sykog
Blaze the Cat
codeorange
Roterblitz
Ringtails
Zez
XNinjaRed
11 posters

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails?

XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Imagee10

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medalw11Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medalg10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Zigzag10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medal13

: Male
     Rep4

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Empty Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails?

Post by XNinjaRed March 1st 2009, 7:15 am

We've already got Shadow (Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog)
    We've already got Knuckles (Sonic Adventure, Sonic Chronicles)
    We've need to get a bigger plot about Tails.
    Yes, he had some kind of Character Development in Sonic Adventure... and repeated it in Sonic Adventure 2... but they should do something about the fact that he has 2 tails.
    I mean, the way they say it's just a genetic mutation just isn't... right... to me.

He has everything the folklore said about the 9 tailed fox.
    The 9 Tailed Fox is clever and is able to think forward for quite a while.
    The 9 Tailed Fox is... well... a fox.
    The 9 Tailed Fox tends to work in the background, not taking too much credit for what he does so he can attack enemies when they least expect it.
    The 9 Tailed Fox is able to learn new about new things quicker then the people who lived there and thought to have known everything about them. (Sonic Rush Adventure)

There should be a story where Tails gets his 3rd Tail or something. I mean isn't it about time he should be 12? (9 Tailed fox got another tail each 4 years).
    3 Tails isn't really gonna be a problem about his flight really, I mean being able to fly with two tails was impossible anyway :|
    Zez
    Zez

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? VOZLn

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Blackr10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medalw11Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Zigzag10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medal13

Rep24

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Empty Re: Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails?

Post by Zez March 1st 2009, 7:17 am

Damn, that was.. intelligent. They won't give him a third tail, though due to newbs, and the fact that he is not based off of the 9 tailed fox. He should get a backstory though, at least more detailed, we have some cutscenes, but all the rest is fan implied, and speculation.
    XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medalw11Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medalg10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Zigzag10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medal13

Rep4

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Empty Re: Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails?

Post by XNinjaRed March 1st 2009, 8:18 am

He's not based off of the 9 tailed fox, doesn't mean they can't make that interesting story.
    I don't think people thought the so called god that killed the Echidna tribe said in Sonic 3 & Knuckles to be a big puddle monster they revealed in Sonic Adventure.
    I don't think people thought Shadow would be made out of the blood of an alien.
    I don't think people expected the sweet Amy from Sonic CD to become... well... just look at Team Rose vs Team Sonic!
    Zez
    Zez

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Blackr10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medalw11Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Zigzag10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medal13

Rep24

Post by Zez March 1st 2009, 8:19 am

Yes, but those were at least somewhat close to the main story. A 9 tailed fox might even be copyright infringement to some companies.
    XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed March 1st 2009, 8:23 am

9 Tailed Fox is a folklore. That's like sueing someone for using the Grim Reaper.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez March 1st 2009, 8:25 am

XNinjaRed wrote:9 Tailed Fox is a folklore. That's like sueing someone for using the Grim Reaper.

Alright then. But I kind of doubt they will even think of this.
    Ringtails
    Ringtails

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? GOMM8

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? White10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medal13

Rep24

Post by Ringtails March 1st 2009, 8:28 am

Tails is too... easygoing... to have a truly deep backstory. I'm not sure that's the right word.

Shadow and Knuckes are darker characters, who have had varied motivations and objectives. However, for the most parts, Tails has always been just following Sonic around.
    Sure, I guess even Luigi got his mansion, but due to Tails' overly simplistic personality, I'm not sure how much story you can draw from it.

A nine tailed fox does seem kind of interesting. But how would that related to Tails? Tails is not a front line fighter, so it would make no sense to give him any sort of powerup. What, is he going to get smarter? What good would that do to someone who's already a "genius"? Flying higher or faster doesn't make much sense either, since flying high is already his specialty and speed is Sonic's. Adding more tails to Tails would mean having to completely redesign his character to be much more sophisticated.

As much as I would like a full spinoff featuring Tails, he's simply not deep enough of a character to be put in the spotlight.

