Mario94
FelixMargarita
codeorange
14 posters

Football Thread

Zez
    Zez

Football Thread - Page 2 VOZLn

Football Thread - Page 2 Blackr10Football Thread - Page 2 Medalw11Football Thread - Page 2 Zigzag10Football Thread - Page 2 Medal13

: Male
     Rep24

Football Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Football Thread

Post by Zez January 2nd 2010, 6:23 pm

Starlight Rage Zone wrote:Why not? It clearly says "Football" and I was hoping to talk about it a bit.

Make a New Topic titled "Futbol", or "Soccer". :Wink Wink:
    Starlight Rage Zone
    Starlight Rage Zone

Football Thread - Page 2 WFmvl

Rep0

Post by Starlight Rage Zone January 2nd 2010, 6:27 pm

Zezima wrote:
    Starlight Rage Zone wrote:Why not? It clearly says "Football" and I was hoping to talk about it a bit.

Make a New Topic titled "Futbol", or "Soccer". :Wink Wink:

Alright, but it's still called Football here. :)

Should you decide to take a look, it maybe called the "Premier League" thread.
    Mario94
    Mario94

Football Thread - Page 2 3qll2

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 2nd 2010, 8:39 pm

Anyway, the top 2 AFC Wild Card teams by way of tiebreakers are the Jets and Ravens. They win, they're in. The rest of the competing teams need a win and none or one of the teams ahead of them to lose. In the NFC, should the Vikings lose, the Dallas-Philly winner claims the #2 seed and the first-round bye. The Eagles don't need for Minnesota to lose, but the Cowboys do. Remember that this weekend as the final week of the regular season concludes tomorrow. No Monday Night Football until next season.
    sykog
    sykog

Football Thread - Page 2 Imagee10

Football Thread - Page 2 Blackr10Football Thread - Page 2 Medalw11Football Thread - Page 2 Medalg10Football Thread - Page 2 Zigzag10Football Thread - Page 2 Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog January 2nd 2010, 8:45 pm

I think it's strange that they had every game on Sunday.
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 3rd 2010, 2:16 am

Well, I just stayed up until pas midnight to see Texas Tech defeat Michigan State 41-31. Man say Ruffin NcNeill will be the new head coach, but we'll see. After that, though, I don't think they would take it from McNeill even if Joe Paterno wanted the job.
    sykog
    sykog

Football Thread - Page 2 Blackr10Football Thread - Page 2 Medalw11Football Thread - Page 2 Medalg10Football Thread - Page 2 Zigzag10Football Thread - Page 2 Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog January 4th 2010, 9:10 pm

Playoff Predictions Time!

I didn't copy paste, I actually took the time to type this up amazingly @_@

Jets at Bengals:
    That game yesterday was ugly, but it meant absolutely nothing fro the Bengals, and Cedric Benson didn't play, neither did some defenders, so that's the biggest reason for the blowout. Now, the Bengals are at home, and in their second playoff appearance since 1991. They really wan t to win this game, especially for Chris Henry, and they will. Revis will slow down Ochocinco, but he can't cover Coles or Caldwell. Plus, I would take a veteran quarterback over a rookie one. In fact, the Bengals are my prediction for the Superbowl winners. I know they aren't the best team in the league, but I think they will be surprising everyone. Remember when the Cardinals slowed down last season, and then went to the Superbowl? Yeah.

Ravens at Patriots: Wes Welker is hurt, and he Patriots have no shot at the super bowl. No Welker is fa worse than no Moss. That, and their defense is too inexperienced, they last too many fey veteran guys last season. The Ravens' defense is not the same anymore either though, especially against the pass. Joe Flacco is only in his second year, so its still too hard to determine what he will do. Next season. Ray Rice will put up a fight, though. I think the Pats will pull of a victory, but they won't advance any further after that.

Philadelphia at Dallas: This is the game of the week, and whoever wins this game will be in the Super Bowl. I'm kinda leaning toward the Eagles though, the only problem was with this weeks game. This is the most explosive offense in the NFL with DeSean Jackson, and Eagles fans need to shut up. Donovan McNabb is still an elite quarterback. Tony Romo is on fire though, he will put up a good game. DeMarcus Ware is also scary, his defense put up back t back shutouts. I don't think I trust Wade Philips, but a with a win here, I guess I will.

