Mario94
FelixMargarita
codeorange
14 posters

Football Thread

sykog
    sykog

Football Thread - Page 3 Imagee10

Football Thread - Page 3 Blackr10Football Thread - Page 3 Medalw11Football Thread - Page 3 Medalg10Football Thread - Page 3 Zigzag10Football Thread - Page 3 Medal13

: Male
     Rep29

Football Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Football Thread

Post by sykog January 25th 2010, 1:17 am

Wow, you were only 8 ponts off getting every score correct, and I was only 10. We did good.
    Sketch Style
    Sketch Style

Football Thread - Page 3 GOMM8

Rep2

Post by Sketch Style January 25th 2010, 5:20 pm

sykog77 wrote:Wow, you were only 8 ponts off getting every score correct, and I was only 10. We did good.

Eh? Elaborate.

----

I guess for NFL, I'd have to say the Jaguars, but since I don't care about the NFL, I barely know of the other teams.
    sykog
    sykog

Football Thread - Page 3 Blackr10Football Thread - Page 3 Medalw11Football Thread - Page 3 Medalg10Football Thread - Page 3 Zigzag10Football Thread - Page 3 Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog January 25th 2010, 8:16 pm

Sketch Style wrote:
    sykog77 wrote:Wow, you were only 8 ponts off getting every score correct, and I was only 10. We did good.

Eh? Elaborate.

----

I guess for NFL, I'd have to say the Jaguars, but since I don't care about the NFL, I barely know of the other teams.
    Ten points off of our predictions for the scores for the game. The Colts scored 1 less that I preidcted, the Jets scored 3 more, and so on.
    Mario94
    Mario94

Football Thread - Page 3 3qll2

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 28th 2010, 11:26 am

Okay, I don't feel like going into detail at the moment, so here's my Pro Bowl prediction, plain and simple:

AFC 17
    NFC 31

So, there.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog January 29th 2010, 12:14 am

God job. You think Farve is retiring? I think so, Anytime he things he might come back, his wife should show him clips of him getting crushed by the Saints.
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 29th 2010, 11:30 am

He wasn't crushed, per se, but the Saints kept on him the whole game. The last pick seconds before regulation ended is what did him in. I'm surprised Favre could even compete this year, much less still be atop the best in the league. But, seriously, he should just retire before something sets in that forces him to give up, like arthritis, a severe injury, Alzheimer's, etc. I don't think he will this time, but he should. And if he does, then Roger Goodell should forget about reinstatement.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog January 29th 2010, 7:01 pm

Kurt Warner retired today, as expected. He needs to be a Hall of Famer. He's one oft he best, if not the best, playoff quarterback of all time.
    codeorange

Football Thread - Page 3 Medalg10Football Thread - Page 3 White10Football Thread - Page 3 Medal13

Rep6

Post by codeorange January 29th 2010, 7:18 pm

sykog77 wrote:Kurt Warner retired today, as expected. He needs to be a Hall of Famer. He's one oft he best, if not the best, playoff quarterback of all time.

Kurt Warner was (and hey, he still is) awesome. He has been one of my favorite football players for some time now, and while I am sad to hear of this news, I understand completely why he decided to retire right now. I don't expect him to pull a Favre and come back because I believe he's just not that type of guy who flip-flops all the time.

Kurt, thank you so very much for allowing us to watch you play football all these 12 years. Personally, I will never forget Kurt's spectacular performance in Super Bowl 34. That Super Bowl is timeless, and you can make the argument that that Super Bowl was the best one of all time. 414 passing yards, a SB record. That pass to Isaac Bruce remains in my memory still to this day. The Greatest Show On Turf! coolguy
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog January 29th 2010, 7:23 pm

codeorange wrote:
    sykog77 wrote:Kurt Warner retired today, as expected. He needs to be a Hall of Famer. He's one oft he best, if not the best, playoff quarterback of all time.

Kurt Warner was (and hey, he still is) awesome. He has been one of my favorite football players for some time now, and while I am sad to hear of this news, I understand completely why he decided to retire right now. I don't expect him to pull a Favre and come back because I believe he's just not that type of guy who flip-flops all the time.

