*ShiningStar*
Hushimo HD
The Freedom Fighter
20 posters

Mentoring

The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Mentoring ZtZYh

Mentoring Blackr10Mentoring Medalw11Mentoring Zigzag10Mentoring White10Mentoring Medal13Mentoring 2nio02t

: Male
     Rep76

Mentoring Empty Mentoring

Post by The Freedom Fighter August 3rd 2012, 3:44 am

So as you may remember, Zezima made this idea: "Create group of users dedicated to helping new users acclimate to the forum environment and improve their posting habits. Would be rewarded."
    A grand idea with so many new members. But before this gets off the ground, we want to hear people's suggestions. So...suggest!
    Hushimo HD
    Hushimo HD

Mentoring VOZLn

Rep18

Mentoring Empty Re: Mentoring

Post by Hushimo HD August 3rd 2012, 4:28 am

Sounds like a good idea. But who would do it? I, for one would not mind. But what about other people?
    *ShiningStar*
    *ShiningStar*

Mentoring VOZLn

Mentoring Medal13

: Female
     Rep10

Post by *ShiningStar* August 3rd 2012, 4:40 am

Well I have a few ideas up my sleeve so here we go...

1. The Buddy System- Create a designated group of mentors who will be paired up with a new member. That mentor's job is to make sure that the new member is well situated with the rules and regulations. The mentor will also be there to talk and comfort the new member whenever the member needs it. The mentor will be like the new members first friend. They are there to make the new member shift into TSC much easier.

2. The Forum guide- This option is for mentors who want to help out new members get accustomed to the site, but do not necessarily want to be involved in every aspect of the new member's TSC life. The mentor will pretty much find any new member, introduce themselves and help the member get adjusted to the site. The forum guide is different from the Buddy system because, the Guide does not have to be the new members friend and there is no limit to how many new members the Guide can choose to mentor.

3. The Basic Mentor- This is just your regular mentor. Their job is to introduce themselves to the new members and give them a brief overview of the site. Unlike the other two options. The basic mentor's job is brief. It is not required for the mentor or the new member to become friends or even speak to each other after the new member has become accustomed to the site.

---------------------------------------------
    I also want to add a set of guidelines for the mentors.

1. All TSC rules apply at all times.

2. You must be respectful and be void of any warnings. Try not to be obscene or vulgar. The main job of the mentor is to provide someone for the new member to look up to.

3. You must be an active member. There is no point in trying to show someone around if you are not going to show up.

4. It is okay to resign from your position proven the new member turns out to be a trouble-making member. (Mainly applies to Opt 1 and 2) Just send a PM to any Admin with the subject "Mentor Resignation"

5. Take this position seriously. The way you treat new members will determine how TSC will be like in the future.

*If for some reason a moderator, admin, or any other TSC staff find a mentor to be unfit, they may relinquish the position immediately.

I do ot know if Mentors should be paid for being a mentor. I personally feel as if it should be a volunteer-based organization.
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

Mentoring VOZLn

Mentoring Medalw11Mentoring Zigzag10Mentoring White10Mentoring Medal13

Rep26

Post by Auflodern August 3rd 2012, 9:42 am

Instead of the mentoring thing, let's just make it easy for new members

Mentoring 2vkgdjp
    Schnickelfritz
    Schnickelfritz

Mentoring Imagee10

Mentoring White10Mentoring Medalg10Mentoring Medal13Mentoring Medalw11

Rep34

Post by Schnickelfritz August 3rd 2012, 10:04 am

I could be a mentor. Either that or we just never ever let any new members join ever again...
    Hushimo HD
    Hushimo HD

Mentoring VOZLn

Rep18

Post by Hushimo HD August 3rd 2012, 11:22 am

Schnickelfritz wrote:Either that or we just never ever let any new members join ever again...