My $0.02.
    XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed March 1st 2009, 8:34 am

I'm not saying he should be a fighter. In fact I'm almost saying the opposite:
    XNinjaRed wrote:He has everything the folklore said about the 9 tailed fox.
    The 9 Tailed Fox is clever and is able to think forward for quite a while.
    The 9 Tailed Fox is... well... a fox.
    The 9 Tailed Fox tends to work in the background, not taking too much credit for what he does so he can attack enemies when they least expect it.
    The 9 Tailed Fox is able to learn new about new things quicker then the people who lived there and thought to have known everything about them. (Sonic Rush Adventure)

I just want him to use his intelligence in a more sly way. Like imagine he found something out about what Eggman does, but then he doesn't tell it to Sonic because if he tells Sonic, Eggman will know, because Eggman got his attention fully on Sonic. So instead Tails goes his own way to sneak into Eggman's plan, and then when Eggman was about to beat Sonic or something then out of nowhere Eggman's machine/plan fails, terribly, because Tails (having already figured out everything Eggman wanted to do) sabotaged the whole plan without being noticed just because he knows Eggman had his attention on Sonic all the time. Everybody will go "OMG! TAILS IS A BADASS!!!!! CROWNING MOMENT OF AWESOME!!!!" And then Sonic will finish Eggman off, but everybody will still be in awe of what Tails did.
    Ringtails
    Ringtails

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? White10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medal13

Rep24

Post by Ringtails March 1st 2009, 8:41 am

But then the cute cuddly image of Tails will be shattered.
    I'm guessing that most people love him because of the following qualities:
    1. Cute n cuddly
    2. Innocence/honesty
    3. Hard working
    4. Cute n cuddly
    5. Loyalty
    6. Mechanics/brains
    7. Cute n cuddly

I'm just not so sure "badass" is what Sega is trying to achieve. Scheming and counterplans are more up Shadow's alley.

Like, I dunno. Your idea does sound awesome, and I bet fans would be delighted at this new side of Tails. But... well, some people like Tails just the way he is.
    XNinjaRed
    XNinjaRed

Rep4

Post by XNinjaRed March 1st 2009, 8:54 am

I guess, but I'm one of those people who likes to see a character grow up.
    Like how Phoenix Wright started as a rookie and then pretty much became a fallen legend in Apollo Justice.
    Or how Zero was someone haunted by his past into one who doesn't care anymore and rather cares about the future of others (you know, that's kinda what Shadow is now too...)
    Or how Anakin the cute little boy in Star Wars Episode 1 became Darth Vader in Episode 3.

I like characters if they grow, you know?
    Roterblitz
    Roterblitz

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Blackr10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medalw11Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medalg10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? White10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medal13

Rep6

Post by Roterblitz March 1st 2009, 4:23 pm

I think those are absolutely brilliant ideas, they make perfect sense and, aside from growing a 3rd tail, I don't see anything people would have a problem with.

Too bad Sega stopped caring about the whole "story" thing years ago, and they'd rather make more characters than make the existing ones better.
    codeorange

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medalg10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? White10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medal13

Rep6

Post by codeorange March 2nd 2009, 1:22 pm

I don't think that Tails should take the "Naruto" route, IMO. I hope not, at least, because that would feel a bit too extreme a change for him. But there's no doubt that Miles needs a backstory of his own, as that would refresh his character quite a bit. He needs to toughen up alot and stand out more, IMO.

Backstories always give characters alittle more purpose and alittle more reason to be there. If you know what that ongoing conflict is with that character, and he shows it throughout the games and stories, that should draw fans in. Think about Shadow's backstory. Many fans got hooked onto Shadow partly because of his compelling backstory. *shrugs*
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez March 2nd 2009, 5:30 pm

Roterblitz wrote:I
    They'd rather make more characters than make the existing ones better.

