3 posters

Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011

Phantom
    Phantom

Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 VOZLn

Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 Medal13

: Male
     Rep11

Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 Empty Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011

Post by Phantom June 9th 2011, 1:56 pm

Last night, I had the pleasure of attending the Sonic Boom 2011 event in Los Angeles, where I collected some swag (which I will disperse among my friends), took some pictures (like these), saw Crush 40 perform live, met the cast of the Needlemouse Musical, and played a demo of Sonic Generations.

Here's what I have to say about it...
    (CAUTION: SPOILERS!)

Here’s the rundown: you can choose either Classic Sonic or Modern Sonic. Classic Sonic plays pretty much like you expect him to: running on a 2D plane from left to right. Simple as that. There’s still spin-dashing done the old-fashioned way, but only once was there a prompt to use one button for it. Green Hill was not exactly re-created verbatim from the Genesis games, but it did look utterly fantastic. And those physics issues that people kept squawking about? Completely gone (take your thumb off the D-pad and he doesn't stop on a dime). If anything, it does seem to actually sort of force the player to go really fast in some instances, but by then you’re already on the move. It’s not like the Genesis games didn’t do that either. Also I did have some difficulty attacking some robots that were almost blended in with the background, doubly so at high speeds.

Modern Sonic handles a different way. If you like (the daytime stages of ) Unleashed, then this is right up your alley. There’s the Boost button, some button prompts here and there (mostly just to slide under something), and getting some airtime is a chance to pull off some fancy moves that raise your overall score. It’s also nice how they handled the grading system this time around: now there’s a visual representation of how well you did. What would help would be if there was a little reward given for higher scores, say, extra lives or an unlockable bonus thingy.

All things considered, this is awesome. Can’t wait to play the finished piece.
    Hushimo
    Hushimo

Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 GOMM8

Rep38

Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 Empty Re: Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011

Post by Hushimo June 9th 2011, 2:25 pm

The thing that's bothered me about the grading system is it seems inconsistent with past games, some times if you finish a level in 30 seconds you'll get an S, and other times that just merits a D. Some stages seem to favor ring count, and others overall score, I'm not sure what the overall formula is, but it's always confused me.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 ZtZYh

Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 Blackr10Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 Medalw11Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 Zigzag10Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 White10Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 Medal13Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 2nio02t

Rep76

Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 Empty Re: Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011

Post by The Freedom Fighter June 9th 2011, 3:03 pm

Usually it's based on score, so if the time gives you enough points, that will be the reason you get a high rank.
    Phantom
    Phantom

Rep11

Post by Phantom June 9th 2011, 9:44 pm

This appears to be based on time completed, Rings, and probably score accumulated throughout the level.
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 ZtZYh

Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 Blackr10Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 Medalw11Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 Zigzag10Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 White10Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 Medal13Personal Impressions from Sonic Boom 2011 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter June 10th 2011, 12:18 pm

Yeah, that sounds fine. Are the ranks by chance A-E?
    Phantom
    Phantom

Rep11

Post by Phantom June 10th 2011, 2:29 pm

The Freedom Fighter wrote:Yeah, that sounds fine. Are the ranks by chance A-E?

Yes. I also got a few S ranks as well. Whichever Sonic you play as does a different celebratory animation depending on your rank. I thought that was kinda clever.

I also really love the times where you break the plane and bounce off things in the background (like the giant totem poles and things). So yeah, from what I've played, this game looks like it's going to be a keeper.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content