Super Racer Z
Stranger
FallingFree
Auflodern
Phantom
Sonic Adventure 2
SonicFanPS2
12 posters

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have?

SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? VOZLn

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medalw11What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medal13

: Male
     Rep12

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Empty What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have?

Post by SonicFanPS2 January 16th 2011, 4:11 pm

Like the title of the topic says, what would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? For example, gameplay, music, physics, graphics, etc.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Kz2PK

Rep7

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Empty Re: What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have?

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 January 16th 2011, 7:08 pm

I personally don't care. I think Sonic Team ruined the series just by the aesthetics in Sonic 4 (never played the actual game- aesthetics were enough to turn it down for me).
    Phantom
    Phantom

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medal13

Rep11

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Empty Re: What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have?

Post by Phantom January 17th 2011, 1:33 am

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:I personally don't care. I think Sonic Team ruined the series just by the aesthetics in Sonic 4 (never played the actual game- aesthetics were enough to turn it down for me).

As in, the visual style of the environments, enemies and interface? Funny, because that was one of the things that I enjoyed about S4E1. I like the dimensional quality of the checkerboard texture on the hills, the water effects, and the vibrant backgrounds. Expanding on that, I'd like to see some more original environments that haven't been seen before in a Sonic game (say, something along the lines of "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari").

Aside from that, I would also like to see some more elaborate Boss battles and level designs that involve going in different directions (multi-tiered levels such as Launch Base had me going to the left as much as to the right). There were some instances in S4E1 that relied too much on using the Homing Attack on enemies to get from point A to point B, and if I missed the landing on those instances, then it would mean a bot of backtracking for a different way over, so I would balance those out so they're not impassable after a missed attempt.
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medalw11What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Zigzag10What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? White10What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medal13

Rep26

Post by Auflodern January 17th 2011, 9:43 am

I don't want green eyes, homing attacks, dash pads... basically whatever they put in it I think I and every other Sonic fan is going to complain about it. Oh I forgot, we're going to complain about it right after we ask for it.
    FallingFree
    FallingFree

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? WFmvl

Rep0

Post by FallingFree January 20th 2011, 4:26 am

Kinect playabiity! :D
    Stranger
    Stranger

Rep1

Post by Stranger January 20th 2011, 11:22 am

I'd like them to do what they did with Sonic Colors and apply it to future episodes. Meaning go back and replay them and figure out what worked, what didn't, and what could be improved upon. And use get the Sega soundteam to do the music. I'd kill to have music along the lines of Colors/Unleashed in future episodes.
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? 56qtD

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medalw11What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medal13

Rep16

Post by Super Racer Z January 21st 2011, 2:39 am

Music, Gameplay, and the physics could all use lots of improvement. The music just sounded way too cheap and even annoying at times due to the high pitched samples, monotonous drum sound(even the genesis had multiple drum sounds, whereas the music in most of Sonic 4 has only one drum and one bass drum sound.), and sometimes slow paced music. If there's one thing that should never be in any video game level where you are playing as sonic, it's slow paced music. The one thing I can say I truly liked about some of the music was the bassline.

In the gameplay aspect, the main things I would change are the uncurling effect when flying off ramps and the rehashing of bosses. The curling effect makes the statement that you can get through the game without once using the homing attack extremely unpractical, and there's just no point to it. On the bosses, rehashing old bosses as opposed to making new ones is lazy. That's all I have to say about it. 1,2, and 3 all had new bosses and as far as I remember, and non of them shared bosses either, so why is the "sequel" using bosses from the first game? The rage seconds halves of the bosses were different, but that's about it. I also think the homing attack is completely pointless in a 2D game that has slower pacing than SU/SC/SR, but I don't care either way.

And physics wise, the main complaint I have with the physics is how letting go of the d-pad is less like moving in a neutral fashion and more like throwing the parking brake on if the parking brake was the best one in existence. You come to a dead stop the moment you let go of the d-pad while in mid-air, and it's the only Sonic game I know of that's been made since 1991 all the way to 2011 which has such an alien control reaction when the d-pad/control stick is released. I've also seen some ridiculous things happen in loops, but that's a much more minor complaint.

Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 January 21st 2011, 6:33 am

Auflodern wrote:I don't want green eyes, homing attacks, dash pads... basically whatever they put in it I think I and every other Sonic fan is going to complain about it. Oh I forgot, we're going to complain about it right after we ask for it.
    I agree with the green eyes and homing attack. This ruins the old series putting it in an "original" game.
    Doodle
    Doodle

Rep5

Post by Doodle January 21st 2011, 12:50 pm

He was joking, you know.
    Seriously, how stupid do you have to be to complain about EYE COLOR?

Really..
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 January 21st 2011, 7:08 pm

Suspicious Bush wrote:He was joking, you know.

Really..

Actually, not stupid at all when aesthetics actually matter in my depiction of a proper historically accurate game. Sonic 4 isn't this since time barriers are crossed both in the past and future. Therefore, Sonic 4 is not a real Sonic main title IMO.