So True, and sad.
    Blaze the Cat
    Blaze the Cat

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? 3qll2

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Blackr10

: Female
     Rep0

Post by Blaze the Cat March 3rd 2009, 8:14 pm

Nah, Tails is a good old classic, simplistic, but lovable character. He doesn't need a backstory. He's just a little kid who likes to build things and aid his pals. Nothing more to it than that.
    Roterblitz
    Roterblitz

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Blackr10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medalw11Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medalg10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? White10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medal13

Rep6

Post by Roterblitz March 3rd 2009, 10:07 pm

codeorange wrote:I don't think that Tails should take the "Naruto" route, IMO.
    Tails has been based on the Kitsune legend long before Naruto.
    codeorange wrote:Think about Shadow's backstory. Many fans got hooked onto Shadow partly because of his compelling backstory. *shrugs*
    Yeah, but then most of them ended up liking the series for the wrong reasons and got upset when things went back. And it really didn't work out for Shadow himself in the long run.
    codeorange

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medalg10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? White10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medal13

Rep6

Post by codeorange March 3rd 2009, 11:31 pm

What I meant by taking the Naruto route with an added backstory was to go to an extreme and be an extremely vicious and ruthless animal that Tails clearly hasn't been at all. That's what the Naruto series is based on. If you're familiar with that series, you'll know exactly what I mean. I was trying to say that fans won't take to a complete 360 in Tails' attitude, that's all. It has to be a slower change.
    Roterblitz
    Roterblitz

Rep6

Post by Roterblitz March 4th 2009, 12:02 am

codeorange wrote:What I meant by taking the Naruto route with an added backstory was to go to an extreme and be an extremely vicious and ruthless animal that Tails clearly hasn't been at all.
    He wasn't suggesting that at all, at worst, he said that Tails should be a little more calculating, as well as actually using his traits for things other than flying every once in a while.

The Nine-Tailed Fox inside Naruto acts nothing like the legendary Kitsune, although Naruto himself is actually very similar.
    sykog
    sykog

Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Blackr10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medalw11Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medalg10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Zigzag10Who thinks they should do a backstory of Tails? Medal13

Rep29

Post by sykog March 4th 2009, 1:38 am

Blaze the Cat wrote:Nah, Tails is a good old classic, simplistic, but lovable character. He doesn't need a backstory. He's just a little kid who likes to build things and aid his pals. Nothing more to it than that.
    I agree, you win. :):
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 March 18th 2009, 12:31 am

I think every character should have some sort of background. Tails however was provided with a very brief one in SA1 but that's hardly enough to call it an actual story of any kind.
    Gamma The Great
    Gamma The Great

Rep2

Post by Gamma The Great March 24th 2009, 5:50 am

Every character's background should be well built on a solid foundation and thoroughly told. Perhaps this is one of the many downsides to Sonic Team's thinking. ($$$)
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 March 24th 2009, 4:22 pm

No, not really. It's not something that needed. It'd be nice to have though.
    Zez
    Zez

Rep24

Post by Zez March 25th 2009, 3:34 am

Not needed? I tcould spur so many spin offs and new games they would be rolling in the dough!
    Gamma The Great
    Gamma The Great

Rep2

Post by Gamma The Great March 26th 2009, 4:26 am

All characters need development.
    Crystal Chaotix 3
    Crystal Chaotix 3

Rep17

Post by Crystal Chaotix 3 March 26th 2009, 8:20 pm

Gamma The Great wrote:All characters need development.

Yes, but development wasn't at all what you were going on about. You don't need to dig into their pasts for development. Actually, the prospect of going backward to gain further development sounds rather silly.

But I do agree that touching on their pasts would be an interesting thing. It's a nice want but it isn't needed.
    codeorange

Rep6

Post by codeorange April 20th 2009, 2:30 am

Here's what I'm trying to say. I agree that Tails should have a backstory of his own, as I know that would help support him in developing his character. That would give him a boost and that would make some people pay more attention to him.

However, I don't agree that Sonic Team has to dig into this; digging into the story of the mythological kitsune in order to be that backstory for Tails. I think that will do more harm than good and it will, in some way, shatter Tails' once innocent image.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content