Packers at Cardinals Yet another rematch. The Cardinals should win this one. Aaron Rodgers is a great quarterback, but so is Kurt Warner. Green Bays offensive line is too beaten up, Dockett will go crazy. Charles Woodson and their defense will make it bit more exciting though, but they still won't win.
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 5th 2010, 8:07 pm

Mario94's Route to XLIV

It's that time of year again: the Super Bowl playoffs. The playoffs begin with the Wild Card round, which I will break down the key components of each game and my prediction of the final score. Let's get started in the AFC.

Bengals vs Jets

The Bengals are the turnaround team of the year. Their 4-11-1 record landed them among the worst in the league, but they surged up this season to win the AFC North with a 10-6 record. They host the New York Jets, who got #5 out of a pack of several teams looking to get in. The Bengals were stomped 37-0 in Week 17, but many of their starters were sitting this one out. With Cincinnati going full force, it's gonna be hard to stop them. Palmer and Ochocinco are one of the top offensive duos in the country, and that's item #1 on the Jets list. CB Darrelle Revis has excelled for New York this year, so look for him to match up against #85. The Jets have a solid run game with Thomas Jones with 1402 rushing yards (4.2 per carry) and 14 TD. If that doesn't get things going, the pass game is good enough to be able to fall back on. Mark Sanchez, the rookie out of USC, however, has to cut mistakes to minimal. He has 12 TD, but 20 Int to go with his 53.8% completion rate. He has Jericho Cotchery and Braylon Edwards to throw to, Cotchery with 57 Rec for 821 yards (14.4 yards per catch) and 3 TD, while Edwards has 35 Rec, 541 yards (15.5 ypc) and 4 TD. Cedric Benson put up great numbers for the Bengals with 1251 yards (4.2 per carry) and 6 TD. Both defenses have quite a bit on their hands, so it'll come down to who will stand stronger.

My prediction: Bengals 24, Jets 14

Ravens vs Patriots

The only game that isn't a rematch from Week 17. Again, both defenses are gonna have to step up to limit their opponents' usual flow of yards. Both teams average over 300 yards of offense a game, but they also allow over 300 yards a game. Ray Rice could be one of the best backs in the NFL if he's not the best. He has 2041 yards and 8 TD combined from rushing and receiving, and Joe Flacco certainly hasn't suffered "sophomore slump," with 3613 yards, 21 TD, 12 Int, and 63.1% completion. The Patriots have Tom Brady, 4398 yards, 28 TD, 13 Int, and 65.7% completion. But with Wes Welker out, Lawrence Maroney may see his numbers rise from 757 yards (3.9 per carry) and 9 TD. Randy Moss is the only standout target having 83 Rec for 1264 yards (15.2 per catch) and 13 TD, but he is a yards after catch receiver. It's gonna be who stops who, and though the Ravens recently made their claim to fame through their defense, they can't ride on that, or the Super Bowl Express is gonna kick them off the first stop. Flacco's shaky, but if he can stay stable, the Ravens will have a chance, but with Brady at the reins, the Pats might return to their former dynasty.

My prediction: Patriots 27, Ravens 21

Now, on to the NFC!

Packers vs Cardinals

Aaron Rodgers has come from a rookie filling HUGE shoes to becoming one of this year's best, if not the best. 4434 yards, 30 TD, 7 Int, and 64.7% completion put him up there. Greg Jennings and Donald Driver have also flourished as WRs, Jennings with 68 catches, 1113 yards (16.4 per catch), and 4 TD, and Driver with 70 Rec, 1061 yards (15.2 per catch) and 6 TD have greatly helped the Packers get into the playoffs. Their defense has held opponents to an average of 284.4 yards a game, 201.1 passing and 83.3 rushing. If Arizona runs, then Beanie Wells and Tim Hightower better come prepared with jackhammers. Kurt Warner might not have trouble getting the ball to Larry Fitzgerald, but that's it. Anquan Boldin is out, so that already hurts the Cardinals. It'll be something if Arizona makes this one a game since their defense allows 346.4 yards a game, 233.7 passing and 112.8 rushing.

My prediction: Packers 28, Cardinals 10

And, finally...

