The ancient lands.

4 posters

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray

Shade
    Shade

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  VOZLn

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Medalw11 New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Zigzag10 New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Medal13

: Male
     Rep2

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Empty New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray

Post by Shade October 13th 2010, 1:04 pm

http://www.examiner.com/game-news-in-national/new-sony-laser-technology-20-times-better-than-blu-ray

There's a new type of laser technology which Sony are experimenting with. Apparently, it offers 20 times the capacity of Blu-ray discs. It's very interesting, and I look forward to seeing it in the upcoming PS4 (where I am sure it will be featured).
    karkooshy
    karkooshy

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Imagee10

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Medalg10

Rep9

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Empty Re: New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray

Post by karkooshy October 13th 2010, 3:30 pm

Sony shouldn't be investing on such matters in my opinion. :P
    Soon everything will be virtual... you'll have internet where ever you go all around the world.
    The future is virtual videos saved or streamed from their website.
    We barley use CDs in our house nowadays. We just log in to itunes, buy an HD movie, and stream it onto TV...
    so yeah.. not so wise in my opinion. They should be focusing on enlarging their media store by adding more Movies, TV shows... etc. etc. The PS3 could act as the receiver where all the content is downloaded/streamed.

Just an opinion :)
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  56qtD

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Medalw11 New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Medal13

Rep16

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Empty Re: New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray

Post by Super Racer Z October 14th 2010, 7:22 am

karkooshy wrote:Sony shouldn't be investing on such matters in my opinion. :P
    Soon everything will be virtual... you'll have internet where ever you go all around the world.
    The future is virtual videos saved or streamed from their website.
    We barley use CDs in our house nowadays. We just log in to itunes, buy an HD movie, and stream it onto TV...
    so yeah.. not so wise in my opinion. They should be focusing on enlarging their media store by adding more Movies, TV shows... etc. etc. The PS3 could act as the receiver where all the content is downloaded/streamed.

Just an opinion :)

An opinion I hope not everyone shares. You may call me paranoid, but I've never liked having possessions that I've payed for exclusively online (as I refer to it, "in the cloud") as things can get lost in the cloud, leaving you without said item. When you have a physical copy of it, you can protect it, hold it, bring it with you, and it can't get lost unless the item is physically damaged. There's also the fact that data streaming is reliant on having a connection, whereas you can use a physical copy without any connection to the internet unless it requires an online validation before it allows usage.

The best thing is to be able to have both, so they can serve as backups for each other. If the physical copy of the media is damaged, it can be replaced using a saved copy on a hard drive or database, and likewise you can copy the physical copy back into the computer or database if it were to somehow be corrupted or lost.

Regarding the use of these discs, this would be quite the technological achievement. Being able to store half a terabyte on a disc no larger than a bluray disc would unlock some amazing prospects. You could back up entire multi-terabyte computer systems onto just a few of them, extremely large amounts of media could be stored on just one of them(such as entire Television series or entire film sagas), they may allow video games to be much larger and better optimized, and even more possibilities for them exist.
    Shade
    Shade

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Medalw11 New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Zigzag10 New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Medal13

Rep2

Post by Shade October 14th 2010, 10:56 am

extremely large amounts of media could be stored on just one of them(such as entire Television series or entire film sagas),

Really? That sounds really impressive. I'm looking forward to the future of gaming now.
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  56qtD

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Medalw11 New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Medal13

Rep16

Post by Super Racer Z October 14th 2010, 5:40 pm

Sweet Mercy wrote:
    extremely large amounts of media could be stored on just one of them(such as entire Television series or entire film sagas),

Really? That sounds really impressive. I'm looking forward to the future of gaming now.

I'm excited about that, and I also like the prospect of being able to buy a TV series disc set which consists of only one disc instead of having to get multiple boxes of up to four DVDs.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  ZtZYh

New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Blackr10 New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Medalw11 New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Zigzag10 New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  White10 New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  Medal13 New Sony laser technology 20 times better than blu ray  2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter October 14th 2010, 11:50 pm

Do games or movies really need that much space though?
    Shade
    Shade

Rep2

Post by Shade October 15th 2010, 9:09 am

The Freedom Fighter wrote:Do games or movies really need that much space though?

Applied to something like an RPG, the effects would be staggering. Hopefully the new space will inspire Sony to create more RPG exclusives.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content