ForuMotion's TSC Review

Plix
    Plix

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 VOZLn

: Male
     Rep13

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Empty Re: ForuMotion's TSC Review

Post by Plix July 19th 2010, 12:52 am

Guys, it is one person's opinion. There honestly is no "best forum" or "worst forum" out there, it's just what people think. Enjoy what you want, dislike the rest...it's that simple.
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medalw11ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Zigzag10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 White10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medal13

Rep26

Post by Auflodern July 19th 2010, 9:06 am

Super Racer Z wrote: I'm pretty prizes wouldn't help that much.

Can no one in this topic use correct grammar!?!
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 ZtZYh

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Blackr10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medalw11ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Zigzag10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 White10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medal13ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter July 19th 2010, 9:37 am

Auflodern wrote:

This review is a virus.
    Shade
    Shade

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medalw11ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Zigzag10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medal13

Rep2

Post by Shade July 19th 2010, 11:28 am

Perhaps the reason that Zez didn't want Drogba921 to review our forum is that he would give it the sort of ridiculously low score he has just given us. Perhaps someone like techguy1001 or Rok would have given us a higher score.
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 56qtD

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medalw11ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medal13

Rep16

Post by Super Racer Z July 20th 2010, 4:47 am

Auflodern wrote:

One word. You cannot say I didn't use correct grammar when three words out of 2,389 typed characters. "Three words?" you ask? Yes, I also admit that I noticed two other words that were gone near the spot. "The usergroups (are fine), and it seems he agreed." If anything, you should have used that example.

BTW, doesn't it seem you're all being just bit rash about the whole thing? Wouldn't it be more productive and helpful to try and understand the reasoning behind his critiques instead of assuming that the whole review was terrible because of the damned numeral values?
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medalw11ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Zigzag10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 White10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medal13

Rep26

Post by Auflodern July 20th 2010, 9:51 am

Super Racer Z wrote:
    Auflodern wrote:

One word. You cannot say I didn't use correct grammar when three words out of 2,389 typed characters. "Three words?" you ask? Yes, I also admit that I noticed two other words that were gone near the spot. "The usergroups (are fine), and it seems he agreed." If anything, you should have used that example.

BTW, doesn't it seem you're all being just bit rash about the whole thing? Wouldn't it be more productive and helpful to try and understand the reasoning behind his critiques instead of assuming that the whole review was terrible because of the damned numeral values?

Without numbers we wouldn't be talking to each other right now. So why don't you sit down in that chair right there and let me do my job.
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medalw11ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medal13

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 July 20th 2010, 12:19 pm

karkooshy wrote:Not exactly.
    You can't review something if you're biased.
    If he hates dark skins, that's his problem. He shouldn't include it in the review. Saying a web-skin is bad just cause is dark, is very biased.

......Well, how else do you review something? You can't just review it in a generic sense to make everyone happy. You look at it from YOUR own point of view. Personally, I find the dark skin better for the eyes if some hate brightness. And the words we should be looking at are the words "personally" and "some", because not everyone will be the same. What you just posted, kar, came from your own personal point of preference. What he just reviewed came from his.

This is what an unbiased review would probably look like, kar: http://www.destructoid.com/100-objective-review-final-fantasy-xiii-179178.phtml

However, I'm wondering why the guy didn't give us an overall score. And personally, I think this forum deserved at the least, a B+ overall. Sure, there are cons, but I find that the pros outweigh those cons any day.
    Zezima
    Zezima
    Adeio Vasilia
    Adeio Vasilia

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Blackr10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 White10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 2nio02t

Rep80

Post by Zezima July 20th 2010, 1:57 pm

SonicFanPS2 wrote:This is what an unbiased review would probably look like, kar: http://www.destructoid.com/100-objective-review-final-fantasy-xiii-179178.phtml

"A few people have claimed recently that they want completely objective and unbiased reviews lacking personal opinion. I have been criticized for using my own feelings and thoughts when writing a review, which I am informed is actually a bad way to review videogames. My latest Jimquisition video tackled this subject, but the critics didn't understand it.

With that in mind, I have decided to actually put their "objective reviews can be written" theory to the test and am now re-reviewing a game in a manner that completely negates subjective and personal thought. I decided to use Final Fantasy XIII, one of Destructoid's most controversial reviews, as the guinea pig, so please enjoy this brand-new review -- untainted by opinion, uncolored by emotion, and unclouded by my own personal thoughts.

Does it make for a better, more insightful, ultimately more useful review? I can't say ... I don't have an opinion on the matter!