Sonic 4 is the overhyped humdrum excuse of Sonic Team not being able to make an SA3. If you want a 2D game that doesn't cross time barriers, Sonic Rush Adventure is capable of doing this in the modern day.

That's my take on it. Rant over.
    NeoMetalSonic
    NeoMetalSonic

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Imagee10

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Blackr10What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medalw11What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Zigzag10What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? White10What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medal13What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medalg10

Rep35

Post by NeoMetalSonic January 21st 2011, 7:26 pm

The game actually be playable and fun too bad that will never happen
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

Rep16

Post by Super Racer Z January 21st 2011, 8:23 pm

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:

Really..

Actually, not stupid at all when aesthetics actually matter in my depiction of a proper historically accurate game. Sonic 4 isn't this since time barriers are crossed both in the past and future. Therefore, Sonic 4 is not a real Sonic main title IMO.

Sonic 4 is the overhyped humdrum excuse of Sonic Team not being able to make an SA3. If you want a 2D game that doesn't cross time barriers, Sonic Rush Adventure is capable of doing this in the modern day.

Just a small point; do you really want Sonic Team to make a Sonic Adventure 3 at this time when their last attempt turned out as Sonic 06? I guess you could call Sonic Unleashed an attempt at that gamelpay style if you squint, but you only play as two characters throughout the entire game, and that's not counting the Werehog since it's just a slow stretchy stretchy version of Sonic.

I do think that the homing attack is a valid point of complaint for people to make though, since unlike with the rest of those things, it actually affects the gameplay in a major way. IMO, it makes the easy challenge of jumping on enemies in a 2D plane (In a Sonic game without the pacing of SR/SU/SC anyways) much too easy. It also makes bosses easier to defeat as well. The one positive thing I will say is that the homing attack does an okay job of compensating for the funky mid-air physics.
    Doodle
    Doodle

Rep5

Post by Doodle January 21st 2011, 8:26 pm

Well, they gotta compensate, man; It's not aimed at the "hardcore fans" and people who whine about eye color so much as it is the kiddies.
    Shade
    Shade

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medalw11What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Zigzag10What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medal13

Rep2

Post by Shade January 22nd 2011, 7:00 am

Really..

Fair point. You wouldn't even notice eye color most of the time. I mean, unless you can see really well or something.

Perhaps something more worthy of complaining about is how they have FAILED to put King Maximilian Acorn in any Sonic games.... or how they don't let the player play as Eggman/Robotnik.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 January 22nd 2011, 10:58 am

Super Racer Z wrote:
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:

Just a small point; do you really want Sonic Team to make a Sonic Adventure 3 at this time when their last attempt turned out as Sonic 06? I guess you could call Sonic Unleashed an attempt at that gamelpay style if you squint, but you only play as two characters throughout the entire game, and that's not counting the Werehog since it's just a slow stretchy stretchy version of Sonic.

I do think that the homing attack is a valid point of complaint for people to make though, since unlike with the rest of those things, it actually affects the gameplay in a major way. IMO, it makes the easy challenge of jumping on enemies in a 2D plane (In a Sonic game without the pacing of SR/SU/SC anyways) much too easy. It also makes bosses easier to defeat as well. The one positive thing I will say is that the homing attack does an okay job of compensating for the funky mid-air physics.

IMO: Sonic Rush Adventure is greater than Sonic 4. Why revert to the past when we can excel in the modern day? A green eyed Sonic in a modern 2D game makes perfect sense, but a green eyed Sonic in a modern pose of a retro game makes much less sense.

How can you claim the fall of Sonic Team for just Sonic 06? They made Sonic Adventure 2 nearly flawlessly IMO, so how can you not blame them for making a game that qualifies less? You make it sound like they've lost their touch. If they can make an SA2 at a great quality as it is, they can do the same with an SA3. I think the real problem is that Yuji Naka is no longer with Sonic Team. Since he's left (and in his final days) the Sonic games have gone downhill in the 3D department. He's a major reason why. But, that doesn't compensate for the fact of what Sonic Team did and what they can do to make a full 3D game just as great as SA2 or better.
    Shade
    Shade

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medalw11What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Zigzag10What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medal13

Rep2

Post by Shade January 22nd 2011, 6:05 pm

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:
    Super Racer Z wrote:

IMO: Sonic Rush Adventure is greater than Sonic 4. Why revert to the past when we can excel in the modern day? A green eyed Sonic in a modern 2D game makes perfect sense, but a green eyed Sonic in a modern pose of a retro game makes much less sense.

How can you claim the fall of Sonic Team for just Sonic 06? They made Sonic Adventure 2 nearly flawlessly IMO, so how can you not blame them for making a game that qualifies less? You make it sound like they've lost their touch. If they can make an SA2 at a great quality as it is, they can do the same with an SA3. I think the real problem is that Yuji Naka is no longer with Sonic Team. Since he's left (and in his final days) the Sonic games have gone downhill in the 3D department. He's a major reason why. But, that doesn't compensate for the fact of what Sonic Team did and what they can do to make a full 3D game just as great as SA2 or better.

You have got a point there...

