Quests Scenes Unvoiced
    • Occasional Silliness Within The Story

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content