Final Fantasy XIII is a videogame released on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It was developed by Square Enix. It stars characters. One of the characters is called Lightning and that is the main character of the game that can be played with a controller. The game's story is about Lightning and a collection of other characters who must fight some other characters called Fal'Sie and save a planet called Cocoon. The story has a beginning and an ending and a middle bit.

Final Fantasy XIII belongs to the role-playing-game genre of videogames, more specifically a genre that some people dub "JRPG" with "J" standing for Japanese. Final Fantasy XIII was developed in Japan which would make this genre designation accurate. The game has things in it that other JRPGs have, such as leveling up and weapons and shops.

The battle system is a battle system. In this battle system players select commands for one character while other characters are controlled by the game's AI. Players can manually designate commands or let the AI decide which course of action is best. There is a system called the Paradigm shift which is new to Final Fantasy XIII and it allows players to pre-program how characters behave and the player can swap these behavior patterns whenever they want during a battle to deal with different circumstances. Many people enjoy the Paradigm system, but other people do not like it so much.

Player have the ability to restart a battle if it does not go well which you may or may not find useful depending on your personal preference. You might also find weapon leveling useful but that's only if you find weapon leveling useful, so whether or not you find weapon leveling useful is down to how useful you ultimately find weapon leveling.

You can save the game if you want sometimes.

The videogame has graphics and sound. The graphics are seen with your eyes and the sound is heard by your ears. When you start the game the graphics and the sound will occur almost at the same time, letting you know that the game has started. There is also text which players can read.

If you buy Final Fantasy XIII and like it, then you like Final Fantasy XIII. If you buy Final Fantasy XIII and don't like it, then you don't like Final Fantasy XIII. It has things in it that some people might enjoy but other people who have different ideas of what is enjoyable may not actually enjoy it.

In conclusion, Final Fantasy XIII is a videogame.
    "

If anyone actually reads what this guy wrote, they'll understand that this isn't a review. It's either a moron or a robot trying to understand what a video game is. Having no opinion whatsoever does not make something unbiased, it excludes it from the entire realm of reviewing. You can have an opinion and still be unbiased.
    Shade
    Shade

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medalw11ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Zigzag10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medal13

Rep2

Post by Shade July 20th 2010, 2:01 pm

"A few people have claimed recently that they want completely objective and unbiased reviews lacking personal opinion. I have been criticized for using my own feelings and thoughts when writing a review, which I am informed is actually a bad way to review videogames. My latest Jimquisition video tackled this subject, but the critics didn't understand it.

With that in mind, I have decided to actually put their "objective reviews can be written" theory to the test and am now re-reviewing a game in a manner that completely negates subjective and personal thought. I decided to use Final Fantasy XIII, one of Destructoid's most controversial reviews, as the guinea pig, so please enjoy this brand-new review -- untainted by opinion, uncolored by emotion, and unclouded by my own personal thoughts.

Does it make for a better, more insightful, ultimately more useful review? I can't say ... I don't have an opinion on the matter!

Final Fantasy XIII is a videogame released on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It was developed by Square Enix. It stars characters. One of the characters is called Lightning and that is the main character of the game that can be played with a controller. The game's story is about Lightning and a collection of other characters who must fight some other characters called Fal'Sie and save a planet called Cocoon. The story has a beginning and an ending and a middle bit.

Final Fantasy XIII belongs to the role-playing-game genre of videogames, more specifically a genre that some people dub "JRPG" with "J" standing for Japanese. Final Fantasy XIII was developed in Japan which would make this genre designation accurate. The game has things in it that other JRPGs have, such as leveling up and weapons and shops.

The battle system is a battle system. In this battle system players select commands for one character while other characters are controlled by the game's AI. Players can manually designate commands or let the AI decide which course of action is best. There is a system called the Paradigm shift which is new to Final Fantasy XIII and it allows players to pre-program how characters behave and the player can swap these behavior patterns whenever they want during a battle to deal with different circumstances. Many people enjoy the Paradigm system, but other people do not like it so much.

Player have the ability to restart a battle if it does not go well which you may or may not find useful depending on your personal preference. You might also find weapon leveling useful but that's only if you find weapon leveling useful, so whether or not you find weapon leveling useful is down to how useful you ultimately find weapon leveling.

You can save the game if you want sometimes.

The videogame has graphics and sound. The graphics are seen with your eyes and the sound is heard by your ears. When you start the game the graphics and the sound will occur almost at the same time, letting you know that the game has started. There is also text which players can read.

If you buy Final Fantasy XIII and like it, then you like Final Fantasy XIII. If you buy Final Fantasy XIII and don't like it, then you don't like Final Fantasy XIII. It has things in it that some people might enjoy but other people who have different ideas of what is enjoyable may not actually enjoy it.

In conclusion, Final Fantasy XIII is a videogame."