Kurt, thank you so very much for allowing us to watch you play football all these 12 years. Personally, I will never forget Kurt's spectacular performance in Super Bowl 34. That Super Bowl is timeless, and you can make the argument that that Super Bowl was the best one of all time. 414 passing yards, a SB record. That pass to Isaac Bruce remains in my memory still to this day. The Greatest Show On Turf! coolguy
    I was only 5 at the time, so I didn't watch it. I watched the Super Bowl after that however.
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 31st 2010, 1:12 pm

The Pro Bowl just hit a new low. According to the Associated Press, Bryant McKinnie of the Minnesota Vikings was kicked off the NFC team for not showing up to team practices throughout the week because of unexcused absences. Now there are only two offensive tackles left for the NFC All-Pro team: Jason Peters of the Eagles and David Diehl of the Vikings. While he never should have been elected to the NFC All-Pro team to begin with, this just puts the NFC in a tough spot for today's game. If either OT gets hurt, they're basically screwed since they don't have much depth in any position because of injuries and the number of Pro Bowl selections participating in the Super Bowl. Today's Pro Bowl is gonna be more interesting to watch than any other in history.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog January 31st 2010, 4:19 pm

Quick, Andre Johnson is the MVP!
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 January 31st 2010, 5:48 pm

In other news, the Obama administration is currently in the process of taking steps to challenge the legality of the Bowl Championship Series, aka the BCS. According to the AP, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) wrote a letter to the Justice Department demanding a review of the BCS against anti-trust laws. The issue is that there is no playoff system and that the rankings are often controversial and debatable.

There are 6 conferences, the Atlantic Coast Conference, Southeast Conference, Big East Conference, Big Ten Conference, Big 12 Conference, and the Pacific 10 Conference, who are automatic qualifier (AQ) conferences, meaning the champion of each conference goes to a BCS bowl and is likeliest to get their second-place team in as an at-large. All the other conferences, the non-automatic qualifier (non-AQ) conferences have to fulfill one of two criteria to get a team in a BCS game:

1) The champion of a non-AQ must be in the top 12 in the final BCS poll, or

2) The champion of a non-AQ must be in the top 16 in the final BCS poll AND rank higher than an AQ champion

So, yeah. Non-AQ's want a fair title shot, and the question is, will a playoff system be set? For me, I don't care. There are more things to worry about in these United States of America than we can handle at the moment.
    Zez
    Zez

Football Thread - Page 3 VOZLn

Football Thread - Page 3 Blackr10Football Thread - Page 3 Medalw11Football Thread - Page 3 Zigzag10Football Thread - Page 3 Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez January 31st 2010, 5:53 pm

I would agree with a playoff system.
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 February 2nd 2010, 9:28 pm

Okay, so what if I missed the Pro Bowl prediction? It's just Pro Bowl; nobody really watches it, so I'm not counting that loss on m record because of that and sykog didn't make a prediction. Anyway, let's get to the grand finale of

Mario94's Route to XLIV

So it's finally down to this. The conference champion teams pack their bags for Miami to play in the biggest game of the year. The Indianapolis Colts, who overwhelmed their schedule until they decided to rest their starters for the playoffs. Of course, many criticized their choice to not pursue perfection, but getting to the Super Bowl silenced anyone who could put up a case before. They narrowly eluded the upset that would end their hopes for a third Super Bowl title for the franchise (won Super Bowls V and XLI), and now they got where they wanted to. Now, though the records won't show it, they could very well be the greatest champions of this era of football.

The AFC Champions will have to deal with the New Orleans Saints, who are first-timers in the Super Bowl. The Saints rolled their opponents as well, averaging over 40 points a game, until they played the Cowboys. They lost 24-17, and the Saints went into a daze that carried over in their next two losses. They rose to the occasion after a one-round bye, stomped the Cardinals, and one controversial interception later, they kicked the field goal that landed them in the big game for the first time ever. They have a load to do if they are gonna pull this one off.

It's gonna come down to defense. Who can stop the other guys from racking up yards? This is a tough task for both teams since they both have excellent offenses. The Colts have Peyton Manning, Joseph Addai, and their WR troupe, while the Saints have Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, and their wideouts. Darren Sharper has held up his FS spot well, and Dwight Freeney is questionable for the game. It's gonna be close; I could justify my stand either way. Though I want the Saints to win (and I'm sure my uncle does, too), when you have to face facts, the Colts have the edge.

My prediction: Colts 38, Saints 28

So, that concludes Route to XLIV. The NFL season may be over, but the Draft is, what, two months away? I'll still hang around here to update you on who's going to the Draft and who's staying in school. Until then, there likely won't be much to talk about here, so goodbye, folks.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog February 2nd 2010, 10:38 pm

Ok, so the Colts look like a much better team on paper. Peyton Manning is the best quarterback of all time. But the Saints are really pumped for this game, more-so then the Colts. I think a few "remember me hits" will be delivered on Manning, even if hey can't get get to him before he releases the football. I expect Garcon to continue what he did last week and have a good game. This game will be go down to the wire, it won't be easy for either team. But Dwight Freeney is injured, and even if he does play, he won't play like the top 3 pass rusher in the NFL as he is.

Now the X factors. For the Saints, I have Reggie Bush and Robert Meachem. Reggie Bush seems motivated this postseason, and he needs to continue that. Robert Meachem hasn't done much of anything however. Drew Brees need all of his receivers if he wants to outscore the Colts. Robert Mathis is the X-factor of the Colts. If he plays rally well, the Colts are almost sure winners. It's a tough decision, but I have to say:

WHO DAT SAY DEY GONNA BEAT DEM SAINTS?