Eagles vs Cowboys

Week 17 was something Philadelphia is gonna have to learn from if they don't want to get shut out again. Donovan McNabb wasn't on the same page with DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin. They had plenty of opportunities to make big plays, but they blew most of them, several of which untimely cut off momentum or failed to get it going. Dallas has red-hot Tony Romo, with 4483 yards, 26 TD, 9 Int, and 63.1% completion, going full-force. They have 2 steady RB's in Marion Barber, who can plow through the box, and Felix Jones, who goes in when they need a "point A to point B" guy. Now that Dallas put the December Curse to rest, they still have playoffs past over their shoulder, as they have still not won a playoff game since 1996. Beating a team three times in one season is tough to do, as it showed two years ago when the Giants, who lost to Dallas twice in the regular season, came in as a heavy underdog having barely made it into the playoffs and getting around Tampa Bay. Dallas had come off a 13-3 year and the #1 seed, but an interception with :05 left got the Giants going. They went on to upset the Packers at Lambeau with an OT field goal, then the Patriots with a TD and under a minute to go. The Dallas defense didn't care if the Eagles threw or ran; they stopped both all the same. If the Cowboys keep this up, they shouldn't have much trouble winning again.

My prediction: Cowboys 27, Eagles 13.

So, that's it for the Wild Card round on my Route to XLIV. See you in the Division round.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog January 5th 2010, 8:41 pm

Mario94 wrote:
    My prediction: Packers 28, Cardinals 10
    No. The Cardinals are going to win.
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 9th 2010, 9:03 pm

Well, the BCS National Championship was quite a bust once Colt McCoy got knocked out. 37-21, Alabama wins the championship, defying the Heisman winner trend of only 1 win out of 7 title games featuring the Heisman winner (Matt Leinart of the 2004 BCS National Champion USC Trojans being the other exception).

Here are my picks against sykog's for the Wild Card round of the NFL playoffs:

Mario/sykog

Bengals(both)-Jets 24, Bengals 14
    Patriots(both)-Ravens 33, Patriots 14
    Cowboys/Eagles-Eagles 14, Cowboys 34
    Packers/Cardinals-Packers 45, Cardinals 51 F/OT

That ends the Wild Card round. Next weekend:

AFC

Ravens @ Colts
    Jets @ Chargers

NFC

Cardinals @ Saints
    Cowboys @ Vikings

After one round:

Mario94: 1-3
    sykog77: 1-3
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog January 14th 2010, 8:40 pm

NEW PICKS:
    Colts 24, Ravens, 21
    Chargers 21, Jets, 10
    Cowboys 27, Vikings 14
    Cardinals 37, Saints, 21
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 14th 2010, 10:38 pm

Mario94's Route to XLIV

This week is the division round edition of Route to XLIV. Shaky starts by both predictors, but we still have a ways to go.

AFC

Ravens vs Colts

The Ravens did exceptionally well last week against the Patriots, and now an upset against the Colts may land them in the Super Bowl as it did the Cardinals last year. Baltimore's offense performed smoothly, and the defense held when it counted on their way to a 33-14 win to play the #1 Colts. This week, though, defenses might be what determines who wins out. Both teams have what it takes to advance the ball, but that's just it. Which defense can slow that progression long enough? The Ravens have a decent defense, just over 300 yards allowed a game, while the Colts only have their 339.2 yards allowed per game because they haven't played any significant opponent in so long. They basically have been on one month's rest, and we'll see if that rest has revived or rusted Indianapolis. This one's a tough call, but...

My prediction: Colts 35, Ravens 31

Jets vs Chargers

I'm not even gonna give the Jets much of a chance here. They managed to upend the Bengals in Cincinnati, but that's as far as they'll get. Sunny Southern California will be their last stop of the season. San Diego's passing game has developed very well, and LaDanian Tomlinson is gonna keep New York guessing all day long. Against the Chargers D, rookie Mark Sanchez is gonna have a hard time, and so it'll come down to the Jets' run game against the Chargers' run defense. If Jones can pick up yards and keep the defense guessing, they might have a chance, but the Chargers too many advantages.