I like that idea better. Can we do that instead?
    iHawk
    iHawk

Mentoring 3qll2

Rep15

Post by iHawk August 3rd 2012, 11:34 am

I really like this idea, it seems great. I've always wanted to be a mentor, hahahah

So I volunteer. But do we have to have been coming here for a certain amount of time to qualify? I hope not, because I'd really like to be one

EDIT: Just remembered, I actually am a mentor
    To like, 30 4-6th graders, ha
    sykog
    sykog

Mentoring Imagee10

Mentoring Blackr10Mentoring Medalw11Mentoring Medalg10Mentoring Zigzag10Mentoring Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog August 3rd 2012, 11:38 am

*ShiningStar* wrote:Well I have a few ideas up my sleeve so here we go...

1. The Buddy System- Create a designated group of mentors who will be paired up with a new member. That mentor's job is to make sure that the new member is well situated with the rules and regulations. The mentor will also be there to talk and comfort the new member whenever the member needs it. The mentor will be like the new members first friend. They are there to make the new member shift into TSC much easier.

2. The Forum guide- This option is for mentors who want to help out new members get accustomed to the site, but do not necessarily want to be involved in every aspect of the new member's TSC life. The mentor will pretty much find any new member, introduce themselves and help the member get adjusted to the site. The forum guide is different from the Buddy system because, the Guide does not have to be the new members friend and there is no limit to how many new members the Guide can choose to mentor.

3. The Basic Mentor- This is just your regular mentor. Their job is to introduce themselves to the new members and give them a brief overview of the site. Unlike the other two options. The basic mentor's job is brief. It is not required for the mentor or the new member to become friends or even speak to each other after the new member has become accustomed to the site.

2. You must be respectful and be void of any warnings. Try not to be obscene or vulgar. The main job of the mentor is to provide someone for the new member to look up to.

3. You must be an active member. There is no point in trying to show someone around if you are not going to show up.

4. It is okay to resign from your position proven the new member turns out to be a trouble-making member. (Mainly applies to Opt 1 and 2) Just send a PM to any Admin with the subject "Mentor Resignation"

5. Take this position seriously. The way you treat new members will determine how TSC will be like in the future.

*If for some reason a moderator, admin, or any other TSC staff find a mentor to be unfit, they may relinquish the position immediately.

I do ot know if Mentors should be paid for being a mentor. I personally feel as if it should be a volunteer-based organization.
    I like Option 2 the best. I seems, I dunno, kinda like it could be annoying, and 3, well, we already do that.
    *ShiningStar*
    *ShiningStar*

Mentoring VOZLn

Mentoring Medal13

Rep10

Post by *ShiningStar* August 3rd 2012, 11:49 am

sykog wrote:

I like Option 2 the best. I seems, I dunno, kinda like it could be annoying, and 3, well, we already do that.
    Allrighty then! We should wait for more members to request to join and see what they think about the options. Then we can wait for Zezima and Lan's opinion on the idea.
    PaytonBree
    PaytonBree

Mentoring GOMM8

Rep9

Post by PaytonBree August 3rd 2012, 1:10 pm

I think it's a good idea, but half the new members don't even talk at first so..
    Nnoitra Hushimo
    Nnoitra Hushimo

Mentoring 56qtD

Mentoring Medal13Mentoring Medalw11Mentoring Medalg10

Rep35

Post by Nnoitra Hushimo August 3rd 2012, 1:15 pm

I think option 2 would be good.
    *ShiningStar*
    *ShiningStar*

Mentoring VOZLn

Mentoring Medal13

Rep10

Post by *ShiningStar* August 3rd 2012, 2:26 pm

After you guys choose your option, please let me know if you are actually willing to volunteer. Don't be shy! The more mentors, the better!
    FourCartridge
    FourCartridge

Mentoring WFmvl

Rep1

Post by FourCartridge August 3rd 2012, 2:29 pm

Sure, why not? I don't have anything better to do. XD
    PaytonBree
    PaytonBree

Mentoring GOMM8

Rep9

Post by PaytonBree August 3rd 2012, 2:30 pm

*ShiningStar* wrote:After you guys choose your option, please let me know if you are actually willing to volunteer. Don't be shy! The more mentors, the better!