Saints Upset the Colts, 38-34
    Jmh
    Jmh

Football Thread - Page 3 Medalw11Football Thread - Page 3 White10Football Thread - Page 3 Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh February 7th 2010, 11:28 am

SeaHawks are my favorite!
    Mario94
    Mario94

Rep4

Post by Mario94 February 7th 2010, 11:00 pm

I tell you now, that was one of the greatest games I have ever seen. New Orleans took a huge chance on that onside to start the 2nd half, but it paid off big. The New Orleans Saints were founded in 1967 after just one Super Bowl, and ever since, Who Dat? Nation awaited the day the Saints took home the Vince Lombardi Trophy. Several coaches and players among the best were a part of it, and yet up until now, none of them got a Super Bowl ring as a Saint.

This is a shocker. This underdog story of the New Orleans Saints couldn't have been better or more dramatic if it was handwritten. Congratulations to the Saints on their first-ever Super Bowl championship in their first-ever appearance. This also marks the first time a team has won the Super Bowl going into the playoffs on a three-game losing streak.

BTW, sykog and I had differing picks. He picked the Saints, which he was right, so the final records are:

Mario94: 5-6
    sykog77: 5-6

So, yeah. We tied. I'm not gonna go through and look for margin of error to break it at the moment, so right now, it's still a tie.

Last edited by Mario94 on February 7th 2010, 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog February 7th 2010, 11:04 pm

Mario94 wrote:I tell you now, that was one of the greatest games I have ever seen. New Orleans took a huge chance on that onside to start the 2nd half, but it paid off big. The New Orleans Saints were founded in 1967 after just one Super Bowl, and ever since, Who Dat? Nation awaited the day the Saints took home the Vince Lombardi Trophy. Several coaches and players among the best were a part of it, and yet up until now, none of them got a Super Bowl ring as a Saint.

This is a shocker. This underdog story of the New Orleans Saints couldn't have been better or more dramatic if it was handwritten. Congratulations to the Saints on their first-ever Super Bowl championship in their first-ever appearance.
    I don't think so, last year's Super Bowl was better. This was a GREAT game though, especially the 2nd half. This is probably the 2nd best team turnaround in NFL history. (behind the 2000 Rams)
    Zez
    Zez

Football Thread - Page 3 VOZLn

Football Thread - Page 3 Blackr10Football Thread - Page 3 Medalw11Football Thread - Page 3 Zigzag10Football Thread - Page 3 Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez February 7th 2010, 11:34 pm

I'm eager to see who wins in the Super Bowl Super Bowl. Mario94 or sykog77. We should do this every year! : ):
    Schnickelfritz
    Schnickelfritz

Football Thread - Page 3 White10Football Thread - Page 3 Medalg10Football Thread - Page 3 Medal13Football Thread - Page 3 Medalw11

Rep34

Post by Schnickelfritz February 8th 2010, 12:38 am

So..... did the Patriots win? That's who I was looking for, but I didn't watch the whole game.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog February 9th 2010, 1:32 am

Schnickelfritz wrote:So..... did the Patriots win? That's who I was looking for, but I didn't watch the whole game.
    No, the Lakers.
    And, Zez, what do you mean by that?
    Jmh
    Jmh

Football Thread - Page 3 Medalw11Football Thread - Page 3 White10Football Thread - Page 3 Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh February 9th 2010, 1:47 pm

I'm happy for the Saints.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog March 6th 2010, 8:33 pm

Free agent signing time!!

- Julius Peppers, Chester Taylor, and Brandon Manumaleuna to the Bears (this team is going to be so good next year.)
    - Nate Burleson to the Lions
    - Anquan Boldin to the Ravens (Here comes Joe Flacco!)
    - Antonio Cromartie to the Jets (Best conerback tandem I've heard of.)
    - Carlos Dansby to the Dolphins

Also, Brandon Marshall is meeting with the Seahowaks today, and TO just might be playing with Ocho.
    sykog
    sykog

Rep29

Post by sykog April 24th 2010, 10:11 pm

Bump. The draft just ended. I think the Seahawks draft really well, but you can't really tell until 2 or 3 years. I'm surprised Dez went to the Cowboys, and that Claussen wasn't selected in the first round.
    codeorange

Football Thread - Page 3 Medalg10Football Thread - Page 3 White10Football Thread - Page 3 Medal13

Rep6

Post by codeorange April 26th 2010, 11:52 pm

Just to throw out a short comment, I like what the Browns did in this recent NFL draft. The only pick I didn't like was our 2nd round pick. I think we really reached there. Nothing against the kid, of course, it's just that we could've made a much better pick at that spot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content