Tails

Gamma The Great
    Gamma The Great

Tails VOZLn

Tails Medalw11Tails Medalg10Tails Zigzag10Tails Medal13

Rep2

Tails Empty Tails

Post by Gamma The Great June 30th 2009, 5:35 am

What happened to good ol' Sonic and Tails? That's right, Sonic and Tails, not Sonic and Chip, or Sonic and Caliburn, or Sonic and some other useless character. The series is missing that special friendship dynamic between Sonic and Tails.
    Zez
    Zez

Tails VOZLn

Tails Blackr10Tails Medalw11Tails Zigzag10Tails Medal13

: Male
     Rep24

Tails Empty Re: Tails

Post by Zez June 30th 2009, 5:40 am

Yeah, I've wondered that too. Tails was, for lack of a better term, Sonic's homey! His right hand man. I remember seeing the movie and saying, "well yeah knuckles seems cooler but Sonic and Tails have that bond". Then I saw that god awful show where Tails is pretty much cast aside thanks to "Chris", the most uninteresting character they could add. Chris, the archetypal teenager who wears trendy clothes and does nothing. Can Chris fly? No he cannot.

At this point, I feel SEGA just doesn't care (ex: not to beat a dead horse, but...Werehog). They have plenty of characters they could flesh out, Knuckles included, but they decide to add new ones.
    Amy Rose the Rascal

Tails WFmvl

Tails Blackr10

Rep0

Post by Amy Rose the Rascal June 30th 2009, 5:49 am

I might well be alone in feeling that the Tails we see in Sonic Adventure 2 seemed to follow naturally from the developments in the previous game. The fact that Tails is now tackling problems in a giant walking mecha, rather than aping Sonic as in older games, seemed to suggest that he was through being in Sonic's shadow; that he was now doing things in a way he was more comfortable with. This all seemed to have been forgotten about by the time Heroes rolled around, but it's something I thought was worth noting, given that the majority opinion is that Tails' development ceased in Adventure.

A related element of Tails that needs further exploration is what I've come to describe as the "Tails/Eggman thing". There's a definite... atmosphere between those characters in SA2 - and, indeed, in Chronicles - that intrigues me. In SA2, Tails was presented as Eggman's counterpart - his equal, if you will, and by the end of the game, they're on surprisingly cordial terms. It's long been established that the Doctor has a healthy respect for Sonic, his worthy adversary, but it's never seemed remotely mutual... Sonic really couldn't give two hoots about Eggman. With Tails, though, there definitely is a mutual respect thing going on. It's taken even further in Chronicles, where the two of them seem to be getting on hugely well together when working against a common enemy. I don't know where future games could go with this, but there has to be more promise in it than Tails' current role as Sonic's perenially kiddie-voiced sidekick...

And that brings me to a point I'd like to echo - Tails needs a fresh voice actor more than any other character in the series. Most of the problems with the English vocal tracks, in my opinion, stem from bad scriptwriting rather than bad acting. Tails is the one character, though, that I'd recast in a heartbeat. And not just to have a different actor aping the same voice - I really think that Tails needs to sound a little older, and a little less inclined to drag out every damn syllable as if he's recovering from a stroke.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Tails VOZLn

Tails Blackr10Tails Medalw11Tails Medalg10Tails White10Tails Medal13

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 June 30th 2009, 1:52 pm

Nothing happened to it. Stop transforming your view point just because he doesn't obsess over the fox.
    Gamma The Great
    Gamma The Great

Tails VOZLn

Tails Medalw11Tails Medalg10Tails Zigzag10Tails Medal13

Rep2

Post by Gamma The Great July 1st 2009, 3:28 am

Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:Nothing happened to it. Stop transforming your view point just because he doesn't obsess over the fox.

This is based on... ?
    Sonic Fan
    Sonic Fan

Tails GOMM8

Tails Medal13

: Female
     Rep0

Post by Sonic Fan July 1st 2009, 5:34 am

I know what you mean, it annoys me too. I mean they used to be so close (see AoStH for example) but ever since Sonic Adventure they've drifted apart, it's sad really. =( Sonic and Tails' friendship/brotherlyness is one of my favourite things about the Sonic series, but it just isn't shown often enough, these days you're lucky to ever see them together! Look at Sonic X for example, throughout the whole series Sonic and Tails only hang out together like 5 times, the rest of the time they pretty much ignore each other! I don't know, what is the Sonic series coming to...
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Tails VOZLn

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 July 1st 2009, 3:15 pm

Gamma The Great wrote:
    Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:Nothing happened to it. Stop transforming your view point just because he doesn't obsess over the fox.

