Zez
NeoMetalSonic
The Freedom Fighter
11 posters

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation

The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation ZtZYh

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Blackr10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medalw11Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Zigzag10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation White10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medal13Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation 2nio02t

: Male
     Rep76

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Empty Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation

Post by The Freedom Fighter June 17th 2012, 8:43 pm

http://www.gamezone.com/editorials/top-5-franchises-that-helped-shape-this-console-generation/1

Not sure I agree with all the choices, at least one or two. What about all of you?

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation VOZLn

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Blackr10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medal13Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medalw11

Rep33

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Empty Re: Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation

Post by 84 June 17th 2012, 9:21 pm

Halo?

Are they... serious? No, they must be joking... or just really stupid...
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Imagee10

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Blackr10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medalw11Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Zigzag10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation White10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medal13Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medalg10

Rep35

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Empty Re: Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation

Post by NeoMetalSonic June 17th 2012, 9:24 pm

Halo invented the FPS genre man
    It's like they created video games today
    Zez
    Zez

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Blackr10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medalw11Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Zigzag10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez June 17th 2012, 9:51 pm

For us lazies:

5: Assassin's Creed
    4: Halo
    3: Uncharted
    2: Batman
    1: Mario Galaxy

Batman? Yes. Uncharted? Yeah. The rest? No...
    Schnickelfritz
    Schnickelfritz

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation White10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medalg10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medal13Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medalw11

Rep34

Post by Schnickelfritz June 17th 2012, 10:01 pm

Without looking at the list, I'd say Mario, LoZ, some FPS franchise, Final Famtasy, and Sonic.
    Zez
    Zez

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Blackr10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medalw11Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Zigzag10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez June 21st 2012, 8:27 pm

Final Famtasy indeed.
    Jmh
    Jmh

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medalw11Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation White10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh June 21st 2012, 8:36 pm

Where's Mass Effect?
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez June 21st 2012, 8:43 pm

I guess using a completely original and unique gameplay design isn't enough to shape a generation.

But uh-oh, putting someone in the first person perspective of a shooter is an untapped resource.
    iHawk
    iHawk

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation 3qll2

Rep15

Post by iHawk June 21st 2012, 9:25 pm

Halo.
    inFamous.
    Super Mario Galaxy.
    The first racing/car game to come out for HD's, can't remember the name.
    Uncharted.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez June 21st 2012, 9:41 pm

Gran Turismo? Forza? Those are the only two notably decent racing franchises in recent years.

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Blackr10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medal13Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medalw11

Rep33

Post by 84 June 21st 2012, 9:47 pm

Zez wrote:Gran Turismo? Forza? Those are the only two notably decent racing franchises in recent years.

Except Mario Kart is better and more entertaining than both those series.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez June 21st 2012, 9:47 pm

Sir, you time trial for nostalgia goggles is up, you can take them off now.

Rep33

Post by 84 June 21st 2012, 9:48 pm

What? These old things? I came in with them!
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez June 21st 2012, 9:54 pm

They're pretty heavily tinted.
    SpeedyBlueDude
    SpeedyBlueDude

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation GOMM8

Rep4

Post by SpeedyBlueDude June 30th 2012, 1:32 am

I'm confused as to How Batman and Mario Galaxy made the list.

They didn't start or do anything notable, aside from being good.

They didn't advance, or do anything that helped this generation. The generation didnt change beause of them.
    Schnickelfritz
    Schnickelfritz

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation White10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medalg10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medal13Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medalw11

Rep34

Post by Schnickelfritz June 30th 2012, 2:02 pm

Zez wrote:Final Famtasy indeed.

F'in iPad keyboard.
    Plix
    Plix

Rep13

Post by Plix July 1st 2012, 12:49 am

Wow. Typical lame list. I haven't kept up this generation, nor do I own any consoles, but I'm sure there are more generation defining games than Halo, Mario, or Batman. The other two I don't know enough about.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez July 6th 2012, 1:42 am

What's so wrong with Batman, again? It did prove licensed games can work, and Amazing Spider-Man is proof that other companies will invest large sums of money to emulate its formula.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Blackr10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medalw11Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Zigzag10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation White10Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Medal13Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter July 6th 2012, 3:16 am

Spider-Man already proved licensed games could work. Silly Batman just proved it could be done outside of Spider-Man.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez July 6th 2012, 3:18 am

That's not hard to do considering Spider-Man's only had 2 decent games out of a dozen plus.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter July 6th 2012, 3:19 am

Actually a lot more.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez July 6th 2012, 3:35 am

More what? Games in total, or decent ones?
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter July 6th 2012, 3:53 am

Decent games. The PS1 games were decent, Spider-Man The Movie Game had great gameplay AND Spider Bowling. The second movie game is very loved, the third not so much, but the new games got a lot of good vibes. And I've heard Ultimate Spider-Man was good too.
    TrueBlue52
    TrueBlue52

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation Kz2PK

Rep5

Post by TrueBlue52 August 8th 2012, 7:02 pm

YES: Assassins creed was awesome. It had pretty good graphics, and you could move anywhere. It never gets old, to me. I just run around doing missions all the time whenever I get bored of my other games

YES: Halo I never played it. But I lost a ton of friends to this game. They got sucked in and I never saw them again. Too bad I don't have an X-Box.

NO: Uncharted Okay, the series was good. But it wasn't THAT good. I especially liked Uncharted 2, but it had nothing to do with the game. The plot was good, and I do like shooter games that last a few chapters. But I wouldn't say that it would be in the top 5.

NO: Batman - Arkham I like the game. I think I still have it. And its one of the first times I've gotten a chance to play as batman on any console. It was impressive. Top 10 definitely. Top 5, no.

Super Mario Galaxy I never played this game. I can't judge it because I never played it.

I feel like this list is missing out on so many games. For one, you can't make a list like this and only list 5 games.

Uncharted and Batman aren't even really complete franchises. There's a couple games. GOOD games but still.

There is more that goes into game making than just following the same old shoot and run tactics that go into every game. There has to be something brand new that makes the game worth listing.

Assassin's creed - You could move anywhere. Awesome.

Halo - My friends played online forever. There are not many games with online gameplay that is actually fun. It would help shape the future of online console gaming.

I would have added games like Grand Theft Auto because the steal-cars-and-shoot-people games are just so much fun. And that was kind of a new concept.

Mario's creators know a lot about gaming. It is colorful, and it is appropriate for all ages. Almost every game implements something new. Working with the wii remote is defintely something new. Though I am still not sure if Mario is the best game on the wii.

MushroomHedgehog
    MushroomHedgehog

Top 5 Franchises That Helped Shape This Console Generation WFmvl

Rep0

Post by MushroomHedgehog August 8th 2012, 11:56 pm

Halo was more of a game that shaped the previous generation, since it came out on the original Xbox. Unfortunately, Halo is given too much attention from Microsoft that I haven't heard any news about games that are incredibly underrated these days like Conker or Banjo-Kazooie.

I can't say whether those games indeed did help shape this generation of consoles, but I do know that several of them are amazing games of this generation, specifically #1 and #2.

The Freedom Fighter wrote:Decent games. The PS1 games were decent, Spider-Man The Movie Game had great gameplay AND Spider Bowling. The second movie game is very loved, the third not so much, but the new games got a lot of good vibes. And I've heard Ultimate Spider-Man was good too.

Oh man, I absolutely loved the Spider-Man games of the first two films back when I was growing up with my PS2. Spider-Man was where I started my geek life that I've become so proud of. I only wish I had those games for GameCube instead so I could still be playing them right now on my Wii. I want to think about getting the game based on the latest film to see if it's anything like those games.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content