Although they should try a few other colors for Sonic's eyes (for variety) although this doesn't really matter.

And hopefully they can make a good 3D game, and maybe Yuji Naka will come back to Sonic Team soon.
    Jmh
    Jmh

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Imagee10

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medalw11What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? White10What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medal13

Rep67

Post by Jmh January 22nd 2011, 7:22 pm

Sweet Mercy wrote:

Really..

Fair point. You wouldn't even notice eye color most of the time. I mean, unless you can see really well or something.

Perhaps something more worthy of complaining about is how they have FAILED to put King Maximilian Acorn in any Sonic games.... or how they don't let the player play as Eggman/Robotnik.
    Oh hell no...
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 January 22nd 2011, 8:25 pm

Sweet Mercy wrote:
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:

Although they should try a few other colors for Sonic's eyes (for variety) although this doesn't really matter.

And hopefully they can make a good 3D game, and maybe Yuji Naka will come back to Sonic Team soon.

Finally someone who agrees with me in the Sonic community!

Though I do have a strong belief on the eye color thing, but what the heck, I'm more concerned with the game than I am with the eye color, and the game itself just doesn't look enjoyable.
    Shade
    Shade

Rep2

Post by Shade January 23rd 2011, 12:48 pm

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:
    Sweet Mercy wrote:

Though I do have a strong belief on the eye color thing, but what the heck, I'm more concerned with the game than I am with the eye color, and the game itself just doesn't look enjoyable.

Yeah.

Well, eye color isn't generally important, but it sometimes makes a difference
    Phantom
    Phantom

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medal13

Rep11

Post by Phantom January 23rd 2011, 2:15 pm

Sweet Mercy wrote:
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:

Yeah.

I've never understood the whole controversy with the eye color. Sonic has had green irises since 1999 with the release of Sonic Adventure, and I heard no objections being raised for all that time. I remember someone asking once would it have made a difference in the games if Mario wore his cap backwards for some reason.
    Doodle
    Doodle

Rep5

Post by Doodle January 23rd 2011, 2:38 pm

Phantom wrote:
    Sweet Mercy wrote:

Yeah.

I've never understood the whole controversy with the eye color. Sonic has had green irises since 1999 with the release of Sonic Adventure, and I heard no objections being raised for all that time. I remember someone asking once would it have made a difference in the games if Mario wore his cap backwards for some reason.

Well, Mario's hat is symbolic, it's trademarked and occasionally used as an official Nintendo symbol. Eye color is NOT symbolic.
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medalw11What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Zigzag10What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? White10What would you want Sonic 4: Episode 2 to have? Medal13

Rep26

Post by Auflodern January 23rd 2011, 3:51 pm

Suspicious Bush wrote:
    Phantom wrote:

Well, Mario's hat is symbolic, it's trademarked and occasionally used as an official Nintendo symbol. Eye color is NOT symbolic.

Yeah if Mario took off his cap for a game I'd be pissed, if Sonic got color changing contacts I'd be indifferent.
    merzitar
    merzitar

Rep0

Post by merzitar January 25th 2011, 7:03 pm

Three words:

Miles "Tails" Prower
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

Rep16

Post by Super Racer Z January 25th 2011, 11:59 pm

Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:
    Super Racer Z wrote:

I'm not claiming the fall of Sonic Team, I'm claiming that they might not yet be capable of producing a game which could carry the Sonic Adventure franchise to the next generation of gaming because the closest they've gotten to the Sonic Adventure gameplay formula was Sonic 06. The second closest they've gotten was Sonic Unleashed, but the gameplay was completely different and less platforming oriented. They could probably make a successor to the Sonic Adventure games which surpasses them in every way eventually, but only if they learn what made those games great and what held them back. SA3 for Sonic's 25th anniversary just seems like a better idea to me.
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Adventure 2

Rep7

Post by Sonic Adventure 2 January 26th 2011, 1:06 pm

Super Racer Z wrote:
    Sonic Adventure 2 wrote:

I'm not claiming the fall of Sonic Team, I'm claiming that they might not yet be capable of producing a game which could carry the Sonic Adventure franchise to the next generation of gaming because the closest they've gotten to the Sonic Adventure gameplay formula was Sonic 06. The second closest they've gotten was Sonic Unleashed, but the gameplay was completely different and less platforming oriented. They could probably make a successor to the Sonic Adventure games which surpasses them in every way eventually, but only if they learn what made those games great and what held them back. SA3 for Sonic's 25th anniversary just seems like a better idea to me.

My point is though that they've made a great game called Sonic Adventure 2 which clearly chows they are capable of making a great 3D Sonic game. I go by the theory that if it has been done once, it can be done again. It's really not that hard.

Though I'm not disregarding the loss of Yuji Naka which could have made the series spiral downward since he was a main man back when the Adventure series was around (then again, he was there for Sonic 06, so this may or may not be worth the talk). Nonetheless, when Naka was there, 3D games were in tact, and now that's he's gone, they aren't the biggest factor in Sonic's world.

Instead, I believe we get these cheap rip-offs of a full fledged 3D adventure.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content