My prediction: Chargers 34, Jets 17

NFC

Cowboys vs Vikings

The Vikings don't head into this one with much momentum. They have lost three of their last five games, but managed to pummel the Giants 44-7. Brett Favre is a smart passer, I'll give him that. You can't call a QB reckless when he has 68.4% completion for 4202 yards, 33 TD, and only 7 Int. Tony Romo has been hot lately, but he only has yards above #4 (4483 this season). However, Romo's mobile; Favre clearly isn't. Adrian Peterson can provide a strong run game in case their passing goes south, but either way, you have guys like DeMarcus Ware, Jay Ratliff, Igor Olshansky, Mike Jenkins, and Bradie James to deal with. Not to mention Minnesota's gonna have to watch for Dallas's offense with Romo, Marion Barber, Miles Austin, Felix Jones, and Jason Witten. Both sides loaded with offense, but I give Dallas the edge because of their defense.

My prediction: Dallas 31, Minnesota 24

Cardinals vs Saints

The Saints don't have any momentum heading into this one. They went 13-0 before that fateful loss to the Cowboys in the 'Dome caused them to sputter and lose their last two games, one of which was to Tampa Bay. It's gonna be another offensive shootout, and this one I give to the Saints. They have pulled through on both sides numerous times in their wins. If they can forget about the Dallas, Tampa Bay, and Carolina games and focus on why they started 13-0, then they won't take long to crack Arizona's defense. Arizona has done well in games where the Cards and their opponents combine to score 50+ points, but then again, they haven't played the Saints in one of those. If the Saints get their offense back on track, they'll move on to the conference championship.

My prediction: Saints 38, Cardinals 27.

So ends this week in the Route to XLIV. See you next time, when the AFC and NFC Championships are broken down.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog January 15th 2010, 1:54 am

Only one different. And the Saints are not going to win without momentum, not against one of the greatest playoff quarterbacks of all time.
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 15th 2010, 8:11 pm

Well, the Saints feed off of weak defenses. They have all healthy starters. Darren Sharper is gonna give Kurt Warner one more thing to worry about. We have no recent history between these teams since the last time there was a Saints-Cards game was 2004 when New Orleans won 31-24. Both teams have near-unstoppable offenses, but the Saints have the better defense. Who knows? Maybe that week off may have been enough to get them back on track. They have to find that rhythm they had in their 13-0 run. The Cards pulled out a win against the Packers on a questionable touchdown. Both teams have won every game where both sides combine for 50 or more points, but New Orleans has the higher scoring average. The Cards better stay on alert despite the lack of momentum the Saints head in with, or New Orleans may get hot again.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog January 15th 2010, 11:54 pm

I think the Cards are going to get an early lead, which forces a one dimensional offense for the Saints.
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 16th 2010, 12:04 pm

One-dimensional? The Saints have Drew Brees at QB, Reggie Bush at RB, Robert Meachem at WR, and Jeremy Shockey at TE. That, my friend, does not make up a one-dimensional offense, no matter who you face in the league.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog January 16th 2010, 12:11 pm

Mario94 wrote:One-dimensional? The Saints have Drew Brees at QB, Reggie Bush at RB, Robert Meachem at WR, and Jeremy Shockey at TE. That, my friend, does not make up a one-dimensional offense, no matter who you face in the league.
    When you are down by a lot, you are forced to throw the ball.
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 16th 2010, 7:52 pm

Well, consider sykog beat on this pick. Right now, it's 45-14 with the Saints so far ahead, they don't have to worry about the Cardiac Cards. Seems now that Arizona's offense has to make the one-dimensional shift.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog January 16th 2010, 7:58 pm

I was dead wrong. I can't believe terrible the Cardinals defense is playing. They can't get aany pressure, can't tackle, and aer giving the wide recievers the whole feild.
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 17th 2010, 10:12 pm

Okay, so the Division Round has ended. Last round's pick records:

Mario94: 1-3
    sykog77: 1-3

And now, those records with the addition of this round:

Mario94: 3-5 (won-Saints, Colts; lost-Cowboys, Chargers)
    sykog77: 2-6 (won-Colts; lost- Cardinals, Cowboys, Chargers)

So...yeah. This isn't who picks more winners anymore. It's who picks fewer losers. I'll come back later to give my take on the AFC and NFC Championships. Good night.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog January 18th 2010, 2:07 am

Mario, you're a Cowboy's fan, what is you opinion on all of this?
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 18th 2010, 11:14 am