Option 2 is the best, and I'd be willing to mentor someone.
    Zezima
    Zezima
    Adeio Vasilia
    Adeio Vasilia

Mentoring Blackr10Mentoring White10Mentoring 2nio02t

Rep80

Post by Zezima August 3rd 2012, 2:33 pm

I support the idea of a volunteer-based system, and I'd rather that all mentors follow the same guidelines, not separate ones, so as to avoid confusion. I find the best compromise between the options is the following:

Mentorship:

• A designated group of mentors will be paired up with a new member. Their job is to introduce themselves to the new members and give them a brief overview of the site. They are to help out new members get accustomed to the site. The mentor will pretty much find any new member, introduce themselves and help the member get adjusted to the site.

• The mentor will also be there to talk and comfort the new member whenever the member needs it. The mentor will be like the new member's first friend. They are there to make the new member shift into TSC much easier.

Nnoitra Hushimo
    Nnoitra Hushimo

Mentoring 56qtD

Mentoring Medal13Mentoring Medalw11Mentoring Medalg10

Rep35

Post by Nnoitra Hushimo August 3rd 2012, 2:34 pm

Sure, I'll volunteer.
    PaytonBree
    PaytonBree

Mentoring GOMM8

Rep9

Post by PaytonBree August 3rd 2012, 2:35 pm

Sounds simple enough.
    Hushimo HD
    Hushimo HD

Mentoring VOZLn

Rep18

Post by Hushimo HD August 3rd 2012, 2:37 pm

Well as I have said. I'd be more than happy to be a mentor. After all; it's my job IRL to be nice to people who I haven't met and make them feel welcome.
    *ShiningStar*
    *ShiningStar*

Mentoring VOZLn

Mentoring Medal13

Rep10

Post by *ShiningStar* August 3rd 2012, 2:45 pm

Zezima wrote:I support the idea of a volunteer-based system, and I'd rather that all mentors follow the same guidelines, not separate ones, so as to avoid confusion. I find the best compromise between the options is the following:

Mentorship:

• A designated group of mentors will be paired up with a new member. Their job is to introduce themselves to the new members and give them a brief overview of the site. They are to help out new members get accustomed to the site. The mentor will pretty much find any new member, introduce themselves and help the member get adjusted to the site.

• The mentor will also be there to talk and comfort the new member whenever the member needs it. The mentor will be like the new member's first friend. They are there to make the new member shift into TSC much easier.

I did add a set of rules for the mentors to follow. I am not sure if I can say they are official but I do hope that everyone agrees on them and that they are not too overbearing.
    Zezima
    Zezima
    Adeio Vasilia
    Adeio Vasilia

Mentoring Blackr10Mentoring White10Mentoring 2nio02t

Rep80

Post by Zezima August 3rd 2012, 2:58 pm

The rules you gave should be a given anyhow, but since they reflect well enough on the official rules, I'll consider them something to refer to in the future. Thanks for your help in this.
    *ShiningStar*
    *ShiningStar*

Mentoring VOZLn

Mentoring Medal13

Rep10

Post by *ShiningStar* August 3rd 2012, 3:02 pm

Zezima wrote:The rules you gave should be a given anyhow, but since they reflect well enough on the official rules, I'll consider them something to refer to in the future. Thanks for your help in this.

No problem Captain! *salutes* Just doing my job as a Tescian! =D
    Anonymous

Post by Guest August 3rd 2012, 3:33 pm

Challenge accepted. I can be a mentor.

Mentoring VOZLn

Mentoring Blackr10Mentoring Medal13Mentoring Medalw11

Rep33

Post by 84 August 3rd 2012, 5:53 pm

I needed a good laugh.
    Schnickelfritz
    Schnickelfritz

Mentoring Imagee10

Mentoring White10Mentoring Medalg10Mentoring Medal13Mentoring Medalw11

Rep34

Post by Schnickelfritz August 3rd 2012, 6:42 pm

*raises hand in the style of that crappy book* I volunteer!
    SpeedyBlueDude
    SpeedyBlueDude

Mentoring GOMM8

Rep4

Post by SpeedyBlueDude August 3rd 2012, 10:47 pm

Zezima and Speedy's idea.

Sorry, have to take credit when It's do. and I'm definitely down for mentoring members. Count me in.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content