This is based on... ?

What are you talking about? It's based on this dumb as hell argument.
    sykog
    sykog

Tails Imagee10

Tails Blackr10Tails Medalw11Tails Medalg10Tails Zigzag10Tails Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog July 3rd 2009, 1:08 pm

The next big Sonic game will probably be Sonic and Tails. Just watch.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Tails Imagee10

Tails Blackr10Tails Medalw11Tails Zigzag10Tails White10Tails Medal13Tails Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic July 3rd 2009, 1:12 pm

sykog77 wrote:The next big Sonic game will probably be Sonic and Tails. Just watch.
    I'll bet Muffin's soul that it doesn't
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Tails ZtZYh

Tails Blackr10Tails Medalw11Tails Zigzag10Tails White10Tails Medal13Tails 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter July 3rd 2009, 9:41 pm

More than likely fan complaint and selective hearing. No idea. Here's hoping the Unbreakable Bond is more featured.
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

Tails VOZLn

Tails Medalw11Tails Zigzag10Tails White10Tails Medal13

Rep26

Post by Auflodern July 4th 2009, 9:37 am

sykog77 wrote:The next big Sonic game will probably be Sonic and Tails. Just watch.

how much you wanna bet?
    50 bucks on the table!
    Tails 26560603
    sykog
    sykog

Tails Imagee10

Rep29

Post by sykog July 4th 2009, 2:58 pm

Kriegsmarine wrote:

how much you wanna bet?
    50 bucks on the table!
    Tails 26560603
    I'll bet 10 cookies! Cookie Cookie Cookie Cookie Cookie Cookie Cookie Cookie Cookie Cookie
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Tails VOZLn

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 July 4th 2009, 11:42 pm

sykog77 wrote:
    Kriegsmarine wrote:

how much you wanna bet?
    50 bucks on the table!
    Tails 26560603
    I'll bet 10 cookies! Cookie Cookie Cookie Cookie Cookie Cookie Cookie Cookie Cookie Cookie

You're all stupid. I can just see the loopole coming.

"Nuh uh, when I said that I "meant" the next game was going to include Sonic and Tails. Pay up you arrogant users."
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

Tails Imagee10

Tails Blackr10Tails Medalw11Tails Zigzag10Tails White10Tails Medal13Tails Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic July 4th 2009, 11:47 pm

& he is going to edit his post to do just that
    sykog
    sykog

Tails Imagee10

Rep29

Post by sykog July 5th 2009, 1:07 am

TalkingObject wrote:& he is going to edit his post to do just that
    Who me?
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Tails VOZLn

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 July 5th 2009, 1:28 am

sykog77 wrote:
    TalkingObject wrote:& he is going to edit his post to do just that
    Who me?

He sees all people as completely equal or something. I don't know.

You wouldn't do that though.
    HolyNightmare
    HolyNightmare

Tails WFmvl

Rep0

Post by HolyNightmare December 4th 2009, 9:01 pm

Sonic and Tails stopped being best friends.

Imo Sonic the movie had the best representation of their friendship, none other media as come close.
    ChikkenMan
    ChikkenMan

Tails WFmvl

Rep0

Post by ChikkenMan December 4th 2009, 9:27 pm

go away....
    Chaos_Overlord
    Chaos_Overlord

Tails VOZLn

Tails Medalw11Tails Medal13

Rep11

Post by Chaos_Overlord December 5th 2009, 12:07 am

HolyNightmare wrote:Sonic and Tails stopped being best friends.
    When the heck did that happen?!?
    HolyNightmare
    HolyNightmare

Tails WFmvl

Rep0

Post by HolyNightmare December 5th 2009, 1:35 am

Chaos_Overlord wrote:

It didn't happen but it sure look like it, I think Sega is focused on creating characters at the moment.
    sykog
    sykog

Tails Imagee10

Rep29

Post by sykog December 5th 2009, 2:27 am

Imo Sonic the movie had the best representation of their friendship, none other media as come close.
    I never really thought about that, but I have to agree with you. :Heh, No!: :For The Win:
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Tails VOZLn

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 December 5th 2009, 7:57 pm

HolyNightmare wrote:
    Chaos_Overlord wrote:

It didn't happen but it sure look like it, I think Sega is focused on creating characters at the moment.