I agree with Zezima; that's not really a review. Having no opinion included in the text just makes it a random, useless compilation of facts. As long as the argument is balanced, unbiased and reasoned, then it does not matter if there is an opinion included in the text (as long as it is not too strong).
    karkooshy
    karkooshy

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Imagee10

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medalg10

Rep9

Post by karkooshy July 20th 2010, 3:20 pm

Zezima wrote:Having no opinion whatsoever does not make something unbiased, it excludes it from the entire realm of reviewing. You can have an opinion and still be unbiased.

and

Sweet Silence wrote:As long as the argument is balanced, unbiased and reasoned, then it does not matter if there is an opinion included in the text (as long as it is not too strong).

Could not have said it any better :)
    Having an opinion doesn't mean you're biased.
    Bias= Prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person or group compared with another, in a way considered to be unfair.
    Opinion= A view or judgment formed about something.

Opinions are not important in reviews, the review IS an opinion (supported by facts ofcourse). Opinions and Prejudice are two completely different things.
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 July 20th 2010, 3:35 pm

karkooshy wrote:
    Zezima wrote:Having no opinion whatsoever does not make something unbiased, it excludes it from the entire realm of reviewing. You can have an opinion and still be unbiased.

and

Sweet Silence wrote:As long as the argument is balanced, unbiased and reasoned, then it does not matter if there is an opinion included in the text (as long as it is not too strong).

Could not have said it any better :)
    Having an opinion doesn't mean you're biased.
    Bias= Prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person or group compared with another, in a way considered to be unfair.
    Opinion= A view or judgment formed about something.

Opinions are not important in reviews, the review IS an opinion (supported by facts ofcourse). Opinions and Prejudice are two completely different things.

They may be two completely different things, but people relate them together. Your judgment of one thing would put it in a way that would be considered to be unfair.

Example: I find vanilla to taste better than chocolate. That is your own opinion, and it is in favor of vanilla. It would be unfair to people who like chocolate more than vanilla. Of course, you can like both, but what you said about the forum reviewer being biased was most likely his own opinion of liking brighter skins than darker skins.

I also agree with Aed about his statement on an argument. As long as its balanced, it should be okay for both sides. I also agree with Zezima's statement.

Also, I'm wondering why you guys argued against only one part of my entire statement...
    karkooshy
    karkooshy

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Imagee10

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medalg10

Rep9

Post by karkooshy July 20th 2010, 3:42 pm

SonicFanPS2 wrote:Example: I find vanilla to taste better than chocolate. That is your own opinion, and it is in favor of vanilla.
    Then you can't write a review about Chocolate ice-cream. Atleast, you can't write a review and include the point that you prefer Vanilla over Chocolate because we didn't ask you what you liked or not, we asked you to rate and review what's there infront of you :faic:
    Shade
    Shade

Rep2

Post by Shade July 20th 2010, 4:02 pm

karkooshy wrote:
    SonicFanPS2 wrote:Example: I find vanilla to taste better than chocolate. That is your own opinion, and it is in favor of vanilla.
    Then you can't write a review about Chocolate ice-cream. Atleast, you can't write a review and include the point that you prefer Vanilla over Chocolate because we didn't ask you what you liked or not, we asked you to rate and review what's there infront of you :faic:

Vanilla with Chocolate is OK, but I don't like it when it's on Ice Cream.
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 July 20th 2010, 8:50 pm

karkooshy wrote:

So in other words, you're saying that he can't write this review. However, I can't see anyone keep him from doing it. Also, he IS reviewing what is in front of him, from his own personal perspective. He just added a few nitpicks of his own, which most reviews have sometimes. If you really have a problem with the review, I'm sure that you can ask another guy from Forumotion to review the forum, unless they only allow one review per forum.

Sweet Silence wrote:
    karkooshy wrote:

Vanilla with Chocolate is OK, but I don't like it when it's on Ice Cream.

Eh, it's not that bad. A bit bitter, but not bad, personally.

The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Blackr10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medalw11ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Zigzag10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 White10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Medal13ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 2nio02t

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter July 20th 2010, 9:17 pm

The only problem is the review is basically saying dark is no good, bright equals win. And we know that's too opinionated to be a deciding factor. Now, if he thinks it doesn't match the mood of the site or doesn't work well for us, then that's fine. But to say dark isn't good to use just feels wrong.
    Either way the review isn't that great, as I pointed out in both my review review and the recalculated points. He could have done better, but oh well. I'd suggest to all to not let this get to you. After all, it's just his opinion.
    SonicFanPS2
    SonicFanPS2

Rep12

Post by SonicFanPS2 July 20th 2010, 9:33 pm

The Freedom Fighter wrote:The only problem is the review is basically saying dark is no good, bright equals win. And we know that's too opinionated to be a deciding factor. Now, if he thinks it doesn't match the mood of the site or doesn't work well for us, then that's fine. But to say dark isn't good to use just feels wrong.
    Either way the review isn't that great, as I pointed out in both my review review and the recalculated points. He could have done better, but oh well. I'd suggest to all to not let this get to you. After all, it's just his opinion.

