sykog
Sonic Fan
Zez
10 posters

Amy's Design

Zez
    Zez

Amy's Design VOZLn

Amy's Design Blackr10Amy's Design Medalw11Amy's Design Zigzag10Amy's Design Medal13

: Male
     Rep24

Amy's Design Empty Amy's Design

Post by Zez April 16th 2009, 6:52 am

Amy Rose was first shown in Sonic CD as Sonic's girlfriend/fangirl. The essence of the character was to be a cute, feminine version of Sonic, so that players can relate her to Sonic and easily see her as a girlfriend, specially watching as she holds and cuddles Sonic in Palmtree Panic, Collision Chaos and Stardust Speedway zones, with hearts pouring out of her.

There's no denial - she was very cute, a bit stereotyped but really cute.

She saw Sonic as a idealized picture, and wanted to have him stop running so that he could be all hers, not noticing that doing that, Sonic will lose his essence - he's a free person, which runs as the wind flows, and plays by his own rules.
    Sonic Drift and Sonic R also introduced her a compact, cute, and specially retro car, although they're different - one is red, another is blue and has eyes and mouth, but both are very classy, per se.

Also, in Sonic the Fighters, she was introduced to the Piko Piko Hammer, a magical hammer which is her main weapon.
    So, outside being kidnapped by Metal Sonic in Sonic CD, Classic Amy didn't do much at all. Although she loved Sonic, that's all we know about her. How is she? Is she a spoiled kid? Is she mature? What does she likes or hates besides loving Sonic (and probably hating Eggman). The classic games had no speak at all, so it was hard to know what kind of girl she exactly was. Artworks, TV shows, instruction booklets and movies helped us to know what kind of characters were Tails and Knuckles, but Amy?

Was Amy more than just a stereotype character?

And then, after years without any new "canonical" Sonic game, we had Sonic Adventure.
    Sonic Adventure, because of the RPG-esque exploration and storyline, characters had their characteristics and personalities properly explored, but Amy was different this time around, very different indeed.

The design was completely re-made to make her a bit more independent, more than just a girly Sonic. She dropped some of her retro characteristics to make room to something more clean and modern.
    Her personality was just as predicted - Girly, feminine. Cares about other creatures, be it lesser or bigger than her (the flicky and Gamma respectively), a daydreamer, easily distracted. But she didn't have a strong personality at all though.

Then, came Sonic Adventure 2.
    Amy in this one had the same personality than the first one, but multiplyied over. You could, unlike in the first one, very easily tell her personality, she was very distracted, very delighted, and you could really tell she was in love with Sonic. And she cared about Shadow and the safety of everyone in the ARK too, which triggered Shadow's memory from Maria, and thus, saved them all from death and a global crysis.

As everyone already knows, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were the pinnacle of the 3D Sonic, not counting Unleashed. Almost everyone agrees that Sonic Heroes had a bit of a quality fall than what the Adventures were.
    It was Sonic Heroes which started her "Marry me or die" personality. In this game, she still was girly, but had a bossy personality and looked aggresive and very obsessed with Sonic. In the later games, she lost her cute essence and started looking aggresive and obsessive. Every little thing is a reason so that she could lift her hammer up and crush Sonic's bones to death.

So, Retro, what do you think about her? Do you prefer Classic or Modern Amy, what personality do you think fits her more, what was her best performance, would you like a game starring her, anyway, general thoughts about this character.
    Sonic Fan
    Sonic Fan

Amy's Design GOMM8

Amy's Design Medal13

: Female
     Rep0

Amy's Design Empty Re: Amy's Design

Post by Sonic Fan April 16th 2009, 10:56 am

I used to like Amy, in fact she used to be my 4th favourite character, but now she's my 2nd LEAST favourite character. Like you said, she was alright in SA1 and SA2, she didn't act TOO obsessive over Sonic, so I didn't mind her. By the time Sonic X came round, I couldn't stand her. She became too fangirly and selfish, wanting Sonic to love her when IMO he doesn't, I mean you can't force someone to love you. Her English voice is HIGHLY annoying, it matches her aggressive personality which she's like these days, plus her ugliness really gets to me, she barely even LOOKS like a Hedgehog anymore.

Old style Amy is a different story though. She's awesome, I even collect any old style Amy item I see because I like her so much. She was cute, didn't seem quite as obsessed over him, actually looked like a Hedgehog, didn't have an annoying voice and her younger age suited her more, making it impossible for her to actually be in a relationship with Sonic. They really should've kept her like this, because now they've just turned her into an over obsessed, selfish Sonic fangirl, which to me is very unlikeable.
    sykog
    sykog

Amy's Design Imagee10

Amy's Design Blackr10Amy's Design Medalw11Amy's Design Medalg10Amy's Design Zigzag10Amy's Design Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog April 16th 2009, 9:44 pm

I never really liked the old Amy so much either.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Amy's Design VOZLn

Amy's Design Blackr10Amy's Design Medalw11Amy's Design Medalg10Amy's Design White10Amy's Design Medal13

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 April 18th 2009, 12:31 am

I like her the way she is. I like how everyone now has an actual personality.
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

Amy's Design 56qtD

Amy's Design Medalw11Amy's Design Medal13

Rep16

Post by Super Racer Z April 18th 2009, 7:56 am

Amy, the way she is now, is terrible. She's an over-obsessive stalking fangirl. In SA1 she was best, SA2 was decent, Heroes onward, just... sad.
    Zez
    Zez

Amy's Design VOZLn

Amy's Design Blackr10Amy's Design Medalw11Amy's Design Zigzag10Amy's Design Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez April 20th 2009, 1:52 am

Super Racer Z wrote:Amy, now, is terrible. She's an over-obsessive stalking fangirl.