It doesn't look like it at all. The way they talk and act around each other still suggests that they are best friends. They still hang around a lot. They still refer to each other as buddies. Maybe you're "focusing" on the other characters too much to notice.
    HolyNightmare
    HolyNightmare

Tails WFmvl

Rep0

Post by HolyNightmare December 6th 2009, 9:01 pm

Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:
    HolyNightmare wrote:
    Chaos_Overlord wrote:

It doesn't look like it at all. The way they talk and act around each other still suggests that they are best friends. They still hang around a lot. They still refer to each other as buddies. Maybe you're "focusing" on the other characters too much to notice.

No, it's more like Tails isn't involved much anymore in any game story so there doesn't seem to be any focus on their friendship. Tails doesn't travel with Sonic anymore like in the old games, I'm mostly talking about important games and not spin-offs.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Tails VOZLn

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 December 7th 2009, 10:54 pm

HolyNightmare wrote:
    Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:
    HolyNightmare wrote:
    Chaos_Overlord wrote:

No, it's more like Tails isn't involved much anymore in any game story so there doesn't seem to be any focus on their friendship. Tails doesn't travel with Sonic anymore like in the old games, I'm mostly talking about important games and not spin-offs.

I guess there's some overwhelming emphasis that needs to be put on these two hanging out with each other to look like a friendship. He does travel with Sonic a lot even though he rightfully has become independant and doesn't stick with him everywhere he goes. He doesn't need to be clingy in order for their relationship to look real. And it doesn't matter if you're talking about important games and not spin-offs because it's the same both ways.

Not only that but it seems a little weird to dismiss the way they act toward each other in spin-offs. It's like saying it doesn't matter at all what they characterize the characters in them because their spin-offs. Tails and Sonic could be mortal enemies in them and apparently it'd be perfectly okay. At least that's how I think it works...

Seriously, it seems like they're working things out okay to me in correlation to what you'd expect from a video game series that's supposed to focus more on the gaming then the story. Since their friendship has already been established the story of the games tend to focus on the central conflict rather then steering off too deep into the characters personal matters.

BUT, I can actually see for a way for the relationship to look even more friendly then just an "already established relationship that has them hanging out a lot but not in the way that the fans want it" sequence. So if adding in little tidbits like seeing them go out for a bite to eat together or maybe having some kind of a weird sleepover before the main conflict doesn't work then there's no possible way to help you.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Tails ZtZYh

Tails Blackr10Tails Medalw11Tails Zigzag10Tails White10Tails Medal13Tails 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter December 8th 2009, 12:13 am

Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:I guess there's some overwhelming emphasis that needs to be put on these two hanging out with each other to look like a friendship. He does travel with Sonic a lot even though he rightfully has become independant and doesn't stick with him everywhere he goes. He doesn't need to be clingy in order for their relationship to look real. And it doesn't matter if you're talking about important games and not spin-offs because it's the same both ways.
    Yeah, but I don't know, I'd expect best friends to hang out together more often. They seem to not hang out as much to me; Tails is supposed to be his sidekick, and quite a skillful and adept fighter, Sonic would benefit more, mentally and physically, to bring his best bud along on the adventure. After all, the last time he tried to save the world on his own, he got battered badly. I don't want Tails to lose his independence, but they can still hang out more. Riders does this well enough, but SU had Tails only show up when he was needed. So yeah.
    Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:Not only that but it seems a little weird to dismiss the way they act toward each other in spin-offs. It's like saying it doesn't matter at all what they characterize the characters in them because their spin-offs. Tails and Sonic could be mortal enemies in them and apparently it'd be perfectly okay. At least that's how I think it works...
    I'd count the spinoffs. They don't defy canon, they help flesh out the characters, etc and so on. So yeah.
    Crystal Chaotix 3 wrote:BUT, I can actually see for a way for the relationship to look even more friendly then just an "already established relationship that has them hanging out a lot but not in the way that the fans want it" sequence. So if adding in little tidbits like seeing them go out for a bite to eat together or maybe having some kind of a weird sleepover before the main conflict doesn't work then there's no possible way to help you.
    That would be okay I suppose, just to show they don't hang out just because the world's in danger.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content