Well, the Cowboys did better than they have in a long time, winning their first playoff game in 14 years. But, with that crushing defeat, you wonder what happened to their momentum. They beat the Eagles three times, two of them in back-to-back weeks, and then they head to the Metrodome and take an absolute beating. In a season where they break their lingering December Curse and their losing playoff streak, I got the idea that maybe this was their year to win it all and be the Cowboys of what seems like so long ago. Now, that dream has been obliterated, and they just tucked into their shells like the Cowboys of the 21st century usually did. Their a good team, but they're too prone to make simple mistakes that lead to games like that. The Vikings took advantage of every weak point and opening, and they dominated the Cowboys. Dallas can draft a few more players, then come back next year. They'll at least have some confidence now that they broke two streaks that more recent Cowboys teams just lengthened.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog January 18th 2010, 1:06 pm

I think Wade Philips should, but it's not a must. I also wouldn't blame anything on Romo, he's still a top 10 quarterback in the league. I don't know what happened in that game though, their offensive line blocked like wide receivers, and Romo was running for his life every play. Not even Kurt Warner can put up good numbers with protection like that.
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 21st 2010, 10:56 pm

Mario94's Route to XLIV

Welcome back to the Route to XLIV.

So now, we go to the Conference Championships. In the AFC, we have the #5 Jets heading to Indianapolis to take on the #1 Colts. For the NFC, the #2 Vikings head to the Louisiana Superdome to play the #1 Saints. Two great matchups, and here I am to break it down for you.

AFC Championship: Jets vs Colts

Let's see. The Jets, despite what they had against them, took down the Bengals and the Chargers on the road. The Colts have only had to beat the Ravens to advance to the conference title game. The Jets have a strong run game to make up for their shaky passing. Thomas Jones has gotten all the room he needed from the line to pound for yards and TD's. Mark Sanchez has had two games to get in the rhythm of the playoffs, so he could come around and do his thing like he did at USC. The Colts, however, have far more experience overall, with Peyton Manning behind the center, Joseph Addai with him in the backfield, and 4 equally reliable receivers who basically take turns getting passes, though Marvin Harrison has stood out among this elite quartet. The Jets beat the Colts in the regular season, but only because Indianapolis sat their starters and sacrificed their shot at 16-0 for assurance they would have their best healthy and ready, and so far, despite the complaints from NFL fans and Roger Goodell, it's working out for them. When you weigh in everything, I say the Colts win because they have much more to offer than the Jets do in terms of offensive and defensive clout.

My prediction: Manning and Co. get their shot at ring #2. Colts 28, Jets 17.

NFC Championship: Vikings vs Saints

So, this is what I consider the bigger of the two games to watch. Both teams got their stride back after a week to sit out and watch for their opponents. Favre led the Vikings to a 34-3 runaway at home against the Cowboys (I still haven't fully recovered), and the Saints rolled the Cardinals by the same deficit 45-14. Now, we come to this. Brett Favre has done what he always has in the playoffs: pick apart the secondary. The Vikes' D held up as well, only allowing a 1st-half field goal. The Saints could do no wrong either: offense ran and passed to their heart's content, and the defense gave Kurt Warner as little time as possible and Tim Hightower as little room as possible. Now, comes the tough part. Weighing in these two, I'm taking...New Orleans to South Florida against the Colts. Drew Brees has caught fire once again, and Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister have put up contributing numbers like they did the first 13 games. New Orleans' defense can break through quick, which won't leave Brett Favre or Adrian Peterson time to get the play going. Percy Harvin and Sidney Rice are dangerous against even the best secondary, but if the line can prevent a rhythm, not even they can save Minnesota's drive to the Super Bowl.

My prediction: The Saints go marchin' to Miami: Saints 34, Vikings 31.

So, there you have it. I'll be back for the Pro Bowl prediction, followed by the finale with the overlook of Super Bowl XLIV in Miami. Until then, see ya.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog January 21st 2010, 11:29 pm

Pro Bowl?Jets gave been surprising but in a matchup between Peyton Manning and Mark San-chise... yeah. Manning is far to smart to waste any pass attempts throw in Revis' direction, so I expect big games form Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon.
    31- 14 Colts

This is a tough one, it's hard to decide which team will show up, so I'll go with the home team
    35-30 Saints
    Sketch Style
    Sketch Style

Football Thread - Page 2 GOMM8

Rep2

Post by Sketch Style January 23rd 2010, 8:24 pm

Teams eh? Well I only perfer the college teams so.

I'd have to say Florida Gators are my favorite. I also respect the Bulldogs, and Ohio is pretty good.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content