You're right on every point, Freedom. So...let's just forget about this review and continue on with our daily lives, then?
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

Rep26

Post by Auflodern July 20th 2010, 10:05 pm

SonicFanPS2 wrote:
    The Freedom Fighter wrote:The only problem is the review is basically saying dark is no good, bright equals win. And we know that's too opinionated to be a deciding factor. Now, if he thinks it doesn't match the mood of the site or doesn't work well for us, then that's fine. But to say dark isn't good to use just feels wrong.

You're right on every point, Freedom. So...let's just forget about this review and continue on with our daily lives, then?

NO! We will continue to discuss this until we realize that there is a world outside of our caves!
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter July 20th 2010, 10:38 pm

Auflodern wrote:
    SonicFanPS2 wrote:

NO! We will continue to discuss this until we realize that there is a world outside of our caves!
    Sheesh, you have a cave? How did you get that? Never thought the government would be will to rent those out.
    But seriously, we all know that. We're just trying to protect our "cave," which is admirable, truly.
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

Rep16

Post by Super Racer Z July 21st 2010, 12:04 am

first impressions wrote:It's a little dark for my liking, and I recommend adding maybe other options for your background such as lighter options. Your font is the other thing i noticed. I don't particularly like the Times font on a forum, maybe switch it to something more stylish (Note: This is just my opinion)
    Forum Layout & Colors wrote:Colors... Hmm... It's too dark for my liking, Like i suggested before maybe have different color choices hooked into your theme (I don't know how to do this so you'll have to ask someone who does to follow through with it.)
    Basically, he's saying that making a lighter secondary skin to give users the option of what colors the forum uses, and that he thinks the font is generic(or at least wants something more stylized). He gave a 15/20 on first impressions, and a 6/10 on Forum Layout & Colors(though this also counted some grammatical errors and the way things are listed out). He never said that bright equals win, or that dark is not good.
    Zezima
    Zezima
    Adeio Vasilia
    Adeio Vasilia

ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 Blackr10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 White10ForuMotion's TSC Review - Page 2 2nio02t

Rep80

Post by Zezima July 21st 2010, 12:08 am

He said he doesn't like it because it's dark. He deducted points because he doesn't like dark.
    Super Racer Z
    Super Racer Z

Rep16

Post by Super Racer Z July 21st 2010, 7:31 am

Zezima wrote:He said he doesn't like it because it's dark. He deducted points because he doesn't like dark.

As I've discussed about the forum layout above, there's some things that can be improved (Check my list)... To repeat, there are some grammar issues, and also some of the forums don't belong in their categories.

There's that and the text mention as well. He also specified that it'd be better if we had options. We have a skin selector feature, so mention of allowing users to have the option of how they want the skin seems like a perfectly valid suggestion IMO.
    Shade
    Shade

Rep2

Post by Shade July 21st 2010, 7:36 am

Super Racer Z wrote:
    Zezima wrote:He said he doesn't like it because it's dark. He deducted points because he doesn't like dark.

As I've discussed about the forum layout above, there's some things that can be improved (Check my list)... To repeat, there are some grammar issues, and also some of the forums don't belong in their categories.

There's that and the text mention as well. He also specified that it'd be better if we had options. We have a skin selector feature, so mention of allowing users to have the option of how they want the skin seems like a perfectly valid suggestion IMO.

Does this mean that we should try experimenting with different themes?
    The Freedom Fighter
    The Freedom Fighter

Rep76

Post by The Freedom Fighter July 21st 2010, 8:35 am

Very true SRZ, but either way he deducted us because we don't give the option for other colors. And while I would enjoy it if we could get that Skin Selector (still dislike the name, by the way) working, it's not our fault that it's a huge project of annoyingness.
    Really, like I said, we lost the 5 points for font and color.
    Auflodern
    Auflodern

Rep26

Post by Auflodern July 21st 2010, 8:35 am

Sweet Silence wrote:
    Super Racer Z wrote:

Yes it does.
    Shade
    Shade

Rep2

Post by Shade July 21st 2010, 10:32 am

Auflodern wrote:
    Sweet Silence wrote:

Yes it does.

Perhaps trying grey or silver would be a good idea, I think.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content