Exactly. Amy has become a self collapsing neutron star. Oh how the bright die a long, slow, painful death.
    codeorange

Amy's Design GOMM8

Amy's Design Medalg10Amy's Design White10Amy's Design Medal13

Rep6

Post by codeorange April 20th 2009, 2:48 am

I have a feeling that a monkey wrench has to be thrown into this story between Sonic and Amy. Amy made up Dexter for Sonic Chronicles, but I'm wondering what would happen if she finally lost interest in Sonic for good? We always talk about character development anyway, so why not go a different route with her for awhile? Stay away from the Sonic chasing and focus on something else or someone else. That may be the only thing that can save Amy now.
    Zez
    Zez

Amy's Design VOZLn

Rep24

Post by Zez April 20th 2009, 2:55 am

codeorange wrote: Sonic and Amy. What if she finally lost interest in Sonic for good? Why not go a different route with her for awhile? Stay away from the Sonic chasing and focus on something else. That may be the only thing that can save Amy now.

I have to agree. This same old story is getting mighty old;

Amy: "Sonikku! I love you so much! I wish I could tackle you, sever your legs, so you could never escape my grasp, and you would be mine forever in my arms and forver in a total serinty and harmony as a one and whole being as the meaning of life gallantly flows from my lips to yours, I will chase to the ends of the earth until the day you marry me Sonikku...."

Sonic: *Thoughts:* OMFG!! WTFing hell was THAT about?!?!I gotta get away from this Psycho with a mega hammer and addiction. */Thoughts* "Uhmmmmm.... yeah. gottago.... "

*SUPA ZOOM!!!!!*

Amy: ".... I'll get you yet...."

Just anepic face palm for repating that same old played out jacked up horse crap in a never ending loop that only makes Amy's character increase in shallowness. Sad how that's the only role they have for her at the moment. Perhaps, ohhh.. I dunnooo.. put that Hammer that weighs like gold to good use and smash robots to actually help Sonic, thus gaining his actual attention and respect for a change? instead of gagging him smothering him to death and tying his arms and legs up in a dark secluded area somewhere underneath a non descript building. Gets boring after a while if you ask me.
    codeorange

Amy's Design GOMM8

Amy's Design Medalg10Amy's Design White10Amy's Design Medal13

Rep6

Post by codeorange April 20th 2009, 3:15 am

Oh, totally, Zez. Amy is getting so repetitive in her ways. Give it a rest, ma'am! I mean, she has to have other interests that can keep her going aside from spying on Sonic all the time. To be totally honest, I kinda wouldn't mind her following Shadow or Tails for a bit just to clear the air and be different. Also, doesn't she have a hobby like collecting stuff or doing any outdoor activites?
    Ringtails
    Ringtails

Amy's Design GOMM8

Amy's Design White10Amy's Design Medal13

Rep24

Post by Ringtails April 20th 2009, 3:27 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsundere

I find her now much hotter than her old cute and helpless self. Too often are women portrayed weak and silently following the male. Amy breaks the mold by not being afraid to tell Sonic what's on her mind.
    sykog
    sykog

Amy's Design Imagee10

Amy's Design Blackr10Amy's Design Medalw11Amy's Design Medalg10Amy's Design Zigzag10Amy's Design Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog April 20th 2009, 7:41 pm

I don't really know what to do with Amy. She was never all that great in my opinion.
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

Amy's Design VOZLn

Amy's Design Medalw11Amy's Design Zigzag10Amy's Design White10Amy's Design Medal13

Rep26

Post by Auflodern April 20th 2009, 7:50 pm

Omnihush wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsundere

I find her now much hotter than her old cute and helpless self. Too often are women portrayed weak and silently following the male. Amy breaks the mold by not being afraid to tell Sonic what's on her mind.

wow your more of a geek than i thought
    is this you? (yes it's not that good, it was a rushed project)
    Amy's Design Awesomeface
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Amy's Design ZtZYh

Amy's Design Blackr10Amy's Design Medalw11Amy's Design Zigzag10Amy's Design White10Amy's Design Medal13Amy's Design 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter August 30th 2009, 1:28 pm

Eh, I like that Amy is trying to prove herself to Sonic, but in games like SH where she's willing to beat up Sonic to marry him, it gets a little weird. As her recent appearance in SU, she isn't doing too bad. After the first part, she settled down and acted normal for the most part.
    Gamma The Great
    Gamma The Great

Amy's Design VOZLn

Amy's Design Medalw11Amy's Design Medalg10Amy's Design Zigzag10Amy's Design Medal13

Rep2

Post by Gamma The Great January 1st 2010, 5:48 pm

Besides her clothing, she seems to have become progressively worse over time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content